• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Has anyone posted router bandwidth stats with various settings (from 360p/30fps to 720p/60fps)? Does Sony use variable bitrate?

I want to know many Mbps of upload you need to stream (Remote Play/Share Play) without hiccups in 720p60...

FadgewackeR

Neo Member
The PS4 is on LAN down on the main floor. The PSTV in the bedroom can't also be, unless I run some long-ass ethernet cord across the house, which isn't happening. Haha.

Hadn't thought about all the TV image processing stuff - thanks!

So, my question still is - is it possible to get a PSTV with PS4 remote play going with pretty much 0 lag? Does anyone have this working? I don't mean the "it runs fine for me" situation, which a lot of people who just can't detect lag say (a lot of my friends throw their hands up in the air when we're all collectively looking at something that has input lag, because they just can't seem to detect it, making me the 'picky' one, lol). I mean truly lag-free.

Did you ever get this working by changing the HDPC and 60 fps the way? I've the exact issues you had (.5 sec input lag) and it's so as I don't use my PSTV. My vita has always been perfect.

FadgewackeR

Neo Member
Thanks!!! I've finally managed to get the PSTV to remote play without controller input lag, for anyone that's interested, here's my exact set up:

PS4 Hard wired to router.
PS4 in DMZ with static IP.
HDCP turned OFF on PS4
Remote Play Direct Connect turned OFF.
PSTV hard wired via home plugs.
PSTV wifi power save setting disabled (I know I'm wired, but hey..)
On the PSTV PS4 link app, before you connect, go to the options (in app) and select high quality stream content. This will disable video recording while playing, but crucially makes things playable.
Image enhancement options on the upstairs TV (the remote one) minimised.

SUCCESS!!! PSTV is now worth something to me again. Steps 6 and 7 have also been applied to my Vita and the performance (which was always good) has also been improved.

Boss Man

I've been having an issue lately with remote play.

If I log into the PS4 from remote play and the PS4 was rested on Netflix, I'm stuck. The (PS4) PS button does nothing. So now my PS4 is just on while I'm out of town for the weekend sittin there stuck.

It used to be that you could hit the PS button and get rid of netflix, right? That's also what the message on screen indicates, tells me to use the PS button. Not sure what is up. Did they break this with an update or something?

Be warned, I I tried going the Powerline route and the adapters did not work in my house 99% of the time, and the 1% of the time it did work, the throughput was far less than wireless.

YMMV: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106570
I used those in my old apartment to great effect, and in my new apartment they don't seem to work. I mean, the connection still works it's just that remote play didn't. Weird. YMMV indeed, probably depends on how your house is wired.

SeanR1221

Just a reminder: A good router makes a BIG difference.

I wired my PS4 a couple months ago, but remote play was still spotty using the default Verizon fios router. And if my wife started streaming netflix, forget about it.

I got the Netgear r6400 from best buy, and it made a HUGE difference. I was able to put the apple tv on a 5ghz channel, so theres less interference. Since the signal is so strong, I can stream high quality on both the vita AND ps TV. Very happy now and FO4 works great on remote play.

Josh378

Just a reminder: A good router makes a BIG difference.

I wired my PS4 a couple months ago, but remote play was still spotty using the default Verizon fios router. And if my wife started streaming netflix, forget about it.

I got the Netgear r600 from best buy, and it made a HUGE difference. I was able to put the apple tv on a 5ghz channel, so theres less interference. Since the signal is so strong, I can stream high quality on both the vita AND ps TV. Very happy now and FO4 works great on remote play.

Hey it's the Google router they provide customers for that Google Internet is it a pretty good router?

plainr_

D'oh. I wasted a shit load of time trying to register my new PSTV to my PS4 over the internet. The whole time I thought pairing could only be done locally within the same network, so I used a VPN tunnel. Come to find on accident, you can just connect directly and pair that way. lol

I've made some bandwidth measurements on Share Play over the internet if anyone's interested.

Router: ASUS DSL-N17U
Connection: VDSL2 50/5 (sync speed 47341 kbps/4999 kbps)
First-hop ping: 18ms (the client was within the same country to minimize latency)
Game: TLOU MP
The PS4 host is connected via Gigabit ethernet to the router/switch.

Steaming settings: Framerate High (60fps)

High resolution (720p):
mKiJfQx.png

Standard resolution (360p?):
IZNlgiO.png

samueeL

Banned
I've been having an issue lately with remote play.

If I log into the PS4 from remote play and the PS4 was rested on Netflix, I'm stuck. The (PS4) PS button does nothing. So now my PS4 is just on while I'm out of town for the weekend sittin there stuck.
Any fix for this? Really annoying problem that seems to have been around months and no reaction from Sony? Anyone manage to fix this? Wanna access my ps4 but it's resting in netflix :(

PowerLine adapters, there problem solved

Bump. After connecting the PowerLine adapters to the PS4 and Wi-Fi router, what do I connect my Vita to for Wi-fi? Do I connect to my normal Wi-Fi router, or is there a separate Wi-Fi connection to the PowerLine adapters?

eastx

Remote Play with Vita worked great the first few days after I got my PS4 this month, but lately I keep getting the error "The internet connection speed is currently not strong enough to start Remote Play" on my Vita during the connection process.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk router with latest firmware, PS4 connected to networking switch via ethernet cable, Wi-Fi power saving is turned off on the Vita, Direct Connection is off on the PS4, and my router's wireless security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES] only. I also have the PSN and Remote Play ports open via Port Forwarding on the router, though disabling Port Forwarding doesn't seem to make a difference.

PS4 Internet Connection test results are all successful, with Download speed 11.8 Mbps and Upload 3.6 Mbps (which seems low compared to my PC's max of around 124 Mbps down and 11.5 Mbps up).

I'm having trouble connecting no matter where I am in the house, so the quality of the Wi-Fi signal is not a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

majik13

Bump. After connecting the PowerLine adapters to the PS4 and Wi-Fi router, what do I connect my Vita to for Wi-fi? Do I connect to my normal Wi-Fi router, or is there a separate Wi-Fi connection to the PowerLine adapters?

Powerline adapter will only help the PS4. They are great I have a couple. I think some powerline adapters do have wifi extenders though. But yeah otherwise you connect te Vita to your wifi.

Sometimes my Vita will forget my wifi network, but still show a wifi connection icon in the menu. Usually I just have to manually reconnect to the wifi.
other suggestions I remember is I think changing your wifi signal to 5ghz? instead of the standard 2.5. To avoid interference as that is what most signals are iirc. Ive never tried this, so my details may be wrong. Also maybe try direct connection if you are close enough to the PS4.

As for my own question. How is RP on the Note 5 or S6 edge? Does the DS4 work well? Does the GCN10 work on them. I would think so as they have glass backs.

Newer bandwidth measurements on Share Play over the internet.

Connection: VDSL2 50/10 (sync speed 49999 kbps/9979 kbps)
First-hop ping: 20ms (the client was within the same country to minimize latency)

High resolution (720p):
hzlMa2C.png

Compared to the previous connection (5 Mbps upload only), there are no compression artifacts at all (just a bit of lag). 10 Mbps upload is a must for 720p60 streaming.

DieH@rd

Banned
Compared to the previous connection (5 Mbps upload only), there are no compression artifacts at all (just a bit of lag). 10 Mbps upload is a must for 720p60 streaming.

Ars has said the same for PSNow. 9mbits gets the best quality preset of 720p60 and no matter how much more bandwith is present, picture quality remains the same.

Ars has said the same for PSNow. 9mbits gets the best quality preset of 720p60 and no matter how much more bandwith is present, picture quality remains the same.
Interesting. I thought PS Now was capped at 720p30/5 Mbps.

IIRC, Xbone streaming to the Windows 10 app tops out at 15 Mbps. I'm not sure if it's native 1080p60 or upscaled from 720p60.

Why can't Sony give us more encoding options? We all have plenty of LAN bandwidth (100 Mbps minimum).

ps: I can't wait for the PC Remote Play app.

Just wanted to drop an interesting tidbit:

I've always had a great connection and quality router, but remote play at home would always work for a few minutes before severely degrading in quality before disconnecting. Over the internet? I'd be lucky if it would connect.

Since upgrading to a Vita 2000, my remote play has suddenly started working properly. I played about an hour or two of Rogue Galaxy last night while my wife played WiiU. I even took it into the bedroom and it never lost connection or lagged. I haven't upgraded my router firmware or anything either.

I'll test over the internet soon when I can find a decent connection somewhere, but for now I'm really happy that I'm able to get it functioning with quality.

Javin98

Banned
I hope this is the right thread to leave my impressions on Remote Play.

Anyway, I got a PS4 earlier this month and a Xperia Z2 exactly a year ago with the main reason being for PS4 Remote Play. So, yesterday I finally gave it a try and I was surprised with how well it worked. I had my Dualshock 4 connected to my phone via Bluetooth because we all know touchscreen sucks for most games. Both my phone and the PS4 were connected to the same Wi-Fi and it worked flawlessly. I noticed little to no lag on 720/60. The compression was not very noticeable and it looked pretty good on my phone. The game I tested was Far Cry 4 and I'm willing to try out even more games since it works so well.

I have Direct Connect turned on my PS4. My Vita has no other Wi-Fi connections saved. I am six feet from my PS4 system.

Why is "internet speed" not good enough..?

Be warned, I I tried going the Powerline route and the adapters did not work in my house 99% of the time, and the 1% of the time it did work, the throughput was far less than wireless.

YMMV: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106570

PowerLine adapters are entirely dependent on the circuit in the house. If you have a multi-story house where one is in the living room and the other is in a room upstairs they (likely) may not work well. When testing them the best I ever got was ~100Mbps and that was even when using them in the same exact room.

If you are a Fios subscriber I highly recommend MoCA adapters. The FiOS router has MoCA built in (For the STB) so you just need the adapters. No matter where I've placed them I've had the same speed/performance. The only way they'd work poorly is if you have splitters all over the house.

Quick PlayStation TV questions for remote play:

1) Will the Sony Gold headset work with the PlayStation TV?

2) With a PS4 controller paired to a PlayStation TV, will the motion controls work? I'm playing Until Dawn at the moment and was hoping the PS4 controller specific controls would carry over to remote play.

Always remember to have a wired connection on your ps4 and remember to disable power mode from vita for maximum wifi speed. My remote play runs smooth as usual zero probs.

majik13

I have Direct Connect turned on my PS4. My Vita has no other Wi-Fi connections saved. I am six feet from my PS4 system.

Why is "internet speed" not good enough..?

Ive read and experienced that direct connect just isnt very good. Basically as far as I know. Its using the wifi of both the PS4 and the Vita, and Sony products seem to not have the best wifi components. Maybe you also have some interference on top of this.

You will most likely get better performance using network RP, while having the PS4 wired.

LordOfChaos

The 720p limit was expected (it's hardware with the h.254 decoder, same as twitch streams and Vita streaming), but still a pain point as streaming 1080p to a hiDPI laptop would be sweet.

But I hope they use the possible advantage then, if games are streaming in 720p, only render in 720p, so hopefully games with framerate dips below 30/60 get smoothed out a bit. If the limit was the GPU at any rate, which many probably aren't.

Anyways...iOS streaming too?? Looking forward to some on the shitter Destiny and in bed Bloodborne.

LordOfChaos

Newer bandwidth measurements on Share Play over the internet.

Connection: VDSL2 50/10 (sync speed 49999 kbps/9979 kbps)
First-hop ping: 20ms (the client was within the same country to minimize latency)

High resolution (720p):
hzlMa2C.png

If it's local, does upload matter? I'm guessing not as it would go straight from the PS4 to your router to your device, right?

Strangely my Chromecast seems to crap out around my upload bitrate limit though, so not sure.

Matt

But I hope they use the possible advantage then, if games are streaming in 720p, only render in 720p, so hopefully games with framerate dips below 30/60 get smoothed out a bit. If the limit was the GPU at any rate, which many probably aren't.
No, that's not happening.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does this mean PC's getting native Dualshock 4 drivers?

PC already has native DS4 support, only it is done via Generic Input driver.

As for PC RP, it is most probably that Remote Play app will itself recognize DS4 and utilize touchpad correctly. I don't expect new PC driver.

If it's local, does upload matter? I'm guessing not as it would go straight from the PS4 to your router to your device, right?

Strangely my Chromecast seems to crap out around my upload bitrate limit though, so not sure.

Yes, PS4>Router>PC, local.

Chromecast is a dumb device, your android device is just sending it "link" to the media, and then chromecast starts streaming it from the web. Maybe they added direct device>chromecast streaming for media on your storage, but I did not follow news about that.

LordOfChaos

Yes, PS4>Router>PC, local.

Chromecast is a dumb device, your android device is just sending it "link" to the media, and then chromecast starts streaming it from the web. Maybe they added direct device>chromecast streaming for media on your storage, but I did not follow news about that.

Sorry, right, I meant to say for Plex upload specifically to it, but also to my smart TV or PS4. If things weren't dumb it would go PC - router - Chromecast/TV/PS4, but anything above my merger 5Mb upload chokes up on Plex even when it detects the PC as local. My i7 4770 should be capable of dishing out more than that.

But I guess that's a Plex thing, hopefully not a router thing (SBG6580)

Your internet speed doesn't matter if both devices are in the same LAN.

I strongly recommend to avoid WiFi though (unless it's 5 GHz/802.11ac). Wired/Ethernet and Powerline/HomePlugs are the most reliable ones.

LordOfChaos

Your internet speed doesn't matter if both devices are in the same LAN.

I strongly recommend to avoid WiFi though (unless it's 5 GHz/802.11ac). Wired/Ethernet and Powerline/HomePlugs are the most reliable ones.

I got a powerline kit for my PS4 on day...I think 5 (why is the wifi such shite sony)? lol. The other end would be wifi (I 90% like Apples decision to remove ethernet ports, except for when I don't), but at least I'm avoiding two hops and especially on the weakest point, on the PS4s wifi. The router to the laptop on the receiving end is generally strong and connects 70-117Mbps.

So I think/hope my PS4-powerline-router-laptop via wireless should be ok, we'll see tomorrow.

I've said this before, but with the app coming to more, it bears repeating: I hope Sony adds a section to the app (if it's not there already) that allows you to use PSNow locally on your PC/Mac. If Sony wants PSNow to succeed, that is one obvious way. Right now, only users of PS4/PS3/Vita/VitaTV/Select Sony Blu-Ray Players and TV/ Select Samsung Blu-Ray Players and TV/Select Sony Android phones can utilize PSNow. With PC/Mac, that number explodes to insane amounts.

Faenix1

Don't know where to ask this but:

With the lack of Win 7 support in remote play in tomorrows update, what are the chances I can get it to work anyway? I have zero desire for Win 8, and I'm undecided on Win 10.

LordOfChaos

I'm curious, some have said 540p was faster on the PS TV than 720p. Given that remote play on PC also describes 540P as default, does that possibly mean the Encoder is what's noticeably slower on 720p? Or was this situation because people were using the PS4s wifi, and PCs with better connections and a wired PS4 should be fine? Or was it the Vita/PS TVs decoder?

With the lack of Win 7 support in remote play in tomorrows update, what are the chances I can get it to work anyway? I have zero desire for Win 8, and I'm undecided on Win 10.

There's already hacked Vita Remote Play for Windows, so, already done, as that seems like almost what this is anyways. But if you want to use the official solution, just dual boot 10 and see if it's fine. If you like it upgrade to 10.

Faenix1

There's already hacked Vita Remote Play for Windows, so, already done, as that seems like almost what this is anyways. But if you want to use the official solution, just dual boot 10 and see if it's fine. If you like it upgrade to 10.

Last I checked the unofficial app cost money.

Was hoping I could use the official one to get around that.

Does anyone know if there is any way to use a mic/headset (via mini-jack on the DS4) while being on Remote Play?

I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and I want to play UC4 MP occasionally (if input lag is bearable, that is)...

Planet

The audio port on DS4 is definitely not supported on PlayStation TV, the same on PC AFAIK. The only way to get a headset to work with PS TV is Bluetooth.

Aters

I own a PS4 and a PSV and I never thought of using this although I always play my Vita at home. I was just complaining about Disgaea 5 not on PSV!

Also need this for Persona 5 since I don't want to look like an otaku in my parents' eyes (they see anything anime as otaku).

Thanks OP for this incredibly informative thread!

Top Bottom