• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering MGSV and getting sad part XI: audience robbed of revenge

Vic_Viper

Can't believe Konami patched the game yesterday, allowing Ocelot to be playable at mother base lol. Maybe Square noticed and are working to make Aranea playable in FFXV!

Hope this is a sign they are willing to go back and do more of the Fox engine. Especially a remake for MGS3.

Makes me really want to go back and play V again.

horkrux

Can't believe Konami patched the game yesterday, allowing Ocelot to be playable at mother base lol. Maybe Square noticed and are working to make Aranea playable in FFXV!

Hope this is a sign they are willing to go back and do more of the Fox engine. Especially a remake for MGS3.

Makes me really want to go back and play V again.

haha, no

they just like supporting the part of MGSV that still seems to be making them a decent amount of cash

I really want to play this game, but the consensus are so divided.

Most disappointing game ever.

Best game of all time hands down

wat-gif-3.gif

Fardeen

why did u have to bring the phantom pain. its the only game that really hurts my soul thinking about it. man, such a disappointment , it hurts

Neith

Banned
I'm kind of surprised people still get disappointed by Kojima. He's a pretty decent director when they rein him in but for the most part he's a master of writing checks his games can't cash. He hasn't made a single game in the past decade that isn't massively disappointing in some way.

Yep, that too. It's like people missed MGS2's release and never even read about it.

I agree. The fact that people can call this the best game of all time with a straight face is beyond hilarious. I suppose if you have played like 3 games.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm replaying MGS TPP right now as it happens, and whilst I really enjoy the gameplay the story is bad imo. Doesn't feel like an MGS game at all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really want to play this game, but the consensus are so divided.

You really ought to give it a go. Its cheap to pick-up these days, and is extremely polished and fun to play. Its a big game too.#

Its also worth noting this is a game with a 93% metacritic rating.

I'm kind of surprised people still get disappointed by Kojima. He's a pretty decent director when they rein him in but for the most part he's a master of writing checks his games can't cash. He hasn't made a single game in the past decade that isn't massively disappointing in some way.

That is your opinion.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I am shocked that people fell for the marketing hype yet again. After MGS2 i kind of expected people to expect this kind of stuff from Kojima in the future and not fall for stuff that shows up in the trailers. Personally i am glad that the game did not fall into another MGS4 type scenario, where its only reason to exist is to please the fans and nothing else. It kind of seemed obvious from GZ and Peace Walker that Kojima was done with long winded 1-2 hour cut scenes and boring power-point presentations that plagued MGS4. Big Boss was already shown to be a villain at the end MGS3 and the entirety of Peace Walker so i have no idea what anybody expected? Its not like it was a broken promise because we already saw everything in the previous games.

Now i am not defending MGSVs narrative because in all honesty it is just as bad as MGS4. The thing is i kind of did not mind it because MGSV still remembered to be a game at the end of the day and as a game it was one of the most satisfying games ever released and offered more Gameplay content than all the rest of the MGS games combined. So it is not difficulty for me to overlook some unfinished aspects of MGSV and a bland filler side story.

Only one mission got cut and nothing else. Granted the way they presented Chapter 2 makes it seem more unfinished than it actually is but people throw around hyperbole that the game is "unfinished". if i had to bet MGS4 probably had way more stuff cut out considering how hollow that game feels but that is besides the point.
There is a difference between a game not being what you might of have wanted and a game being unfinished or bad. MGSV was awesome and it succeed in its goals admirably.
He was?

What I remember most about MGS V was that pre-release debate thread where people though Joakim Mogren wasnt real and was instead an example of what the Fox Engine could create. 😂😂😂

Roni

Gold Member
For me, this is still the best game in the franchise. Story is there, intrigue is there, mystery is there, gameplay is at its finest, there's a lot of meat in the cassette tapes for those who want to delve into the lore, key outposts are amazingly designed, there's good mission variation, nice selection of side objectives for each individual mission.

For me, the game lacks like four things - all of which I've introduced to my own game with mods:

* Dropping equipped weapons;
* Deploying with no weapons;
* Killing child soldiers for demon points;
* Bigger weather variation in both environments;

There's really no better game for me this generation. The game not only plays well, but it's in my favorite genre, my favorite series...

And it's a cross-generation title too.

Both of the two best Metal Gear games have a scene near the end where Liquid makes off with a Metal Gear near the end, which is not resolved within the game. Doesn't make either of them unfinished.

Sändersson;244840305 said:
Im curious how people interpret the quarantine scene. Im with you pretty much 100% especially the part about big boss being venoms demon. The mirror scene in the end fits perfectly into this narrative but I dont get why the horns flash in the quarantine scene where venom basicly just euthanizes infected soldiers. How does big boss fit into this scene? Also what about the part in the cut third chapter where venom sits in the helicopter and sees the demon from the reflection.

So Venom has Big Boss's personality and legend forced onto him. Throughout the game we see him torn between his own more peaceful nature, and Big Boss's more violent nature. The Demon form manifests when you do things that clashes with Venom's morals, but agrees more with the Big Boss persona. You get demon points for building a nuke, or for killing people you could have tranquilized or knocked out. Killing the infected soldiers on the quarantine platform was necessary. But it still likely was an act that Venom struggled with. Remember that Venom was originally a medic. Though killing these infected soldier was necessary, it is against the "do no harm" spirit of the Hippocratic Oath. It is an act that Venom probably could not have performed in his prior life, something he could only have done after having Big Boss, his demon, imposed on him.

That's how I read it. I'm less familiar with the chapter 3 stuff, so I don't know the details on when the horn shows up. But you could likely make a similar argument. Going after the kids was a necessary action, but one that likely clashed with Venom's ideals, as he knew that blood may well be spilled on this mission

kunonabi

For me, this is still the best game in the franchise. Story is there, intrigue is there, mystery is there, gameplay is at its finest, there's a lot of meat in the cassette tapes for those who want to delve into the lore, key outposts are amazingly designed, there's good mission variation, nice selection of side objectives for each individual mission.

For me, the game lacks like four things - all of which I've introduced to my own game with mods:

* Dropping equipped weapons;
* Deploying with no weapons;
* Killing child soldiers for demon points;
* Bigger weather variation in both environments;

There's really no better game for me this generation. The game not only plays well, but it's in my favorite genre, my favorite series...

And it's a cross-generation title too.

Yeah, I'm with you. I absolutely adore MGSV and it's just a ridiculously great package. For my money it's also an infinitely better sendoff for the franchise than MGS4 ever was.

Despite all the development woes it still feels like a more complete and finished product than BotW as far as I'm concerned.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I mean...Kojima somehow managed to make the player
the REAL Big Boss

One of my favorite 4th wall breaking moment in a mgs ever.

Whilst I'm aware characters were retconned in, one of the through themes of the game is recognising pivotal characters in the saga that had been 'forgotten': Skullface,
Venom Snake
, Quiet, and the most pivotal and easily forgotten of the entire series:
the Furtive Pygmy player

The fact the ending is essentially a
thank you for keeping the series going
makes Kojima plastering his name over the game to such a ridiculous degree beforehand seem like a knowing wink.

Both of the two best Metal Gear games have a scene near the end where Liquid makes off with a Metal Gear near the end, which is not resolved within the game. Doesn't make either of them unfinished.

So Venom has Big Boss's personality and legend forced onto him. Throughout the game we see him torn between his own more peaceful nature, and Big Boss's more violent nature. The Demon form manifests when you do things that clashes with Venom's morals, but agrees more with the Big Boss persona. You get demon points for building a nuke, or for killing people you could have tranquilized or knocked out. Killing the infected soldiers on the quarantine platform was necessary. But it still likely was an act that Venom struggled with. Remember that Venom was originally a medic. Though killing these infected soldier was necessary, it is against the "do no harm" spirit of the Hippocratic Oath. It is an act that Venom probably could not have performed in his prior life, something he could only have done after having Big Boss, his demon, imposed on him.

That's how I read it. I'm less familiar with the chapter 3 stuff, so I don't know the details on when the horn shows up. But you could likely make a similar argument. Going after the kids was a necessary action, but one that likely clashed with Venom's ideals, as he knew that blood may well be spilled on this mission

Seems plausible. If I remember correctly in the cut chapter 3 liquid's suit tears or something and he becomes infected. Venom and his soldiers decide to leave liquid behind (cant remember if rest of the children were left there also) with a pistol which has one bullet. Then they leave and bomb the island with napalm while venom watches his reflection on the chopper windows and sees the demon.

SomTervo

the whole
switcharoo
was pointless

i wanted to play as the
real
big boss

Big Boss is a meme

Doesn't matter whether you were "really" him or not

Eh. It was pretty much shown that he was turning his back on any institutions.

But yeah, it's only really in PW that we see him turn his back so hard, like an ultimate edgelord, that he basically becomes a terrorist.

Ratrat

Didn't you think you were playing as the real BB up until that point? If you did, what difference did it actually make?
No? It makes it glaringly obvious with the prologue. TBH, it was a bit of a mindfuck as it doesn't explain what the hell is going on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No? It makes it glaringly obvious with the prologue.

Does it? So you 100% knew what the twist was as you began playing? Probably didn't have the intended impact on you then. Damn shame.

I was lucky enough not to get spoiled and dumb enough to miss the clues. I thought the twist posed an interesting question about the series as a whole.

Your personal preferences aside, fans have
desperately wanted to play as OG Snake since MGS2 and have never really been given the opportunity. Even Old Snake isn't quite Apex Snake, is he?

Personality quirks aside, BB, Snake and Venom are nigh identical, at least in terms of gameplay. The twist is interesting because it poses the series-wide question: does it make a difference which one you play as when the real character (as acknowledged in the twist) is the player?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

This game really doesn't present any of these things as a conflict because Venom really doesn't show any conflict at all. Venom didn't know that he was a medic. And there's really no indication that BB would've done things differently, like shooting the children in the cage, finishing off Quiet, not grieving about having to kill his own men etc. the demon point system feels straight up as unfinished as the covenants in dark souls. Plus there's the fact that he's specifically part of BB's army, who by my knowledge, is already supposed to be considered evil by GZ.

Sky Chief

This game is fucking phenomenal. I've been playing a lot of BOTW lately and it's great but I keep comparing it to MGSV and realizing MGSV is better even if the game is unfinished and the open world a little bland. The gameplay is just so good!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And there's really no indication that BB would've done things differently, like shooting the children in the cage, finishing off Quiet, not grieving about having to kill his own men etc.

Not sure I agree there. Couple of things that spring to mind:

Upon learning that Paz and Chico had been kidnapped in GZ, BB's first thought without even a flicker of emotion is that the mission is a wetwork, not a rescue; i.e he has no issues with whacking a kid he knows extremely well.

He also has no problem using a hospital full of innocent people as a meat shield, and wipe his "best soldier's" life away and use him as a decoy.

I think those two/three things speak volumes about the differences.

Neith

Banned
This game is fucking phenomenal. I've been playing a lot of BOTW lately and it's great but I keep comparing it to MGSV and realizing MGSV is better even if the game is unfinished and the open world a little bland. The gameplay is just so good!

I feel like these are consistently the two most overrated series' ever made. I love parts of them both, Zelda more, but yeah I think so.

The twist would have been good had the game built up to it. I know there's subtle things like
The Boss AI's "no, it's not you." As an aside, not even as a machine can she be fooled. The Boss is great.
but it's just thrown in there at the end with no justification as you replay the first mission again.

Crossing Eden

Upon learning that Paz and Chico had been kidnapped in GZ, BB's first thought without even a flicker of emotion is that the mission is a wetwork, not a rescue; i.e he's happy to whack a kid he knows extremely well.

He also has no problem using a hospital full of innocent people as a meat shield, and wipe his "best soldier's" life away and use him as a decoy.

You're off the mark, he explicitly asks if he should kill Paz, the adult spy who looks like a child, not Chico. He wasn't aware that Paz was even alive until he was on the mission so he didn't set out with the express goal of killing anyone. And it wasn't his idea to use the medic

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The twist would have been good had the game built up to it. I know there's subtle things like
The Boss AI's "no, it's not you." As an aside, not even as a machine can she be fooled. The Boss is great.
but it's just thrown in there at the end with no justification as you replay the first mission again.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with it; it feels somewhat unearned. I give Kojima the benefit of the doubt on that one though. I imagine that's down to the sudden change in the production schedule.

horkrux

Upon learning that Paz and Chico had been kidnapped in GZ, BB's first thought without even a flicker of emotion is that the mission is a wetwork, not a rescue; i.e he has no issues with whacking a kid he knows extremely well.

He would have also been more likely to build a nuke, use Sahelanthropus as more than just a 'trophy', and put those children to work on MB (I think no one really expects him to straight up murder them in that cage lol).
At first I was also opposed to the idea that Venom really acts differently, but he really kind of does.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough, though "way off"?

I take it you're completely okay with that mission in Peace Walker then? ;P

He wasn't aware that Paz was even alive until he was on the mission so he didn't set out with the express goal of killing anyone.

I didn't say that. I said his first thought was to whack her, not that he planned to beforehand.

And it wasn't his idea to use the medic

No, but he tellingly didn't object to the plan in any way shape or form, and uses a hospital full of people as a meat-shield without hesitation.

Crossing Eden

Fair enough, though "way off"?

I take it you're completely okay with that mission in Peace Walker then? ;P
Which one?

I didn't say that. I said his first thought was to whack her, not that he planned to beforehand.
I mean yea, because she's a spy, who's also an adult. That isn't inherently an evil thing especially since he thought he killed her in self defense.

No, but he tellingly didn't object to the plan in any way shape or form, and uses a hospital full of people as a meat-shield without hesitation.
I don't think that was his intention as XOF attacked before they finished implanting his memories in Venom. He was complicit but again, not fully evil or very different from Venom.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I mean yea, because she's a spy, who's also an adult. That isn't inherently an evil thing especially since he thought he killed her in self defense.

It's telling that was his initial response.

BB's journey to becoming a 'demon' happened prior to the game. GZ and TPP show the results.

I don't think that was his intention as XOF attacked before they finished implanting his memories in Venom. He was complicit but again, not fully evil or very different from Venom.

Venom has explicit doubts about every act of violence in TPP. BB does not have any doubts about anything.

Crossing Eden

It's telling that was his initial response.

BB's journey to becoming a 'demon' happened prior to the game. GZ and TPP show the results.
I just don't think that he is considering who she's working for, the things she's done, and what she knows. Of all the people where it would be justified for BB to kill them, she's certainly one of them.

Venom has explicit doubts about every act of violence in TPP. BB does not have any doubts about anything.
This depends on the player tho. Both Big Boss in PW and Venom both have issues with straight up murdering people. If anything this really sells just how poorly the BB is evil thing was handled over the course of three games.

I must have missed something, because I'm certain that Big Boss was in a coma when the decision to make Venom was made, and when he woke up, Venom was already there.

Why do people talk like that's all on Big Boss when they were past the point-of-no-return when he woke up? He wasn't even happy with the plan, Ocelot had to convince him that the Medic would have wanted to do it.

I must have missed something, because I'm certain that Big Boss was in a coma when the decision to make Venom was made, and when he woke up, Venom was already there.

Why do people talk like that's all on Big Boss when they were past the point-of-no-return when he woke up? He wasn't even happy with the plan, Ocelot had to convince him that the Medic would have wanted to do it.

The cassette tapes at the end verify that, yeah. Venom was basically a joint creation of Zero/Miller/Ocelot.

Crossing Eden

Because the fall of Big Boss was handled so horribly that they really need a reason to describe exactly how he becomes the guy who becomes the big bad of the series despite for three games in a row being portrayed as a good samaritan because MG's gameplay first and foremost rewards nonviolence.

Because the fall of Big Boss was handled so horribly that they really need a reason to describe exactly how he becomes the guy who becomes the big bad of the series despite for three games in a row being portrayed as a good samaritan because MG's gameplay first and foremost rewards nonviolence.

Not just three games, if Big Boss was supposed to be such a horrible person then the games shouldn't have said you've "matched up to him" (got his rank) by finishing your missions while, on top of everything else, minimizing casualties.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't think that he is considering who she's working for, the things she's done, and what she knows. Of all the people where it would be justified for BB to kill them, she's certainly one of them.

I think it highlights a difference between Venom and BB, is the point. I don't think Venom would go straight for the throat, regardless of what had been done to him or his men by his target.

Case in point: Huey.

This depends on the player tho. Both Big Boss in PW and Venom both have issues with straight up murdering people.

At the end of PW, BB accepts his role as a 'demon'. At the start of GZ, an assassination mission is just business as usual.

A big reason for why I haven't played the game yet. I know enough about what happens to kind of be weary of playing the game. Yet I always watch the trailers and hear the music that played like "The Man Who Sold The World" and "Quiet's Theme". It's a very odd relationship.

Guess I just keep hoping that a Chapter 3 emerges even though there is absolutely no chance of it happening.

Thanks for hyping me up for nothing Batzi.

A big reason for why I haven't played the game yet. I know enough about what happens to kind of be weary of playing the game. Yet I always watch the trailers and hear the music that played like "The Man Who Sold The World" and "Quiet's Theme". It's a very odd relationship.

Guess I just keep hoping that a Chapter 3 emerges even though there is absolutely no chance of it happening.

Thanks for hyping me up for nothing Batzi.

The chapter 3 stuff is just a nonsense joke.

People may not be satisfied with the story in MGSV, but there's nothing unfinished about the tale. All the main narrative beats are wrapped up by the end. The only small part of the story that isn't finished is the Eli stuff. Even then, that stuff is not important in the grand scheme of things, and it's believed now that stuff was canceled post release DLC. It's very unlikely it was supposed to be in the main game.

There's really not much of an argument to this whole "MGSV was unfinished" stuff. There are small parts of the game at the end which feel mashed together or underdeveloped, but this idea that an entire chunk of the game is missing is just crazy.

The chapter 3 stuff is just a nonsense joke.

People may not be satisfied with the story in MGSV, but there's nothing unfinished about the tale. All the main narrative beats are wrapped up by the end. The only small part of the story that isn't finished is the Eli stuff. Even then, that stuff is not important in the grand scheme of things, and it's believed now that stuff was canceled post release DLC. It's very unlikely it was supposed to be in the main game.

There's really not much of an argument to this whole "MGSV was unfinished" stuff. There are small parts of the game at the end which feel mashed together or underdeveloped, but this idea that an entire chunk of the game is missing is just crazy.

Well, I preface this clarifying that we probably agree on most of the story. I tend to rather borderline love MGS V and I actually think Skull Face and his weird language machinations are a bit brilliant in terms of setting the stage for the rest of the series. So, regardless of Chapter 2, I was satisfied by Chapter 1.

But when such a main part of Chapter 1 is the parasite and the metal gear, and then Eli steals both and just disappears, I would be hard pressed to accept those as "small parts." They're arguably the biggest part of why Diamond Dogs truly needs to stop Skull Face :p

I'd say that's a pretty massive thing to even bother to introduce that way but then leave 'concluded' in such a sudden scene with seemingly unphased character, behaviour inconsistent with Chapter 1 -- especially when unfinished game assets point to that not being the intended conclusion and then being disposed by Venom.

Granted, I think MGS V stands alone as GZ + TPP Chapter 1. I think Chapter 2 can work in a Peace Walker Chapter 5/epilogue sense rather than another equal chapter. Were MGS V just GZ and Chapter 1, I'd feel satisfied in its conclusion.

But given the importance of the last parasite vial and metal gear, I'd still have to accept any argument that says those are pretty massive things to introduce so suddenly during an epilogue and not pursue beyond that.

Top Bottom