• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering our edgy days

Despera

Banned
Papercut by Linkin Park used to be one of my favorite songs back when I was 12. The edge.

To be fair, during that time I also listened to a lot of great bands that have stuck with me, like Iron Maiden and The Offspring.

Hybrid Theory is also a secret guilty pleasure of mine.
Never understood this mentality. Both HT and Meteora are good, nothing guilty about it.

At one point in my teenage years, my PC wallpaper was this image with the Final Fantasy Tactics quote "'God' is an image created out of man's insecurities" added in red comic sans with MSPaint.

I think you win so far.

I don't know that I was ever much of an edgelord, but I did go through a phase of wearing t-shirts so baggy they ended just above my knee and may have in some cases had tupac on them.

I do remember them, but I sure as hell didn't listen to Linkin Park.

I listened (and still often listen) to this masterpiece:

220px-worldcomingdownx5jq5.jpg

i'm still convinced i was one of the first in Finland to listen to KoRn, Limp Bizkit and the Deftones (who are still cool btw). can you imagine how edgy i felt as a 13-14 year old trendsetter? i was untouchable in my coolness, in my own head. then i got into emo 5 years before it became a mainstream thing. i was a god.

Is it wrong that I still think Hybrid Theory is a genuinely good album? There's not a single wasted track on that thing, and, if you ignore the lyrics, it's still very catchy.

Don't get me wrong - Nu-Metal was a terrible mistake, but it wasn't all trash.

I was 20 years old when Linkin Park's Crawling dropped. I goddamn hated that song and the entire genre it was a part of. I was really disenfranchised with popular music back then. I was also working at a video rental store, where I would just work the late shift and smoke a lot of weed outside in the back during my breaks.

I don't accept hip-hop mixed with electro, for me it's not hip-hop. Is this edgy ?

I can't even listen to Kendrick Lamar because of it.

I was a skateboard loser and listened to everything from NWA to Jewel. Got fucked up almost every day and dropped out of high school and was a daddy at 18. Edgy as fuck.

I was never the edgy one, I was the weird one with the easy smile, but the majority of my friends were. I was friends with many self-harming, screamo-listening goons. Some of us were skaters, some of us did a small amout of weed and thought we were hardcore...No, 'shit hot' was the term everyone used. I owned a pair of Bam Margera Heartagram black and pink shoes.

In hindsight, you have to ask yourself what you were thinking.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I stopped listening to Limp Bizkit, but still tend to hate most people.

Mentally I'm stuck at around 15 it seems.

I never had an edgy phase.
I never really liked that type of music, although I do quite like the title track of Welcome to the Black Parade.

I think I got offended when people tried to make Nightmare Before Christmas from a Christmas film for kids into some deep, edgy emo thing, and I swore off an edgy phase there and then.

I went through a phase with a lot of the music listed already, plus wearing fingerless gloves constantly in school, straightening my hair, and colouring in my converse with marker pens...

rXPswLH.png

Thank god it only lasted a year

When I was 16 I had left home and was living hundreds of miles away in my girlfriend's basement. Her family was abusive and I could hear the stomping and hitting each other and screaming above me. I had blue hair and listened to crust punk and reviewed records for Punk Planet magazine and frequently ideated suicide.

In absolutely every way my life is better and I am incredibly thankful for it. But crust punk is still awesome.

My teens were spent pretty much the same as my childhood - playing outside with friends and enjoying life. My edge days came in my early 20s...but without any edge and tons of crippling depression and anxiety. Fun times.

Like others here I went through a phase when I became an atheist of looking down on those that were religious.

For a period of around three years I refused to participate in Christmas and instead created my own holiday, my family indulged me, bless them.

I also created a Bible for my own religion that I made so I could get more holidays from school.

I was never really emo, the edgiest my music got was Hollywood Undead but I didn't listen to them very long.

seriously guys i listened to Limp Bizkit when they just had a 3 track demo tape out (with Counterfeit and two other songs i can't remember).

i have to win this thread.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I thought Break Stuff was the edginess national anthem, but I guess it depends on if you were born in the suburbs or if your dad was an abusive alcoholic.

blanchot

[. . .the salient feature of the absurd age I was at--an age which for all its alleged awkwardness, is prodigiously rich-- is that reason is not its guide, and the most insignificant attributes of other people always appear to be consubstantial with their personality. One lives among monsters and gods, a stranger to peace of mind. There is scarcely a single one of our acts from that time which we would not prefer to abolish later on. But all we should lament is the loss of the spontaneity that urged them upon us. In later life, we see things with a more practical eye, one we share with the rest of society; but adolescence was the only time when we ever learned anything.]​

Zombine

Banned
I had this period in my life around 2006 where I wore NIN shirts and listened to Tool all day and hated life.

Now I listen to NIN and wear vintage band shirts and I'm going to see A Perfect Circle in November and love life.

I guess this is what growing up is like.

I don't think I was ever edgy. I was nerdy before it was cool though... but I was always more a bubblegum-kawaii-cute-things teenager through into my early 20s. My favourite music when everyone else was into Linking Park and Nine Inch Neil was stuff like Aqua, Spice Girls and Alishas Attic. The edgiest I got was a bit of Alanis Morrisette whilst painting my Warhammer minis*!!

*Alanis is now forever linked with Warhammer to me and two decades later I still listen to Jagged Little Pill whilst I paint my toy soldiers pink.

Mathieran

Banned
I was pretty bad. I listened to all the NuMetal bands, thought Korn was the greatest though. I watched TRL and always got pissed when Britney Spears/Nsync etc beat one of my NuMetal bands.

I also had semi long hair that I attempted really terrible styles with (even tried to get Cloud's hair but just ended up with gel laden spikes laying across my face). I lived in rural North Dakota so I looked super out of place.

I think the worst thing I ever did was in a note I was writing to a friend I said something along the lines not blaming the columbine kids for what they did considering how much people in our group get treated.

I'm sure I could think of some other shit if I thought about but I'd rather not. On the bright side I was only bad for like 2 years, like 8th and 9th grade.

i had a grunge phase when i was 8 courtesy of my sister, then took a deep dive into hipsterdom at 12 and never recovered. the edgiest i got was hating chart music, but i definitely recovered from that when bands i liked got mainstream.

my dad still listens to The Black Parade, and he's 58.

Fat4all

Banned
Im sure someday Steely Dan will be considered 'oldies' soon enough

then I can retire as the old person I was always meant to be

in my sit-down, old person bathtub

woopWOOP

Needled 24/7 is the only one I specifically remember listening to, because it's so ridiculously tryhard to me now

That and Sonic Adventure butt rock OSTs, lmao

dont even be embarrased, steely dan is awesome! I dont consider that apart of my "edgy" period because that was just shit my parents played

Fat4all

Banned
dont even be embarrased, steely dan is awesome! I dont consider that apart of my "edgy" period because that was just shit my parents played

That's the thing, tho

Thats when I realized my parents had much better taste in music than me

It zapped my edge phase in the arse

Forkball

I never owned any Linkin Park CDs, but I liked them at their peak. Even now I don't think they're so bad. Definitely "teenager rock" but not offensively awful.

Dishwalla

Banned
I was deep into punk rock when Linkin Park came out and always thought they sucked, so thankfully I never went through a Linkin Park phase.

I had the screaming woman from the hidden track on Manson's first album as my answering machine message for a while, until the police told me that I should probably change it.

Among other things.

Steely Dan were oldies 20 years ago.

Linkin Park is almost an oldies band now.

_Rob_

For context I was a male 14 year old.

• I had shoulder length straight blonde hair (people always mistook me for female which infuriated me).
  • Insisted said hair was to be in front of my eyes at all times, despite the vision impairment.
  • Wore band shirts from bands I didn't listen too.
  • Never took off some rather unhygienic sweat bands, regardless of weather including rain and heatwaves.
  • Wore a long metal chain hanging over my thigh but connected both ends to belt loops.
  • Vocally hated all music that wasn't metal or rock, but listened to Bowie and the entire Vice City soundtrack secretly.
  • Created a custom Windows theme that was red and black. The startup sound was the intro to Down With The Sickness by Disturbed (ooh wah ah ah ah).
I'm glad I got past that phase pretty quickly. Yes mum, it was definitely a phase, I apologise for the eye strain all that rolling must have caused.

DemWalls

I've always had an edgy side that pops up from time to time, but it's more Immortal edgy than Linkin Park edgy. So, maybe I'm not really edgy.

So edgy = that angsty teenager phase? Never did that myself tbh, me and my friends were nerds and did shit like lan parties at school or at each other places.

Also listening to alot of crappy happy hardcore(?), good times lol. Developed a better taste in music later than most, so were a late bloomer there.

In fact GTA: SA made me discover music like depeche mode and so on and from there it went, so ty GTA: SA.

AAAH this thread. I had a straight up fucking total edgelord fedora-phase. I'm 22 now and this was around 13-16 if i remember it right, so i still have some more modern edgy stuff that i listened to too. But man, i was hardcore cool guy atheist, "muh friendzone ;'(" behavior, edgy memes, edgy music, edgy anime.
When i was like 15, i held a small speech about the friendzone for class. That's how fucking bad it was.
When i played smackdown vs raw i always tried to make some cool kung fu trenchcoat character with scars and shit.
Elfen Lied was amaze.
Music was like all of the above mentioned, + Three days Grace, sum41, motionless in white, etcetc.

It was a bad time.

Top Bottom