• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Wow, I didn't realize we will be able to play AWAY from home for remote play! This is so freakin' awesome and is seriously making me want to get my third party games on PS4 now. I really hope this helps Vita sell more systems, because it really is a sweet piece of hardware.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow, I didn't realize we will be able to play AWAY from home for remote play! This is so freakin' awesome and is seriously making me want to get my third party games on PS4 now. I really hope this helps Vita sell more systems, because it really is a sweet piece of hardware.

Yes, it supports that, but experience will be affected by the quality of your Internet infrastructure.

plainr_

It's possible, but don't set your expectations too high. Latency is still a problem the farther away you are from your home.

I look forward to trying Remote Play across the Pacific ocean soon. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Would want to test but I don't like dealing with bad connections. Would be cool to text friends and shop the store though.

Eggbok

ib1UkayUQFl6sk.gif

Will never get old LOL!

dubq

Apologies if this has been addressed, but I was curious.. This may be a noob question, but since, say when you are at home, the Vita has to use your WiFi to access the PS4 for Remote Play.. does this mean that it's using my data/bandwidth from my ISP?

shinjijai

Apologies if this has been address, but I was curious.. This may be a noob question, but since, say when you are at home, the Vita has to use your WiFi to access the PS4 for Remote Play.. does this mean that it's using my data/bandwidth from my ISP?

All the network traffic stays within your home network, and never leaves your house, so it won't affect your bandwidth.

DieH@rd

Banned
Should we start compiling a list of PS4 games that dont support remote play? Is there even any camera-based games announced for PS4 [not counting PlayRoom]?

Any chance games will have bigger text when played on vita? Been watching footage of Killzone etc and can barely see the text even at 1080p. Also as much as I like the idea of playing stuff like Bf4 on vita, it will be incredibly hard to see anything and normal ps4 players will own us every time...

DieH@rd

Banned
PlayyStation Vita user's guide.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/index.html

Seems like you don't have to do anything in PS4 to activate Remote Play, only open the app in PSVITA.

We will have to register PSVita on PS4 once. After that, Vita takes the controls. Yosp has confirmed that Vita could be used as a primary screen for PS4 (if you want to move PS4 to a place where there is no TV), but initial Remote Plat setup REQUIRES you to have hdmi TV for PS4.
edit - here, pairing process is done on PS4

Any chance games will have bigger text when played on vita? Been watching footage of Killzone etc and can barely see the text even at 1080p. Also as much as I like the idea of playing stuff like Bf4 on vita, it will be incredibly hard to see anything and normal ps4 players will own us every time...

Remote play works on principle that PS4 takes the final image, and downscales it to Vita/VitaTV rez. There will be no changes in rendering of anything.

Remote play works on principle that PS4 takes the final image, and downscales it to Vita/VitaTV rez. There will be no changes in rendering of anything.
Sure, but Sony could mandate that devs have to have an option for bigger text available in the options for this purpose

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I still wish that the redesigned newer VITA would have ditched the rear TP for a L2 / R2 instead. Would have made a lot more sense seeing how they are pushing remote play as a big thing.

DBT85

Sure, but Sony could mandate that devs have to have an option for bigger text available in the options for this purpose

I watched some gameplay bits on my Vita and didn't feel the need for a new UI for it.

I should watch that shadow fall high fps footage on it.... Oh my I need to do that.

Shame I left my charging cable at work and I'm not back till Thursday lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm glad the manual clarifies that you can connect directly or through a WAP. The big FAQ they released seemed to imply it was done only through a WAP.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There's no way my upload speed will be good enough for playing away from home. That makes it a bit easier for me to hold off on buying a PS4.

Amazing feature, though. They really should have a PS4 + Vita bundle.

jamsy

Question - does anyone know if it would be possible to play PS4 games with a Vita without the console being hooked up to a TV? ie - booting straight onto the Vita

repeater

Question - does anyone know if it would be possible to play PS4 games with a Vita without the console being hooked up to a TV? ie - booting straight onto the Vita
This has been answered on the very same page. :) Quoting here:
We will have to register PSVita on PS4 once. After that, Vita takes the controls. Yosp has confirmed that Vita could be used as a primary screen for PS4 (if you want to move PS4 to a place where there is no TV), but initial Remote Plat setup REQUIRES you to have hdmi TV for PS4.
edit - here, pairing process is done on PS4

jamsy

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies.

I currently don't have a TV since I'm moving around, but this would be an amazing feature for me personally.

Guymelef

I've played Rayman Legends on my PS3 through my Vita without touching the PS3. What am I misunderstanding here?

You must turn on your PS3 with Remote Start and then play the game.
If the PS3 is already on and you want to start using Remote Play you have to go to Network -> Remote Play in PS3 and then start remote play app in PS Vita.

DieH@rd

Banned
If the PS3 is already on and you want to start using Remote Play you have to go to Network -> Remote Play in PS3 and then start remote play app in PS Vita.

So I presume for that you need to exit the PS3 game? Or you can do that inside game's mini XMB?

With PS4, RemotePlay can be activated at all times, which is great.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ok now I get you haha.

Well that is a fantastic feature. Didn't really give it much thought until now but it's perfect. Just like the WiiU I presume.

I noticed this video in the PS4 Taiwan thread. It shows the interaction from launching the PS4 link app to actually playing. Seems fairly quick.

It seems like you can just use the Vita as a monitor too! So you can use the PS4 controller and just have the video playing on the Vita if you're going to be playing for a while and you wouldn't have to compromise on control scheme either!

curb

Banned
It seems like you can just use the Vita as a monitor too! So you can use the PS4 controller and just have the video playing on the Vita if you're going to be playing for a while and you wouldn't have to compromise on control scheme either!

I thought that was interesting. I was hoping that when the presenter picked up the DS4 again that we'd see what the Vita did. The fact that it kept displaying what the PS4 was doing shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

Top Bottom