• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Release date for Kingdom Hearts 3 has been decided, but Nomura can't announce it yet

Valnen

Soooo Agrabah and Colisseum will be back, won't they?

I hope so. Literally the entire reason I play these games is for the optional boss fights.

I hope Sephiroth is back too, and way harder than before. With FF7 remake coming, it would be a waste to not have him.

If I were a Disney exec, I would tie a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer to Frozen 2 when it gets released in theaters next year. It would heavily feature Elsa and other Frozen characters in it. You can bet your ass the game would sell ten times as many copies.

Better graphics and slightly bigger worlds but it's stil probably going to be the same tried and true KH formula we know and love. There is probably significantly less experimentation going on compared to XV so development is probably going really well once they switched to UE4.

If I were a Disney exec, I would tie a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer to Frozen 2 when it gets released in theaters next year. It would heavily feature Elsa and other Frozen characters in it. You can bet your ass the game would sell ten times as many copies.

I'd actually be really surprised if this did not happen. It is a fucking guarantee that we will see Frozen in this game
and that has me so damn excited

Team Osaska is developing no? I don't know FF XIII and XV have made people forget that SE can be pretty efficient with how quickly they get games out. Those two games had very out of the ordinary development circumstances. I can 1000% believe this game will launch in 2016, if not early 2017.

J-Skee

I almost don't want this to come out next year. 2016 is way too stacked. I love it though. Unreal Engine 4 is really that good for accelerated development, huh?

Sami+

Nomura also states almost all of the worlds in Kingdom Hearts III will be new.

ZoH3UFg.gif

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My bet is we will see FFXV in December next year and Kingdom Hearts 3 in March of 2017.

Either that or Nomura can't announce it yet since he doesn't know the exact date of the heat death of the universe.

Neo Dark

Uh... I don't think the frozen sequel will be out for a few years unless they change the plans for the three other films they're already working on.

And yeah... I'm not buying into the they have a release date planned. Sounds more like they're just trying to get your attention

Thoraxes

Calling it now:
FFXV - May 2016
KHIII - December 2016
DQXI - Spring 2017 (slightly missing DQ Anniversary)
FFVIIR - November 2017

I'd honestly only expect 1 big game per fiscal year from them, to be a little more reasonable/tempered in my expectations.

And there will probably be another FFXIV Expansion in ~1-2 years too.

RK128

Its very likely that the games release is coming, as they are finally make a big deal about Disney worlds appearing in the game (and they wouldn't be showing them off like they did with Tangled this E3 if the game wasn't close to completion). My guess is that KH3 is either a fall 2016 World-Wide release or fall release in JP/spring release in NA/EU.

Regarding FFXV, that is at this point 70-80% complete, so now they are just polishing the combat engine, leveling systems and taking peoples feedback from the PS4/X1 Demo that came with Typo-0 and integrating that feedback into the final game. The only issue that team is facing is ensuring a stable frame-rate for the tittle, as if the 2.0 Demo is any indication, they are making great progress on PS4 but need a lot of work for the X1 (as that goes into the 10's with Frame Rate if DF is correct). The game basically needs some refinement for the remainder of the year, that way it can be ready for launch in JP either this fall or early this spring. Than localization can start, leading it to launch in NA/EU summer 2016/fall 2016 (and that pushes KH3 into early 2017).

Dragon Quest XI is likely a cross-generation game, so that should come out much faster than both KH3 and FFXV combined. So, with that in mind, I feel that it will launch sometime in 2017 after KH3's release or be held-off until FFVII Remake comes out.

Speaking of the FFVII Remake, that is using both Unreal Engine 4 and is a huge tittle for Square Enix for pushing PS4's in JP, so they must want the game out very soon. And if the rumors were right, the game has been in the works for a good year before this E3's announcement; solid work has been done so far on the tittle. So, a late 2017 or early 2018 release is likely.

Square, to put it bluntly, got there shit together with the PS4. Its easy for them to work with, they have UE4 to work with and they understand HD development now. That alongside learning a lot from their partnership with Edios and the work they did with their tittles, they understand HD development better than most JP studios on the market now.

I have high hopes with Square Enix thanks to this E3, so lets see what happens :).

I'd honestly only expect 1 big game per fiscal year from them, to be a little more reasonable/tempered in my expectations.

And there will probably be another FFXIV Expansion in ~1-2 years too.

They publish more than their Japanese games though. Aren't Hitman, Tomb Raider and Just Cause launching at the end of this year? If they're not spacing those out I don't see why FFXV and KH3 being 4-8 months apart is unreasonable.

have they even started development on FF7?

According to Verendus, pre-production work on FFVII:Re was already underway in 2013. Actual production for VII:Re has been going on for at least 11 months or more, if some sources are to be believed.

If they are using UE4, utilizing outsourced development (like CyberConnect 2) and/or production assistance from SCE, in addition to their own in-house AAA development- yeah... I could see a solid 3 year development for FFVII:R for a late 2017 release.

2018 seems more realistic, though. I doubt they will be held hostage to some kind of "20 Year FFVII Anniversary" deadline. They could easily cover that by releasing some kind of Crisis Core/Dirge HD package & tossing in a playable VII:Re demo to honor that occasion. I definitely don't want them to rush it.
We clearly saw at E3 that S-E is on fire with various productions- and according to Verendus, there are even more that haven't been announced that could come to light in the next 12 months or so.
S-E is kicking ass right now.

Thoraxes

They publish more than their Japanese games though. Aren't Hitman, Tomb Raider and Just Cause launching at the end of this year? If they're not spacing those out I don't see why FFXV and KH3 being 4-8 months apart is unreasonable.

They could, as long as one is in December and one is after March 31st. It's more about money than just releasing them when they're done.

It just doesn't really seem like them to release major titles outside of that Sept.-Dec. period they usually stick to for major releases.

I only say this based on what they've done previously though. The sky is the limit here, but I don't think they'd stray too far from what they've been doing, and playing it safe in their condition seems like something they are currently sticking to.

Would I want both games as soon as possible and close together? Hell yeah I would, I just don't expect it at all.

RK128

heh, they switched engines after months of development? wow

The engine switch is likely due to the game not making enough progress with the FFXV engine; many of its lead people are working on FFXV in assuring it runs well on PS4/X1. So, they could not help the KH team work with the engine, leading to them running into a wall sometime in 2014.

Unlike the FFXV situation though, Square said "This isn't working for you? No problem, just move it to UE4. We understand this one much better anyway :)." They cannot afford another game going into development hell, so they switched engines to get the game out faster. And this E3's trailer is the result of that progression; KH3 looks like a real game now with three huge worlds being showed off :).

Philippo

Curious to see what we'll get from FFXV at Gamescom.
Since they're talking about "beginning of marketing campaign", i can't see it being more than a year from release.
If they come out with a timeframe, that'll help us figuring out when KHIII could release.

KH games DO tend to run on the shorter side of most RPGs, but the extra content always makes them seem super long, too..

I'm just saying that in general, even if Nomura rushes through every single unresolved plot point, (Aqua, Ventus, Terra, 7 Lights, True XIII, Princess of the Hearts, War, X-Blade, etc ), that's at least KH2 level of content, with a far, far larger final battle, because now the final battle with involve 7 chosen ones instead of Sora/Riku only.

Final Fantasy VII is definitely coming out in 2017. No way will it miss the date, otherwise they wouldn't announce it now, or wouldn't announce it at all, especially with how Square's reputation is for announcing games way too early. It's the 20th anniversary of that title and I would be absolutely dumbfounded if they missed it entirely seeing as Crisis Core made it for the 10th anniversary.

Final Fantasy XV releasing the same year as VII could happen, especially if it has a demo for VII on it, but I can't help but think that this might be detrimental to XV's success as it would easily be overshadowed by VII Remake.

In the beginning I would've laughed at the idea of Kingdom Hearts 3 launching in 2016 or even before XV, but after seeing it at E3, there is a possibility for it to come out not only before, or perhaps even the same time as XV if it manages to be out by 2016.

Also I laugh at everyone who said The Last Guardian was a bigger vaporeware than XV. It was rumored in 2007, announced in 2009 and reintroduced in 2015 with a 2016 release. XV was announced in 2006, officially shown in 2011, reintroduced in 2013 and releasing maybe in 2016/2017.

Best wishes.

I'm just saying that in general, even if Nomura rushes through every single unresolved plot point, (Aqua, Ventus, Terra, 7 Lights, True XIII, Princess of the Hearts, War, X-Blade, etc ), that's at least KH2 level of content, with a far, far larger final battle, because now the final battle with involve 7 chosen ones instead of Sora/Riku only.

Gotta tie up the Sephiroth/Cloud story with an awesome new Sephiroth boss battle too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out before FFXV at all, S-E Osaka is capable of pulling it off.

I was expecting it in 2018, if it releases before XV I will laugh so hard.

Well, FFXV could very well be about two times larger than KHIII in size/scope.
If KHIII follows the pattern of the first two, you'll have each encapsulated world consisting of a few screens, a gummi-ship travel map, etc.
FFXV looks to be insanely massive with its open world, is using a more complex engine, and relying on more realistic/detailed characters, cities, and landscapes.

Obviously I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that XV is much more ambitious of a production than KHIII. :}

Top Bottom