• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

jwk94

PS3 remote play is officially supported on Sony Vaio laptops [edit- i originally wrote tablets :-/].
[i think there is also unofficial way to use it on any Windows PC]

ps3-remote-play-20100618-600.jpg

You can also pair DS3 with those laptops.

can you play games?

Fiveshift

Neo Member
It's decided.

PS Vita will be my first mobile gaming platform and I'm 28. I kinda wanted one anyway because I travel a lot for work now but this feature sealed the deal on the Vita.

So do you think I can hold out till Black Friday for a good deal and still secure an OLED version or should I pull the trigger sooner?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's decided.

PS Vita will be my first mobile gaming platform and I'm 28. I kinda wanted one anyway because I travel a lot for work now but this feature sealed the deal on the Vita.

So do you think I can hold out till Black Friday for a good deal and still secure an OLED version or should I pull the trigger sooner?

Are you a PS+ subscriber? If so, do it soon so you get more games I would say.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sony need to release a Vita XL. That has a 6 inch screen, full clickable analogs, and R2/L2. It should also have a bigger battery due to the larger size as well as being able to use it as a PS4 controller as it will have all the inputs.

I'd buy it in a hearbeat if remote play is good.
Oh god no thank you. I can't even imagine the ergonomics behind a monster like that. Not to mention the severe fragmentation that would bring out. If works for the DS because it's just a bigger form factor.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's decided.

Non-OLED vita is announced only for Japan, and they will be sold only after ~ mid-October.

As for timing of the purchase, that's your choice. What I would recommend to you is to think about purchasing PS+ right now if you dont have one already. A lot of good Vita games are currently offered in Instant Game Collection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Game_Collection#2013_3

Oni Jazar

#1 Yes
#2 WiFi Direct is just a marketing term [its not a hardware feature, its software]. PS3 can connect directly to Vita, and then with much lower priority also talk with Internet router [for full internet speed, LAN cable is highly recommended).

For sources... Nobody has PS4 yet, so no sources. Everything we know is from Remote Play that was introduced 6+ years ago on PS3, and Sony did not showed any intention to change its operation. Everything that worked on PS3 is present on PS4, only now it works much better. As for the nature of WiFi Direct, go read first 2-3 pages of this thread, one Gaffer posted info.

I don't think you can just assume that because the PS3/PSP remote play had direct access the PS4/Vita remote play will be the same. As you said that was implemented 6 years ago. I was hoping for evidence more concrete than precedence. Not saying it's not true, just wanted word from Sony.

DBT85

I don't think you can just assume that because the PS3/PSP remote play had direct access the PS4/Vita remote play will be the same. As you said that was implemented 6 years ago. I was hoping for evidence more concrete than precedence. Not saying it's not true, just wanted word from Sony.

It'll be able to connect directly to the PS4. I don't have a fact sheet for you, it just going to be able to do it and it would be utterly utterly backwards for them to stop doing it as it would prohibit anyone without a router from using the feature.

Read da OP. This is really old news, and it's been confirmed.

coolasj19

This was posted before.

We have gaffer who played Vita remote play on TGS showfloor, and WiFI router was right beside him. He thinks USB cable was there only for power.
Okay. Thought so. Just thought maybe this guy did something no one else knew.

Read my first post. I need a source other then "da OP".
Fair enough. But I'm pretty sure yosp and several other Sony folks have talked about it plenty.

Guess we'll have to wait until all of the hardware is released out into the wild before we know for sure how well it works. I'm already getting the sense that people won't believe this until they try it for themselves. We will have people here doubting it well into 2014, I'll bet. I'm skeptical myself, but mainly only about the over-the-web play.

CraZed

Digging this thread. As a long time user of remote play via PSP/PS3 I am looking forward to seeing what the PSVita/PS4 can do.

Remote play on the PSP/PS3 never manifested into much more than a laggy headache filled product what with router issues and poor network performance etc. so with Gaikai and the dedicated hardware packed into both of the newer hardware I am hoping this will work much better this time around.

Thanks for putting together the thread as it has me pumped for some PS4/Vita remote play!

nib95

Banned
Amazing OP, those GIFs at the end! Anyway, will probably pick up a Vita later this year partly for this, partly for the games.

This was posted before.

We have gaffer who played Vita remote play on TGS showfloor, and WiFI router was right beside him. He thinks USB cable was there only for power.

To be perfectly honest the far bigger controversy in that case would be that TV out from a PSV via a cable is entirely possible

Obviously doesn't look to be the case

QP3

Woah, awesome thread.

Did not know (or even consider) operating PS4 OS from Vita, streaming other streams to your vita, etc. So cool.

Is there any reason why I can't remote play via the Internet from my girlfriends house? It never connects. I've gone so far as to set my ps3 up with a static ip and have port forwarded some ports and everything. It works fine at home when I use the Internet option, btw

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any reason why I can't remote play via the Internet from my girlfriends house? It never connects. I've gone so far as to set my ps3 up with a static ip and have port forwarded some ports and everything. It works fine at home when I use the Internet option, btw

Did you tried to connect to your PS3 from any other location?

coolasj19

To be perfectly honest the far bigger controversy in that case would be that TV out from a PSV via a cable is entirely possible

Obviously doesn't look to be the case

That's what the mystery port is. Apparently there was an interview with a Japanese Sony Engineer and he said the Vita has a scaler in it. I'm on mobile so I'm not gonna go digging for the link right now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's what the mystery port is. Apparently there was an interview with a Japanese Sony Engineer and he said the Vita has a scaler in it. I'm on mobile so I'm not gonna go digging for the link right now.

Pretty sure this was debunked.

coolasj19

Pretty sure this was debunked.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82984001&postcount=105
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/20130919_616138.html

PlayStation Vita/Vita TV 開発者インタビュー
Interview with the PlayStation Vita/Vita TV developers

--Vita TVの映像出力解像度は?
What's the output relosution of Vita TV?

島田:1080i(インタレース)ですね。ゲームとしては元々964×544です。
Shimada: 1080i. Games are originally rendered at 964x544.

実は既存のVitaにもスケーラーは入っています。964×544のものを引き延ばして表示することもあります。ビデオなどは問題を生みやすいので、720pのフォーマットなら720pで流す、といったことをしています。
In fact, the original Vita (handheld) is equipped with a scaler. Sometimes images are even stretched from 964×544. For video contents, which tend to have problems, it goes 720p for 720p sources.

--新しく特別なスケーラーを乗せたわけでない、と?
So it's nothing new or special when it comes to the scaler.

島田:はい。今回は。
Shimada: No, not this time.

This was debunked?

EDIT : Re-reading this. I'm not exactly sure what this is saying.

BibiMaghoo

PS3 remote play is officially supported on Sony Vaio laptops [edit- i originally wrote tablets :-/].
[i think there is also unofficial way to use it on any Windows PC]

You can also pair DS3 with those laptops.

I have a Vaio that can do this, but none of them allow a pairing for a DS3. Instead Sony give software for remote keyboard, that is the only means of controlling remote play without unofficial drivers.

whitehawk

Banned
I have a Vaio that can do this, but none of them allow a pairing for a DS3. Instead Sony give software for remote keyboard, that is the only means of controlling remote play without unofficial drivers.
If Sony releases official drivers, and releases a remote play app for laptops + tablets, it could be very successful. Vita remote play is great, but it would be better to pair a DS4 with a tablet and play that way.

coolasj19

If Sony releases official drivers, and releases a remote play app for laptops + tablets, it could be very successful. Vita remote play is great, but it would be better to pair a DS4 with a tablet and play that way.
I'm sure if there are no DS4 drivers at launch the fanbase will gather around and yell and scream at poor ole' Yoshida-san. I'd love to buy a second DS4 and dedicate it solely to PC gaming.

Exactly lol....

Damn. Always do your research kids.

Yes, yosp mentioned it in his tweets few months ago.

Btw, I've added few new FAQ questions in OP covering newly discovered stuff.

Amazing. That's bigger news then everything else they'd showed so far on PS4 remote play.

I thought it was going to work pretty much like the previous remote play, only with better quality/less delay.

Hey, with the direct connection from PS4 to PSV does it matter if you have and how good your WiFi connection is? I'm moving out in about 2-3 months and I'm not sure if there's good wireless internet where I'm moving to.. But it's a great feature, which I see myself using pretty frequently.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hey, with the direct connection from PS4 to PSV does it matter if you have and how good your WiFi connection is? I'm moving out in about 2-3 months and I'm not sure if there's good wireless internet where I'm moving to.. But it's a great feature, which I see myself using pretty frequently.

Both PS4 and Vita have their own WiFi modules. You can connect them directly without the use home WiFi router. Look at diagrams in OP.

You can use Remote Play when you dont have connection to the Internet.

coolasj19

I absolutely freaking adore the possibilities when it comes to coop.
Sony is dumping tons of effort into this. Surprises me. It kinda makes me sad my PS4 is bundled with a Killzone disc. I'd rather buy it digitally now =/.

Vita devkits have HDMI out.
Yeah, I think they could've given us a cable. But, there's a reason I'm not all torn up about it. I had a TV Out for my PSP, it was one of the most abysmal playing experiences I've ever had. That meter of cable gets taken up fast and you're still playing on your TV with a portable, there's a mindshare confliction, and it's uncomfortable. I wonder how it would've impacted VTV sales. I think it would've resulted in a lot of, why get a VTV when I "could" get a Vita and a cable. Resulting in a lot of non-action.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It has an option for Direct connection? I can see it working just fine like that!

I wouldn't expect to play games in any enjoyable way at the airport or at your local café anytime soon though

Wondering if this will work with the latest BT Homehub available, I have my own Cisco router which it works fine with, however with the BT Sport channels being over the internet I need to have the homehub involved in my network to receive them. Hostirically up to HH3 this hasn't ever worked with remote play. I've not got the HH4 to try, but I'm doubting BT fixed anything.

broony

Great thread.

I am guessing as my ps4 will be in my loft man cave and I'm mostly going to be playing remotely two floors down that I will have to go via my router on the middle floor rather than directly between the consoles. Hopefully that doesn't increase the lag too much.

Skeff

Great thread.

I am guessing as my ps4 will be in my loft man cave and I'm mostly going to be playing remotely two floors down that I will have to go via my router on the middle floor rather than directly between the consoles. Hopefully that doesn't increase the lag too much.

Yes a Router would likely be the better connection in that case, the Lag should still be fine for the Majority of games.

Top Bottom