• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

shink

I imagine the protocol is there for it just to work regardless of cross talk UNLESS it requires the same account to be sync'd and logged in between PS4/Vita. I don't think it even requires internet so I doubt that.

Hope so! Will let the launch guinea pigs test it out

KAL2006

Banned
PS3 can connect wirelessly both to router and to vita remote play. In that case, RP has priority and internet connection speed gets throttled way down.

We dont know if PS4 will support this. In any case, if you are connecting directly PS4 and Vita, its very recommended to use LAN cable for the internet connection.

Damn this is an issue, my Internet is on the ground floor and my PS4 is going to be on the 2nd floor so ethernet cable isn't an option. Hopefully the lag isn't bad.

DieH@rd

Banned
First look at Rezogun being played with Remote Play:
1454810_1015196698916gujwb.jpg

:)

DieH@rd

Banned
Blizzard has confirmed that D3 will 100% get RP support. :)

Polygon has played AC4 with RP, and they were amazed:
"...in a brief hands-on session with the PlayStation 4 version played on a PlayStation Vita via Remote Play, we could detect almost no differences in the shrunken-down handheld version of the open-world title.

...it only took the studio a few days to get Remote Play up and running — "like, half a day" to read the software development kit and then "a day or two" to remap the game's controls for the PS Vita."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5091294/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-ps4-ps-vita-remote-play

DieH@rd

I linked this thread in the polygon thread and stole a pic and the diagram for how remote play can connect

Thanks for doing great work :)

Delt31

Two questions:

1) I'm assuming the near 1 to 1 experience is when you're near your ps4 (i.e., in your house with the ps4 in the living room) as opposed to being outside or farther away?

2) If I'm going to DC and live in NY and want to remote play, I need to leave my ps4 on in my house in NY and then connect via wifi to ______ to play? If so, issue with power being on while not being home and is the experience going to be worth it assuming the wifi is good?

DieH@rd

Banned
Two questions:

1) I'm assuming the near 1 to 1 experience is when you're near your ps4 (i.e., in your house with the ps4 in the living room) as opposed to being outside or farther away?

2) If I'm going to DC and live in NY and want to remote play, I need to leave my ps4 on in my house in NY and then connect via wifi to ______ to play? If so, issue with power being on while not being home and is the experience going to be worth it assuming the wifi is good?

#1 at home it will be very very close to 1:1 experience.

#2 Whenever you shut down PS4, it goes in standby state. There is no "full shutdown". In that standby state console uses minimal ammount of power, it maintains connection with PSN so that you can command it via smarpthone to dowload games, patches are automatic, and new firmwares.

Additionaly, whenever you are away from home, if your Vita is synced to your console [both need to have same account, both to be "activated" in system settings], then you can remotely turn on your PS4 with Remote Play app on Vita. Quality of the video will depent on UPLOAD SPEED of your PS4 [via lan cable or WiFi to the router], ping between PS4 and you, quality of the WiFi router where you are, and download speed of router where you are.

After launch they will add support for game hibernation. You can start your game in NY, shut down console, get to DC and continue playing where you have left off. They have shown that in "A day with Playstation" video during TGS.

Delt31

#1 at home it will be very very close to 1:1 experience.

#2 Whenever you shut down PS4, it goes in standby state. There is no "full shutdown". In that standby state console uses minimal ammount of power, it maintains connection with PSN so that you can command it via smarpthone to dowload games, patches are automatic, and new firmwares.

Additionaly, whenever you are away from home, if your Vita is synced to your console [both need to have same account, both to be "activated" in system settings], then you can remotely turn on your PS4 with Remote Play app on Vita. Quality of the video will depent on UPLOAD SPEED of your PS4 [via lan cable or WiFi to the router], ping between PS4 and you, quality of the WiFi router where you are, and download speed of router where you are.

Very helpful thanks. Basically when I'm away, I use the remote connection on my vita (which is already connected to hotel wifi) to wake my ps4 up (assuming they're already synced) and then it would work? Quality will then depend on what you mentioned which sounds like a whole lot to get it to work properly but we'll see.

DieH@rd

Banned
Very helpful thanks. Basically when I'm away, I use the remote connection on my vita (which is already connected to hotel wifi) to wake my ps4 up (assuming they're already synced) and then it would work? Quality will then depend on what you mentioned which sounds like a whole lot to get it to work properly but we'll see.

Well, if you have good upload @ home, and good download @ hotel, the only thing that remains is the ping between DC and NY. I have no clue how much exactly that can be.

Vita in home conditions have 1-2 frames of delay, and each 33ms of internet ping will add another frame of lag [for 30fps game]. If I'm not mistaken, NY>DC is ~350km, that is well below 33ms of lag if the internet infrastructure is not shitty [the first mile and the last mile is most problematic, and router quality].

Grinchy

Banned
I play Vita mostly in bed before I go to sleep. It's blowing my mind to think that I can play PS4 games in bed before I go to sleep. This is gonna be awesome.

rezn0r

I got a Vita relatively cheap a year ago and haven't been disappointed with it... this is just an awesome bonus now

Bought a Vita today in the Radio Shack deal.

Quick question about Vita RP with PS3, not PS4: does it work with any/all PS1 Classics I've got on my PS3? I saw Castlevania Chronicles mentioned by someone recently in a RP discussion. Does each title have to have it enabled or is it a system level feature?

Hoping I could RP Final Fantasy V on my Vita at home ....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All PS1 games are playable via Remote Play from PS3, even disc-based titles, but not all digital PS1 titles run native on the Vita.

AmyS

rpdirectconnectionlpk03.png

So, I assume that with my XFINITY WiFi Gateway, I'd just use ethernet hardwired from it direct to the PS4 and have all other devices with WiFi disconnected or turned off.

I get ~28 Mbps down and ~5+ Mbps up, according to speedtest.net

Will that be good enough for Remote Play?

Dragon

Banned
rpdirectconnectionlpk03.png

So, I assume that with my XFINITY WiFi Gateway, I'd just use ethernet hardwired from it direct to the PS4 and have all other devices with WiFi disconnected or turned off.

I get ~28 Mbps down and ~5+ Mbps up, according to speedtest.net

Will that be good enough for Remote Play?

Not sure I understand this post. If you're outside your house, you won't be able to use Direct Connection, if you're inside your house, your download and upload speeds to the Interwebs won't matter.

AmyS

Not sure I understand this post. If you're outside your house, you won't be able to use Direct Connection, if you're inside your house, your download and upload speeds to the Interwebs won't matter.

I should've clarified.

I will not be away from my place, I'd only be sitting holding the Vita a few feet away from my PS4.

I'm much more interested just to see next-gen console games displayed on the handheld, rather than playing from any kind of distance.

I'm wondering how well Direct Connection would work since I still have a router..... Oh wait, it's not actually a router, it's a Gateway, so that IS my cable modem.

Think I answered my question.

AmyS

If you are near your PS4, just use direct WiFi connection.

This confused me at first, until I re-read this:

Q: What additional gear (routers, modems, cables, access points) do I need to use Remote Play at home?

A: Nothing! PS4, Vita and Vita TV have their own Wi-Fi modules for local wireless communication.

antibolo

Banned
Calling the Vita WiFi "fast" is a bit of a stretch, it only supports up to 72 megabit operating mode, and 2.4GHz only. It's a very bottom tier 802.11n radio.

Do both the Vita and PS4 need to be on the same account for local remote play to work? I was under the impressions that a friend could come over with their Vita and join in co-op, earn their own trophies etc. Is that true?

DieH@rd

Banned
Do both the Vita and PS4 need to be on the same account for local remote play to work? I was under the impressions that a friend could come over with their Vita and join in co-op, earn their own trophies etc. Is that true?

We still don't know how multiple-account Vita connection is done.

That ACIV footage looks very good; either in this case the lag was lower than in the disappointing BF4 demonstration, or more likely, it is just less noticeable in this sort of game. I'll definitely be playing a lot of this over remote play.

We still don't know how multiple-account Vita connection is done.

Just seen this in the Vita manual

Before performing these procedures, you need to do the following:
Link the PS4™ system and your system to the same Sony Entertainment Network account.
If you have an account that was created on a different device, such as a PS3™ system or a computer, you can sign in using that account.
If you are connecting the systems directly using Wi-Fi, select (Settings) > [PS Vita Connection Settings] from the PS4™ system's function screen, and then select the [Connect Directly with PS Vita] checkbox to set a checkmark.
If you are connecting the systems using a wireless access point, the systems must be connected to the same network.

So I guess you need the same account for outside the house remote play?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

DieH@rd

Banned
Most probably 1st Blizz dev did not know what he was talking about. He mentioned that Vita has different display aspect ratio. : )

Top Bottom