• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

They've got a Red Letter Media archive collection DVD out today to help fund their next movie. Some of it's exclusive stuff, alot of it's available on the site and it's a few bucks more than I'd prefer, but I still say it's going toward a worthwhile cause, they've put out some really entertaining content.
Yeah, I'm considering picking this up with Feeding Frenzy for shits and giggles. We'll see. If I do, I'll report back on both subjects. Probably update the OP with my actual opinion on FF.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I'm considering picking this up with Feeding Frenzy for shits and giggles. We'll see. If I do, I'll report back on both subjects. Probably update the OP with my actual opinion on FF.

Saw FF for the first time a few days ago...it was pretty good. Liked the behind the scenes stuff more though, hah.

inky

I think I'd like their reviews more without the stupid voices and his Plinkett or whatever it's called character storyline. I guess it's done to keep 2 hours of him talking entertaining, but it gets in the way of their usually good insight. I don't mind HITB as much.

Curious to see what they do with ME. Being Star Trek nerds I'm sure they see a bunch of other stuff I usually miss.

Izick

I think I'd like their reviews more without the stupid voices and his Plinkett or whatever it's called character storyline. I guess it's done to keep 2 hours of him talking entertaining, but it gets in the way of their usually good insight. I don't mind HITB as much.

Curious to see what they do with ME. Being Star Trek nerds I'm sure they see a bunch of other stuff I usually miss.

Really? I think the voice and weird storyline makes it unique. I think there's a little too much of the storyline in the Episode 3 review, but it's not bad.

inky

I don't care for it and I usually skip it. It just gets in the way really, unique or not, how many dead wife/stripper niece jokes can one possibly take? It's not funny.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't care for it and I usually skip it. It just gets in the way really, unique or not, how many dead wife/stripper niece jokes can one possibly take? It's not funny.

Eh, I think they kinda know this since the Indy review has much less Plinkett jokes.

I disagree. I find that it adds a layer of humor and irreverence to a more thoughtful and educated criticism. If it was a sixty minutes of talking over clips of the movie and explaining flaws in plot, character development, and so on in a normal voice, it would seem more like a classroom lecture than entertainment.

Loxley

I'm on the side that doesn't find the serial killer/kidnapper "story" funny at all. Not because I'm offended or anything, I just think it kinda sucks. The less they use it in their reviews, the better.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

I felt that way too for the first few moments of watching the Episode 1 review but it quickly grew on me and I love the character now. The thing I like about the schtick is that the movies are so bad that even this deranged murderous lowlife can break things down and school the movie makers about everything that sucks about them. I agree that sometimes they go too far with the "storyline" stuff though.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I didn't even know Silent House was a thing that existed, but their JC review was pretty much word for word how I felt after I went to see it myself. Good stuff.

SmithnCo

Too similar to every other game review thing. They should look at the plot of the games or something to make it interesting.

...Basically Plinkett/Half for games' stories.

UrbanRats

Copy/pasting from the other thread:

As a fan of Plinkett and Half in the Bag, i gotta say it was a rather worthless attempt.

It doesn't go in depth, it doesn't have (good) humor, it doesn't have that natural, casual feeling of the HitB chatting, and had too much of those sketches, that felt more out of place than the ones in HitB or Plinkett reviews.
I guess the very soul of Red Letter Media (as far as reviews go, at least) is Mike, and since he doesn't seem big on videogames, i don't see this getting much better.
But i'll give it another shot next time, for sure.
Also, choosing a good game to start with (Arkham City) was not the best idea; it's always more fun to listen someone rip something a new asshole, than hear him praise an average or good experience.. ESPECIALLY if they don't go too much in depth with it.
--
I thought about the parody thing too, but ultimately i think it's a stretch, when half the video is about "seriously" describing the game.
The satire in Half in the Bag (or other RLM production) is always more clear and obvious.. i mean i always understand when they're parodying something (ending in the Jack & Jill review, comes to mind).
There might be an element of it, especially in the awful opening titles, but it's not exaggerated enough, imo, to see it all as a parody.

Kinyou

I liked the idea of giving it this whole 90s game show style with an evil twist, but overall it was very tame and basically just a review of a game. So no reason to watch this when there are 10 million other Arkham City reviews out already.

Izick

I haven't watched the review yet, but does anyone else think it's funny how many different internet shows are starting to use the same, generic, I'm guessing free, music?

I'm not shitting on anybody because I know that licensing is expensive usually, but there has to be more than like 4 free tracks out there.

UrbanRats

I haven't watched the review yet, but does anyone else think it's funny how many different internet shows are starting to use the same, generic, I'm guessing free, music?

I'm not shitting on anybody because I know that licensing is expensive usually, but there has to be more than like 4 free tracks out there.

Well, usually game reviewers on youtube use some variation of those 5 8-bit-era tunes.
metal cover of the tetris tune, midi version of a normal song, or a straight original NES tune, from those 5 famous games.

Too similar to every other game review thing. They should look at the plot of the games or something to make it interesting.

...Basically Plinkett/Half for games' stories.

Agreed, them reviewing game as they do films could lead to something different for the medium, this is far too in line with what the mainstream game press does (just without the connections to have the content earlier.)

Izick

Bad music aside, I thought that was fairly good.

The only thing that I can definitely say that they could improve on was the integration of the actual review (being the footage) and the live action stuff, which I thought was hilarious (per usual). If they can integrate that a little better, which they've already successfully done with movie reviews, than I don't see why this couldn't be another hit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The game review was JOKE.

That's why he kills the guy at the end. He gets stupid emails asking him to review games, so he did this thing. It's not serious. He did it to show how boring it is. Even the name makes it obvious "Game Station 2.0", the most retarded generic name ever, and they have the random girl at the beginning, cause game TV shows always need some random girl as a host.

Anyway new review here, love the ending lol http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/the-hunger-games-and-jeff-who-lives-at-home/

This has always been one of my favourites on RLM.
WHOA! *lies on the ground, dead* I'm with you, Rez. Such a great segment.

I'll update the OP soon. Saw the new review but was heading out to Chicago. I'm loving the good things I'm hearing.

the only thing that was kinda funny is they showed Batman Beyond instead of Batman: The Animated Series
damn when is the next Plinkett review

the rest of this stuff is awful

Gui_PT

the only thing that was kinda funny is they showed Batman Beyond instead of Batman: The Animated Series
damn when is the next Plinkett review

the rest of this stuff is awful

d40T6.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love both the Plinkett Reviews and Half in the Bag. No reason to choose one over the other.

sohois

Half in the bag is great reviews show, I don't care much for movies but I always watch it. It's a different beast to the Plinkett reviews, no reason to only pick one to like.

Cheerilee

Mike and Jay are well-suited for reviews of stuff that's currently in the theater, and they don't have much usable footage beyond online trailers, but Mr Plinkett is well-suited for randomly reviewing movies that have been out for 14 years and are available on DVD, and can be ripped apart scene-by-scene.

Half in the Bag is good, and there's very little wait time, but the Plinkett reviews are so epic good that I think they're worth the longer wait.

And while I like the way Mike and Jay do their thing, they're essentially doing the same thing a lot of other people are doing at any given time (talking about current movies). I mean, who's going to tear apart something like Transformers (Michael Bay reboot) if Mr Plinkett doesn't do it? The sheer number of movies out there that could use a Plinkett review is astonishing once you think about it (especially since he doesn't even need to review bad movies).

But while I prefer Mr Plinkett, I can't begrudge RLM for doing what they might more enjoy more instead, like making their own movies, or making unfunny deliberately-bad ironic videogame review shows.

BigDug13

Mike and Jay are well-suited for reviews of stuff that's currently in the theater, and they don't have much usable footage beyond online trailers, but Mr Plinkett is well-suited for randomly reviewing movies that have been out for 14 years and are available on DVD, and can be ripped apart scene-by-scene.

Half in the Bag is good, and there's very little wait time, but the Plinkett reviews are so epic good that I think they're worth the longer wait.

And while I like the way Mike and Jay do their thing, they're essentially doing the same thing a lot of other people are doing at any given time (talking about current movies). I mean, who's going to tear apart something like Transformers (Michael Bay reboot) if Mr Plinkett doesn't do it? The sheer number of movies out there that could use a Plinkett review is astonishing once you think about it (especially since he doesn't even need to review bad movies).

But while I prefer Mr Plinkett, I can't begrudge RLM for doing what they might more enjoy more instead, like making their own movies, or making unfunny deliberately-bad ironic videogame review shows.

I agree with this. I watched some Half in the Bag and it was decent, but they're normally reviewing movies where they only have the preview to use for scenes. Then they delve so far into the movie that it spoils it if you wanted to see it. So they would be best viewed after watching the movie yourself IMO, but at that point, I would rather see the in-depth scene ripping Mr Plinkett reviews.

Top Bottom