• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

CShPW9EUEAAdGCw.jpg

These videos are wonderful. I laughing so hard during the Half In The Bag, but with the Re:View and the Plinkett review, it's even better.

Seriously, if they're RLM fans, they should know by now that complaining just gets Mike and Jay to double down on the joke. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

NotLiquid

If you speed up the audio you get audio clips from what's seemingly a Transformers 5 making-of.

"On this movie Transformers: The Last Knight, we are shooting with IMAX 3D and the results are phenomenal."
"Michael is the very first filmmaker to take two of these cameras and configure them on a 3D rig and shoot them on 3D in real-time and that's not trivial. The resolution, the detail, the clarity, it really is mindboggling."
"We are using all-new IMAX technology to give you the best experience you'll see this year."

"Hey I'm Michael Bay, and I'm a strong believer in protecting the cinema experience."

etc.

Cheerilee

Bait-and-switch content? *shrug*

IIRC, RLM essentially pulled this same joke right around the time The Force Awakens came out, when everyone was clamoring for Mr Plinkett to spend 90 minutes explaining the movie to them (because this was the first new Star Wars movie since Mr Plinkett destroyed the Prequels), so Mike decided to troll everyone by putting up a cut-to-blackscreen Plinkett Review of The Force Awakens.

Star Wars/RLM fans got pissed and cried to Youtube, and Youtube took the video down within hours of it going up.

This one's different (if you ask me) because this one isn't mocking the fans, this has a clear joke in that they had the Canadians pretend to be Mike and Jay (indicating that something was already broken about the review, and that it wasn't going to be a normal episode), and then they cast aside all suggestions that they review the movie, which is their review of the movie (because Transfivers is trash, while Mike actually had some things to say about TFA, once he felt like getting around to it).

The re:view of Transfivers was a continuation of the same HitB joke. As is the Plinkett Review. So while the first Plinkett Review of TFA and this Plinkett Review of Transfivers look remarkably similar, they're entirely different in context.

I didn't think the first video was funny, but the joke got funnier with each video they made. Not bad. Would still rather watch proper content from them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Haha, classic! I'm finding this far more funny than it really should be!!!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If their patreon was set to get money every time they release a video, then you'd have a point bringing up how much they make off it.

Cheerilee

Wait, describe it. I turned it off after it turned black. Is there a reason to actually keep it going?
The first video (Half in the Bag) had Jim and Colin pretending to be Mike and Jay for about 30 seconds, then they give up and drink beer while ridiculous Transformers sound effects play for about a minute. Then it ends and has 20 minutes of black silence, because they didn't want people to see that it was a short "we quit" video and have the joke of the video be spoiled for people before they even clicked on it. Also I think Mike and Jay love the idea of having some people sit around and watch the mass of nothing, just to check and see if there's anything hidden in there.

In the second video (re:view), Jim and Colin apologize for the joke of the previous video, and then get down to the serious business of reviewing Transfivers Five... for about 30 seconds before they give up and drink Zima while Transformers sound effects play again for another minute. Then 20 minutes of black silence again.

For the Plinkett Review, Mr Plinkett (instead of Jim and Colin) puts in about 30 seconds before quitting with a fade to black, but this time there isn't any alcohol scene overlaid with Transformers sound effects. Instead, the sound effects come up around the time when the screen goes dark. And then the sound effects stay. The black screen on the Plinkett Review is much larger (it's an hour long, to unconvincingly suggest a real Plinkett Review) and the Transformers sound effects stick around for the entire duration. At the very end of the video, Mr Plinkett's voice pops back in for a second to say "Bye."

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the Plinkett Review, Mr Plinkett (instead of Jim and Colin) puts in about 30 seconds before quitting with a fade to black, but this time there isn't any alcohol scene overlaid with Transformers sound effects. Instead, the sound effects come up around the time when the screen goes dark. And then the sound effects stay. The black screen on the Plinkett Review is much larger (it's an hour long, to unconvincingly suggest a real Plinkett Review) and the Transformers sound effects stick around for the entire duration. At the very end of the video, Mr Plinkett's voice pops back in for a second to say "Bye."
Is it anything other than mostly silence and some sound effects? Like some Plinkett talking about random shit? Or is it literally just a "bye" at the end? I mean is it worth wasting an hour? Would be a perfect place for some kind of secret podcast or something.

Top Bottom