• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering our edgy days

Papercut by Linkin Park used to be one of my favorite songs back when I was 12. The edge.

To be fair, during that time I also listened to a lot of great bands that have stuck with me, like Iron Maiden and The Offspring.

Hybrid Theory is also a secret guilty pleasure of mine.

Farsi

I still am The Edge.
I'm co-founder of The Edge Zone®

I've been telling my parents it wasn't a fad for 10 years now.

Nydius

Everyone listing Korn and Linkin Park and Evanescence
- Y NO DISTURBED? -
as "edgy" and I just thought of them as rock.

I don't even know what would have been edgy for me. I guess it would have been the thrash metal of the day because they were all "fuck that glam hair rock", which I suppose was edgy at the time.

Oh hell now I just feel old.

Order

Go ahead and try to see through me
Do it if you dare (dare!)
One step forward, two steps back
I'm here (One step forward, two steps back)
Do it... do it... do it... DO IT!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Did you run into the night like this too?

DismalThoughtfulFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

This is damaging me

My "edgy" days were about 8 years ago, when I read The God Delusion and began to identify as an atheist. I was on-board with Hitchens' anti-theist rhetoric, and saw those who were religious as ignorant and needing to be reformed, or however you want to frame it. I was never "militant" and let people go about their own beliefs, but I internally (unfairly) judged a lot of people back then.

Essentially, I took in almost everything put out by these three:

Thankfully, I've grown since then and have a much greater understanding of the world than I did when I was so "free-thinking." I did learn a lot during the phase, but I am glad it was just that.

Oh, just remembered: I also liked (and still kinda enjoy) Coming Undone by Korn and Down with the Sickness by Disturbed. I'd attribute the latter to the Dawn of the Dead remake though.

I never had an edgy phase but I do remember thinking I was some sort of woke religious mythology expert after playing Xenogears. It's a miracle I had any friends at all in middle school.

Not that this is that edgy, but back in the warcraft 3 online games my Online screen name was "X-Chaos" ugh, I still shudder thinking about what a lamo I was

Rayis

I don't think I ever had an edgy phase to be quite honest, though maybe my dismissal towards edgy things could be considered edgy in and of itself.

I've never been "edgy", I think. The closest I came to, was when I was 14-ish. I'd only listen to metal and dismissed every other genre (with the odd exception of 80s new wave).

The older I got the more my metal became extreme... but at the same time I broadened my horizon and started to listen to other genres (90s hip hop, psychobilly, swing, jazz manouche, psytrance, goth rock, synthwave and even some overproduced kpop). It took me a while to realize that variety is more stimulating... (with that said, metal still represents 75% of what I listen to... essentially black, death, thrash and doom).

Other than that, I always defended colorful games and always admitted I played with action figures up to the age of 15 (I stopped because my 11 years old brother thought it was childish... it's just role-playing, but whatever)... so yeah, not much of an edgelord...

edit: I've been using the username BlackRainbow for ages. People who are close to me agree that it suits my personality well. But yeah, kinda edgy (I used it since before Manson's holywood album)

Myriadis

I was never into edgy music but I used to be super contrarian in a way that, in retrospect, was so overwealmingly cringe.

Kinda like this, though I never was aggressive in that. Just kept the thoughts to myself.

i was all in on tool for a few years back in the day
But Tool is legit great to this day.

Is Elliott Smith edgy?
No but he's awesome.

I have no problems going back to emo music. It's some kind of fun guilty pleasure for me and there are quite a few good songs in there, especially the ones that have some math rock mixed in.
Also midwest emo exists to this day and has some excellent bands under its wing.

Apt101

I was heavy into Rage and any irreverent hip hop in high school, thought I knew everything about the world and what was wrong with it, and my lord was I insufferable.

I was worse in my first few years of college because I went to a few university classes and thought I was educated. I've gone back and revisited things I posted on the Internet when I was 19-20 and ugh. Someone should have revoked my Internet privileges. My username on one forum was God Isn't Real. Sigh.

Used to wear a spiked dog collar and thought Linkin Park was for cunts that knew nothing.

I don't wear the dog collar anymore.

I'll admit I never completely grew out of my edgelord phase, but Jesus fuck I was terrible (I actually wrote a song when I was 14 that had the line "I try to slit my wrists, but I can't").

However, Hybrid Theory is still a masterpiece, early Trivium is incredible, Sasuke is the man, and no one can convince me otherwise.

I used to be active on /b/ when it was good.

/b/ was never good

Glad I grew out of that before it just became the launching point of the fourth reich :p

Media

My edge years were in my teens during the rise of grunge, and y all are making me feel old.

I also wore a long black leather trench coat to school everyday. In the desert. With a flannel and ripped jeans. I was the crazy girl.

Columbine made it awkward

Erv

My edge years were in my teens during the rise of grunge, and y all are making me feel old.

I also wore a long black leather trench coat to school everyday. In the desert. With a flannel and ripped jeans. I was the crazy girl.

Columbine should have made you stop wearing it

Eh it made playing video games awkward, too. We probably all felt some weird heat from that one.

Toparaman

Banned
Papercut by Linkin Park used to be one of my favorite songs back when I was 12. The edge.

To be fair, during that time I also listened to a lot of great bands that have stuck with me, like Iron Maiden and The Offspring.

Hybrid Theory is also a secret guilty pleasure of mine.

Everyone likes Hybrid Theory. There's just some good tunes on there. It's catchy angst, not dudes whining.

This has reminded me that my best friend went out of her way in high school to cultivate the rumor that she was a witch. Wore all black, neck choker, etc.

She hissed at the popular girls once.

Dear lord that music.
I probably heard worse but i can't come up with anything right now.

What does "edgy" mean in this context?

Edit: Oh, edgy means you were a normal teenager? And now we're all grown up, right? Laughing about our former self?

RM8

I was never an angsty teenager, but I indeed went through a "the fact that I'm an atheist is relevant" phase. I quickly outgrew that because atheist online communities are pure crap. I was never really upfront about atheism, though.

Pyccko

I painted my nails a few times and I bought a shirt from Hot Topic once. I think that's it.

I spent most of my teenage years skateboarding and drinking blue pepsi. No time for edginess when you're hopped up on that sweet azure ambrosia.

magnetic

(My avatar is from Scared Stiff, a super fun and lighthearted pinball, just for context. I'm just now realizing it looks pretty goth too.)

I drew goth angels that all looked liked Christina Ricci,who I had a crush on because she was dark and mysterious and not like the others, you know, Tim Burton stuff. A dark lone wolf like me. If only I could meet her we would be joined in darkness forever!

Oh, and the phase where I thought that being into black metal meant I couldn't listen to anything else, because everything else is just generic mindwashing commercial crap for sheeple. TRVE NORWEGIAN METAL - NO FUN ALLOWED

Sblargh

Banned
Korn and Linkin Park are for posers kid posers who just follow the trends MTV ordered them to, the sheep. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd is the real rock n roll

magnetic

... And man, Disturbed was bad. UUH WA - A - A - A! OH OH! Alex Navarro imitated them beautifully in a recent Beastcast.

Top Bottom