• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Destiny II: Forge of Hope, November 2017, [Kotaku & Bungie skeptical]

jschreier

Yeah I mean September has become the Destiny month. Why would D2 launch in November? Especially when Call of Duty hits then.

Because it will be out... in September?

Probably he's alluding to why on Earth would Activision launch Destiny and COD side by side. Wouldn't make much business sense at all.

Destiny 2 is probably a September / October 2017 game if its this year. Otherwise I'm assuming Spring 2018.

Either way we will have a good idea later today.

'forge of hope' is some fanfic-tier bullshit

you know, besides all the other red flags here

no, seriously

if you have to stop and ask yourself "what does that even mean"
as though you were literally reading the fanfic dreams of a moderately literate high school student
then isn't it likely that that's actually what you're reading

case in point

Bungie is scheduling for an event release every 1-2 months, centering around a theme similar to Overwatch

what does that even mean

Madness

man what bungie had in mind when they decided to not release the first game on pc lmao

They had on mind that they needed to break free from the shadow of Halo and not worry about a platform that still had tons of piracy and low sales compared to consoles. Remember Destiny had been in development since 2009 and the lead platform was Xbox 360.

Then in 2013 when the PS4 was announced and devkits for it and Xbox One became a reality, and Sony scored exclusive rights, they switched lead platform to PS4. As big and as great a studio as Bungie is, they supported 4 consoles at launch in 2014. Then after launch, they spent time refining and building the post launch updates like House of Wolves, Taken King, Rise of Iron. Obviously they would have wanted PC which is why they are focusing on it now, now that they don't have to focus on previous gen, have an all new ground up engine built on the next gen consoles, etc.

Who knows if this rumor is even true.

Katori

Wishful thinking, but no.

A simple compiler re-write alone can take 20 months, let alone any script IDE system (~15 months). There is no 'new engine'.

Re-writing a compiler? Why would you re-write the compiler?

For the purposes of a game engine, re-writing it would mean re-writing the map format, dev tools (which often look and act very ugly), and possibly rendering pipeline or maybe scripting engine. I'd say at least two of those are a given. But a compiler should never need to be rewritten, especially one used on a console.

Also this is obviously fake.

Woorloog

Banned
man what bungie had in mind when they decided to not release the first game on pc lmao

Four versions of the game, old platforms and new platforms. That was massive amount of work, even with expanded workforce. PC would've been too much on top of that, presumably.

What if there was no CoD this year?

Activision is already too invested in the 3 team 3 year plan. The COD that's releasing this year has already been in development for 2 full years. They can't delay / cancel at this point.

Now, if its another future shooter (which is likely as its probably Advanced Warfare 2) I would be very skeptical to its performance on the market.

I will be legit shocked if Destiny 2 ends up being 60 fps.

Either way this seems all fake and just fan speculation. Only Destiny 2 news I trust is from Bungie.

daffy

Banned
Would be crazy if it does release this year. That's at best a 3-4 month gap from announce to release. I just would be incredibly astounded to see Activision take that route.

yayaba

I am so in day 1 on this. I think the last game I bought that I had to have Day 1 was Portal 2. Since then it's always been buy-after-it-price-drops for me.

I just started Destiny 1 about a month ago and I'm super hooked. Maybe it's since I have 3 years of content to play but I think it's a terrific game. The gunplay and loot mechanic is too good.

Preordering, preloading, pre-whatever. Jumping in day 1 no matter what Bungie announces.

m4st4

How can Destiny 2 release this year? It's a huge project just to build new engine from ground up, not to mention full on sequel to a game that's been re-built several times and has so many elements that just have to work Day One, not to mention new ones. I understand Bungie as a studio is huge these days but still.

Lemondish

no, seriously

as though you were literally reading the fanfic dreams of a moderately literate high school student

case in point

what does that even mean

It's not hard to understand the symbolism behind the concept "Forge of Hope". You really can't understand that? A furnace or hearth for refining or producing hope. It's stupid, sure - but it makes sense.

As for the Overwatch part - it's referring to the seasonal events Blizz throws. Is that really that hard to understand?

Asd202

Yeah I mean September has become the Destiny month. Why would D2 launch in November? Especially when Call of Duty hits then.

I really have trouble believing Destiny 2 will be out this year. Seems far too short between announcement and release. September 2018 I can totally see happening though.

daffy

Banned
You mean like every COD released since COD 4.
COD is usually announced in May for a November release. Destiny would have to be announced in the next month for it to have the same trajectory. And its not looking likely.

edit: I feel like it will be announced this month. If not, its not coming this year.

What if they can't hit September but could hit November? It's not like Activision or Bunige is gonna skip the entire year because they can't hit September.

bachikarn

How can Destiny 2 release this year? It's a huge project just to build new engine from ground up, not to mention full on sequel to a game that's been re-built several times and has so many elements that just have to work Day One, not to mention new ones. I understand Bungie as a studio is huge these days but still.

They have been working on it for three years tho? It has already been delayed a year. It was supposed to come out in 2016.

Kill3r7

COD is usually announced in May for a November release. Destiny would have to be announced in the next month for it to have the same trajectory. And its not looking likely.

edit: I feel like it will be announced this month. If not, its not coming this year.

Activision does not have another AAA game coming out this fall, at least what we know so far. There is no way they are flying solo with COD: AW2 after the debacle that was IW. Maybe if it was BLOPS 4 I would buy it. Also plenty of October releases are announced in May. TTK was announced at E3.

What if they can't hit September but could hit November? It's not like Activision or Bunige is gonna skip the entire year because they can't hit September.

They would put it in either December or January / February at that point. As long its part of their fiscal year it doesn't really matter, it doesn't have to be in the calendar year, though obviously the earlier the better as that's added revenue for the year.

Still they won't do November. COD / Destiny side by side makes no sense and would only hurt each other.

Kill3r7

They would put it in either December or January / February at this point. As long its part of their fiscal year it doesn't really matter, though obviously the earlier the better as that's added revenue for the year.

Still they won't do November. COD / Destiny side by side makes no sense and would only hurt each other.

Ditto.

I am 99% sure they will hit September/October release date. That way they will have their first piece of DLC out by December and then another piece of DLC every 3-4 months after that.

I fully expect Destiny 2 to be revealed in the next 2 months. Even if not in a substantial way, at least an official announcement of some sort.

Wedzi

Banned

Not even just that Bungie's last three Halo games before Destiny, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, were all September games too.

Wedzi

Banned
I fully expect Destiny 2 to be revealed in the next 2 months. Even if not in a substantial way, at least an official announcement of some sort.

I'm expecting a Vidoc of sorts. Talking about where they've been and where they're going. With more details at E3, in particular Sony's conference. I doubt MS swung anything even though Sony has three huge shooters to promote this Holiday (Destiny 2, new CoD and Battlefront 2) while MS has nothing that I'm aware of. The first in a long time they won't promote a shooter over the holidays.

I'm expecting a Vidoc of sorts. Talking about where they've been and where they're going. With more details at E3, in particular Sony's conference. I doubt MS swung anything even though Sony has three huge shooters to promote this Holiday (Destiny 2, new CoD and Battlefront 2) while MS has nothing that I'm aware of. The first in a long time they won't promote a shooter over the holidays.

I actually think Destiny 2 is far too big of a deal than just E3 or a Vidoc

I'm expecting it to have its own big reveal event a la COD does every year in either March or April.

Who knows though, just my feeling on what would be the best way for Activision to handle it. I feel pretty confident on that though, as outside of COD this is Activisions pillar. This is their only other mega franchise currently, and its entirely possible Destiny 2 outsells this year COD

I'm expecting it to have its own big reveal event a la COD does every year in either March or April.

Who knows though, just my feeling on what would be the best way for Activision to handle it. I feel pretty confident on that though, as outside of COD this is Activisions pillar. This is their only other mega franchise currently, and its entirely possible Destiny 2 outsells this year COD
And this is why I said Destiny being in November isn't some crazy notion or a reason to dismiss the rumor (though I do think it's bullshit but not because of a November release date). Call of Duty could be moved to September. Destiny is the future of Activision at this point. Sooner or later it will take that marquee release date from COD.

Wedzi

Banned

CoD usually does their big event for the multiplayer reveal sometime in August ish. Campaign usually gets a reveal trailer during the NBA Playoffs.

Besides Sony's E3s are already large events now. Hell they put that shit in movie theaters. I could totally see an early Vidoc teasing stuff, then having the end of Sony's press conference to show off some single player stuff. Then a beta, constant updates and promotions until the release date in September.

no, seriously

case in point

what does that even mean

First I don't get how that's hard to understand. Fake or not every 1-2 months they'll have an event based around holidays or events.

Second if you think Forge of Hope sounds ridiculous I'd like to introduce you to a game full of shit that sounds like low tier fan fiction.

It's called Destiny.

Wedzi

Banned
And this is why I said Destiny being in November isn't some crazy notion or a reason to dismiss the rumor (though I do think it's bullshit but not because of a November release date). Call of Duty could be moved to September. Destiny is the future of Activision at this point. Sooner or later it will take that marquee release date from COD.

CoD is fully owned by Activision, Bungie still owns the Destiny IP and has creative rights. CoD is still very much Activision's priority.

Also there's the esports angle. Activision would love CoD esports to continue to grow while (until further notice) Bungie could give a fuuuuuck about esports.

CoD usually does their big event for the multiplayer reveal sometime in August ish. Campaign usually gets a reveal trailer during the NBA Playoffs.

Besides Sony's E3s are already large events now. Hell they put that shit in movie theaters. I could totally see an early Vidoc teasing stuff, then having the end of Sony's press conference to show off some single player stuff. Then a beta, constant updates and promotions until the release date in September.

Very few non 1st party games are revealed at E3 games now days. Destiny will be no different.

I realize that COD's event is later in the year. I'm not expecting the same out of Destiny, as it works entirely different. The big draw is PvE not PvP (though PvP is still huge). They are going to want to hype / reveal it as much as possible.

Its too big for E3, or for a low key Vidoc. We are talking about a game that is likely going to sell around 15-20 million units.

Bold One

What do you want to remain? Because if the same skills and weapon systems are transferred, I don't want Destiny 2. If they aren't but your characters are transferred, then how would they allocate the systems/weapon stats? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I just want my stuff that I have worked hard for.

Top Bottom