• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: We vote with our wallets and time. Not with what we say.

Is bluecowboys right?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and he also has a foot long

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
I just want to remind everyone that you can whine on neogaf, cry on twitter, and make all the videos on youtube you want. It doesn't matter if you keep buying the game or playing the game through subscription service. You vote base on your wallet and time at the end of the day. Not with your screaming or yelling.

For example, if you want red fall to be delayed, don't pre download the game and ignore it until the 60fps patch comes in. This will teach MS and other publishers to not release games incomplete. That is what I will be doing.

However, more than likely this game will probably be downloaded through game pass and supported by all of you at the end of the day. This is because you have no discipline and you all know it.

Another example in the opposite direction is Hogwarts legacy. We all know the controversy about the game and guess what? It didn't matter because the game was successful.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I bought Wanted: Dead and Bayonetta Origins day 1. I'm a paragon of integrity.

I do agree. And I think the money best spent is on the games you're half way sure about but interested in. The stuff that already sells 10 million+ doesn't really change much with your purchase. The stuff like NieR Automata changing Yoko Taro's entire career because it sold 2 million, thats where you can affect things.

I bought Wanted: Dead and Bayonetta Origins day 1. I'm a paragon of integrity.

I do agree. And I think the money best spent is on the games you're half way sure about but interested in. The stuff that already sells 10 million+ doesn't really change much with your purchase. The stuff like NieR Automata changing Yoko Taro's entire career because it sold 2 million, thats where you can affect things.
Wait, how did it change Yoko Taro's entire career? I loved Nier Automata as I thought it was really fun game.

Klayzer

I just want to remind everyone that you can whine on neogaf, cry on twitter, and make all the videos on youtube you want. It doesn't matter if you keep buying the game or playing the game through subscription service. You vote base on your wallet and time at the end of the day. Not with your screaming or yelling.

For example, if you want red fall to be delayed, don't pre download the game and ignore it until the 60fps patch comes in. This will teach MS and other publishers to not release games incomplete. That is what I will be doing.

However, more than likely this game will probably be downloaded through game pass and supported by all of you at the end of the day. This is because you have no discipline and you all know it.

Another example in the opposite direction is Hogwarts legacy. We all know the controversy about the game and guess what? It didn't matter because the game was successful.
We can do both, actually. This is a discussion forum for both positive and negative opinions. Don't get so upset when your favorite brand is taking criticism.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Wait, how did it change Yoko Taro's entire career? I loved Nier Automata as I thought it was really fun game.
It was the first game he worked on that actually sold well. He got to remake the first NieR, did a trilogy of Voice of Cards games, multiple mobile games, and is likely working on the next NieR. Just from a measly 2 million sales that big time series would hardly notice beyond a rounding error.

It was the first game he worked on that actually sold well. He got to remake the first NieR, did a trilogy of Voice of Cards games, multiple mobile games, and is likely working on the next NieR. Just from a measly 2 million sales that big time series would hardly notice beyond a rounding error.
Must be low budget because 2 million sells for a AAA game usually spells disaster.

Last edited:

radewagon

I mean, you're kind of right and kind of wrong. While your dollars obviously speak volumes, they are also a very insignificant singular choice. If you choose to not buy something, honestly, no one cares. If you choose to buy something, honestly, still no one cares. No amount of me purchasing Darkstalkers compilations is going to bring it back and no amount of me not buying Hogwarts Legacy is going to make JK rethink her ways. Dollars speak volumes when volumes of people make a unified choice.

That's why people whine and cry on twitter and other platforms. Alone, our choices are largely meaningless, but if enough people get riled up, you can get some positive (and, unfortunately negative as well) changes to happen. Just look at the recently further pushed back Suicide Squad. Or the patches made to games like the GTA Trilogy, No Man's Sky, and Cyberpunk. Public dissatisfaction is effective and can gain much more momentum than quietly refusing to spend money on a specific product.

I mean, you're kind of right and kind of wrong. While your dollars obviously speak volumes, they are also a very insignificant singular choice. If you choose to not buy something, honestly, no one cares. If you choose to buy something, honestly, still no one cares. No amount of me purchasing Darkstalkers compilations is going to bring it back and no amount of me not buying Hogwarts Legacy is going to make JK rethink her ways. Dollars speak volumes when volumes of people make a unified choice.

That's why people whine and cry on twitter and other platforms. Alone, our choices are largely meaningless, but if enough people get riled up, you can get some positive (and, unfortunately negative as well) changes to happen. Just look at the recently further pushed back Suicide Squad. Or the patches made to games like the GTA Trilogy, No Man's Sky, and Cyberpunk. Public dissatisfaction is effective and can gain much more momentum than quietly refusing to spend money on a specific product.
These games proves my point. They became successful overall because people didn't put their foot down at the beginning.

Last edited:
the last I heard MS doesn't care about money. how is one supposed to "vote with your wallet" if MS isn't even releasing physical games? as well.

and as you said:

"downloaded through game pass and supported by all of you at the end of the day"

isnt that exactly what MS wants? it seems as per your own logic MS has a Win-Win scenario in their hands.

the last I heard MS doesn't care about money. how is one supposed to "vote with your wallet" if MS isn't even releasing physical games? as well.

and as you said:

"downloaded through game pass and supported by all of you at the end of the day"

isnt that exactly what MS wants? it seems as per your own logic MS has a Win-Win scenario in their hands.
Umm, MS does care about money. Xbox game pass isn't free you stilly goose.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I buy what I want.....
cartman-eric-cartman.gif

Roni

Gold Member

You wake up at 4h30 in the morning too?

radewagon

These games proves my point. They became successful overall because people didn't put their foot at the beginning.
Counterpoint: I only avoided those games because of public sentiment. Every single one is a game I was ready to buy but held off on because of all the bad buzz from whiners and complainers.

Topher

Gold Member
Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

More than one way to voice displeasure when a mega-corporation fucks up. Better way to say it, imo, is back up your words with actions.

Counterpoint: I only avoided those games because of public sentiment. Every single one is a game I was ready to buy but held off on because of all the bad buzz from whiners and complainers.

That's a good point. If people are vocal about shit when it is bad then that promotes awareness with others who can then also "vote with their wallet".

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What if you like a game, but you wish the developers did something else different? What do you do then? Become a reviewer/games journalist?

The logic behind this also wants to silence the gamers who say anything about the industry too.

This^^. Not only that but our most effective way of getting change these days aside from not buying something en masse is to kick up a shitstorm on Twitter or Reddit as well as bombarding them with support tickets. Its literally the only "voice" we have as gamers because the games media or so inept and/or corrupt.

Every big youtuber is also in the pockets of the big publishers one way or another. How often do these guys get gifted with free travel + room and board to exclusive "preview events" or get free consoles and review copies aka special collectors editions weeks before release. It's disgusting.

Lasha

Not buying a game and completely avoiding any engagement with the game is the smart play. Not buying the game and informing the developer of your reasons through direct feedback channels is also ok. Buying a game because "my individual choice doesn't matter" then whinging about it everywhere in the hopes of improvement is idiotic. Double so if you are sharing videos and other secondary media which inflate the game's social media presence. The minute you buy a game you are telling the publisher "the misgivings I have about your product do not outweigh my desire to purchase your product". Publishers push up against established red lines because players keep rewarding the action with money. The community may leave you behind but you're left with money in your pocket and your sanity.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This was sort of what I came here to say. We do (ideally? hopefully?) cast our votes with our wallets, but just as people discuss politics (not on GAF!) to persuade others' ballot votes, we gotta speak with others if we want them to vote the same way with their wallets that we do.

A friend who uses Steam Family Share with me just got GhostWire: Tokyo (Fanatical sale coinciding with the new update). I feel like even though I didn't pay for it, I still shouldn't give it my attention. It should be easy enough to just play other games. Backlogs don't have an end.

aries_71

An individual screaming and kicking does affect the discourse more than an individual not buying a game.

Especially on Neogaf. You would be surprised how many and who browse this site.
NeoGAF is absolutely niche. If you want to kick start a shitstorm Twitter is the place.

Forums don't really matter to most consumers. People are choosing to buy one product over another and most of them don't talk about it in social media. What we say here doesn't really reflect on the state of the market.

onQ123

People will bitch about Redfall then spend $70 on a 30fps720p Zelda day 1 anyway

Didn't know Zelda was a fast paced 1st Person Shooter but I guess "Sony Too" has turned into "Nintendo Too" because y'all couldn't find a PS5 game to point the finger at. SMH it's like a group of people have a huddle & come out with some foolishness for everyone to push online & some of you think people can't see that you're saying the same thing that has become the thing to say lol.

LakeOf9

Didn't know Zelda was a fast paced 1st Person Shooter but I guess "Sony Too" has turned into "Nintendo Too" because y'all couldn't find a PS5 game to point the finger at. SMH it's like a group of people have a huddle & come out with some foolishness for everyone to push online & some of you think people can't see that you're saying the same thing that has become the thing to say lol.
FQGZtI9WQAYsL_-.jpg

You are emotionally attached enough to create a thread about your favourite new game. If you really want to stick it to Microsoft, don't even talk about it.

Iced Arcade

Ahh I dunno, voicing concerns tend to be a warning flag gold standard.

Like little angry Johny in the cubicle at his place of work who doesn't like Lisa pissing in soda bottles on shift because the sound is distracting. Doesn't speak up or say anything... Just jumps out the window. Take that Lisa!

Last edited:
Top Bottom