• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

I don't imagine most are with you on that but I am. I'll eat bacon but only when is the soft greasy bacon. The hard crispy bacon does nothing for me. Sausage links or patties all the way though.
We are opposites. I far prefer bacon and pork belly to sausages.

Bacon

Bacon is the most delicious thing in the world. You silly militant vegans are seriously missing out.

Bacon everything om nom nom

I like how you think that vegans have never tried bacon in their entire lives and have absolutely no idea what it tastes like. Most vegans were at one point meat eaters who re evaluated their lifestyle choices. Saying "Oh wooooow you don't know what you're missing out on vegans! Steak, bacon mmmm yummy wow" as if that's somehow making vegans jealous or something is just strange.

I don't imagine most are with you on that but I am. I'll eat bacon but only when is the soft greasy bacon. The hard crispy bacon does nothing for me. Sausage links or patties all the way though.

I too think sausages are far superior to bacon. I could eat sausages all day every day but I've really gone off bacon in recent years. I think partially due to the cult of bacon mentality that seems really strong on the internet but no so much in real life.

revbatboy

I like how you think that vegans have never tried bacon in their entire lives and have absolutely no idea what it tastes like. Most vegans were at one point meat eaters who re evaluated their lifestyle choices. Saying "Oh wooooow you don't know what you're missing out on vegans! Steak, bacon mmmm yummy wow" as if that's somehow making vegans jealous or something is just strange.

Haha, your name is Bacon.

Anyway, Sausage > Bacon. #Teamsausage

EYEL1NER

We are opposites. I far prefer bacon and pork belly to sausages.
I had some great pork belly recently. It was super-soft and fatty, except the very edges which were crisped up a bit from the smoker a bit. It was served on sliders, with a toasted sweet Hawaiian bread slider bun, onion mustard BBQ sauce, pickles, and slaw on it. Here's a pic I found online from the restaurant, but they looked more impressive when I had them last week, had more toppings (sauce and slaw were dripping from the sandwich and the pork belly itself was at least an inch thick, maybe pushing 1.5 inches), and can't be done justice by the picture:
zdoOcVd.jpg

In addition to regular bacon, I also dislike fat back bacon.
I too think sausages are far superior to bacon. I could eat sausages all day every day but I've really gone off bacon in recent years. I think partially due to the cult of bacon mentality that seems really strong on the internet but no so much in real life.
I preferred sausages to bacon before venturing outside the country but my love for sausage grew even more once I wound up in Greenland. The Danish cooks I had served a wider variety of sausage than I had ever seen on an American breakfast table, alongside crispy bacon and fat back back bacon cooked till it was so crunchy it hurt to chew. I learned to ignore the bacon.

RRockman

Banned
Sorry but I kinda find this to be funny. Those pigs were all like "yaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

But alas, such is life. If the Fire fighters are OK with their work being food then that's fine with me. Although if it were me, I'd probably keep one.

I preferred sausages to bacon before venturing outside the country but my love for sausage grew even more once I wound up in Greenland. The Danish cooks I had served a wider variety of sausage than I had ever seen on an American breakfast table, alongside crispy bacon and fat back back bacon cooked till it was so crunchy it hurt to chew. I learned to ignore the bacon.

I'm from the UK so we have a pretty healthy sausage selection.

HardRojo

Title confused me, but after reading the whole thing it makes complete sense.
lots of butthurt meatheads in this thread. face the facts; you're in the wrong end of nutrition, ethics, environment and decency.
And this attitude right here is why no one gives a shit, if you worded it differently someone's bound to listen.

MogCakes

I had some great pork belly recently. It was super-soft and fatty, except the very edges which were crisped up a bit from the smoker a bit. It was served on sliders, with a toasted sweet Hawaiian bread slider bun, onion mustard BBQ sauce, pickles, and slaw on it. Here's a pic I found online from the restaurant, but they looked more impressive when I had them last week, had more toppings (sauce and slaw were dripping from the sandwich and the pork belly itself was at least an inch thick, maybe pushing 1.5 inches), and can't be done justice by the picture:
I now regret not eating breakfast

clemenx

Banned
lots of butthurt meatheads in this thread. face the facts; you're in the wrong end of nutrition, ethics, environment and decency.

Imagine thinking I care about all that when I just want to make my brain feel good whenever something touches my tongue.

Moff

very sweet story, nice gesture of the farmer to give the firemen a delicious gift for their efforts

As a meat eater I can't really say this is bad. It's just kind of a dark story. I was going to say that the farmer wanted controversy because of her "Vegetarians will hate this!" comment but clicking through to the article it's no where in there. OP did you just make that up?

As a meat eater I can't really say this is bad. It's just kind of a dark story. I was going to say that the farmer wanted controversy because of her "Vegetarians will hate this!" comment but clicking through to the article it's no where in there. OP did you just make that up?

Nah. Thread was started yesterday and I believe the article on BBC has seen some changes since that time.

Preezy

Would you eat dog? Just throwing that out there.
Well in the UK it's illegal to eat dog, so even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to. Having said that, if it were legal, I'd definitely try it. I can't imagine it being as tasty as lamb or pork, but sure, it's animal meat just like everything else.

emalord

Did you ever eat the head of the pork?
You put skull, flesh, cartilage, nose and ears all togheter in a pan with water and salt and boil everything very very slowly with pepper and other spices
When cartilage becomes soft you remove skull and bones and let the rest became a compact gelly. Slice and serve in a bun.

Delicious suff yet not for everyone

trixx

Sounds like something slave owners would've said at one time about people born in to slavery.

this is an actual argument that made me very uncomfortable in one of my ethics class. Black people were removed of their personage and placed on the same or similar level. The dehumanisation was the justification. An argument prominent amongst slave owners at the time and there are parallels

Also yeah I don't see a difference between eating a pig and eating a dog to be completely honestly

Would you eat dog? Just throwing that out there.

A dog would gladly eat you. It's the main reason I never feel morally bad about eating meat. There isn't an animal alive that wouldn't eat you given the chance. Even herbivores if they could get away with digesting you. Pigs are one of the most notorious eaters on the planet, they'll eat almost anything.

Honestly, the pigs wouldn't even have existed in the first place if not for the meat, at least this way they went to better use than pointlessly burning in a fire.

Well in the UK it's illegal to eat dog, so even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to. Having said that, if it were legal, I'd definitely try it. I can't imagine it being as tasty as lamb or pork, but sure, it's animal meat just like everything else.

And why is it illegal to eat dog? What value do dogs have over other animals? Is it because they were one of the chosen to be domesticated? Because their is no way the tier of a dog is greater than a pig

A dog would gladly eat you. It's the main reason I never feel morally bad about eating meat. There isn't an animal alive that wouldn't eat you given the chance. Even herbivores if they could get away with digesting you. Pigs are one of the most notorious eaters on the planet, they'll eat almost anything.

Honestly, the pigs wouldn't even have existed in the first place if not for the meat, at least this way they went to better use than pointlessly burning in a fire.

Domesticated pigs come from wild boar like dogs come from wolves. A boar would gladly attack you like a wolf would

Preezy

And why is it illegal to eat dog? What value do dogs have over other animals? Is it because they were one of the chosen to be domesticated?
Yeah I would imagine they just got lucky. If pigs could bark and warn early man about predators, we probably wouldn't be growing them for meat.

this is an actual argument that made me very uncomfortable in one of my ethics class. Black people were removed of their personage and placed on the same or similar level. The dehumanisation was the justification.

Also yeah I don't see a difference between eating a pig and eating a dog to be completely honest

You can't dehumanize an animal. That's just really dumb conceptually.

And why is it illegal to eat dog? What value do dogs have over other animals? Is it because they were one of the chosen to be domesticated? Because their is no way the tier of a dog is greater than a pig

Well, dogs do have more value to humans from an emotional and support point of view due to their ability to act as a companion, but really, it's pretty silly. I don't like the idea of eating most carnivorous mammals due to some rumored health conflicts, but otherwise, if you're willing to eat meat, it's sort of hypocritical to condemn someone for eating a dog or horse.

It'd be pretty fucked up to eat anyone's pet though, be it a cow, pig, or dog.

life feeds on life.

and one day worms and shit will eat you and me and everyone else.

and if they want to write a maggot-interest story about my tasty corpse, I mean more power to them I guess

trixx

You can't dehumanize an animal. That's just really dumb conceptually.

Well, dogs do have more value to humans from an emotional and support point of view due to their ability to act as a companion, but really, it's pretty silly. I don't like the idea of eating most carnivorous mammals due to some rumored health conflicts, but otherwise, if you're willing to eat meat, it's sort of hypocritical to condemn someone for eating a dog or horse.

It'd be pretty fucked up to eat anyone's pet though, be it a cow, pig, or dog.
I think I may have worded that paragraph incorrectly because that's obviously not what I meant. The quote before was basically defining existence of such animals. And the person I quoted basically said that same line of thinking was used to justify the enslavement of African people; by placing them at the same level of animals. Now obviously that same argument should not apply in reverse(one thing that pissed me off was that people were trying to do this). Still, I feel uncomfortable in the idea that animals especially
factory farmed only exist to satisfy humans

The argument made me so uncomfortable I had to re-evaluate a few things. I personally don't have problems with people eating meat it is what it is, me personally though my mind is in conflict

Kazuhira

Noo,why did they do that?
Nothing against people who eat meat but i find the whole situation so perverse,how could you agree on that?

What do you expect happens on farms up and down the country on a regular basis?

That has nothing to do with this,like i said i'm talking about this particular context.
I'm not pointing my finger and saying "you should feel bad!",if that's what you are getting from my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom