• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering MGSV and getting sad part XI: audience robbed of revenge

Roni

Gold Member
This is the silliest excuse ever. How does it make sense for both of them to have the same voice?

You really want to pick apart that little nugget of a plot device? Why did they have the same face? How did they have the same memories?

You're looking for an answer that lies in the territory of suspension of disbelief.

The expository nature of the dialogue in THIS game. Kojima doesn't imbue a sense of "show don't tell " in his games.......he shows AND tells. Ocelot spewing lines like "thirst for revenge" and what not. We know what the theme of the game is. No one in Sons of Liberty ever uttered the word "meme" once.

That's not really a Kojima thing, a lot of Japanese games, books, movies, etc. spell out the themes to their audience. Japan has always been more explicit with that kind of storytelling.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with MGSV's dialog and not the others. The previous games were far more in your face with telling you the stories themes. Seriously, Liquid in MGS1 and The Boss in MGS3 just dump all the thematic elements onto you right before you fight them.

Saying it wasn't the 'biggest part' doesn't mean it wasn't important for those other games. It just means it wasn't the focal point, it was not part of the series' main DNA. It played a role in those games, especially in Snake Eater and Peace Walker, it doesn't in V...

What would be a part of the series' main DNA if you don't mind then?

Also, I never said it was the biggest part, I said it was one of them, and I still stand by what I said, half of the reason I even play these games is because of Snake's and Raiden's characters, I like them and want to see what happens to them, everything else is secondary.

Hell if it wasn't for that I would have dropped Peace Walker immediately because I didn't like the game.

I actually didn't like it's story as well, it's also one of my biggest disappointments in the series, along with TPP.

Oh, let me add another bullet point to that list, Peace Walker is also guilty of this. MGS4 is also bad at this, but for different reasons.

-Boring bosses without personality who can kill you way too fast.

Special mention goes to the Skulls, who are just generic undead elite mooks in MGSV, and FUCK those clown vehicles in MPW.

Don't mistake my use of 'good reason' for it being a reason you should like, it just means it makes sense narratively and thematically.

Fair enough.

Runner67

Honestly, to me the only way Konami saves the story to MGS5 is to actually make an MGS6 that still follows Big Boss. Who knows what they are planning at this point but I cant see them discarding the fox engine after this zombie spinoff. Kojima wasn't the only one responsible for MGS's story entirely, so others could be potentially continuing it. To me that's the only way 5's story can feel complete in the long run

Tried to replay it last week and as a game it's not a coherent package: the open world makes no sense whatsoever, mother base is quite the joke. Initially some systems are cool, like fultoning animals or capturing soldiers with the interpreter skill, but then it becomes clear that it will amount to nothing. I was quite depressed and a couple of hours in I uninstalled the game.

I'm in the process of replaying Metal Gear specifically to go through V for the first time. I know at least some of the twists in it already, so it's more to just finally see it through.

Threads like this give me real pause as to whether I should even bother. It seems like a...divisive game to say the least.

But I also like 4 the best which seems to be an equally touchy subject, soooooo maybe I'll like V. Other than the broad strokes and the general unhappiness with it here, I'm unsure what V is actually like to play.

If you loved 4, you would hate this game so much. That's because it's the opposite in every regard.

OT: MGS5 is the disappointment of this generation for me. Not even Mass Effect Andromeda could steal that title. I have always loved MGS games because they had incredible unique elements on how they handle characters, story telling regardless if it's bad or not. Something that Kojima completely gutted MGS5 from. It turned into one of those mindless open world where you do a bunch of stuff that never matters for the development of the game.

Roni

Gold Member
If you loved 4, you would hate this game so much. That's because it's the opposite in every regard.

Not necessarily, I think MGS4 is the pinnacle of classic MGS gameplay. Peace Walker and V are something different, and I love them too.

Pejo

I put more hours into MGSV than the rest of the series combined. It was a great game, and the gameplay was so, so good.

I never understood why people had a boner for the MGS story, it wasn't that good to begin with. I beat MGS 1-4, and none of it really made me go "wow!" It was ok for a video game series and the cutscenes were well done, but it wasn't like life-changing.

That said, this game was clearly unfinished, and there were probably significant problems during development, but I still really like playing the game, which is the important part for me.

Ducktail

MGSV is quite possibly the greatest example of a missed opportunity in the videogame industry. Not a bad or awful game or even disappointing. In fact, it's quite fun to play and has a very fun and interesting gameplay loop. The missed opportunity is the story it could have told with everything that happened between MGSPW and MG1 but it ended up telling a story about... nothing. 50 hours of gameplay and absolutely nothing to show for it.

MGS 1-4 were able to tell an interesting connected story that kept players interested and on their feet, and MGSV managed to just bore to tears during the very occasional story exposition moments that occurred during the game. For a series that is well known for it's gameplay and story, the fact that the story is missing ruins a great chunk of enjoyment one would get from playing the game. It's just a complete missed opportunity in that regard.

My man.

Another observation about V's relation to 2:

As a reflection of solidus, you might say that Venom's buddy roster are akin to Dead Cell.

You have:

The heavy : D-Walker / Fatman
The scout : D-Dog / Vamp
The sniper : Quiet / Fortune

As for D-Horse I'm not so sure.

velociraptor

MGSV is the worst MGS game I have played, and I still don't even know what the fucking plot is.

I have just found out now that character you play in the game isn't even Big Boss.

When was that revealed in the game?

The controls were fantastic but everything else sucked balls.

Audioboxer

MGS is dead just as Silent Hill is. Konami legacy 👌

Kojima screwed the pooch on 5 too though. Great gameplay, utterly terrible story. Even by MGS standards. 4 haters gonna gate, MGS4 was still a great MGS game.

End of an era and all that jazz, just gotta hope Kojima can go on and do something great with Death Stranding.

Whompa02

Another observation about V's relation to 2:

As a reflection of solidus, you might say that Venom's buddy roster are akin to Dead Cell.

You have:

The heavy : D-Walker / Fatman
The scout : D-Dog / Vamp
The sniper : Quiet / Fortune

As for D-Horse I'm not so sure.

D-Horse is the soldier peeing off the side of Strut L. But seriously these comparisons are getting ridiculous.

Zutrax

I remember when the game first came out and everyone thought chapter 51 was some kind of ARG or an update that kept being teased or needed to be unlocked somehow. It was nuts and felt like such a "Kojima" thing to do. But as we all know it was all bunk and the chapter truly just didn't exist or get finished.

The game was really incredible as a video game, but it was such a disappointment as a Metal Gear game. Metal Gear is probably my favorite all time game franchise to exist, and I was really hoping for more story, more character interaction, just more Metal Gear goodness. Instead we got a very small amount of it and an unfinished story to boot.

I'm sad that this was the sendoff for Metal Gear, I'm happy it was at least a fantastic game to play and had some great story moments still I can fondly remember. But I really wish it could have been finished at the very least.

I loved the game. One of the best I've ever played.

Didn't mind the story. I liked what we got. Could it have been better? Sure, but I am more than happy.

Why did BB need to 'fall' anyway? His character arc or, rather, lack thereof still makes sense without MGS5. The latter is completely superfluous in the grand scheme of the series.

Everything BB does is in pursuit of his warped understanding of the Boss' final will which, for him, amounts to the establishment of a 'paradise' for soldiers (see: a nuclear-armed rogue state). The war economy was just the natural conclusion to the Boss' dream.

Orb

As one of the few people who LOVED MGSV's ending missions(Quarantine and the twist, not quiet's) I don't think any game will ever effect me as much as the
"Big Boss is the legend, not the man" reveal with Venom

I also never super cared about Solid Snake, the only game I've actually played of his is 2, which is arguably more Raiden's game. I love the character of Big Boss to death, and disagree generally with the "coward" stuff.

I still feel the point of that twist was to show just how Big Boss was able to seem so superhuman, and it does that by showing
that there was 2 big bosses, both working to build up the legend. He was literally in two places.

The stuff about Big Boss stealing someone's life is flimsy at best, since the soldier likely would have died for him either way.

#BigBossDidNothingWrong

Wink

It is sad that it wasn't given more time. Fact. Yet disappointment comes from expectation.
Of course players are allowed to bring baggage from the previous entries of the series or from marketing material, but that is more often to their own detriment.
MGSV very much delivered on its marketing promise of excellent sandbox gameplay the likes of which has never been seen on console.
The story had a very interesting tone and expected a lot of the player. One might fault it for being imperfect, but that did not stop it from having me thinking about it or carrying emotional weight. It's only really such a massive problem as it's constantly made out to be, because many people cannot disassociate their expectations from the reality of the game. To me what was there stayed with me for a long time. I have easily spend more time playing and pondering MGSV than all the other entries combined, because it's really unique, highly ambitious, massively successful in most areas and horribly chopped up and slaughtered by time constraints in some
others, but it's not incoherent. It's just very different storytelling than other titles in the series and with what Kojima was aiming for I'm not so sure if all the time in the world would have made a massive difference to the disappointed, because what he was aiming for was a different kind of Metal Gear. To me it's easily a masterpiece on its own merits.

I stopped playing MGSV after killing Sahelanteapgous (mission 31)

What other missions do I play to continue the story of MGSV?

Well, you're banned, but this may help you anyway:

Play main missions marked yellow and side ops marked yellow. Listen to intel tapes. If you've played all intel tapes and yellow missions and side-ops available without anything new showing up, try playing a few normal side-ops, or higher-difficulty main mission, or try going back to mother base for cutscene

Orb

Also, lol, reading through this thread and I cant believe there are real, living people that defend Huey in MGSV.

Top Bottom