• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

MrGerbils

Amy suggestions for remote play and using the back touch for triggers? Just got my Vita today and having a really hard time using it to play Batman. The rear touch is awful and difficult to tell if I'm actually pressing it or not.

Last sentence pretty much sums up the rear touch. Don't really have any suggestions to make it better.

Barbarian

Amy suggestions for remote play and using the back touch for triggers? Just got my Vita today and having a really hard time using it to play Batman. The rear touch is awful and difficult to tell if I'm actually pressing it or not.

Yup. Not having both shoulder buttons and triggers pretty much kills the vita for PS4 remote play. If only Sony would allow the user to pair a DS4 to the vita, we'd have a workaround. But they refuse to do that, so the vita is worthless for remote play for most games. Just my opinion obviously. Your mileage (and tolerance for that rear touchpad) may vary.

To be clear, I still very much like the vita as its own system. It has many great games. I'm just frustrated with remote play.

Omerta

My thoughts...

- You can 'pair' a ds4 with a vita via the duel account workaround. It's painful but it works beautifully. COME ON SONY: One firmware update on the vita that allows people to store one dummy account on the vita alongside your main one and remote play is fixed.

- I've tried remote play with my SONY Z3 and a Nyko Smart Clip and the performance isn't up to my Vita OLED's.

- Those L2R2 Vita cases are only sold for the Vita 2000s. I'd buy one for the original Vita in a heartbeat.

- In lieu of a duel trigger case, I'm going to mod my Vita grip. I'm starting to get materials together now to do it. Check online, there are a few guides that show it pretty clearly.

Basically, I'm using copper adhesive tape on the rear touch pad at the input point, wire attached to the tape and a switch mounted to the Vita grip.

Should work pretty well. The only problem with doing this is that it renders games that use *all* of the rear touch pad unplayable... But that's cool, I've beaten Tearaway!

I had the world's worst ISP, modem and router. That all ended today when the Rainbow Rabbit showed up at my house. For those of you not from KC, that means Google Fiber. I can't wait to set up my remote play properly tonight.

So does anyone have a list of games that work great with Remote Play? So far I've tried Batman and Ground Zeroes, and GZ actually had great mapping. Batman is basically unplayable.

Planet

I'd say the majority of the games work just fine. Many have excellent adjusted mapping like Alien: Isolation, others need a few quick changes to button mapping like Borderlands: Handsome Collection, but then work perfectly. Others clearly didn't give any thought to playing it via Remote Play like Witcher 3 (and any other game detecting 4 separate regions on the back touch panel), but are still somewhat playable.

Racing games tend to suffer from the added latency, also I have trouble driving in GTA V. But I find the list of games that don't work well much shorter than the other.

Nabbed a PS TV at the Best Buy sale and just tried it out on the upstairs bedroom TV.

My stream quality (Video/sound) is super solid with no tinkering at all (except for putting my PS4 on a wired connection instead of wireless).

The problem is the persistent 0.5-ish seconds of input lag.

Is it worth doing all the config and tinkering to try and overcome that, or is that half second of input lag always present no matter how fantastic your connection? It's making the prospect of playing any action game tricky. I tried a level in Shovel Knight and that minor lag drove me nuts.

This bs lag started happening to me after the last few updates, I went ballistic on my network trying to source the problem, it ended up being some stupid glitch with the HDCP setting on the ps4, when it's on, I would get the lag UNLESS I had the game also as the active input on my screen (pointless when remote playing while someone is using said screen) with it turned off, no lag at all... so sony's fucked something again with their bs hdcp video drm junk in the pst few updates.

Edit: Just noticed the hdmi/hdcp issue in the op lol, so weird how only the last while the problem started happening to me, but yes disabling the shit solved my lag problem, now I can stream it 60fps just fine, remote diablo 3 handheld ftw!

So does anyone have a list of games that work great with Remote Play? So far I've tried Batman and Ground Zeroes, and GZ actually had great mapping. Batman is basically unplayable.

The hilarious, and equally fucking annoying as shit thing about batman is how even the Batmobile controls are botched. Accelerate is with R2, they really couldn't take the time to put it on R1.

I'm going to start a thread one of these days when I'm not too lazy to try to get people to rally up and get Sony to actually give us full custom mapping or make good on their "mandatory" Remote Play and ask devs to actually put a little bit of effort into the controls. It's so damn annoying.

swnny

With my new internet provider, I have 30mbits download and 30mbits upload, so I decided to try remote play away from home, but I encounter a problem. Every 30 seconds it disconnects without the "connection is shit" icon, just blank screen and few moments later "the connection to the PS4 was lost".

My PS4 is connected wirelessly (signal strength is over 80%) to my router, with UPNP enabled and DMZ host set to PS4's IP.
My Vita is with wifi power savings unchecked, connected to a 10mbits down/up connecton with NAT type 2.
When I start Remote Play it finds the console, connects to it, and I have a perfect and smooth picture for around 30 seconds, when it just drops...

Tried with an Xperia M2 and the Remote Play app via mobile network, exact same problem as with the Vita...

Aside from connecting the PS4 with the router via a LAN cable, which is not an option at the moment, what else could I try? I'm running low on ideas.

Does anyone know what the battery life is like when using remote play? I was playing some Fifa last night using RP on and off for about 5 hours. While I was probably only playing for about half of that time, it was sitting there with RP launched for the whole 5 hours and I had it plugged in the whole time, it was fully charged when I started, but when afterwards it was only half charged.

Does RP use more juice than the vita can charge?

Stike

Does anyone know what the battery life is like when using remote play? I was playing some Fifa last night using RP on and off for about 5 hours. While I was probably only playing for about half of that time, it was sitting there with RP launched for the whole 5 hours and I had it plugged in the whole time, it was fully charged when I started, but when afterwards it was only half charged.

Does RP use more juice than the vita can charge?

No, remote play shouldn't use more battery than the charger can deliver. Bascially, it is just some videostreaming via WiFi, which shouldn't tax the hardware a lot.

In my experience, Remote Play is surprisingly easy on the battery.

Try to completely switch off your Vita and try again. If the problem persists, your battery may have turned faulty (I don't believe that however).

aitakute

Anyone has tried remote play on both Vita 1000 and 2000? I have the Vita 1000 and the OLED makes the colors look kind over saturated. Is it better on the 2000? Been thinking maybe I should buy a Vita 2000 for remote play

DieH@rd

Banned
Anyone has tried remote play on both Vita 1000 and 2000? I have the Vita 1000 and the OLED makes the colors look kind over saturated. Is it better on the 2000? Been thinking maybe I should buy a Vita 2000 for remote play

V2000 is great, it has "modern smartphone screen" [more than good enough] and 1hr longer battery life.

No, remote play shouldn't use more battery than the charger can deliver. Bascially, it is just some videostreaming via WiFi, which shouldn't tax the hardware a lot.

In my experience, Remote Play is surprisingly easy on the battery.

Try to completely switch off your Vita and try again. If the problem persists, your battery may have turned faulty (I don't believe that however).

I tried it again last night, this time hardly playing and leaving the Vita idle with RP turned on for a good 4 or so hours. It was fully charged when I started and down 1/4 when finished. So it took more juice than was put in.

And yeah, I had the system completely turned off before starting so I did power cycle.

Stike

I tried it again last night, this time hardly playing and leaving the Vita idle with RP turned on for a good 4 or so hours. It was fully charged when I started and down 1/4 when finished. So it took more juice than was put in.

And yeah, I had the system completely turned off before starting so I did power cycle.

Huh, weird... need to try with my unit how it performs in this case...

SeanR1221

Ugh what the fuck. I take back what I say. As soon as my wife started streaming Netflix on Apple TV Remote play stopped working. Seriously? The ps4 is wired! Can you not have anything using the wifi for this to work?

DieH@rd

Banned
Ugh what the fuck. I take back what I say. As soon as my wife started streaming Netflix on Apple TV Remote play stopped working. Seriously? The ps4 is wired! Can you not have anything using the wifi for this to work?

Check the WiFi signals in your area [you can do it via smartphone]. Vita is maybe on the same channel as some other devices in your home/around your home. You can switch Vita to less congested channel.

http://cdn4.aptoide.com/imgs/2/6/a/26a836bedd5fd5d83d4c16bc70c1115f_screen_1024x640.png

The PS4 is on LAN down on the main floor. The PSTV in the bedroom can't also be, unless I run some long-ass ethernet cord across the house, which isn't happening. Haha.

Hadn't thought about all the TV image processing stuff - thanks!

So, my question still is - is it possible to get a PSTV with PS4 remote play going with pretty much 0 lag? Does anyone have this working? I don't mean the "it runs fine for me" situation, which a lot of people who just can't detect lag say (a lot of my friends throw their hands up in the air when we're all collectively looking at something that has input lag, because they just can't seem to detect it, making me the 'picky' one, lol). I mean truly lag-free.

This thing could be your solution/new best friend http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DieH@rd

Banned
Just dropped in to say that MGSV works great with RP [buttery-smooth low-latency 60fps goodness], but sadly KojiPro did not change button layout of GZ. Everything remains the same [L1,L3,R1,R3 are all on back touch, tap on screen is for iDroid].

Glad this thread bumped as I recently used RP for gaming when I was on vacation last week (the TV in our beach house decided to die). Thank goodness I packed my Vita-

Super impressed with the DS4 and the 60fps mode on the vita via RP-propped up my vita on the nightstand for some late night Mad Max and MGSV.

I've used remote play on the oled vita, the lcd vita and just recently purchased a Xperia z3 tablet to use remote play with that.

I loved remote play on the vitas but I found that it would still have moments of lag, probably because of all the traffic on the 2.4 GHz wifi. With the Tablet I was able to have that running on the 5ghz channel and it's been the best experience I've had so far. Especially since I can link a ds4 to it as well. I've had no lagging and no drops. It's been the best experience I've had so far and being able to use a ds4 made it even better.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm currently in Seoul and was able to remote play into my PS4 in Canada with the Vita TV and play some games. It was awesome :p

Yet, when I'm back home, I can't even remote play into my PS4 when I'm in my room upstairs. It makes no sense :/

mattp

so, suddenly my remote play is practically useless and i have no idea why
wired ps4

remote play has always been FLAWLESS for me
but a week or so ago i went to dink around in phantom pain while my wife watched tv and i basically couldn't use it
random dropped inputs and CONSTANT disconnects. and not like, low bandwidth pixelation with the "poor connection" icon appearing
just straight up black screen out of nowhere and "youve been disconnected from the ps4"
this is 100% consistent. its impossible for me to stay connected for longer than a minute or 2 without this happening

i dont know what to do :\
ive reset both systems and repaired but...i dont really know what else to try
same router i've always had. ive reset that too, obviously. no change

halp

Wil348

So I've actually tried RP on both my Android phone and Vita, and it is much more stable on the Vita. My phone will constantly have connection issues whereas my Vita only has them every now and then. It's strange because I've used them in the same location, same room as my PS4, but the Vita always comes out on top. Not a huge issue, if anything, more of a reason to have the Vita.

NZNova

I've begun having an issue where my PS TV is unable to turn on my PS4 for remote play. It just sits there and says "turning on PS4" forever while the PS4 sits there in rest mode. If I go and turn it on manually it works fine, but it would be nice if it just worked.

DieH@rd

Banned
so, suddenly my remote play is practically useless and i have no idea why
wired ps4

remote play has always been FLAWLESS for me
but a week or so ago i went to dink around in phantom pain while my wife watched tv and i basically couldn't use it
random dropped inputs and CONSTANT disconnects. and not like, low bandwidth pixelation with the "poor connection" icon appearing
just straight up black screen out of nowhere and "youve been disconnected from the ps4"
this is 100% consistent. its impossible for me to stay connected for longer than a minute or 2 without this happening

i dont know what to do :\
ive reset both systems and repaired but...i dont really know what else to try
same router i've always had. ive reset that too, obviously. no change

halp

This has low % of success, but try to test turning off HDCP or simply pulling HDMI cable from PS4.

Maybe your home suddenly became congested with new WiFi networks [or Vita switched to new channel].

Piccoro

This has low % of success, but try to test turning off HDCP or simply pulling HDMI cable from PS4.

Maybe your home suddenly became congested with new WiFi networks [or Vita switched to new channel].

This actually worked for me. By disabling HDCP the remote play runs much smoother.
Some apps need it to function, though (like Spotify).

mattp

i actually switched to direct connection and it solved my problem, for now
i dont like losing the range though
and i always had a MORE stable connection via my LAN than i did via direct. direct tended to downgrade and pixelate more often to keep a steady connection
but hey, i'll take that over straight up dropping the connection ever 2 minutes

its so frustrating, i dont know what else to try. there are no other variables in my setup because NOTHING has changed in my network

I recently moved and my ps4 went from being wired in to wireless, and the hops from wireless to wireless makes remote play basically unusable. I need to find a way to hard wire my ps4 so I can remote play again =#

mauaus

I recently moved and my ps4 went from being wired in to wireless, and the hops from wireless to wireless makes remote play basically unusable. I need to find a way to hard wire my ps4 so I can remote play again =#
PowerLine adapters, there problem solved

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks like Fallout 4 will get customized control scheme for Vita RP. Hopefully more devs will emulate what Destiny devs did for RP.

2015-10-1512_04_42-juuqszs.jpg

Top Bottom