• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED GODDESS - 2.5D Metroidvania Kickstarter - PC, MAC, LINUX, PS4, PSVita, WiiU

maxcriden

**Update**

Gamepad demo triggers virus scan red flags.

Just caught sight of this impressive new KS today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yanimstudio/red-goddess-inner-world

Windows early demo available. Asking $30K with early bird console $15 tier.

2520763c8f6c0e4e8376bae73fd46dd0_large.jpg

GAMEPLAY

•Shoot, Punch or Turn invisible. The 3 playable characters have their own unique skills and abilities which bring about different gameplay strategies. Players have to figure out which character is best suited to fight dangerous enemies and get past each challenge. Brawling action meet puzzle platform, combats are turned into puzzles.
•Explore a mysterious Planet dominated by the subconscious mind of the main character. The Planet itself is a character that players have to interact with and eventually defeat. (Go to “Planet” section for more information)

CORE MECHANICS
The gameplay boasts a couple of original mechanics, such as “split character”, and “enter the mind of enemies”:
•Character ball gameplay, you can select only “half” of the main character (either Rage or Fear). The other half is inactive and appears as a ball. You can grab this ball and throw it in order to: damage enemies or gain access to areas that are out of reach.
•Enter the mind of enemies. Stun your enemies and enter their minds. Taking over their minds is like walking through a door. You will then gain access to new secret chambers with puzzles to solve and lost memories to recover.
•Unlock Powers. You will have to find and collect memory crystals to unlock new skills and enter new zones.

86e3adf43cadcb9cf57c05e5f0f4ae41_large.gif

490664e08ffd7a698017460a3b903466_large.jpg

Much more at the link!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yanimstudio/red-goddess-inner-world

Oh nice, demo already available. I'll have to DL it when I get home.

Is it a bit concerning they don't seem to be asking too much money though for the amount of systems they are targeting?

The base goal looks really low in my opinion. Seriously, that's 6 platforms, for only 30k bucks.

Also promising the PS4/Vita/Wii U download codes as a reward for funding seems really suspicious. Not even a mention if they've had contact with Sony and Nintendo yet.

I'd stay away from that kickstarter to be honest.

edit:
Also they don't mention specifically if they mean to have all those versions ready at the same time. They're aiming at March 2015 and that seems pretty early for having all the versions ready.

maxcriden

The base goal looks really low in my opinion. Seriously, that's 6 platforms, for only 30k bucks.

Also promising the PS4/Vita/Wii U download codes as a reward for funding seems really suspicious. Not even a mention if they've had contact with Sony and Nintendo yet.

I'd stay away from that kickstarter to be honest.

I appreciate your insight; that's troubling to hear. Is that all such an unusual practice, though? I guess I assumed they must've already been in touch with Sony and Nintendo?

Lunar15

I think it's funny that the only people uninterested in making Metroidvanias are the people who make Metroid and Castlevania.

I appreciate your insight; that's troubling to hear. Is that all such an unusual practice, though? I guess I assumed they must've already been in touch with Sony and Nintendo?
At the very least devs usually say in their kickstarter that the console versions are pending until they get approved by the platform holder. It is quite usual that they don't offer the console versions as rewards just like that, but it's not uncommon to do it either. They really shouldn't do it though as they can't be sure they can offer the download codes for free (props for the dev of Heathforth, Alicia for making this sure and not promising it before they were sure). Might be that just simply haven't given it a thought, but it certainly doesn't insprire confidence.

If they have been already in talks with Nintendo and Sony then good of course, but they really should say it.

Must say though that offering a playable demo is a good sign.

edit:
Also if it's a relaunch like people are saying, I wonder what was the original goal. They might be quite desperate with their money situation and thus might be throwing promises a bit carelessly.

Mithos

edit:
Also if it's a relaunch like people are saying, I wonder what was the original goal. They might be quite desperate with their money situation and thus might be throwing promises a bit carelessly.

Original goal last time around were $50,000, they reached ~$39,000 ish.

I like the new design on the heroine and her outfit, hope that's the new ingame outfit too.

edit:
Apparently it is.

Yanim studio said:
What do you think about the new Divine??
Josh Wise said:
@Yanim, You gave her a new design. Are you going to change that in the game?
Yanim studio said:
@Josh Wise, yes we'll change in the game as well.. do you like?

Marcel

I don't really care for the art style. Pass.

I'm sure we'll get another Metroidvania to decide on soon.

Ocaso

That's fine. I'm not tired of the genre.
I'm more tired of all the poor attempts at it.

Who's really attempting it? Last proper attempt was Shadow Complex.

Maybe Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, but it was still too linear if you ask me. Lots of things just use the term as some sort of buzzword.

Fantasmo

Who's really attempting it? Last proper attempt was Shadow Complex.

Maybe Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, but it was still too linear if you ask me. Lots of things just use the term as some sort of buzzword.
Strider
Guacamelee

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ah, that sucks. Adding to OP. Thank you!

No one look bad at me but Windows wouldn't let me install it lol

I'm not messing with it without pad either so I don't know if the KB/M demo gives anyone's virus program an alert.

I'm not saying it could be a false positive but I'm not in the mood to try to find out but the game looks compelling.

shink

I just noticed this on the Vita Kickstarter Reddit.
The funding seems really low on this one. Although their update mentions this

In this update, we would like to point out a few things:
- Creating a Metroidvania style game with all the mechanics and graphics involved is quite costly, so we would like to explain why we are only asking for $30,000 and what the money will be used for: Although we have found an investor who will contribute financially to the project, and this is of great help, we still need your contributions to be able to carry out the project.

Finally, we would like to explain why we have included video game consoles in our main goal. We have decided to develop the game for consoles because we have received the back up of some video game companies and the overall cost will not increase significantly when it comes to licenses or the adaptation of the PC version to consoles.

We are extremely enthusiastic about the project and have a very clear idea of what we are going to do. Everything has been planned to be released on July 1st. The PC version would be finished by the end of February and the console versions (PS4 & Wii U) by the end of April.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yanimstudio/red-goddess-inner-world/posts/836504
Still unsure whether to back on this basis.

yanim

Neo Member
Hello everyone!

We have been very quiet on this forum, because we have been focused on development,we're sorry. We're going to update you about Red Goddess.

RED GODDESS is a side-scrolling action adventure game.

Genre: Fantasy 2,5D graphics with unique atmosphere and compelling story
Release Date: Approx. PC and consoles: April 2015.
Development state: Alpha
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, Wii U, PS VITA, in proccess to be developers for X-ONE.

What's Red goddess?
Red Goddess is a nonlinear side-scroller platformer with combat situations in an adventure to explore the inner-mind of a Young Goddess with the objective of remembering and recovering her own powers.

mask-gameplay-divine-1024x580.jpg

Explore the mind a young goddess.
Fight against the “dark thoughts” and an invisible enemy “The narrator”.
Possess and move elements of the planet to uncover the mysteries from the past of the main character.
Combination of brawl and platform action in an epic and compelling story.

pink-houses-and-fire-1024x591.jpg

GAMEPLAY:

Control 3 playable characters with their own unique skills and abilities in a non-linear platform/adventure game.
You can play the game with Divine, the main character to jump, doble jump, talk and interact, and also some psyche power like telekinesis.
You can also select and play as a “mask” of the main character (either Rage or Fear persona).
Once you play as a mask, you can unleash deadly melee combos, useful for combat situations. But the other mask appears following you everywhere in the game, and could turn against if you activate some traps.
Unlock Powers. You will have to find and collect pieces of an ancient armor to unlock new skills and enter new zones.
Possess and move elements of the planet to uncover the mysteries from the past of the main character. You also can possess the minds of enemies to use them in combat.

GAME TRAILER (november2014):

http://youtu.be/fAsafCLlcgU

THE STORY:

The story revolves around a troubled goddess named Divine. She feels confused and haunted by her past. Something mysterious and unknown is tearing her apart from the inside out, destroying her mind, her soul ….and her altogether! Our journey begins when Divine decides to right this wrong by exploring her own subconscious. She will discover a planet within her own mind made up of mountains, forests, caves, and unknown perils. Discovering who she is, who she was, and what she will become is our quest…..but soon we realize that there is more to this adventure than what we first thought. Explore a mysterious Planet driven by the subconscious mind of the main character: Divine.

THE NARRATOR:

The narrator is the voice of the world and therefore the subconscious of Divine. The narrator hides the past of Divine. He is insidious and will try to fool you. If you activate some traps and pass through the madness rays, the narrator could turn aggressive, block your way or turn the masks against you.
Once you have been detected, the Narrator will activate a quarantine area to attack you. There are many different possible attacks. Depending on the zone:

More enemies will appear in the area.
Your other persona, which appears as a deadly mask, and will turn against you.
Access doors will close and new traps will be activated.
Enemies will become more aggressives.
To cancel the alarm mode, you have to exit/get out of the quarantine area, or kill all oponents in the quarantine zone.

THE CHARACTERS:

Divine is a young goddess. Her past life is full of mystery. She doesn’t remember her childhood. She also has special punch spells, very useful to defeat creatures and boss.

She can possess objects to reach new zones of Red Goddess world. She also can possess the minds of enemies to use them in combat.
Divine can be split into two characters which are completely different and mutually incompatible: one personifies fire (Rage), and the other personifies ice (Fear). They have their own unique skills and abilities which bring about different gameplay strategies. You can select only “half” of the main character (either Rage or Fear). The other half is inactive and appears as a mask.

Rage: Hungry and pumped muscles, Rage is the Anger persona of Divine. In case of danger, she will prefer to use these fists to solve any problem. As Rage is associated with the red/fire element of anger, she is better suited to destroy the red enemies.

Fear: Fear is associated with the blue/ice element of fright. Her quick iceclaws attacks and fast movements make her the most deadly playable character with blue oponents.

10433899_B_n.jpg

rage-ks.jpg

fear-ks.jpg

ENEMIES:

Divine’s enemies are her own negative thoughts rebelling against her. She needs to get rid of all of them to be able to unlock the next zone.
The dark tunnels hide horrible creatures, followers of Divine´s negative thoughts. Little by little, they are corrupting every part of the planet.
and many more dangerous creatures…

fighting-with-golem-1024x591.jpg

Please send us your comments and thanks for your support!

Backed the Kickstarter, and really looking forward to this.

Very interesting looking world and gameplay, and should look smashing on the Vita.

Tizoc

Yes sure, please check it on www.redgoddessgame.com

Thanks for your support!

Game looks interesting, and I may just double dip for Vita and Steam, so good luck with it, thanks for the main site link as I see a pledge link there too.
EDIT: BTW can you share if possible how the porting process the Vita has been? Can we expect locked 30 FPS if not 60 fps on Vita ver.?

yanim

Neo Member
Game looks interesting, and I may just double dip for Vita and Steam, so good luck with it, thanks for the main site link as I see a pledge link there too.
EDIT: BTW can you share if possible how the porting process the Vita has been? Can we expect locked 30 FPS if not 60 fps on Vita ver.?

Hello thanks for your support and your nice comments!

We're working on Unreal Engine 4, so is not possible a direct port to Vita, we're going to port it on Unity and adapt to the consoles. It's a hard work so we'll need more time to release on Vita.

Thanks and that you have a nice weekend!

Looking forward to this since finding out about it last week.

Also really digging the 'you're almost dead!' pop up message and I don't know why...

Tizoc

Hello thanks for your support and your nice comments!

We're working on Unreal Engine 4, so is not possible a direct port to Vita, we're going to port it on Unity and adapt to the consoles. It's a hard work so we'll need more time to release on Vita.

Thanks and that you have a nice weekend!

Interesting, I would recommend that you aim to get a solid fixed framerate, as performance is one key element, at least among this forum, when it comes to day 1 buying some games. A good performance will interest more to get it day 1.

Again good luck and looking forward to the game.

yanim

Neo Member
Interesting, I would recommend that you aim to get a solid fixed framerate, as performance is one key element, at least among this forum, when it comes to day 1 buying some games. A good performance will interest more to get it day 1.

Again good luck and looking forward to the game.

Thanks for your comment! we're trying to get a solid fixed framerate. By the way We've received our Playstation4 devkit. Now to port to #PS4 and cross the fingers. :)

safe_image.php

Feep

Banned
Thanks for your comment! we're trying to get a solid fixed framerate. By the way We've received our Playstation4 devkit. Now to port to #PS4 and cross the fingers. :)
As someone who may or may not have a Playstation 4 Dev Kit, I'm pretty sure that posting pictures of it is a no-no. Just a heads up.

yanim

Neo Member
As someone who may or may not have a Playstation 4 Dev Kit, I'm pretty sure that posting pictures of it is a no-no. Just a heads up.

Hi, we're allowed by Sony to post this picture, no worries and thanks for your comment!

yanim

Neo Member
Hi! Please take a look this screenshot, here's is a work in progress, exit of the crystal cave. Thanks for your support!

rage-on-the-cave-1024x591.jpg

yanim

Neo Member
We're going to talk about the enemies in Red goddess. The gamer could find several types of enemies, firstly we are going to differentiate between the enemies in red and blue colors, the color determines who should combat them. Red enemies can be easily defeated by Rage, while blue enemies by Fear. Now we're working on, in the last video was not implemented yet. (Evil Mask gameplay: http://youtu.be/tkezmAfzVs8)

Among the types of enemies there is some different characters, so we can see: armored follower, follower and wolf, wolf armored, spider, eyes, minotaur and Golem. Each with different fighting skills.

Pls take a look this screenshots to illustrate:

+Follower: he does strong slap

mask-gameplay-2-peq.jpg

+Armored follower: hits with his spear

mask-gameplay-garras-fear-peq.jpg

+Wolf: With the strong teeth does a mortal bite

wolf-wip22.jpg

+Wolf armored: Fight is charging at the opponent like a bull and gives the opponent with skewers of head

wolf-armored-wip21.jpg

+Spider: this deadly enemy can bites and leaves a trail on the ground that damages

spider-WIP21.jpg

+Eyes: is a flying enemy and does shoot fireballs

eyes-WIP21.jpg

+Minotaur:
has a spear and great strength to combat

+Golem
: hits his fist and kicked on the ground very strongly
fighting-with-golem-peq.jpg

More updates soon... TY

Top Bottom