• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Destiny II: Forge of Hope, November 2017, [Kotaku & Bungie skeptical]

Will bite on PC, really happy to see more and more games on the platform. Loved the first Destiny for a little stint as a launch title.

renzolama

I am really suprised by how many people in this thread give a shit about something as trivial as the subtitle.

I hope it's legit just so we have another credible insider.

I give a shit about it, but only because I think it's funny. It maps directly to the current mobile game naming formula:

x + " of " + y : where x and y are two random words pulled from a relatively small list that have nothing to do with one another

In this case, the naming actually makes me doubt the credibility of the leak because I have a hard time believing that Bungie marketing would be unaware of its association with exploitative micro-transaction mobile games. Given the fervor over micro-transactions in AAA games, particularly the shitfit that Destiny fans have thrown repeatedly, that seems like an association they'd want to stay as far away from as possible. The rest of the "details" in the leak are all mapped 1:1 with previous rumors/theories but go no further in clarifying them or providing further evidence.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bungie is done with DLC though.

It's all gonna be free updates and then yearly paid expansion drops.

I could see two raids at launch. Entry level raid, and then a 2nd raid after you've done and geared from the first. Then maybe they drop a 3rd raid half way through the year. Then they start again with each expansion.

I like that idea a lot.

My main wants from Destiny 2:

- A fully expanded "collection" kiosk that tracks every piece of loot you've held at some point from common to exotic. I'm big on the completionist aspect and I know a lot of people who are. I use some third party sites to track all the gear and it adds a lot to the game for me.

- In-game lobby creation/joining tools for Raids.

- Optional matchmaking for literally every single other activity. The fact that Prison of Elders, Challenge of the Elders, Daily Story and Nightfall still -- after over two years -- do not have the option for matchmaking is inexcusable.

-
Let me bring my Raze-Lighter. Please.

Haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, has Schreier commented yet?

edit: just checked his twitter, seems to think it's fake. I mean it does kind of seem too good to be true, no?

What do you want to remain? Because if the same skills and weapon systems are transferred, I don't want Destiny 2. If they aren't but your characters are transferred, then how would they allocate the systems/weapon stats? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I would just be annoyed that all my ingame achievements are basically deleted.

Shaders, emblems and legacy stats should carry over for example. Guns can all be scrapped and character skills redesigned of course.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
No way Acti releases Destiny in the window they have set aside for COD. Other game avoid that specifically because of how well Duty sells. I just don't see Activision competing with themselves.

alt27

Bungie is done with DLC though.

It's all gonna be free updates and then yearly paid expansion drops.

I could see two raids at launch. Entry level raid, and then a 2nd raid after you've done and geared from the first. Then maybe they drop a 3rd raid half way through the year. Then they start again with each expansion.

DLC/Expansion - same thing in my eyes. Its paid content. And dont think there done with DLC.

Bungies idea of free content is pretty crap if you havent noticed and current model wouldnt fly with destiny community for the sequel of 1 expansion plus crap events.

Unless Activision have agreed the fee model already im thinking it will cost about 60$ per year to keep upto date with destiny 2 content. They know majority will pay it. They will charge it.

When I think about carrying a character over I think about how they look and other stats, not weapons and gear.

Still, destiny 2 neds to take some big steps so it's important they get the beginning right this time.

Zemm

hope the PC part is true. playing destiny at 60fps will be great. the framerate and fov on ps4 is horrible.

The FOV on console is the wost I've experienced in a game. It genuinely felt claustrophobic.

I'd buy this on PC, but I'm done with the series on console, so hopefully this is true about a PC version, I'm confident it is.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I would just be annoyed that all my ingame achievements are basically deleted.

Shaders, emblems and legacy stats should carry over for example. Guns can all be scrapped and character skills redesigned of course.

It all kind of depends on how "built from scratch" Destiny 2 ends up being. Bringing shaders over and having them interact with new armor could be a huge pain in the ass, for example.

If that's the case -- if they really did build Destiny 2 from scratch -- I understand leaving most everything behind. But I think they should try their best to at least let us bring our characters over.

I realize it might start them off from level 1 again and that's fine but I spent time designing two of my characters, and my girlfriend designed one of them that I love, based on the promise that our characters would come with us in future games.

Deku Tree

pz6rSAE.png

Hey that's me!

Activision earnings call gonna be like "Destiny 2 is still on track for 2017" next question please.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You could double up on a race or subclass without having to give up one of the other ones.

Can't have a Bow Hunter, Defender Titan, a Sunlock AND an offense centric race/subclass character that the other three are buffing into complete brokeness in the same session, for example, in normal play..

I honestly don't see that being an issue. In fact, I think if a group of friends want to "break" the game that way, have at it. Just have fun.

But when it comes to the Raids and other end game activities, yeah, balancing character use should be a high priority.

I'm in, probably PS4 though simply due to the issue of cheating. I would LOVE if it if all the systems tied into the same backend so you could login and play the same character.

Will miss my Destiny guardian but not a huge deal, I guess.

that reminds me I should login to destiny and claim my free reef weekly rewards

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DLC/Expansion - same thing in my eyes. Its paid content. And dont think there done with DLC.

Bungies idea of free content is pretty crap if you havent noticed and current model wouldnt fly with destiny community for the sequel of 1 expansion plus crap events.

Unless Activision have agreed the fee model already im thinking it will cost about 60$ per year to keep upto date with destiny 2 content. They know majority will pay it. They will charge it.

They'll probably just up the amount of microtransactions.

With more detailed character creator and such I highly expect more individual shit that can be bought via silver that's cosmetic.

The Big N

Banned
Either CoD is moving to a bi-yearly release or this rumor is false. The story "leak" is just the guy rehashing the action figure description leak from a couple month ago (besides the Cabal were the only enemy race that did not receive a raid in the first game). We already know Bungie is going to increase the frequency of updates/dlc based off their recent job listings and year 3 update overview. Although I think some of these things are true, its easy to piece together this leak. I don't believe Bungie created a brand new engine for the sequel, given they have used the same modified engine for years.

GlamFM

Banned

DesertFox

One of the most misunderstood quotes. Jason is talking about the fact that yes, in engine, their skyboxes are 90% actual physical (er.. in the digital sense) terrain. You can even still launch items from the playspace and land them on the distant mountains, the buildings out over the ocean on Venus, etc.

It's been this way in their games before Destiny.. If you do a proper glitch, you can go climb around on Sierra 117 if you really want to. It's what happens when you have real, great skyboxes instead of cube jpgs. It's why their sense of scale has always been pretty good.

The only difference is those areas aren't populated with encounters. There's nothing in the engine preventing them from being populated, at all, and they've become more strict about sealing the player in to prevent accidental softlocks.

No need to be an apologist for this blatant lie. He didn't say "It's all technically real geometry even though the player can't go there" he said "If you ran out there it's playable terrain." Plus what the E3 demo guy said "All of this is playable space. That we hope to one day get to send you to. It's all real geometry, you could go there. We could go there right now."

Yeah... try going there and let me know how that goes. Sure you might be able to glitch and get there somehow, but for everyday normal players there gonna get insta-killed by a death barrier.

That's the most Obi-Wan-Kenobi-technically-I-wasn't-lying explanation I've heard in a really long time. If they weren't trying to mislead players why wouldn't they just be honest?

jviggy43

They seem to be moving to a model of one huge expansion (TTK size) every year and size able free content drops every few months in between to fill the gaps. It works if they can push out the content fast enough, which they can if they have the engine in order now.

If the base game of Destiny 2 is the same as Destiny 1, then that does not work, at least for me. That is unless they want to keep trying to pretend this isn't an MMO.

Thats what I think they'll go back to like Destiny TdB/HoWs but this time with a sprinkling of loot boxes

FyreWulff

No need to be an apologist for this blatant lie. He didn't say "It's all technically real geometry even though the player can't go there" he said "If you ran out there it's playable terrain." Plus what the E3 demo guy said "All of this is playable space. That we hope to one day get to send you to. It's all real geometry, you could go there. We could go there right now."

Yeah... try going there and let me know how that goes. Sure you might be able to glitch and get there somehow, but for everyday normal players there gonna get insta-killed by a death barrier.

That's the most Obi-Wan-Kenobi-technically-I-wasn't-lying explanation I've heard in a really long time. If they weren't trying to mislead players why wouldn't they just be honest?

Because when you're used to talking to and demoing it to other industry people, they understand you mean it's real geometry in the engine that the player can interact with and has collisions and shit.

The general public tends to extrapolate it it to "FULL CITIES AND CONTENT AREA", even though he specifically said terrain.

As I said before, you've been able "to go out there" since Halo 2.

maxresdefault.jpg

and Halo 3

halo_3_out_of_sierra_117_by_proeclipze-d9mr2ha.png

Hell, a friend and I have been to the second highest skyscraper in ODST's city. The only reason we couldn't get on top of the highest one is we ran into a invisible ceiling that goes across the entire sky

kingsoftheworld.jpg

amazingjourney02.jpg

amazingjourney04.jpg

and Reach, where they modeled an entire highway on the first level that you never have an encounter on,but can fully traverse it if you bust out out of the map (and similar spots exists for other levels)

gXrVTwi.jpg

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe. There was never an intent to mislead.

Gator86

hope the PC part is true. playing destiny at 60fps will be great. the framerate and fov on ps4 is horrible.

Fuck, now I really want a FOV option. And 60 fps. I need to build a PC. I'd settle for just a FOV option on PS4 though. Hopefully the Pro version isn't a lazy one.

Raven117

Welp, I'll be signing up. Love me some Destiny.

As for character carry overs, don't care all that much...But I would like to hold on to some of the shaders/motes/banners. Guns and armor come and go due to the meta (rip fatebringer), but my all black shader I want to keep.

Oh, and separate pvp v. pve. While I get that its cool in theory, in practice it hurts the fun of both.

Let me be OP Bungie. Let me run Fatebringer, Black Hammer, G-horn. Let me wreck shop. Played your fucking game for 700 hours, I should be able to curb stomp just about everything.

Thanks.

gortsi

Neo Member
And Bungie doesn't even support those versions anymore so I'm not sure what your point is?

My original comment was hyperbolic but my point stands. The Switch is an under powered console and I'm 99.9% sure that it won't see any Destiny releases.

You're probably right, it won't see Destiny. But your original comment was just ignorant considering machines with 512MB of Ram could run it. And these versions received every update until Rise of Iron, and are still online and available to play. That's more than anyone was expecting

I'm in, probably PS4 though simply due to the issue of cheating.

This is a MMO. Unless Activision are completely stupid(see Ubisoft with The Division launch), then the game will be just like most of other MMOs on PC, where cheating isn't really a problem. Hell, they just need to ask Blizzard for tips, they've been doing well for more than a decade.

Top Bottom