• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1

madmackem

I think people are naive if they think most companies dont do this, i dont trust any big corp at all, they all will be using every trick in the book for every product.

Vamphuntr

That's not really surprising. There was a report here in Canada that showed that political parties make dummy accounts on news websites to pimp their opinions in the comment sections.

So I'm not surprised corporations are doing the same.

Ding-Ding

Not surprising in the least. In a previous job, I had to work with MS but it wasn't gaming related. Some of the shit I witnessed truly defies belief (before anyone asks, I cant talk about it)

Servbot24

Banned
That particular user doesn't seem like an employee, way too abrasive and unprofessional. Just a fanboy on damage control.

Got a few friends that work at redmond that spew all kind of PR talk about xbone, win phone 8, win8, surface (lol) on facebook.

It's more sad than annoying.

jtb

Banned
Infiltrating and trying to influence social media by pushing a corporate message is deceptive and screams of desperation. You should care.

Microsoft has been terrible at marketing (and desparate) for a long long time. so what. is it breaking the TOS? are they lying about the product?

do you really not get why people would care about this?

yes. MS has a marketing department. I can't really muster up the enthusiasm to manufacture outrage for this, sorry.

Swifty

From SunhiLegend:

ibsrgvZ5N5XBml.gif

This is why you don't get junior members to astroturf, you need to pay off established posters. Like for example posters who have been here a few years yet fly under the radar. Posters with sweet dragon avatars and email addresses not tied to your company. Not that I know anyone like that *wink*

Foffy

Banned
I never figured out this mentality. Wouldn't honest, critical discussions bring out the truth about any subject or matter? Or at the very least, get the closest to truth.

I ask this because wouldn't funneling money and craft a message to soften the blow already show the truth of the matter being largely negative, with the twisting just being to defend the greedy practices in the first place? I think sane people can see through the farce. It makes me realize we as people do a lot of stupid fucking things to create a "point" that's bogus and full of shittiness.

Zabant

Caught this on twitter earlier also, standard practice these days. Incredibly hilarious when they're found and have a spotlight shone on them.

Microsoft might be pushing it more but people are acting like this is uncommon. Having worked in fields that required this (to an extent) its incredibly common practice. The internet is the most powerful marketing tool available and RM and other similar practices are huge. Thankfully a more closed forum like GAF can avoid it but Reddit is massive and growing daily and its so easy for anyone to post.

Jarek23

Banned
What's the point? They're not going to change people's opinios just by trying to limit the amount of negative press.

No, but the limited amount of negative press will decrease chances of people from seeing said negative press.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jesus Bish's list will go from Notepad size to fucking scrolls that roll down for ages

I recall similar rumors with Sony all the way back in '06.

If anything, they'll need hundreds of thousands of shills to drown us all out. And they have to send bigger checks to the press because apparently they're not on their side too.

Zukuu

Banned
In this day and age, it shouldn't surprise anyone that companies doing PR work not only the normal way. Social media and viral marketing are long engulfed in PR wars. I'm sure that even on NeoGAF are a tons of these people.

Into

Whatever happened to making a product that customers want? They should try that.

Good point, but before they made a product that consumers wanted, now they are making a product that Microsoft themselves want. None of the Xbone policies benefit the consumer, but they sure as hell benefit Microsoft

So they needed soldiers out there, in hopes of trying to trick the average person that this wasent that bad at all.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The people who rabidly defend Halo 4 as the greatest game of all time and also claim to have inside information from MS and can't wait for the Xbone are on my watch list. On this forum.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The shills are all over GAF. They might even be YOU!

"But I must fight the corporate shills!"
"No Billy, you are the shills!"
"Then Billy was a prostitute."

I'm sure some of the anti-Xbox One posts come from Sony shills, too (as he says in his post). Still, the cost for posting those probably plummeted.

Have you never seen Twitter? Every major company does stuff like this.

Twitter is different because people have to follow you first. You have to build an audience to get your message across. Creating accounts on reddit and spamming corporate bullshit isn't the same thing.

Top Bottom