• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Destiny II: Forge of Hope, November 2017, [Kotaku & Bungie skeptical]

Skelter

Banned
the only thing Sneak Press Jason needs to find out is if it's going to be 60fps on console.

Might pass on it otherwise.

30 FPS on current console
60 on Pro/Scorpio
144+ on PC!

That's what I'm thinking. Still don't understand why the first wasn't on PC. I can see myself grabbing it during a sale now.

AaronMT86

Wishful thinking, but no.

A simple compiler re-write alone can take 20 months, let alone any script IDE system (~15 months). There is no 'new engine'.

drsoup

60 on Pro/Scorpio
144+ on PC!

That's what I'm thinking. Still don't understand why the first wasn't on PC. I can see myself grabbing it during a sale now.

30 on ps4 and 60 on Pro is a no no for them, they share the same servers

DocSeuss

If true, concept's okay, PC launch is excellent news, name is lame, and no character transfer pisses me off. None of my ladies need beards or face paint. I put a thousand hours into them. I don't want to leave them behind.

I'm fine with a reset, even though I put in 700+ hours into the ones I have. It's been so long since I played I just don't mind. Sort of annoyed I didn't get to play the last expansion because it is too expensive IMO.

SpecX

Sounds good and hoping for a release this year. Sucks about the characters being left behind, but hopefully they give something to returning players as a badge of honor for being there from the start.

I know it's a summary, but it doesn't sound like a lot to the story and what's with the next big release being Fall 2018? The quarterly updates better be big enough to fill that void or else it will feel the same as current Destiny. Also hoping there will be a stat split for weapons between PvP and PvE. I know they said no to it, but hoping they wised up to realize it's needed to not wreck PvE because of a gun being too powerful in PvP.

Vinc

A 60 fps Bungie game on console would be amaaaaaaaaazing.

Pretty excited for Destiny 2. I just need it to provide a great single player experience, since I don't have anyone to really play that game with and generally just prefer playing alone. I need a serviceable story.

lt519

I'd be bummed if I lost my hunter, we've been through a lot since vanilla Destiny ):

My Titan and Warlock can be thrown into the trash though, screw em.

FinKL

60 on Pro/Scorpio
144+ on PC!

Have you seen the cheating/hacking in the Division on PC? I'm sure they were thinking of better strategies to overcome this, but also release on time as they have a strict schedule.

I'm super excited, I just NEED some sort of Crossplay as I'm on PC but friends will be on Xbox or PS4. Please Bungie we're in 2017 now!

Have you seen the cheating/hacking in the Division on PC? I'm sure they were thinking of better strategies to overcome this, but also release on time as they have a strict schedule.

Wasn't the Division issue that lots of data was stored client side? Destiny stores almost everything server side like most MMOs afaik, so there's much less chance of hacking.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

There is always cheating on PC multiplayer games. That's one of the reasons I like to do multiplayer on consoles a lot of the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My point is its not possible to make a completely new engine to serve all their needs in 2 years.

It won't be entirely new.

That being said Boner and Quad are way easier to dev for. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they get a lot more done in a shorter time frame.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The only thing that hurts is my Sleeper Stimulant :-(

Out of everythinging in Destiny... my 399/400 characters, my shaders, my emotes....

Not having my laser gun cuts the deepest.

Raven117

I'd be bummed if I lost my hunter, we've been through a lot since vanilla Destiny ):

HA, yeah. Us year 1 vets deserve recognition....we played that game when everyone and their mother seemed to be shitting on it.

But we played...and we loved it.

Trace

Banned
HA, yeah. Us year 1 vets deserve recognition....we played that game when everyone and their mother seemed to be shitting on it.

But we played...and we loved it.

I'd be plenty happy with exclusive shaders or class items or whatever. Ideally I'd want an exclusive class item for vets that did Year 1/Year 2 moments of triumph and finished the RoI book 100%.

BigEmil

An updated engine removing last gen console support that's all. Not enough to call it a new engine.

Raven117

I'd be plenty happy with exclusive shaders or class items or whatever. Ideally I'd want an exclusive class item for vets that did Year 1/Year 2 moments of triumph and finished the RoI book 100%.

That's what I'm hoping for!

They can leave everythign else behind, but come on...the Y1 vets really held the torch.

Werd

I'd love to finally have another Bungie game launch simultaneously on PC, and the first one at all since H2.

DesertFox

Because when you're used to talking to and demoing it to other industry people, they understand you mean it's real geometry in the engine that the player can interact with and has collisions and shit.

The general public tends to extrapolate it it to "FULL CITIES AND CONTENT AREA", even though he specifically said terrain.

As I said before, you've been able "to go out there" since Halo 2.
/snip

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe. There was never an intent to mislead.

I'm well aware of the ability to glitch out of the playable space in Bungie games. Me and my friends spent hours in the skyline of Headlong in Halo 2 screwing around seeing what buildings we could get on top of.

The difference is it being actual geometry that's inaccessible, and being a playable space. Also consider the context of the message. It wasn't a GDC talk that was aimed at developers, at E3 (don't know the guys name) he said and I quote "All of this is playable space. That we hope to one day get to send you to. It's all real geometry, you could go there. We could go there right now."

He delivered that message to journalists at E3. He had to have known they would write stories about the vast playable space in Destiny that stretches into the horizon. It was a lie. Sure if you somehow glitched out there you won't fall through the map because it's real geometry. (although there are lots of areas in Destiny where if you glitch you WILL fall to your death through the map) but what value is that providing to the end user, and why would you go out of your way to mention the "playable space" that you - uhh - can't actually play on.

Hopefully they can achieve that vision for Destiny 2 now that they've dropped the last gen shackles, but I think my expectations are much more grounded after being burned by that lie at E3. I was so disappointed when I fired up the beta and found out first hand Destiny's world was a series of rooms connected by narrow passageways. Anyway, here's to hoping Destiny 2 blows me away.

There is always cheating on PC multiplayer games. That's one of the reasons I like to do multiplayer on consoles a lot of the time.
That's just blatantly not true.

Cheaters run rampant in Diablo III on consoles for instance. None on PC. Implement a way to prevent cheating, and very few will cheat. Some devs just don't bother.

I'm super excited, I just NEED some sort of Crossplay as I'm on PC but friends will be on Xbox or PS4. Please Bungie we're in 2017 now!

Out of all the MMOs on PC that pretty much have no significant problems with cheaters you pick the one that has(had?) problems because Ubisoft was stupid and had a bunch of things client-side.

Grief.exe

That's just blatantly not true.

Cheaters run rampant in Diablo III on consoles for instance. None on PC. Implement a way to prevent cheating, and very few will cheat. Some devs just don't bother.

Out of all the MMOs on PC that pretty much have no significant problems with cheaters you pick the one that has(had?) problems because Ubisoft was stupid and had a bunch of things client-side.

The key is diligence and having a budget that allows for constant updates and bans.

Lasty95

I don't buy this at all.

If for no other reason, the name is totally shit and just doens't stack up against the Bungie standard.

I'm sure much of it will turn out to be true anyway though.

60 on Pro/Scorpio
144+ on PC!

It's going to be 30fps, regardless of pro/Scorpio or PS4/X1, and quite possibly PC as well (if my understanding/sources are correct). 30fps is just as much a design decision and something they balance a lot of gameplay around as much as it is a hardware limitation. And since Pro/Scorpio is the same version as the PS4 & X1, there is no way they would run 30fps for some users & 60fps for others who are on the same platform - both 1st parties have TRCs against this very thing in online gameplay.

Koutsoubas

I will pre-order EVERYTHING they put out for pre-orders!

I have played Destiny close to 800 hours. I expect more for the sequel

CoD and Destiny in the same month? No way Activision will do that.
I don't see why not, they are both drastically different games.

I don't buy this at all.

If for no other reason, the name is totally shit and just doens't stack up against the Bungie standard.

I'm sure much of it will turn out to be true anyway though.
The Dark Below
House of Wolves
The Taken King

If anything the name is an improvement

CDOfZwB.jpg

The good news is we are very likely going to know today if Destiny 2 is hitting this year or delayed. Investors Call / Financials are out today and that's way too huge of an impact on revenue to leave out.

You can count on Investors asking during the call if its this year

Vic_Viper

"The game has a whole new engine built from the ground up with the ability for Bungie to rapidly create and ad new content to the world of Destiny."

If true this will be a huge plus, but we will see if it actually works lol. That was the biggest problem with Destiny vanilla.

Not sure I trust the whole Nov 2017 release date though.

On PC? Hopefully that's true! I'm absolutely horrible at the "flick and pray" method of aiming. I got back into Halo recently and it's really fun despite that, so I might have to give the first Destiny a shot since I got the $90 digital version on PS4 out of impulse but never played it. I'm surprised Sony aren't taking advantage of sixaxis ADS aiming like what I've experienced using the Steam controller and Splatoon on WiiU. Gyroscope aiming is a godsend.

If the new engine rumor is true then I'm in, the one used in the first was apparently a bitch to work with.

Story seems lame from that description, though.

Top Bottom