• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Magnus said:
I retract a previous statement.

The 360's framerate wins this. I put them both through their paces running through the most crowded town I have access to, and as much as it pains me to say it (being a PS3 fanboy), I might go with the 360 version since the most fluid image ranks up there for me on the list of priorities.

But seriously, really, they're both amazing. I'm just doing this for interest's sake. :lol

(fuck me though, I want that exclusive outfit :lol )

But goddamn, this system's loud. I only have a 20gb, and probably don't have room to install this. Let's see what I can delete, haha.

I'm still grabbing the PS3 version, but is it like, a large difference in frame rate, or is it relatively small/subtle?

Dynamic3

Magnus said:

The 360's framerate wins this. I put them both through their paces running through the most crowded town I have access to, and as much as it pains me to say it (being a PS3 fanboy), I might go with the 360 version since the most fluid image ranks up there for me on the list of priorities.

But seriously, really, they're both amazing. I'm just doing this for interest's sake. :lol

But goddamn, this system's loud. I only have a 20gb, and probably don't have room to install this. Let's see what I can delete, haha.

Is it a huge (dealbreaking) difference, or just a slight noticeable difference?

What about the still image, any differences in sharpness or jaggies?

Thanks again.

Magnus

UrbanRats said:
Magnus, can you answer this question? :D

Haha, I haven't gone out to hunt much yet, but so far, every animal I've come across has been keenly aware of my presence long before I came close to them. Those hyenas or wolves or whatever are destructive.

And yeah, without even going into gun battles, I just sat myself down in the first town and mosey'd around the exact same spot in both games, flung the camera around, had a look at textures, what have you. The 360's image was fluid, and the PS3's framerate took a slight hit as I careened wildly around. Sorry Sony brothers, I'm trying to be as objective as I can. :lol

TV display settings are identical now for both settings, as much as I can make them, aside from the difference in cabling for both.

Again, they're both goddamn great. Everyone will be very happy.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm still grabbing the PS3 version, but is it like, a large difference in frame rate, or is it relatively small/subtle?

Everyone's tolerance for framerate dips is different. Some people get pissed when things look even slightly choppy, and some think everyone is overreacting unless it drops below 10 fps or something.

I find myself rather sensitive toward fps over the last few years. It's like, one of the bigger deals for me when it comes to games lately. For me, the one issue alone is making me lean toward 360 right now, because side by side, it's definitely noticeable to a small degree, even without a lot of action taking place on screen.

I stared at a couple randomly chosen textures on both, and while it's not a level playing ground really (360 component 720p now, PS3 HDMI 720p and who knows how the display settings might vary on each console -- not gonna go and adjust shit like Super White and Dynamic Black Hole Gamma Burst sensitivity or whatever), but man, the detail on textures just looked sharper on the 360. What can I say.

Prefaced with my usual: both versions are fucking great.

Loudninja

Magnus said:
Haha, I haven't gone out to hunt much yet, but so far, every animal I've come across has been keenly aware of my presence long before I came close to them. Those hyenas or wolves or whatever are destructive.

And yeah, without even going into gun battles, I just sat myself down in the first town and mosey'd around the exact same spot in both games, flung the camera around, had a look at textures, what have you. The 360's image was fluid, and the PS3's framerate took a slight hit as I careened wildly around. Sorry Sony brothers, I'm trying to be as objective as I can. :lol

TV display settings are identical now for both settings, as much as I can make them, aside from the difference in cabling for both.

Again, they're both goddamn great. Everyone will be very happy.

Dude keep doing what you doing fair impressions are hard to come by.

NIGHT-

Magnus said:

Sounds like the 360 version is best for me. Thanks :D

Magnus

Big Ass Ramp said:
Magnus: user of the month.

No matter what I say, I'm going to end up pissing someone off. :lol Wish I could do better.

Man, so I installed the game to my 360 HD...why the fuck is the system just as loud as it was before. :lol I thought the whole point of game installs was to quiet the system down and reduce the stress on the disc drive.

Teknoman

If its nothing unplayable or that drastically different from the norm, im good. As long as its nothing like Bayonetta, where there was a clear difference.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Any word on how dense the game world is with things to explore? My fear is that the world might be huge, but there might not be much to see & do in it. I mean I know there's a lot, but I'm concerned that there might be large stretches of land without any real feature.

I know there's lots of random/emergent events, but it seems like after a few hours people will be saying "oh another random event" and will just ride past, since none of them really "matters." ...

Magnus

Teknoman said:
If its nothing unplayable or that drastically different from the norm, im good. As long as its nothing like Bayonetta, where there was a clear difference.

Oh no, the word unplayable doesn't belong anywhere near this. It's great.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Magnus said:
No matter what I say, I'm going to end up pissing someone off. :lol Wish I could do better.

Man, so I installed the game to my 360 HD...why the fuck is the system just as loud as it was before. :lol I thought the whole point of game installs was to quiet the system down and reduce the stress on the disc drive.

Man, don't worry about it.

haters.jpg

Callback!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Thanks Magnus Im a Sony fanboy as often, Had this bought for 360 than decided to go with PS3 due to exclusives, but now im going back to 360.

Makes sense for me especially if I wanted to do alot of Multiplayer. I know the hole live vs PSn debate suxks but its far easier to party chat, grab a few friends and get playing on the 360 and with better framerate and sharper graphics that pretty much seals the deal..

Thanks 1000 percent once again..

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Magnus said:

what's the one achievement you've gotten so far? it's listed as a "secret achievement" and won't let me see it.

Magnus said:
Edit-No one's gonna get pissed off by unbiased info that you're providing. If they do, they're just a bunch of fanboys who can't deal with the truth.

K' Dash

Magnus said:

what? that's impossible, what 360 model are you playing this? mine is VERY quiet.

Magnus said:

Wicked. That's good to know.

Thanks for all the help, Magnus. It's much appreciated that you go to so much effort to clear stuff up for everyone.

lincoln_awesome.jpg

GDJustin said:
Any word on how dense the game world is with things to explore? My fear is that the world might be huge, but there might not be much to see & do in it. I mean I know there's a lot, but I'm concerned that there might be large stretches of land without any real feature.

I know there's lots of random/emergent events, but it seems like after a few hours people will be saying "oh another random event" and will just ride past, since none of them really "matters." ...

From the random events I've seen in streams, they're pretty fucking awesome and quite frequent. Even out in the middle of nowhere a streamer was treasure hunting and all of the sudden he hears an NPC screaming. Turns around and sees a guy getting chased by coyotes, in his attempt to save him he accidentally shot the victim as well. :lol

Also there are gang hideouts to clear, among other things. Check the RDR site for more info.

Magnus

K' Dash said:
what? that's impossible, what 360 model are you playing this? mine is VERY quiet.

A launch one. Maybe my disc drive was actually really quiet to begin with, and the system was just the noise it was already. :lol It's not ear-splittingly loud. It basically gets masked by most games' sound, but Redemption of all games thrives on moments of quiet stillness when you're out in the wilderness. Whatever sound my 360 is making is punctuating that like an airhorn.

Yeah, so the more I play, the clearer it is. Framerate whores know which version to get.

In the short time I've had with the 360 version though, I've already had two experiences where character models behaved completely out of whack. A scared townsperson ran away from me, but didn't actually animate, she just floated around in a run pose. Another time, a victim falling from a horse fell through the ground and kind of floated back up out of it quickly. I also saw the first major NPC in the game behave more jerkily in her animations. Take from all that what you will.

Magnus

miladesn said:
<3 Magnus' posts, funniest comparisons I've ever read :lol , thanks man.

I'm a simple man. :( :lol

On a personal note, the comments some of you made regarding open world/constant-streaming games and the associated stresses on disc drives made me think I'd rather kill my 360 drive than my PS3 launch 60gb drive with this game, since I'm going to play it a lot.

And to think, this shit wasn't on my radar a week ago. :lol

mujun

Billy Mitchell said:
Playing and interacting online with the ps3 community is a far more enjoyable experience then on the 360. All multiplayer games I buy for the ps3 now. I refuse to resubscribe to live. Anybody saying live is a better online experience either doesn't own a ps3 to know the difference or is trying to justify their wasted money on the live service.

How is it more enjoyable on the PS3? Because you enjoy spending money on a headset or because you enjoy not having to pay a yearly fee for the online service?

Thanks for the good comparison impression Magus; pretty much what we expected.

The MP look really fun but I don't think I'm ever going to play in an auto aim room.

Top Bottom