• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Indiana Jones and the Great Circle launches this December, Avowed in November

StereoVsn

I really wish I could get excited about Indiana Jones, but...

9ZZZ4aM.jpeg
Yep, I have 0 expectations for Indy and about same for Avowed. I really hope I am wrong.

If they come out at same or worse quality than Starfield it will really be the quad release starting with Redfall.

Hell, throw in Forza 7 in there and you ge the line up of deplorables! 😉

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, they did. The environment visuals changed drastically from the original teaser and I recall seeing lots of complaints about that. I being one of them.

That's more of an artistic / tonal change in the game though, not something like the environments looking bad / low quality etc.

* Also that original Skyrim-like trailer was most likely just a target render, not running anything real-time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks decent but not a technical dark horse showcase

It's a modern game running the full gamut of UE5 features (Nanite, Lumen, Unreal's virtual shadow maps - per DF), something very few developers have done so far.

You may very well be right that the art style may put you off, but they're definitely not skimping on the tech side.

Last edited:
Better lineup than last year. That december date for Indiana Jones is totally going to be delayed to 2025 though.
It seems weird to have 3 major releases within 2 months of each other. The pessimist in me feels like Phil Spencer is doing everything possible to sell as many consoles and Gamepass subscriptions this holiday as means to stop them from going fully Multi-platform. One last chance to prove his strategy is working

Last edited:
It looks decent but not a technical dark horse showcase
I think all he means is that most people seem to be thinking Avowed is going to look like a PS1 game so they may be surprised when they see it. The environments look like the kind of stock stuff you'd see in an Unreal 5 demo. Not the best ever, but pretty good. Showcasing nanite on the rocks clearly. People will apparently be shocked since they can't just watch the trailer and see it.

Characters look weird though, but that isn't surprising. Most of the budget for AAA goes to faces and that kind of realistic animation they are probably skipping for this. I still say this is a AA game.

Honestly, Bethesda needs to make a spin-off like this in Unreal and try it out. This could be the start of Obsidian building their own RPG tools in Unreal, which is a great thing.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean, this is Obsidian. They're a AA studio. This is the best looking environments they've ever made by a large margin. I don't think they're Naughty Dog or anything, but this looks great for Obsidian.

Characters and magic effects look rough.
The environments have a "we hired this man" look to them, but yea they're the best part of the showing. The whole package does look rough though. Including the story parts, they're actually worse than I remember lol.

Well, that was quite a while ago, and this is where crunch comes in. When they signed up to be videogame developers, it would reasonably be expected that there would be crunch near the shipping deadline.
Buckle up ladies......get ready for some 18 hour days!!!
Yea this is true.

Alan Wake

Pretty decent year for MS. Those 2018 purchases of Ninja Theory and Obsidian took 6 years to bear fruit but they are going to have 3 AAA first party games this year after 3 last year which is as consistent as Ive ever seen from MS first party.
We don't know how good these games will be though.

Buggy Loop

That is not what I would call "phenomenal." The story part they showed also looked stupid.

How do you present a cRPG story in like a quick chat in a random quest though, how do we take anything away from that?

I want the game to be good. I'm not trying to be a hater. It just didn't look like it was going to be ready for 2024, although I suppose they could squeeze it in on December 13th or whatever if they feel it's ready.

I dunno I thought Pillars of Eternity looked good.

I had a comparison with the screenshots of Avowed compared to Pillars of Eternity and it is literally PoE in 3D. Links are dead now and I'm too lazy to bother. But it's really PoE imo.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Obviously all these games are going to release on PlayStation. They might not do old games like Halo Shitfinite (although, why not), but they also aren't going to stop at Sea of Thieves.

It seems weird to have 3 major releases within 2 months of each other. The pessimist in me feels like Phil Spencer is doing everything possible to sell as many consoles and Gamepass subscriptions this holiday as means to stop them from going fully Multi-platform. One last chance to prove his strategy is working
I think it is just timing.
After Hellblade 2, what's their next big release?

I think it is just timing.
After Hellblade 2, what's their next big release?
That is kind of my point. Unless Microsoft has too many games coming out in 2025, it would seem kind of silly not to delay either Avowed or Indy. Microsoft should not want 4-5 month droughts on their subscription service. And releasing 3 games within a month of one another seems like bad business for a subscription model

That is kind of my point. Unless Microsoft has too many games coming out in 2025,
Im mean, MS should ve too many games coming out since 2021. a consistent release cadence
it would seem kind of silly not to delay either Avowed or Indy. Microsoft should not want 4-5 month droughts on their subscription service.
I get what you are saying but for example: From Forza in October to May with Hellbalde 2 that's 7 months. i don't think there is some kind of strategy. When you think about it. RedFall, Starfield and forza where released too early. Strarfield clearly needed another 6 months and Forza even an extra year.

And releasing 3 games within a month of one another seems like bad business for a subscription model
It's going to be very interesting what kind of reception Hellblade 2 gets. because MS is dealing with a quality and cadence problem. Sony just had 4 games this quarter. Thats how MS should be operating right now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cyberpunk (and Avatar for what it's worth) were December games.

They're likely going to miss out on The Game Awards but like you said, I doubt they care that much. They probably want a good game out, not a rushed one, to avoid criticism.

Why not push it back to February 2025 and make it 10% better?

Diddy X

Not interested in either so far, Indy should have been 3rd person and Avowed looked bad both in gameplay and visually.

StueyDuck

i hope for obsidians sake that avowed ends up decent. but they have been on a bit of a downwards trajectory for me for while now with stick of truth being the only really stand out title of theirs.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Hope MS will delay both. Avowed is not something to write home about in it's current form, and for Indy even if it's ready (and I doubt that in all honesty) - December is a bad release window for AAA title to make a splash.

Last edited:

Bridges

It's Obsidian. They NEVER made a good looking game of their existence.
Completely untrue.

Just off the top of my head: South Park: The Stick of Truth looks PERFECT for what it is trying to replicate. Few games can be so close to the source material.

Also Pentiment is completely beautiful in motion and a very unique art style for the medium.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I mean, this is Obsidian. They're a AA studio. This is the best looking environments they've ever made by a large margin. I don't think they're Naughty Dog or anything, but this looks great for Obsidian. Did you see that waterfall area? The water looks 100x better than Starfield.

Characters and magic effects look rough.
I’m surprised so many people are shitting on avowed, because to me it looks like a blast. Especially since I’ve played their other titles and the world it’s set in is the one from pillars of eternity which is rich with lore.

Combat will be improved and visuals with the time they’ve had, and they likely showed an older build when we last saw it like most games.

Idk. I think it’ll do well with rpg fans, but maybe not a mass hit like mass effect. More of a hit like a fallout new Vegas which got its cult following as time went on.

Laptop1991

I'm interested in Indiana Jones, and want to see more but Avowed needs to get me back on board, i wasn't impressed with what they showed at the beginning of the year, i'm not buying that game at the moment.

I’m surprised so many people are shitting on avowed, because to me it looks like a blast. Especially since I’ve played their other titles and the world it’s set in is the one from pillars of eternity which is rich with lore.

Combat will be improved and visuals with the time they’ve had, and they likely showed an older build when we last saw it like most games.

Idk. I think it’ll do well with rpg fans, but maybe not a mass hit like mass effect. More of a hit like a fallout new Vegas which got its cult following as time went on.
Agreed. I'm trying to play Pillars now. If they can combine that with an action WRPG it'll be great

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A lot riding on these two to get some momentum back, hopefully they can deliver.

For those say these will be on ps5, your going to be waiting a long time, if they come at all.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Financial projects for 2025 now look increasingly bleak. Apparently the tech sector in India just lost something like 40,000 (if not more) jobs. It’s the first time their tech sector has been hit this bad in 15 or 20 years, the “economy” is going to get blasted.

Pain train is on the way and gaming doesn’t have the fortitude to withstand the storm imo.

“Help us Nintendo…you’re our only hope!.

Last edited:
Top Bottom