• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report Claims iPhone 8 Will Launch in October (and the iPhone SE, 7S, and 7S+)

Malyse

Apple could be gearing up to launch four new iPhones later this year, if a report published Wednesday is accurate. Alongside the iPhone 8, the premium smartphone is expected to bring a radical redesign to Apple’s product line, and the company may also announce an update to the 4-inch iPhone SE. If accurate, this could mean the company will launch four smartphones at the end of this year: the 8, the SE, and the previously-rumored iPhone 7S and 7S Plus.

The report from iGeneration (translated by 9to5Mac from French) claims the SE would go on sale for €399 ($462), which would represent an €80 ($93) discount from the current 32 GB model. Few have tried to claim that Apple would introduce a new version of the device, which first went on sale in March 2016.

A new version of the SE would likely follow a similar pattern to the previous phone. The device looks almost identical to the iPhone 5S, which first launched in September 2013, but it includes the same internal processor as the iPhone 6S. It also features the rear camera, Apple Pay, always-on Siri, and Live Photos found in the more expensive model. An updated version of the SE could offer similar features and performance as the iPhone 7 or rumored 7S model but in the smaller 4-inch package.
https://www.inverse.com/article/34356-report-iphone-8-october-launch-but-with-a-twist

Not really a big fan of this. Three models is going to confuse the consumer.

And they doing this so they can price the iPhone 8 very high.

Lo-Volt

What's unclear to me from that is whether or not the second-generation SE would have a new chassis or if it would be riding in aesthetic language going on 5 years old? (Ignoring the question of whether or not the site is reliable.)

Bronx-Man

Banned
Dang, I was really hoping the 8 was launching in September. Now I gotta wait a whole three months to replace my Galaxy S6 :/

They need to just get rid of the number and go to the "iPhone" and " iPhone Pro" line up similar to what they did with the iPad.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not really a big fan of this. Three models is going to confuse the consumer.

And they doing this so they can price the iPhone 8 very high.
I don't think it will. We already have two options, now we'll have the same and another high end model. Three things isn't too much really, especially as Apple marketing will kick in to separate the higher and lower tier phones.

Fuchsdh

They need to just get rid of the number and go to the "iPhone" and " iPhone Pro" line up similar to what they did with the iPad.

Doesn't work if they're still selling the old versions of the device for a discount, though.

I'd be surprised if the SE gets updated the same time as the other models. The whole surprise of the device was that it contained the exact same internals (minus some camera stuff) of the 6S, but in a smaller chassis that cost way less... but it also came out months later. Why would Apple hurt their ASP releasing it at the same time? It's also no longer a simple given it'll keep the 5S's chassis still, although I think the thickness is still perfect (until we get our paper-thin flexy phones.)

Socivol

Hopefully it doesn't looks like those renders floating around. Samsung's design aesthetic has been shitting on Apple's for a few years now which is shocking to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think my iPhone 5 will make it to October D;

Let alone what wave of shipments I will end up actually getting the phone..

Mookee

What's unclear to me from that is whether or not the second-generation SE would have a new chassis or if it would be riding in aesthetic language going on 5 years old? (Ignoring the question of whether or not the site is reliable.)

They better not change the chassis. The 5/5S/SE form factor is the most perfect cell phone body ever created. It's a fact of the universe!

Etzer

Not sure how many devices there'll be, but there's a launch happening soon and it's apparently "the biggest launch ever". You'll get $100 credit toward accessories at an AT&T Authorized Retailer when you buy a new iPhone at launch, btw. Today's the day we were supposed to start telling people about it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand what Apple is going to do with launching both the 8 and the 7S this year. While the 8 will have a new design, is it going to have the same chips as the 7S, meaning that the jump from 7S to 8 will not be a power jump? What will next year's phones be called? 8S and they'll all be based on this redesign? Or will Apple continue to have multiple pricing tiers that span two generations, making the 8 the cheap model next year and the 8S the expensive one?

I'm very curious to see how Apple handles generations going forward.

I don't know how they're going to place iphone 8 at the top of the range if all it has is a bezel-less screen and a lame me-too location for the fingerprint sensor. Jony Ive's voice is not gonna help this time. They're going to need Morgan Freeman.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't really understand what Apple is going to do with launching both the 8 and the 7S this year. While the 8 will have a new design, is it going to have the same chips as the 7S, meaning that the jump from 7S to 8 will not be a power jump? What will next year's phones be called? 8S and they'll all be based on this redesign? Or will Apple continue to have multiple pricing tiers that span two generations, making the 8 the cheap model next year and the 8S the expensive one?

I'm very curious to see how Apple handles generations going forward.
I think this year is unique because of the 10 year anniversary

Certinty

Get rid of the bezel on the SE and give me 7S internals and I'll buy it.

I like my 7 but I have to say the SE was by far the best phone I've ever had.

The S8+ is the greatest phone ever made

giphy.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What's the point of making a 7S and an 8? Like seriously if you can afford a 7S I see no point in not getting the superior product, like come on.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What's the point of making a 7S and an 8? Like seriously if you can afford a 7S I see no point in not getting the superior product, like come on.

What if the 8 is $300-$500 more?

Not saying it'll be worth that, but some rumors were saying it'll be quite the premium.

The 7s and 7s+ don't exist otherwise they would be just as rumored and leaked as the 8. The SE will probably get updated in Spring like the last one.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What if the 8 is $300-$500 more?

Not saying it'll be worth that, but some rumors were saying it'll be quite the premium.
Honestly, that would be quite the upsale. People already buy Apple products because they expect premium. I would love to see the marketing and pr behind it. After all they said last year themselves how "brave" they were by removing the head phone jack.

sikkinixx

The stuff Gruber and Snell have been talking about, that these iPhone 8 will be crazy expansive as they can't make them at the scale they need tofor a mainstream iPhone, kinda bums me out. My 6 is dying but I kept holding off to get the 8, but if the $1000+USD price tag is true I can't justify that. Oh well. See what happens.

goodfella

Honestly, that would be quite the upsale. People already buy Apple products because they expect premium. I would love to see the marketing and pr behind it. After all they said last year themselves how "brave" they were by removing the head phone jack.

I can see them going with some sort of "No Compromises" theme.

The stuff Gruber and Snell have been talking about, that these iPhone 8 will be crazy expansive as they can't make them at the scale they need tofor a mainstream iPhone, kinda bums me out. My 6 is dying but I kept holding off to get the 8, but if the $1000+USD price tag is true I can't justify that. Oh well. See what happens.

That's the real trouble, iPhone 6 to 7s are all going to have essentially the same design. That's 4 generations of phones, with no obvious reason to upgrade.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no doubt the iPhone 8 will be at least £100 more than the 7S+. no chance would i pay £800-1,000 for a phone. of course, it's apple so it will sell like crazy no matter the price.

i think i might just wait for next year before considering an iphone again. at this point Google is my last hope. not a fan of the S8.

I mean i was interested in upgrading my SE to an 8 if i liked the form factor and features (waterproof and wireless charging PLEASE) but if they do an updated SE that has most features? well shit i'll be staying with this form for a while

I'm glad they're iterating on the SE. I want to upgrade from my 6+ soon, and have been saving myself for the 8/Pro, but I've also been considering upgrading to an SE, and probably wouldn't if it remained a small 6S.

With the iPhone 8 coming, I am not really sure there will be much of a market for an iPhone 7S+ (unless the 8 is a huge jump in price). They really should just release:

iPhone 7S
iPhone 7S Mini (rolling the SE into the main line up)
iPhone Edition/8 (this model offering the larger screen size from reducing the bezels)

Then next year they can roll out updated iPhone 8s with the new design across the range.

iPhone Mini (iPhone SE size but with the new design to accommodate a larger screen)
iPhone
Also offering this years iPhone 8 and iPhone 7S Mini as budget options.

br3wnor

Really hope the SE refresh is true, mine is still doing great but I was worried there wouldn't be a newer option when this one finally shits out. Of course if the 8 has the bezeless screen and really blows me a way I'll consider it but I just love the size of the SE and hate whenever I have to use my wife's 7.

Top Bottom