• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Deckard was not a replicant, 100% certain, it's not even debatable, it wasn't even supposed to be ambiguous, it was simply just not a plot point at all; never in the script, never told to the actors to do this or that because it related to this idea, all cut scenes just make it even more absurd, and so on.

Scott made him one retroactively, and is 100% certain going to force a confirmation of it in the sequel. He'll do it out of spite, not because it makes the movie better. Once Villeneuve is done, he will edit it, if not in the theater release then on disc or who knows. He's obsessed with making it a fact, like he thinks it was the cleverest thing ever so anything that would make it sound like an afterthought is an attack on him.

LakeEarth

I wish they still put up the full Re:View clips on SoundHound. Last one they put up was Blade, and that was many episodes ago. I was listening to the Tremors one, and they go more in-depth regarding the sequels in the extended audio version.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wish they still put up the full Re:View clips on SoundHound. Last one they put up was Blade, and that was many episodes ago. I was listening to the Tremors one, and they go more in-depth regarding the sequels in the extended audio version.

its probably not worth the effort, like i had pontificated previously in this thread.

they make the Re:Views a little longer and include all the relevant discussion, then that's all they need

I'd rather they just put audio formats of all their reviews since I'd love to listen to some of them on the way to/from work. Yes I could just convert the audio using any number of websites but it'd be more convenient if they just had a link to download on their site.

Their reviews aren't exactly entirely audio friendly for a podcast though since they rely on clips from films and some Visual gags for reaction shots.

But yeah I wouldn't mind them doing it as the lazy way to appease people who want a podcast.

I can't believe I'm saying this but they really should have remade the movie and leaned more heavily on the book. I'm sure it would have been better than the Rich Evans performance Gosling will give.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't understand Jay's thing with Decker being a replicant somehow ruining the movie. Is that like knowing the ending of Citizen Kain makes it unwatchable or something?

I don't understand Jay's thing with Decker being a replicant somehow ruining the movie. Is that like knowing the ending of Citizen Kain makes it unwatchable or something?

It's not about being spoiled on it, so much as the character arc of the movie is supposed to be Deckard rediscovering his own humanity and joie de vivre by his contact with Replicants who either A) appreciate life more because of how painfully finite it is for them, or B) can display all of the emotional life of humans despite being synthetic. This is completely undercut if Deckard is a replicant, and it's difficult not to read the rest of the movie in light of this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The thing is the first time I really watched Blade Runner was the director's cut, and I didn't even think "Deckard is a replicant" at the end, so that's a poor excuse to not like the movie.

I think the main issue people usually have with it is what I consider its strongest point; it's an inconsequential story in a big world. We have four illegal aliens on the run, find them and arrest them (or in this case kill them), and on top of that they're going to die on their own in a few days anyway, so this is just damage control. Nothing on the news about it, no one is aware this is going on, the biggest consequence in all this is Tyrell gets killed, and chances are he has a replicant of himself ready to replace him and they'll cover up what happened anyway, say he died of old age. No replicant factory gets blown up, and Deckard doesn't fight a clone of himself nor finds out his boss is a replicant.

It feels almost more like a TV show, where an episode concludes and no future episode ever relate to it. It has the same slow moments you would expect in a TV show.

Also, Deckard is also not a hero at all; he kills a woman by shooting her in the back, another who is basically a teenager, and gets saved by a woman and again by the one he's supposed to kill, who plays with him like a cat and a mouse. Then, he runs away from his duty with the one he's supposed to kill.

So it really doesn't follow the usual movie conventions, and those conventions usually exist for a reason. But I think it's exactly what made this movie work so well to many; you have insane production values that no movies back then were even expected to have, and yet a plot that doesn't follow movie conventions, so it makes everything feel ever more real, it's like peeking into an alternate dimension and not like watching a movie. People go in expecting a movie that would follow the usual conventions because of how it looks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not about being spoiled on it, so much as the character arc of the movie is supposed to be Deckard rediscovering his own humanity and joie de vivre by his contact with Replicants who either A) appreciate life more because of how painfully finite it is for them, or B) can display all of the emotional life of humans despite being synthetic. This is completely undercut if Deckard is a replicant, and it's difficult not to read the rest of the movie in light of this.
Couldn't it also be about a Replicant breaking free of his programming and learning what it is to truly live?

Couldn't it also be about a Replicant breaking free of his programming and learning what it is to truly live?

No, because it creates inconsistencies with the rest of the film. Scott could have filmed it in such a way where it is more ambiguous, but he didn't. He just started saying it years later.

he's going to come back and reveal that Nic Cage was a replicant created by Michael Fassbender and that his cons were being used to create the money to create the first engineer

did I mention Fassbender is also a time traveler?

giphy.gif

That is, theoretically, already the character arc of the antagonist. (I say theoretically because I've typically always found Hauer's character a lot more one-dimensional and goofy than he's been portrayed, critically.) Setting aside that Ford's character manifestly does not have the physical abilities of other replicants, that explaining how and why he is a replicant is extremely convoluted in the logic of the movie, and that, absent the silly unicorn flashback, there is no real evidence of it (and even then, one can read it as a sign of Gaff's closeness with Deckard, that what he leaves him is a marker of his fantasy), what does it actually add to the movie?

It's the equivalent of the cut ending from The Shining, where the doctors tell Shelley Duvall that Jack's body has gone missing - one rug too many pulled out from under the audience.

Where the fuck is the baby driver half in the bag you lazy bastards.

Are you saving it to do a double trouble review with Spiderman? We all know you're God damn doing that one.

Fat4all

Banned
Friday the 13th is a weird one.

I have a group of friends who are really really into old horror movies (one of them collects movie-accurate Halloween Michael Myers masks), and while they aren't the biggest gamers, they went in day-one of the Friday the 13th game.

Besides that first week, they've been playing it every single weekend since it came out and have been singing it's praises for how fun it is. I picked up a copy to play with them, and while I like playing with them specifically, there's not much else in it for me.

Considering how it apparently sold better than expected, I think there's a decent audience for horror movie based games that could be tapped.

Oh good, they’re playing Friday the 13th again. I can’t get enough of watching them play it.

Which may sound sarcastic but isn’t. Love the game, even though I’ve never played it.

Yeah, that was an odd review. They both liked it but spend almost the entire segment criticizing it. I think they were just sick of everyone asking them to do a HitB of it.

Yeah, that was an odd review. They both liked it but spend almost the entire segment criticizing it. I think they were just sick of everyone asking them to do a HitB of it.
Lord knows that many times I like a movie or TV show but I spend more time talking about the negatives. Particularly when you know everybody is talking about the positives and you feel you don't have much to contribute to the conversation so you instead focus on the negatives which tend to stand out more.

Faynwulf

I actually like that they aren't circlejerking over Edgar Wright and Baby Driver for 20 minutes. I think the whole Movie community has been doing that enough for the last few weeks.

They explained it very well why they didn't love it, it's not an ambitious movie by Edgar Weight standard. It doesn't rise above the genre like other Edgar Weight movies.

I like their critiques/review of Homecoming, alot of original criticism and point of views. By comparison What the Flick! and a couple of youtubers reviews I watched just gaga over it. I am I am going to cut What the Flick! off from my youtube rotation.

imBask

Banned
They explained it very well why they didn't love it, it's not an ambitious movie by Edgar Weight standard. It doesn't rise above the genre like other Edgar Weight movies.

yeah but they said they really liked it, what did they like about it? I would've loved to know

I actually like that they aren't circlejerking over Edgar Wright and Baby Driver for 20 minutes. I think the whole Movie community has been doing that enough for the last few weeks.
I think plenty of people finished the movie and then discussed what they didn't like about it. Like issues with the writing.

To be fair it's my second least favorite edgar Wright movie, only beaten by the God awful at worlds end or whatever it's called.

I really really liked Baby Driver but here's 20 min of why it fucking sucked
I think they had the same reaction that I did: "Man, that was really well made...but why don't I love it like I did some of his other stuff?"

It's like, I loved the action, the acting was very good...it just felt different. And they spent time talking about why it felt different.

But I would totally recommend people go see it and I really want to see it again.

NotLiquid

I can't be the only one who watched this video and was waiting for the most hamfisted excuse to bring Rich Evans to talk about Spidey

I'm glad they didn't disappoint

Top Bottom