• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering MGSV and getting sad part XI: audience robbed of revenge

zoukka

To the games defence, the subtitle "The Phantom Pain" is probably one of the most meta things in the universe.

How it applies to the plot, the game itself, what's missing, and the fanbase is amazing.

Holy shit it all makes sense now.

V is an unnecessary MG title, even for an alternative game in the series (that's what it is) and it's also an anathema, both to its own series and creators.

MGSV is one of my favorite MGS games and Kojima not doing the predictable story of big boss went villain because he is recruiting children and that stuff is why I love the game.

Edit: Kojima's advice to the director of the MGS movie is "Betray your audience's expectations", that said it all.

THEaaron

Kojima was praised for his meta stuff all the time so that he brought the most meta mgs that he could pull.

As for myself, I loved the meta narrative and it tops even mgs2 in its ideas. The whole theme and story developments are there, but they don't exist to slap everything in your face. You are actually part of the story because the game treats you like the phantom that Venom really is. I am a big fan of alternative approaches to interactive media and my most beloved narratives are those, that tackle my thoughts way after consuming the medium.

I dont want to say that mgsv is in fact awesome, because everyone has his own demands getting fun out of something. But given the whole mg universe and how you are wrapped inside that little story that was the start of the whole downfall afterwards entertained me tremendously.

The revenge, the phantom pain, the "full circle".. Everything is absolutely there, but it is not presented in a way that pleases the demands of every gamer.

Actually, who thinks BB and others didnt become demons in the process of mgsv has actually failed how things went down.

I think that Kojima started his idea of merging movies with games and how the universes are endless in its own. MGSV is a little but important gear in the whole MG universe and the narrative put you as an observer and victim of the plot to tell a bit of a huge universe.

I will not claim that everyone has to enjoy that. But as a huge fan of the universe, I was extremely pleased how this part of MG was shown to me.

The missing end that is often brought up is also a thing that just clashes with the expectations of people. It is a bridge to things that happen in MG1 and it really worked for me.

But in reality, I really can understand if someone was let down by this approach and expected MGSV to be totally different.

xviper

when you expect a 8 hours of cutscenes and amazing story, you're gonna be disappointed as fuck

but when you expect an amazing new game, you will enjoy the fuck out of this masterpiece

when i played Peace walker, i couldn't stand it as it wasn't MGS, it was boring and cound't keep playing, then i read that The phantom Pain is like Peace Walker, so i expected something different from the mainline MGS games which is exactly what we got

what i didn't expect that disappointed me in MGS V is the lack of cutscenes, no bosses aside from Quiet and sahalantherpus, no big buildings to enter and have a whole quest in a huge building, repetitive quests and empty world

about 5 hours in i knew this isn't an MGS game so i played it as a new ip, same thing with Breath of the wild

play MGS V as a new ip and see how amazing it is, to this day, nothing is close of how good the gameplay is, the controls are perfection, building your base is awesome and makes you be careful on who to kill and who to not so you can bring them to your base and upgrade it, the camera movement during cutscenes never cut, just 1 shot, i wish more games did that, the cutscenes were well performed, their only flaw is that they had too much slow motion

it's sad to see that when someone talks about MGS V, they only talk about the single player, the game had 3 modes, single player, Multiplayer and infiltration

the MP was awesome but too short on content, it was weird because the single player is huge on content

infiltration is fun but you won't be playing it for that long, it's like Soulsborne X MGS

overall, to me, MGS V is a masterpiece, but sadly, an unfinished masterpiece

MGS V is a very good game, but its open world is dead and devoid of both meaning and curiosity. Which is a shame. Even Peace Walker had fun and cool stuff to find as you played the game. MGS V has jack shit. It also pushes too much busywork onto the player. And in the grand scheme of things, I think Splinter Cell: Blacklist was a better game.

when you expect a 8 hours of cutscenes and amazing story, you're gonna be disappointed as fuck
Interesting thing is, game has like 4 hours or something of cutscenes probably. I added up the Mother Base cutscenes alone at a bit over 2 hours. It's even got the longest 'movie version' video on Youtube when you throw in all the 'codecs/tapes,' something like 8-9 hours long.

Though it never really feels like it because unlike the other games where the scenes/arcs follow an arc, in V they sort of feel like Bloomberg news videos, 'Live from Mother Base,' just random news events tagged under Diamond Dogs. Kind of cool for the open world game/private army theme/atmosphere but pretty poor at building a story arc.

Keym

Maybe the whole point is that revenge leaves you unfulfilled and hollow inside. Just like the game made you feel.

To the games defence, the subtitle "The Phantom Pain" is probably one of the most meta things in the universe.

How it applies to the plot, the game itself, what's missing, and the fanbase is amazing.

One of the reasons i'm okay this game turned out the way it did.

Most Meta MGS is best MGS. In the Top V of my MGS games

LeleSocho

Banned
I'll be honest, i don't get why people are still so worked up on this game...

MGS is one of my favorite series ever so i understand some of the feelings around here but we should have been well prepared on the fact that the game would have been botched one way or another... what was it? 6 months before launch that we had the news that Kojima was being obstructed in completing the game?

In the end we got a game that story wise is nowhere near the standards of the series but to compensate it has the best gameplay of any games that i've ever played in my life.

Am i disappointed on how the story was/wasn't told? Yes but i got over it because i knew well ahead of the time that the game entered development inferno way before its completion.

TL;DR Let it go.

Maybe the whole point is that revenge leaves you unfulfilled and hollow inside. Just like the game made you feel.
Or even when
Quiet left for good. I felt a phantom pain for a couple months after that, a phantom pain where my sniper used to be.

Any bad thought I had of her design:I felt ashamed for my words and deeds. I just wanted my sniper back.

Felt like purposeful my Kojima. 'You guys hate Quiet's design? How about after 50+ hours of getting used to your sniper, I take her away! Give you another phantom pain, and make you ashamed for your words and deeds" :p

Adding her back was good gameplay patch much later on, but was pretty good move for her to leave.

Game gave you phantom pain about:
- Kojima leaving MGS;
- Chapter 2 being unfinished or no Mission 51;
- Venom not being Naked Snake;
- Quiet leaving;
- heck even no Hayter as Snake or Keaton as Ocelot;
- and then obviously the arm thing being the only thing not meta

Chapter 2 was basically a never ending feeling of phantom pain lol.

Robbed feels a bit strong wording for a game that gave me 200 hours of fun, with completely perfect controls, missions, AI and mechanics. I mean the game would still be in my top five of this gen.

On the other hand, I know what you're saying. The game was VERY different to what we thought we were getting. And the vast majority of story was given away in Kojima's trailers. But I've learnt to appreciate what we did get.

horkrux

Man.. sometimes it's good to skip all the pre-release marketing and just jump in when it's released. While people were still bitching on about that trailer, I could just enjoy the game.
The game's narrative was fulfilling for me. It made a point to create a contrast between Venom and Big Boss and it worked out well. The revenge part certainly fell short, but I think that was the point.

HeelPower

Potential to be an industry changer. Just really incredible stuff.

Its still one of a hell an awesome experience ,despite Konami's vicious attack on the team during the final year.

Jawmuncher

After MGS4, MGSV actually restored my faith in the franchise even with its weak story. I will agree that the whole "missing link" advertising should've been dropped though. Since all things considered, story wise it's a really unneeded game.

Heh.

"I almost can feel it. The plot isn't really there!

It's painful!"

Honestly the story sucks but what baffles me is everyone saying the gameplay is perfect or at the very least makes up for the god awful and unfinished story.

I thought the gameplay was deeply flawed. Almost every single scenario can be solved by doing the same things over and over again (snipe enemies from afar, move in and do whatever you need to do) and the open world was completely pointless and actually hurts the overall structure of the gameplay because you end up going to the same locations over and over again fighting the same enemies over and over again making it excessively repetitive. On top of that the open world is completely empty with only enemy bases and random wildlife spread across the various empty looking zones. If this game had not tried to force an open world into its gameplay you wouldn't have such obvious problems. It's the same problem that I had with FF15, open worlds are hard to do right and when they are empty and meaningless outside of just showcasing how BIG you make your world then it becomes increasingly pointless.

What really screws up the gameplay though are the boss battles. A few are okay but most are an exercise in frustration either for being mind numbing easy or stupidly hard. None of them are ever actually fun and they ALL show just how poorly the actual gameplay holds up when you are put into a direct scenario against a boss compared to the open world missions that the gameplay was designed around.

MGSV is not a good game, I think the praise it gets is only because we don't have anything better to compare it to. It certainly has a lot of things to like about it but I think if Kojima has gotten the time and resources to make the game he wanted to make we wouldn't have ended up with anything like this. It screams about how rushed out it was not just from the story but from the repeating missions to the same areas being used over and over again.

wilsonda

They missed such a golden opportunity.

All they had to do was take the premise - an injured Big Boss (scarred physically and mentally) seeking revenge - and that would have been enough. Just have him doing a series of messed up acts with a single-minded focus on vengeance. Acts that irrevocably damage any idea of him being a hero.

But instead he's this placid guy. You hire this actor who could pull off a 'should he be doing this' torture scene, but make him the dude stopping the torture. What?

I think Kojima grew to like Big Boss too much to give him the 'heel turn' he deserved.

This... the trailer implied some dark stuff (killing children) but in game we get the exact opposite. The main character was just a 0, no excitement or energy

ActWan

Or even when
Quiet left for good. I felt a phantom pain for a couple months after that, a phantom pain where my sniper used to be.

Any bad thought I had of her design:I felt ashamed for my words and deeds. I just wanted my sniper back.

Felt like purposeful my Kojima. 'You guys hate Quiet's design? How about after 50+ hours of getting used to your sniper, I take her away! Give you another phantom pain, and make you ashamed for your words and deeds" :p

Adding her back was good gameplay patch much later on, but was pretty good move for her to leave.

Yeah, it was pretty great how this sentence from Koji can get an entirely different meaning than what most are thinking.

drabnon

So regarding the story, on the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts, Jeff theorized that
The game is called Metal Gear Solid V rather than 5 (unlike the rest of the series which has not used Roman numerals) because the whole game is a side story about a different character. He said that it is basically a fake sequel, but it's only cool if Kojima then gets to make the real MGS5 and clearly things did not pan out that way.

I think the game is extremely fun to play. I did almost every single side op, even though they were so repetitive. But my favorite game in the series is still MGS3.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There was an MGS trailer that was deliberately misleading?!

tumblr_mfas1hwhPn1ri27eoo1_500.gif

antitrop

I couldn't believe how much nothing the cutscenes were. Fucking nothing happens in them, it was so strange. Some of the most pointlessly strange and uninteresting cutscenes I've ever seen in a game.

ActWan

So regarding the story, on the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts, Jeff theorized that
The game is called Metal Gear Solid V rather than 5 (unlike the rest of the series which has not used Roman numerals) because the whole game is a side story about a different character. He said that it is basically a fake sequel, but it's only cool if Kojima then gets to make the real MGS5 and clearly things did not pan out that way.

That's exactly what I thought after finishing the game!
MGS Venom. V has come to. V != 5

I couldn't believe how much nothing the cutscenes were. Fucking nothing happens in them, it was so strange. Some of the most pointlessly strange and uninteresting cutscenes I've ever seen in a game.

This is how i felt about the game as a whole, really. The biggest case of "Great mechanics but I'M SO BORED" I've personally ever experienced. 15 hours in, I was already beyond disappointed at how the story was progressing and being presented, but even on the scenario design/locations/boss encounter side of it I was just completely unimpressed. Let's not even talk about Mother Base jesus christ

Metal Gear Solid stops at 3 in my mind. I'm ok with that moving forward.

MGSV is not a good game, I think the praise it gets is only because we don't have anything better to compare it to.

Not sure what you mean? There are tons of games to compare it with. It is an action game with an emphasis on stealth and shooting. We've had hundreds of games like that. Despite MGSV being in a crowded market, many consider it a masterpiece in gameplay. Heck, many have said it was almost the greatest game of all time, but various flaws like the story and the structure of chapter 2 weigh it down.

xviper

Interesting thing is, game has like 4 hours or something of cutscenes probably. I added up the Mother Base cutscenes alone at a bit over 2 hours. It's even got the longest 'movie version' video on Youtube when you throw in all the 'codecs/tapes,' something like 8-9 hours long.

Though it never really feels like it because unlike the other games where the scenes/arcs follow an arc, in V they sort of feel like Bloomberg news videos, 'Live from Mother Base,' just random news events tagged under Diamond Dogs. Kind of cool for the open world game/private army theme/atmosphere but pretty poor at building a story arc.

exactly, the cutscenes are random and sometimes don't add something valuable to the story

no it's not 8-9 Hours, MGS 4 without the codec, is 8 hours of cutscenes for a 16 hours game

MGS V cutscenes without the tapes are around 4 hours for a 50 hours game

sotojuan

After some thinking, I actually don't think MGSV had great gameplay. Great controls and mechanics? Sure. But this is a stealth game right? Then why is it open world? It's way too easy to just do a 180 and run away from command posts or general area while shooting, getting on your horse, and losing the enemies.

Compare that to MGS2 - clearing rooms on high difficulties was (at least for me) brutal and required creativity. There was no easy way out.

Not sure what you mean? There are tons of games to compare it with. It is an action game with an emphasis on stealth and shooting. We've had hundreds of games like that. Despite MGSV being in a crowded market, many consider it a masterpiece in gameplay. Heck, many have said it was almost the greatest game of all time, but various flaws like the story and the structure of chapter 2 weigh it down.
I mean a open world stealth game, specifically in this generation.

I'm playing through it for the first time and even being aware the game was incomplete prior to playing it, I'm just really not enjoying it. I'm at 90% completion right now, very close to the end, and it just feels very lacking overall.

While the game controls very fluidly, that's really it as far as my compliments for it go. You've a lot of freedom, but there's really not much variation in the missions to accommodate this. The missions are incredibly repetitive and largely forgettable (especially the side operations) except for a very select few. The fact that playing missions at a higher difficulty or with different starting options (obviously you can manually do that yourself, but just making it an option isn't too much to ask when it's already there) is limited to a select few (and that playing them is required) is silly. The open world is very bland and traversing it gets very repetitive, very quickly, and traversing it is more of a significant annoyance than a genuinely enjoyable part of the game; this isn't very good when a significant amount of hours are simply spent going to and from various points on the map.

Maybe if I'd played the main missions on their own and largely ignored the side operations (instead of employing a very consistent strategy of "complete a main mission, complete all the new side operations, complete the next main mission, etc.") it'd seem less flawed just by nature of not doing as much in the game, but I don't think that should be required. I don't think 'good gameplay' is apt, as while the mechanics are fun and the controls sublime, there's nothing interesting to do with them thanks to bland missions, an open world which is lacking, and few interesting locales. In comparison to the more puzzle-like gameplay of the MGS1 to MGS3, or even Peace Walker, it's simply not as fun or nearly as tight.

Raiden

Banned
Its one of the greatest and saddest games i have played. With more time it could probably be the best in the franchise. Gameplay feels smooth as fuck.

But the thing that bothered me the most was mute Snake. I mean why get Sutherland if he only has like two pages of dialogue in the game.

Kojima is a huge Mad Max fan, and of all MGS V's design choices, Venom Snake demonstrates this the most comprehensively. That Venom barely speaks was driven entirely by the fact Kojima wanted him to be more like Max. If you look at the Mad Max series, they're quite plot-light, and so MGS V ended up similarly plot-light in that it is extended gameplay sequences peppered with brief spurts of story.

Not to mention the fact George Miller recast Max around the same period Kojima recast Snake.

SeppOCE

The gameplay in mgs V is still phenomonal for a 3rd person shooter and most people who say otherwise today thought so too when the game came out. The story blew but this is easily one of the best 3rd person shooters ever made in terms of gameplay.

Also Kojima somewhat delivered on that missing link horseshit. There were two big bosses all along yay! The story sucked man :(

Is today "Let's Remember Disappointing/Underwhelming Games Day" or something? I woke up and saw both this thread and that the Last Guardian thread.

But yeah, while I really liked the feeling of controlling Snake, everything else about MGSV left a lot to be desired. Funky mission structure, empty world, the boring characters and motherbase management, the Kojima-doesn't-really-give-a-fuck-anymore-does-he story and twist, meh villains.

I'm kind of surprised people still get disappointed by Kojima. He's a pretty decent director when they rein him in but for the most part he's a master of writing checks his games can't cash. He hasn't made a single game in the past decade that isn't massively disappointing in some way.

There was an MGS trailer that was deliberately misleading?!

Yep, that too. It's like people missed MGS2's release and never even read about it.

Not going for revenge is the point of the game. Big Boss is a piece of shit. He uses child soldiers and nukes, as shown by Peace Walker. Venom is better than that. He spares Quiet. He spares POS Huey. He tries to give child soldiers a violence-less life. He strives for worldwide nuclear disarmament. The ending shows that he eventually gives in to his demon and becomes Big Boss. Many people interpret Big Boss saying that Venom is Big Boss as an acknowledgement of the player's skill. "The player is big boss just like Venom is". But this is a fundamental misreading of the game. Big Boss is Venom's demon. He represents the worst part of Venom. Throughout the ga Venom manages to overcome this dark side of himself and be better. But in the end he succumbs and completely becomes Big Boss (as represented by the smashing of the mirror)

Likewise, Big Boss is the demon of the loser fat nerd (or effeminate Raiden) player who plays these games. Just like a child soldier playing games since you were a kid has made you think that someone like Peace Walker Big Boss is a hero. But he is fucking scum. And by emphasizing by him you are no better. MGSV is meant to contrast good guy (initially) Venom (and Solid Snake and MGS2 Raiden) with piece of shit Big Boss and piece of shit player who empathizes with real Big Boss. 1984 Venom is thrice the man you are.

I'm drunk, so maybe I can't express myself in a way that's understandable, but this makes perfect sense to me even when I'm sober

Im curious how people interpret the quarantine scene. Im with you pretty much 100% especially the part about big boss being venoms demon. The mirror scene in the end fits perfectly into this narrative but I dont get why the horns flash in the quarantine scene where venom basicly just euthanizes infected soldiers. How does big boss fit into this scene? Also what about the part in the cut third chapter where venom sits in the helicopter and sees the demon from the reflection.

THEaaron

Striving for power and perpetuating the war and race is what led to the death of those soldiers. And even Venom took part in it.

Anung

Un Rama

Yep. And if it had anything of interest going on it was in the trailer.

Hugely disappointing game.

I mean a open world stealth game, specifically in this generation.

I'm still not really seeing the difference. Far Cry 3 and 4 are technically open world stealth games as well. The "open world" term feels pretty loose when it comes to MGSV, all of the main missions take place in a closed off environment.

Sändersson;244840305 said:
Im curious how people interpret the quarantine scene. Im with you pretty much 100% especially the part about big boss being venoms demon. The mirror scene in the end fits perfectly into this narrative but I dont get why the horns flash in the quarantine scene where venom basicly just euthanizes infected soldiers. How does big boss fit into this scene? Also what about the part in the cut third chapter where venom sits in the helicopter and sees the demon from the reflection.
I never saw the demon stuff as Venom trying not to become Big Boss. I always saw the demon stuff as regret. When Venom Snake must kill his own soldiers in the Quarantine chapter, he feels like absolute shit. He sees himself as an evil man. He took in these soldiers, failed to protect them, and is now executing them without giving them any choice at all. He can't help but feel like a terrible person after that event. The same thing happens at the very end of the game. He sees himself as a demon in his decision to follow Big Boss. He probably did a bunch of stuff that he regrets under Big Boss's orders. Instead of building a better future, he feels that he did the opposite.

This also fits with the demon point system in the game. If you constantly murder people or build a nuke. Venom will be turn into "demon snake" and will permanently have a giant horn and be coated in blood. The character of Venom Snake sees himself as an evil man for the actions he commits, despite the fact that it was all in the player's hands. That's just my interpretation of the demon stuff. I don't see it as the game passing judgement and saying "this character is evil" or something. It's more to do with the internal struggle happening within Venom Snake's mind.

After some thinking, I actually don't think MGSV had great gameplay. Great controls and mechanics? Sure. But this is a stealth game right? Then why is it open world? It's way too easy to just do a 180 and run away from command posts or general area while shooting, getting on your horse, and losing the enemies.

Compare that to MGS2 - clearing rooms on high difficulties was (at least for me) brutal and required creativity. There was no easy way out.

That's the issue. The open world is thoroughly bland, and rather than the deliberately-designed forts and towns that Far Cry 3/4 and jeez, even ASSASSIN'S CREED has at times, the outposts feel like a random smattering of tents and sandbags. There is nothing visually interesting about them, and little point to doing anything but sticking to the perimeter and crawling around them. And yet, the game relies on them for around 3/4 of its missions. The best parts about stealth games, to me, are traversal and finding clever routes. MGSV technically gives you 360 degree approach, but most of the approaches are equally bland or simply inefficient. The only ones that defy this are, unsurprisingly, the areas that are actually designed around specific missions (Mfinda Oilfield, Afghanistan Base Camp, OKB Zero) and so have a variety of routes that will make the mission play out differently. But those make up the clear minority of the game's content, so you're stuck crawling around the same bland open world filler waiting for some guy to wander off so you can fulton him.

You feel it too, don't you?

At least McDonald's Miller is insanely quotable even tho he didn't have that many lines in GZ+PP. Minus tapes I suppose.

I'm in the process of replaying Metal Gear specifically to go through V for the first time. I know at least some of the twists in it already, so it's more to just finally see it through.

Threads like this give me real pause as to whether I should even bother. It seems like a...divisive game to say the least.

But I also like 4 the best which seems to be an equally touchy subject, soooooo maybe I'll like V. Other than the broad strokes and the general unhappiness with it here, I'm unsure what V is actually like to play.
It's the best MGS game and plays incredibly well. I don't care about the bad storyline though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great game, still find it hilarious how misunderstood it is.

I mean how many clues did Kojima need to put in there to make his point about the futility of revenge in particular and warfare in general?

You feel it too, don't you?

At least McDonald's Miller is insanely quotable even tho he didn't have that many lines in GZ+PP. Minus tapes I suppose.

The secret war between McDonald's Miller and Hamburglar rages on.

"You've been in line for quite some time. Yes, yes, I know. You would like to know how long.

I'm afraid it's been 9 minutes."

Black Duke

Neo Member
I mean...Kojima somehow managed to make the player
the REAL Big Boss

One of my favorite 4th wall breaking moment in a mgs ever.

horkrux

The secret war between McDonald's Miller and Hamburglar rages on.

"You've been in line for quite some time. Yes, yes, I know. You would like to know how long.

I'm afraid it's been 9 minutes."

"Nine years ago, I thought everything had been taken from me. But now, I really have lost it all. No meat, and we're even out of pickles."

Top Bottom