• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1

BigDug13

Cheering shills has been standard industry practice since Sony's 2006 E3 megabomb. It's become increasingly obvious, with people loudly applauding even the awkwardest and worst product deliveries.

Well the reason why it's so obvious this time is because MS's policies are so incredibly anti-consumer. The likes of which we have never seen in the world of console gaming. Then when a bunch of juniors start talking about how these policies are a good thing when even the most ardent of Xbox fans are crying foul? It becomes way obvious.

Septimius

banned, not sure if its a perm.

looking at the xbox thread is like a graveyard. kinda feel sorry for them. there must be at least some genuine people caught in the crossfire.

I don't think we have any reasons to believe the mods aren't doing a good job on checking who these people are. I doubt they ban them just on suspicion, but it's at any rate, they're doing their job. Now, let's do ours, and praise the new Xbox One™!

Wait..

banned, not sure if its a perm.

looking at the xbox thread is like a graveyard. kinda feel sorry for them. there must be at least some genuine people caught in the crossfire.

The fact of the matter is that experienced gaffers know to simply avoid graveyard threads when at all possible. It doesn't mean the mods are banning indiscriminately, it just means that certain places are worth risking posting on and others are not.

Also I'm pretty sure Bish's banning ability is akin to an AoE attack. Lawn mower blades be lethal.

What if Microsoft getting discovered for reputation management in Reddit and is now making it seem like the original leaker was a fake and a massive troll and then take steps to make it seem like Microsoft wasn't at fault for doing this in order to defuse the whole situation and get more people supporting them by calling anyone who hates on microsoft someone an emotional reactionary troll looking to start trouble?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The bold is not mine its from the post

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1fyjgr/regarding_xbox_one_and_allegations_of_voterigging/

My only comment is i think the OP should have done at least an initial look at the user who posted, the account was created less than a day ago even though the post claimed that had been a regular redditor

This seems to be the new neogf 0 proof or even common sense required to tar a feather

a couple of folks including myself pointed out in the first page or two that there isn't even any such building, but here we are.

25 pages later.

also, buy Xboxes.

I don't think we have any reasons to believe the mods aren't doing a good job on checking who these people are. I doubt they ban them just on suspicion, but it's at any rate, they're doing their job. Now, let's do ours, and praise the new Xbox One™!

Wait..

Lol. tbh i think a good percentage of bans from xbox fans who just got slightly too upset and said something out of turn. that said there are a fair few marketers that got hit too. One in particular was amazingly calm based on his post history. It had to be soley on his affiliation.

What if Microsoft getting discovered for reputation management in Reddit and is now making it seem like the original leaker was a fake and a massive troll and then take steps to make it seem like Microsoft wasn't at fault for doing this in order to defuse the whole situation and get more people supporting them by calling anyone who hates on microsoft someone an emotional reactionary troll looking to start trouble?

I don't expect any company to admit to reputation management no matter what kind of evidence you have.

The third (or even fourth) party contractors they use are likely banned from revealing anything lest they be sued as well.

Look, GAF isn't special. There is no question there's been a VERY RECENT flood of dormant accounts suddenly activating to spread PR talking points. There's also no reason Microsoft (or the firms they hire) would target GAF specifically, and just happen to ignore Reddit, which is far larger and much easier to gain an account. Reputation management is most certainly going on there, denials or no- the only question is extent.

Unsubstantiated post on reddit about the Xbox gets a 25 page thread here? I'd love to say I'm shocked but I'm not.

This thread has long drifted into discussions of shilling in general , and its practice on GAF in particular, the original post just provided a thread on the subject.

Klocker

This thread has long drifted into discussions of shilling in general , and its practice on GAF in particular, the original post just provided a thread on the subject.

Edit clarify: reading the title alone regarding MS targeting Reddit

Regardless, judging by the posts in many other threads, countless have merely read the topic no doubt and form an instant assumption that MS is culpable here when in fact it is bullshit... many people don't bother with specifics, they just throw it on the pile of assumptions and prejudices of guilt and evil and paranoia...

beast786

Regardless, judging by the posts in many other threads, countless have merely read the topic no doubt and form an instant assumption that MS is culpable here when in fact it is bullshit... many people don't bother with specifics, they just throw it on the pile of assumptions and prejudices of guilt and evil and paranoia...

Amazing

You..should take a nap, relax, you're taking it really personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

ibsrgvZ5N5XBml.gif

awesome. what movie is this from?

Schrade

Amazing
I can always count on posting history for entertainment.

Hey, if anyone knows the buildings in question maybe they could highlight them on a Redmond Campus Map for us. That would clear things up a lot for those who had any doubts.

Klocker

You..should take a nap, relax, you're taking it really personal.

I really did not get enough sleep last night, you are correct. ;)

I can always count on posting history for entertainment.

Hey, if anyone knows the buildings in question maybe they could highlight them on a Redmond Campus Map for us. That would clear things up a lot for those who had any doubts.

glad I could amuse, you... that's why we are all here

Truespeed

Unsubstantiated post on reddit about the Xbox gets a 25 page thread here? I'd love to say I'm shocked but I'm not.

Are you also going to imply that the people that were jettisoned from here for being Microsoft shills and regurgitating the same message was also unsubstantiated?

GAF is closed community where you need to wait months to get account here and yet in that infamous MS thread bans were given one after another and almost every new page contained banned juniors that started being alive just before or after MS fuckup.

My point is: If closed community have shills on almost every page in that thread then imagine what is happening on open forum when you can create account in 2 minutes.

Shills are not "minor occurrences" Shills are standard of industry and not even for gaming.

Did you hear about iOS reviews/buys shills ? book review shills ? That is part of industry which is constantly growing.
Is there a link to the Xbox thread?

Klocker

Are you also going to imply that the people that were jettisoned from here for being Microsoft shills and regurgitating the same message was also unsubstantiated?

I have no doubt that if the mods banned someone for that then they had reason. It's the assumption that it is not happening on both sides and that MS or Sony would have corporate policies encouraging it that I find hard to believe,

A few employees who are passionate about their company posting their feelings does not automatically make them a paid shill and a marketing company doing a bad job of placing people on forums to act like puppets is stupid as well and I don't like seeing it....

but it happens on both sides....

MS has a history of Astroturfing, & we know that there have been MS employees who have been banned for trolling competing products on Gaf so no assumptions are needed.

Yeah, it's not like we've had any here that have been banned with Bish basically flat-out telling us that they're here...

Oh wait.

So you're saying, with absolutely confidence that Sony as a corporation doesn't do this. Pretty bold.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. In fact, I'm pretty sure they do, somewhere, maybe even here.

The real question is does Nintendo do this? Personally, I don't think they really do.

Klocker

Yeah, it's not like we've had any here that have been banned with Bish basically flat-out telling us that they're here...

I was referring specifically to the Reddit story (thread title) implicating MS as having planned it...

what happened/s here is specific to us and as I said above, obviously has merit but happens on BOTH sides

MisterHero

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. In fact, I'm pretty sure they do, somewhere, maybe even here.

The real question is does Nintendo do this? Personally, I don't think they really do.
It's known that Nintendo reads GAF, a Nintendo person visited the Smash Bros. Dojo thread when Brawl released.

A simple acknowledgement of the community is nice and all that's needed, really.

I was referring specifically to the Reddit story (thread title) implicating MS as having planned it...

what happened/s here is specific to us and as I said above, obviously has merit but happens on BOTH sides

Perhaps this particular story is false, but there are definitely tools on Reddit.

SeahawksPride said:
Bing is faster and finds more relevant information. It presents it in a modern and attractive format.

The user experience is vastly superior to that of Google.

Bing also values your privacy. Don't get Scroogled, folks!

I can say with relative certainty that this dude is probably a shill.

And really? The "if one's doing it, the other MUST be as well! They're both EQUALLY evil!" argument? I've seen enough of that in politics. While I wouldn't doubt that Sony doesn't do it, there really isn't any evidence (that I've seen, i'm sure you can find some) to support that claim.

Terra

However, this 'shillgate' have spilled over in many threads now. I wish it could blow over soon, that the consoles will be released.

not that i am buying anyone of them though

However, this 'shillgate' have spilled over in many threads now. I wish it could blow over soon, that the consoles will be released.

not that i am buying anyone of them though

Is this your first spin of the cycle on Gaf? This sort of thing is going to keep going until it is obvious who the "winner" is.

kairu

Someone I used to work with is a Microsoft fanboy and he literally did exactly this (Made an account on polygon so he could post nothing but pro microsoft/xbo stuff) and is not on Microsoft's dime.

Top Bottom