• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Cheerilee

Is it anything other than mostly silence and some sound effects? Like some Plinkett talking about random shit? Or is it literally just a "bye" at the end? I mean is it worth wasting an hour? Would be a perfect place for some kind of secret podcast or something.

Literally just robot noises for an hour. Nothing else.

Then one quick "Bye" at the end.

I can't describe if it was worth it. It clearly wasn't, but I was entertained by the fact that it just kept on going and going and going. And the super-quick one-syllable "Bye" at the end was somehow perfect and I almost fell off my chair laughing.

SArcher

Banned
I don't get people who are mad at these Transformers videos. What could they have possibly said about the franchise that hasn't been said already? An actual review would have been utterly pointless.

Euphony

Banned
An excerpt from their latest Patreon update
"As you can see from the last few videos, the Canadians are in town! In addition to the very time-consuming Transformers 5 videos, we've somehow found the time to shoot two re:Views and two Best of the Worst episodes with them."

Hooray for more Canadians!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah but one of the Re:Views was probably Transformers and one of the BotW is probably Transformers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You won't get me this time hack frauds!

edit: There's a lot of wrong information in this shit already. Harrison Ford has said he did not purposefully tank the narration. The unicorn scene is not unused footage from Legend.

Canada was a mistake.

Oh come on. Those line reads were awful. It was like the Bruce Willis narrations in North.

edit: There's a lot of wrong information in this shit already. Harrison Ford has said he did not purposefully tank the narration. The unicorn scene is not unused footage from Legend.

Canada was a mistake.

Oh come on. Those line reads were awful. It was like the Bruce Willis narrations in North.

I think in one of the documentaries on the Blu-ray there's some behind the scenes audio of Ford recording his voiceover lines and he was having none of it. I'm not sure whether or not you can come to the conclusion that he tanked it on purpose but he wasn't into it. At all.

s_mirage

I think in one of the documentaries on the Blu-ray there's some behind the scenes audio of Ford recording his voiceover lines and he was having none of it. I'm not sure whether or not you can come to the conclusion that he tanked it on purpose but he wasn't into it. At all.

Yep, and the voice director (who I think was one of the producers) was being a dick when Ford was suggesting improvements. IIRC from Future Noir, Ford not being onboard with the voice over was about the only thing he and Ridley agreed on, so with being given no leeway to improve the lines I think he just gave up and delivered them exactly as he was given, as deadpan as possible.

Canada was a mistake.

Yeah but the narration still sucks in terms of the delivery (though some of it actually does improve the movie by giving Ford's character SOME depth) and the "Deckard is a replicant" shit does deeply, deeply harm the movie (though this is not the inevitable nor only reading of the unicorn scene).

Jay is basically right that the movie is boring, but given how goofy Rutger Hauer comes across even in just the clips in that review, how he gets a pass is beyond me.

daviyoung

Banned

Canada was a mistake.

Both of these things are directly from Dangerous Days documentary.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ford was against doing the narration and did deliver shit lines on purpose. He was really really opposed to it.

Ridley Scott is nuts.

Trivia: Rutger Hauer actually came up with the "I've seen things" speech. I think he might even have had the bird idea.
edit: Ah they mention it.

dcx4610

I totally disagree with Ridley Lucas'ing Harrison as a replicant. Other than that, I love Blade Runner. I can see why people would find it boring but it gets better every viewing for me and I've never seen movie like that.

It's absolutely a movie that needs to be watched several times. If you don't find it at least interesting the first time it's probably not for you though.

For me, Blade Runner and Terminator 1 are "tech-noir" masterpieces and the only 2 films that really nail that vibe and atmosphere of a future cyber-punk world.

imBask

Banned
I watched Blade Runner for the first time last night before watching the Re:view and I kinda agree with Jay, I really want to like this movie but it was kinda long and boring in some places

also thank god I got the version without voiceover by pure luck

aravuus

Been a while since I've seen it, maybe I should re-watch it and then check their review. I don't think I loved it per se, but I remember thinking "what's supposed to be so bad/slow/boring about this?"

I watched Blade Runner for the first time last night before watching the Re:view and I kinda agree with Jay, I really want to like this movie but it was kinda long and boring in some places

also thank god I got the version without voiceover by pure luck

The voiceover is extremely poorly delivered and is bad in parts, but it also adds some depth to the movie that it sorely lacks in the slower, quieter versions.

Exodust

Banned
The voiceover is extremely poorly delivered and is bad in parts, but it also adds some depth to the movie that it sorely lacks in the slower, quieter versions.

Lol no. You don't need the narration to follow the movie's themes, plot, and anything narratively.

I love Blade Runner, and I get why some people won't like it, but jesus christ I won't let that stand haha.

Lol no. You don't need the narration to follow the movie's themes, plot, and anything narratively.

I love Blade Runner, and I get why some people won't like it, but jesus christ I won't let that stand haha.

You don't "need it", the movie is easy enough to follow, but compared to long stretches of special effects wankery, some of it adds character and color to both Deckard and to the world, as a whole, that you don't get from just the visuals and dialogue.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Not my favourite re:View. Colin seems a bit out of his depth beside Jay there, and there's a lot of repetition. Plus there is Zima. Ewww.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did a rewatch before the review. Definitely a beautiful to look at movie and Rutger Hauer is pretty great. It I'm kinda like Jay as well with regards to the movie but I like it a bit more than him.

Also worth pointing out the screenwriter, Fancher, goes against Ridley Scott. In part because Fancher read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, while Ridley Scott got bored and didn't.

Rydeen

I forget if Hampton Fancher or David Peoples said it, but to paraphrase: Whether Deckard is a Replicant or not, the answer isn't the interesting thing, it's the question. Is Deckard a Replicant? In the World that the film creates where the line between those born versus those created has been blurred to the point where we have to question the difference, that's the interesting element.

I'm out of the loop, is the Deckard/replicant thing going to be firmly decided in the new upcoming movie? Hard to see how it won't come up.

I'm out of the loop, is the Deckard/replicant thing going to be firmly decided in the new upcoming movie? Hard to see how it won't come up.

Hard to say. Fancher is on the story and he's been about the ambiguity of it. Denis Villeneuve, the director, has been on about the ambiguity of it. Ridley Scott is only executive producer and he's the guy who pushes for Deckard to be a replicant.

And regarding Scott's involvement, this is what Denis said

"To take Ridley Scott's universe and try to make it my own was a really big task for me," he said. As for Scott, the cinema legend gave Villeneuve what he described as the "biggest gift of all, which is freedom."

"He said, it's your movie. I'll be there if you need me, otherwise I'll be away," the director said. "And I must say he was not there physically, but I felt his presence all the time, because I was dealing with his universe all the time. So in a way he wasn't there, but he was there a lot at the same time."

We'll see.

Top Bottom