• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

RaikuHebi

Banned
I wonder what the minimum upload speed would be needed over the internet? I tested current gen remote play over it and it was awful. I would update to fibre optic just for smooth remote play.

But then game switching is out of the question since I'm not going all-digital. Decisions, decisions...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So you can't livestream a game when using remote play. What about the other functions of the share button? Can you still save and upload gameplay clips when using Vita remote play?

I absolutely freaking adore the possibilities when it comes to coop.
I want Namco to put a version of Pac-Man VS on PSN that uses Vita if this feature takes off. In fact, Sony should toss some money at projects like that in order to help entice core consumers in these early days.

I'm looking forward to being able to Remote Play FFXIV the most. Being able to craft or fish while on my lunch break at work sounds amazing.

MDSLKTR

Yosp has confirmed that single screen couch coop games can be played on both PS4 and Vita/VitaTV via Remote play at the same time.

9Ku4.jpg

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/381235215558914048

Before this we knew that 4 Vita's can grab one video stream from PS4 and play that game in coop [lets say Rayman]. Now we know that PS4 is also a part of that equation.

I wonder if this could apply to diablo ps4 edition and have two players that are not bound to the screen area and that have their own menus on their respective screen. I really hope so.

BigDug13

I wonder if this could apply to diablo ps4 edition and have two players that are not bound to the screen area and that have their own menus on their respective screen. I really hope so.

Blizzard would have to patch that in. You would both still be sharing the same image as if you were both looking at the TV.

johnny956

I wonder what the minimum upload speed would be needed over the internet? I tested current gen remote play over it and it was awful. I would update to fibre optic just for smooth remote play.

But then game switching is out of the question since I'm not going all-digital. Decisions, decisions...

Depends on how well the video stream is compressed and such. I stream video from my media pc at home to work. 4mbps upload at home and quality is pretty good on my iPad so I'm hoping there is a auto/manual option when it comes to quality settings. I know that's the case currently on the PS3/Vita remote play but they don't tell you what each setting requires.

Possum

Alright, here's a scenario:

I live in Central Florida, and I'm visiting Manhattan in November. So say I decide to play my PS4 games on my PS Vita via Remote Play; is that even within the realm of possibility?

Dragon

Banned

I live in Central Florida, and I'm visiting Manhattan in November. So say I decide to play my PS4 games on my PS Vita via Remote Play; is that even within the realm of possibility?

Depending on your upload speed in Central Florida and the speed of your connection in Manhattan. If you're staying in hotel I wouldn't count on it, hotel internets are notoriously shitty.

If I were you I'd make sure to set the DMZ to the PS4 on the router level. We don't yet know what ports are needed I don't believe. I had trouble before I did that with my ps3.

Skeff

Yea, It just depends how good your internet connection. As long aas your router isn't blocking it then it will work, but with lag dependent on your connection.

btkadams

Q: Can I play 2-4 coop game with one player on the PS4 and rest on Vita/VitaTV?
A: Yes.

guys, i have a question about this. consider the following situation. my friend gets a coop platformer like knack for his ps4 and wants me to play with him. i'm away from my house and only have my vita. am i able to connect to his ps4 directly and play coop with him while he plays on his ps4?

Skeff

guys, i have a question about this. consider the following situation. my friend gets a coop platformer like knack for his ps4 and wants me to play with him. i'm away from my house and only have my vita. am i able to connect to his ps4 directly and play coop with him while he plays on his ps4?

As long as you have previously paired your Vita with his system, yes.

I could never get the Vita to Remote Play with my PS3 outside of my home so im somewhat concerned about getting the ps4 to work out of the home, too. I can easily stream videos from my laptop at my home over to my ipad just about anywhere and im running Tomato firmware on my router so I know it's not an issue with my network.

satam55

Banned
Does anyone know how the PS4 only having 2.4 GHz WiFi will affect remote play/2nd screen with the PS Vita & the PS App on iOS & Android devices compared to the Wii U (Wii U GamePad) & Xbox1 (Smartglass) that have Dualband (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi?

ps4 is so small i'd just bring it with me lol.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its nice to see that Sony is promoting Remote Play on official game covers [just below the 49GB install info]:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXXVX-AIcAAlQAP.jpg:large

have they clarified how that pairing would work? he lives in another city (pretend lag doesn't exist), so i wouldn't exactly be able to plug my vita into his ps4.

Pairing HAS to be preformed in the WiFi range of PS4. You have to be beside it.

This would be great if it wasn't for my 2mb upload :(

Your Internet speeds is irrelevant if you are gonna use Remote Play in the WiFi range of your PS4 or home router. But if you go outside of the hjouse... no RP for you [and me, i have 0.8mbit upload T_T]

Mrcapcom

Second most exciting feature about ps4, after suspend mode.

Ps4 and wii u are great for a parent of two small kids.

Like hearing this espcially since I have 5 kids and I'm going to get a wii u so when they want to watch tv or w/e i don't have to leave the room and play my games

Do we know how it will work with PSN accounts? If i have an EU account assigned to my vita and I have some digital games on a US account on my PS4, can I access them via remote play or can I only play the stuff that's on the same profile as the Vita?

Joeki11a

Banned
I need to see that to believe it, so if I am at my cousin house upstate on his 50/50 Fios, I can turn on Remote Play with Vita and play my PS4 games?.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I need to see that to believe it, so if I am at my cousin house upstate on his 50/50 Fios, I can turn on Remote Play with Vita and play my PS4 games?.
Yes, or with a Vita TV you can stream it to his TV. This has also been possible since 2006 with select PS3 games or most of them with a hacked console since 2010. Although of course the PS4 is much more optimised for Remote Play than PS3 was.

tmespe

Man this feature is so awsome. I live with a few other people so this is perfect for when somone else wants to use the TV, or just when I want to be alone and play in my room. The coop stuff looks cool as well. Hope it works on most games.

lucius

I got a question not in OP, If I leave the option to turn on PS3 directly from Vita so I could start remote play, the PS3 always left the fans on running when it was in standby in low power state(still pretty annoying at nite), is this still the case with PS4 that the fans will always run on low if you want the option to start and access the PS4 for remote play direct from Vita?

johnny956

I do this with my PS3/Vita now. PS3 at home, Vita at work. Just played Shadow of the Colossus that way. It's playable but laggy and I expect it to be better with the PS4 due to the dedicated hardware involved.

DieH@rd

Banned
I got a question not in OP, If I leave the option to turn on PS3 directly from Vita so I could start remote play, the PS3 always left the fans on running when it was in standby in low power state(still pretty annoying at nite), is this still the case with PS4 that the fans will always run on low if you want the option to start and access the PS4 for remote play direct from Vita?

PS4 has a much better low power mode, in which it will totally shut down main APU and memory [it will leave them enough power just to not loose data they are holding] and main fan. The entire operation of PS4 then is taken over by secondary lowpowered background chip that is monitoring the internet, wifi, and has access to the HDD. That secondary chip will update your games, download you games [when you buy them via the smartphone/PC browser/Vita], and it will start up PS4 when you request it via Vita Remote Play.

So... Every time when you shutdown PS4 it will emit zero noise [maybe HDD a little when it is its unpacking/installing some package], core OS services remain active, things are happening, waiting for your input. You can only get full shutdown if you pull the power plug from the wall. :D

Btw, thanks for noticing that this is missing from OP. I will add it in the FAQ.

lucius

PS4 has a much better low power mode, in which it will totally shut down main APU and memory [it will leave them enough power just to not loose data they are holding] and main fan. The entire operation of PS4 then is taken over by secondary lowpowered background chip that is monitoring the internet, wifi, and has access to the HDD. That secondary chip will update your games, download you games [when you buy them via the smartphone/PC browser/Vita], and it will start up PS4 when you request it via Vita Remote Play.

So... Every time when you shutdown PS4 it will emit zero noise [maybe HDD a little when it is its unpacking/installing some package], core OS services remain active, things are happening, waiting for your input. You can only get full shutdown if you pull the power plug from the wall. :D

Btw, thanks for noticing that this is missing from OP. I will add it in the FAQ.

Wow thanks I had no idea, I really liked being able to start remote play without turning on the TV and selecting it from PS3, but that fan noise even on low was constantly on, sounds impressive how PS4 is gonna handle all that background stuff in a much better way.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow thanks I had no idea, I really liked being able to start remote play without turning on the TV and selecting it from PS3, but that fan noise even on low was constantly on, sounds impressive how PS4 is gonna handle all that background stuff in a much better way.

BTW, PS3 and PS4 have support for awaking your turned off HDTV, or even switching a input from watching TV to PS4 feed! :) That is a basic feature of the HDMI standard, it will not work only on some old TVs.

BadRNG

Do we know how it will work with PSN accounts? If i have an EU account assigned to my vita and I have some digital games on a US account on my PS4, can I access them via remote play or can I only play the stuff that's on the same profile as the Vita?
Curious about this too. I use both my US and JPN accounts on Vita, and having to switch/re-pair another set of devices would be annoying.

It'd be amazing if it could pair to the individual Vita and just use the PS4's active account, but that's likely a pipe dream. (Just as big a pipe dream as giving us multiple accounts on a Vita apparently.)

The same people who play on the Wii U's gamepad?

I think he meant the fact that you have to use a dedicated connection with no interfering devices for the best experience. Im curious to know as well, because who will actually have two connections, one for ps4 and the other one for everything else?

hey guys, quick question. So I got remote play to work and turn on the PS3 inside my network. but outside of my network, I can only initiate remote play if the ps3 has been turned on and in remote play mode.

Basically, does your ps3 turn on over the internetzzzz?

(not that I'd want to play it, it's steaming dog shit over the internet the one time I tried)

Really hoping this works well over the internet. I travel a bit so being able to stream to my Vita or maybe even a Vita TV would be awesome.

BTW, PS3 and PS4 have support for awaking your turned off HDTV, or even switching a input from watching TV to PS4 feed! :) That is a basic feature of the HDMI standard, it will not work only on some old TVs.
Yeah. My PS3 will switch the input if I turn it on when the TV is already on, but it won't turn on the TV if I turn on the console when the TV is off. Guess my TV is a little too old to have this HDMI standard.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah. My PS3 will switch the input if I turn it on when the TV is already on, but it won't turn on the TV if I turn on the console when the TV is off. Guess my TV is a little too old to have this HDMI standard.

My PS3 can turn both turning on the TV and changing of the input if its already on. During shutdown, it can turn off TV. Shame there is no option to return TV in previous input when the console is shutting down. Im using HDTV as a PC monitor also.

Anyhow....
W3m1A7.gif

:)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My PS3 can turn both turning on the TV and changing of the input if its already on. During shutdown, it can turn off TV. Shame there is no option to return TV in previous input when the console is shutting down. Im using HDTV as a PC monitor also.

Anyhow....
W3m1A7.gif

:)

The 'doesn't return to last input used' is annoying. If it did that, it would be perfect. Turn on my Ps3, TV turns on, changes input on my receiver, can navigate the XMB with my TV remote. All fantastic

FeiRR

Banned
It all depends on hardware. My fat couldn't do that. My slim does it without any problem but it won't shut down TV (it has a timer tough and a motion sensor so it will turn off after some time). TV also switches back to my PC if it's turned on.

Sneaking suspicion my home internet plan will need an upgrade this gen between console streaming services and digital download sizes.

Top Bottom