• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1

I'm just happy I was banned for the whole E3 month. Might had gotten a permaban because of the whole Shill debacle. I remember when I was on Gamefaqs, I couldn't say a single positive thing about the One, on its own board without people accusing me of being a Microsoft spy/employee.

It turns out Microsoft employees are indeed shilling for the Xbone after all.

They shill for every product. I had a chance to work for MS but never pursued it because their culture up in Redmond is fucking scary. They're huge and unavoidable. MS doesn't have to look hard to find shills because they pretty much control a city of them already.

And their weird contractor re-hiring system keeps people in the company for long times.

Posting a pic of your work badge on a gaming forum?

That's an Orthian level of career suicide.

He's not an FTE, he's a contractor.

Edit: Contractors generally have a much more restricted level of access to stuff that's not part of their day to day job. Even FTEs not in the Xbox group have almost 0 document privs (not even read only permissions).

GobFather

Aren't red badges part time/contracted employees? My friend who's full time on the Windows Phone team has a blue badge.

You could be right, I googled it and someone who used to worked as a contractor said,
"FTE' (full time employes) are known as BlueBadgers, and Contractors wear the Orange ID cards and are known as "the Monkey's"

lol cute nicknames?

Sean*O

Poster must have been so enraged and insecure he forgot about everything else. Poor guy. He completely forgot to turn off his monitor.

Also LOL @ MS having color coded badges.. I had no idea. I guess it makes it easier for people on campus to know who to look down upon and who not to.

GobFather

Poster must have been so enraged and insecure he forgot about everything else. Poor guy. He completely forgot to turn off his monitor.

Also LOL @ MS having color coded badges.. I had no idea. I guess it makes it easier for people on campus to know who to look down upon and who not to.

you're right.. a quote from an employee

"Bret Atom in Redmond, Washington said: I agree that CSGs or Orange badge employees get treated as second class citizens. Blue badgers play the politics game while Orange does the work. However if you go in as a "Orange" and know well in advance the company culture, and how there is a treatment disparity between badge colors, it is a great place to learn new technologies and build your resume."

abadguy

Banned
I'm just happy I was banned for the whole E3 month. Might had gotten a permaban because of the whole Shill debacle. I remember when I was on Gamefaqs, I couldn't say a single positive thing about the One, on its own board without people accusing me of being a Microsoft spy/employee.

Fanboys accusing people of being shills, can't even call it a carnival of stupid anymore. More like an amusement park at this point.

Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1
-on Reddit I assume?

tumblr_m0p1o2uohQ1qh3kmco1_400.gif

in all seriousness, of course they are, what corporate company doesent want free advertising? Im sure there are people here who promote games they are somehow involved in

JDSN

Banned
Fanboys accusing people of being shills, can't even call it a carnival of stupid anymore. More like an amusement park at this point.

Banning people on Gaf for being a shill is not as simple as winterfang says, but please, tells us in a passive agressive manner how you are being persecuted.

To be fair it was really obvious at the time who was a shill and who was genuinely excited about XbOne. Nothing to do with fanboyism.

Krakn3Dfx

A little OT, but my favorite thread posts on Reddit are when people say, "Well, I'm buying both systems at launch, but" and then go on to do nothing but shit on the PS4 like Sony is selling defective vials of the smallpox virus.

Maybe it happens on the XBO forums, too, I dunno, I don't go there (you're welcome).

If only we had some kind of confirmation by one of the mods about a great influx of juniors, probably with an agenda by looking at their email adresses...

bakeray

Personally I just quit posting in threads talking about either of them because it's useless and I'm obviously a terrible person because I don't want to play the PS4 or any of Sony's exclusive games. As if being a shill for Sony is any better than being one for Microsoft. Being a shill period is a joke, that seems to go over a lot of people's heads.

Wut where is my payment where can i sign up.
Sony or Microsoft call me.

Should have been posted right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9T3DNAdaI

You have to be a CIS or Computer Science major.

It's called Microsoft Student Rep program.

They pick one per major university. It's all about marketing and only talking positive about them... You are payed on your scale of impact and how many people you reach out.

There are all sorts of restrictions. It's mostly social media but Regedit and forums like Neogaf were acceptable at the time to help boost your numbers if you weren't meeting the minimum requirements.

abadguy

Banned
Banning people on Gaf for being a shill is not as simple as winterfang says, but please, tells us in a passive agressive manner how you are being persecuted.

Actually i was talking generally and not just about Gaf, especially since he brought up Gamefaqs in his post. I wasn't even on Gaf when the shill hunting was going on as i was banned at the time. I just find it amusing on forums watching fanboys call others out for being shills, when the only real difference between the two is a Shill is smart enough to collect a paycheck for it and could probably afford both consoles. As for the notion of feeling "persecuted" on a gaming forum. LOL!

They pick one per major university. It's all about marketing and only talking positive about them... You are payed on your scale of impact and how many people you reach out.

There are all sorts of restrictions. It's mostly social media but Regedit and forums like Neogaf were acceptable at the time to help boost your numbers if you weren't meeting the minimum requirements.

Wow I'm guessing you don't still have any documents on this?

It's not illegal but I find it super unethical

Actually I think the FCC has new rules on it if memory serves

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...with-ftc-over-alleged-app-store-astroturfing/

So is astroturfing now illegal?

trmas

Banned
There are a couple of new Junior members that appear to be shills for MS. Some of their comments border on the ridiculous in their support for the Bone

Wow I'm guessing you don't still have any documents on this?

It's not illegal but I find it super unethical

Actually I think the FCC has new rules on it if memory serves

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...with-ftc-over-alleged-app-store-astroturfing/

So is astroturfing now illegal?

I'm not going to do anything to expose myself... People in Universities who are interested can easily look it up. I didn't print out the rules and regulations... None of them really applied to me I was in a party frat...and just kept adding people in facebook, myspace, etc...like it was going out of style so I didn't have to work hard and could make the top $$$.

I still had to create a booth for a few events... All things were submitted digitally including to rules and seeing if you meet your quota at the time. This was also 4 to 5 years ago, so I'm sure the rules changed anyway. I do know it was still going on last year as one of my friends did it. It looks great on a resume and companies eat it up not even knowing what it really meant.

kurbaan

Banned
Ugh not this thread again. If the guy is clearly stating he is an employee and then defending its not astroturfing or viral marketing because he is not lying about any affiliation or bias.

Guess im in luck then i am an CS major :p.
A friend is the microsoft student rep at my uni he keeps me and others informed if they have some actions like that mobile phones one make apps get phone.
He even got an MSDN account from ms. So jelly :p

And annoys us with other microsoft stuff :p

Guess im in luck then i am an CS major :p.
A friend is the microsoft student rep at my uni he keeps me and others informed if they have some actions like that mobile phones one make apps get phone.
He even got an MSDN account from ms. So jelly :p

And annoys us with other microsoft stuff :p

You get a lot of free things... Don't get me wrong.

It just left a real soar taste. I felt unethical the whole time.

KoopaTheCasual

I'll just leave this here for those who don't remember that the mods at Reddit denied the Microsoft astroturfing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580925

Except that was only in reference to a single isolated post (the one that got the most attention on Reddit). Shilling happens for most major company, under the guise of being a 'representative'. Maybe that one instance was FUD, but to believe that neither Sony, Microsoft, or anyone else has shilled on a major site like Reddit, which boasts over 20million unique visitors a month, is blissfully ignorant. It's just business.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm not going to do anything to expose myself... People in Universities who are interested can easily look it up. I didn't print out the rules and regulations... None of them really applied to me I was in a party frat...and just kept adding people in facebook, myspace, etc...like it was going out of style so I didn't have to work hard and could make the top $$$.

I still had to create a booth for a few events... All things were submitted digitally including to rules and seeing if you meet your quota at the time. This was also 4 to 5 years ago, so I'm sure the rules changed anyway. I do know it was still going on last year as one of my friends did it. It looks great on a resume and companies eat it up not even knowing what it really meant.
They know exactly what it means. If you do well in a program like this, then it means that you are a prime candidate for placing the needs of their company or organization before commonly considered ethics or your own personal morals. This is a highly desirable quality, in not only some major corporations, but also within some government and private groups which specialize in "guiding" public opinion.

Within many universities, different outside groups may attempt to assess your ability to follow orders and keep secrets, even if they are things that you were taught to be unethical up until that point. Some groups are far more interested in these qualities, than say, your GPA, or your ability to be creative or invent something new and useful.

Top Bottom