• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REIGN -- Season 1 |OT| Nobody cares, Kenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
d993c6f974b1b45644882e54ef4d6e7c.jpg

This is the official synopsis:

Set in 1557 France, the highly fictionalized series follows the life of Mary, Queen of Scots, at French court while she awaits her marriage to the future Francis II of France, whom she has been engaged to since they were six. At court, Mary has to contend with the changing politics and power plays, as well as her burgeoning feelings for Francis and the romantic attentions from Francis' bastard half-brother, Bash. Francis' mother, Catherine de' Medici, is secretly trying to prevent the marriage following Nostradamus's confidential prediction that the marriage will lead to Francis' death. The series also follows the affairs of Mary's Scottish handmaidens Kenna, Aylee, Lola and Greer, who are searching for husbands of their own at court.

But that's not what this show is really about.

The show is, yes, about Mary, Queen of Scots

5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg

She's a young queen of Scotland who has been sent to live with a covenant until she's ready to wed Francis, the future king of France. But then there's an attack on her life. This is all in the (absolutely fucking ridiculous/awesome opening):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jQbG-J0sNY

gVMqcMf.gif

But the best thing about Reign is probably Catherine de Medici

reign-15.jpg

This sassy fucking bitch is a scheming scoundrel with one, relentless goal: Stop Mary from marrying her son, Francis. She will poison bitches. She will murder bitches. She is fucking fierce and shit will go down.

And this is Kenna...

6dafa627f9de9c161d10acff72f5468c.jpg

...but nobody cares. Nobody fucking cares.

The best thing about the show is the political scheming of Catherine and Mary's resourceful towards dealing with Catherine's bullshit. Think Game of Thrones, with a dash of Gossip Girl. This show is fun, it's crazy. Oh, right, there are also blood Pagans who are sacrificing humans in the woods outside the castle and want to kill everyone in it including Mary nbd. There's also some casual decapitation.

And now you're like, well shit, this sounds good, where can I catch up? Hulu only has the last five episodes. Try OnDemand? I haven't looked there.

Also there's a super sexy episode that'll do some not-safe-for-work-or-broadcast sexytime: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/05/cw-reign-uncensored/

Long may she Reign!

Tumblr_mw277kxPL01sp2vy8o1_500.gif

Airs Thursdays at 9pm on the CW

sammich

My wife loves this show. I dunno where they actually film this but ive seen signs for filming crew around Etobicoke(Toronto) for this show. My wife now wants to go stalk them.

Tucah

you speak so well
My surprise of the TV season. Such a fun show, can't wait for a new episode tonight. Lots of Catherine every week, please.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tonight's episode: 113 -- "The Consummation"

"The Consummation" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LSV) (HDTV)

A ROYAL WEDDING OCCURS BUT WHO DOES MARY CHOOSE? - With a forced marriage looming, Mary (Adelaide Kane) must consider both her heart and her nation when deciding whom she will wed - Francis (Toby Regbo) or Bash (Torrance Coombs) - when Francis returns to court with Lola (Anna Popplewell) at his side. Further complicating matters is Mary's mother, Marie de Guise (guest star Amy Brenneman), who visits the castle with her own agenda for Mary. Marie's presence worries King Henry (Alan Van Sprang) and Queen Catherine (Megan Follows), who have their own plan for the future of France, regardless of who gets hurt in the process. Celina Sinden and Caitlin Stasey also star. The episode was directed by Fred Gerber and written by Laurie McCarthy (#113).

Video promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GwCdnRfop0

REMEMBER THIS IS THE ONE WHERE THE EXTRA SEXY VERSION GOES ON THE CW'S WEBSITE TOMORROW. SUPER SEXY. SEX. COWGIRL.

Leeness

Subbed so quickly.

I DONT KNOW WHO TO RSVP FOR TONIGHT.

I LOVE THIS DAMN SHOW.

Also I laugh every time Mary says Francis angrily. She has this weird accent/lisp almost. Comes out as Fffffwrancis.

TONIGHT IS GONNA BE SUPER SEXY.

Also, Mary already had sex with Francis. Surely this is WRONG when it comes to royal marriages lol.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It kinda sucks that I can't talk about the show when watching because it airs on Wednesdays in Canada and I already know what happened.

Leeness

Way to go, Ratsky. Way to see wrong.

Edit: Way to see extra wrong.

I love how people in this show can shrug off stabs to the neck, and now apparently a total braining with a rock lol

Tucah

you speak so well
Of course Clarissa is still alive.

And I knowing how actual history goes I figured she would end up with Francis here but they're both so dull that I honestly didn't care which one she chose. There was some solid scheming in this episode so I liked it though, plus now Catherine is free to be fabulous and fierce all around the castle and isn't that why we're all watching?

Leeness

Omg Ratsky you're actually the worst :p

Also, ending was pretty harsh on Bash. Lol. Ice cold, king.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning lol

ivysaur12

Banned
-- OF COURSE Catherine is planning her own funeral. Fabulous, even in the face of death.

-- Nosty gets shirtless! I'm okay with this.

-- "The dozen ships made of silver and gold..." "...symbolic of my journey to Heaven." OH YOU

-- What is Amy Brenneman's accent?

-- Mary de Guise vs. Catherine = YASSSSSS. "Has Scotland noticed its king has rather overexposed breasts" oh my god.

-- Nostradamus, you idiot. Catherine realizing what the fuck has happened is such a good scene, though.

-- Beautiful exterior in the graveyard.

-- Jesus Christ, Kenna's backside. This girl is gorgeous.

-- This is easily the best directed episode since the pilot.

-- Thank god Mary's agency came from herself and not the Pope. Still, the whole thing is a little ridiculous. But, feminism, I suppose.

-- This would've been a really satisfying finale if they had been canceled after 13.

-- Bash v. Francis sans Mary is so much more interesting.

-- "We'll do another ceremony for you at Notre Dame, but because our budget is super small... yeah, we'll do that later."

-- "We've handled the misfortune of your sex, haven't we?" Ouch.

-- Oh thank god they still have all the leftovers from the Funeral Party for the Wedding Party!

-- I don't really coo over fashion, but holy shit, Adelaide was gorgeous in that wedding dress. Also, good use of Danielle Alpin, if a bit on the nose.

-- #ClarissLives!!! YAASSSSS

-- God, Mary is such a great character.

-- WTF Nosty. NO TAKEBACKS. But yay, ear death! Like in real history!

-- The consummation is awkward as hell. Oh my god. And I guess it sort of happened like this? With less people. But still.

Great episode, even with all of the balls in the air. I'm glad the love-traingle is over, for now. Easily the weakest part of the show, but it was handled well in the end.

Reign 1x14 preview. Aww shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N9XrIfHkE

anaron

Nosty/Ratsky can get it.

-- Catherine telling him she'll watch him burn was fist pump worthy. Drag him! She might just be my favourite new 2013-2014 character.

Ew at Francis and Mary but the direction going forward is definitely interesting. Sick of that love triangle nonsense.

Clarissa lives!!!!!!

Clarissa plot was quite the voodoo. Put a big smile on my face.

The moment Francis arrived I knew how they were gonna play Bash. I like this though. His character was better as the free rebel brother.

The bedding ceremony was awkward and cold as all fuck. I wouldn't have blame him if he killed him right there. He would have died soon after, but damn if that ain't some fucked up shit to see.

Also Mary's mom? Good lawd that woman was a treat.

Joni

I called it on Clarissa not being dead. Would have been an awesome series finale, but I'm really glad it isn't.

ivysaur12

Banned
@TVMoJoe: REIGN notched a 0.7 A18-49 and a 1.0 in W18-34. It beat Fox's RAKE in W18-34, even though RAKE had an IDOL lead-in.

Best since premiere numbers and now steadily ahead of where Booty and the Beast was last season.

REIGNNNNNN!!!!!!

(Matching series highs for both of those demos!!!!!)

Leeness

Best since premiere numbers and now steadily ahead of where Booty and the Beast was last season.

REIGNNNNNN!!!!!!

(Matching series highs for both of those demos!!!!!)

YAAAAAY. You go Mary!

Also, I hope that now that they've gotten married. And after the bros work out their ~feelings~, we see some more of the pagans. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

Ricker

The show grew on me,I always loved that era so I kept watching and I like it a lot now...going to watch the last 2 episodes tonight(I often do this,DVR shows and watch the last 2 or 3 weeks back to back).

Leeness

LOL.

UPDATE: The Parents Television Council issued a statement condemning The CW’s plan:

“The CW Network is doing parents no favors by allowing children unfettered access to sexual content from this young adult and teen-targeted show online,” said Dan Isett, PTC director of communications and policy. “It’s appalling that a broadcast network would flaunt broadcast standards in this manner and the network should be condemned for this action … There’s a reason that the CW Network’s own standards department cut the two sex scenes from the broadcast version – they weren’t appropriate for television. So what makes them appropriate to post online where presumably children will be able to watch them with no rating or blocking capability? Nothing. The CW Network should be ashamed.”

Except I don't think it's even up anyway so whatever. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom