• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechazawa

Nah bruh, words have meaning and you can't just throw them around without understanding what they mean.

Now explain to me how these farmers exhibited antisocial behavior or a lack of social conscience.

The only sociopathic thing in this thread is the person wishing cancer in firefighters just for enjoying some sausages.

Yes, words have meaning and holy shit wow I can't believe what I'm seeing look at this incredible word:

It's almost like it was used as an adjective to minimize the impact of the following one.

That poster isn't the first to bring up the slavery thing. Comparing them might be a bit much, but it's not crazy to think people of the future will look back at our (factory farming, at least) meat practices as at least somewhat immoral.

"I'm going to kill and eat x because I like the way it tastes more than y"

Posts like this are so annoying, and I say this as someone who eats meat.

"LMAO PIGS ARE BACON SEEDS XD TAKE THAT PETA!!! EPICMEALTIME FTW!!!"

I don't disagree but that quote is actually from another poster above the one you quoted who who seems to enjoy sitting in the corner arguing with a strawman. Just pointing that out.

Yes, words have meaning and holy shit wow I can't believe what I'm seeing look at this incredible word:

It's almost like it was used as an adjective to minimize the impact of the following one.

giphy.gif

It's like calling someone only a little bit of a murderer.

But sure I'll bite, in what way do you consider their actions slightly antisocial or lacking in moral conscience.

Darksol

Humane slaughter....
An oxymoron if ive ever seen one sorry.

"A typical slaughterhouse kills up to 1,100 pigs every hour. The sheer number of animals killed makes it impossible for them to be given humane, painless deaths. Because of improper stunning, many pigs are alive when they reach the scalding tank, which is intended to soften their skin and remove their hair."

Pretty close to burn to death anyways mate..

PETA may not be the best place to get reliable information from.

Mechazawa

It's like calling someone only a little bit of a murderer.

But sure I'll bite, in what way do you consider their actions slightly antisocial or lacking in moral conscience.

I am not going to sit here and break down to you why this is an obviously weird and mildly fucked up situation that's had a 7 page thread dedicated to it just because you decided to question my vocabulary.

You'll have to make due living the rest of your life knowing Mechazawa use words good.

robinsxe

lots of butthurt meatheads in this thread. face the facts; you're in the wrong end of nutrition, ethics, environment and decency.

I am not going to sit here and break down to you why this is an obviously weird and mildly fucked up situation that's had a 7 page thread dedicated to it just because you decided to question my vocabulary.

You'll have to make due living the rest of your life knowing Mechazawa use words good.

The adult thing would be to man up and admit there is nothing sociopathic about what the farmers did.

Mildly fucked up (still arguable) =/= sociopathic.

But sure, you do you and throw around hyperbolic statements with no backing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm sure at least one fireman there is thinking how fucked up this is lol

You saved a life only for it to die later on, and now you get to eat it's corpse.

They didn't save a life, they saved the property of a local business.

Now if they'd raided the local slaughterhouse in an effort to stop the butchery and eventual consumption of food animals and then PETA had sent them a nice box of sausages, THAT would have been fucked up.

People need to get a grip. If you feel that eating animals is bad then it is bad. Saving them from a fire and eating them some point down the road isn't any worse. It is the same bad.

Intelligence does not enter the equation when determining tastiness. Dolphins, for example, are delicious.

So are dogs, my friend has eaten cat, I personally have tried dog, snake, snail (delicious) and other common meat. Thing I don't get is why dogs are giving special status in this country) this country being the US), if pigs can be bred for consumption why can't dogs? Because of sentiment? I bring it up because of those who are proudly claiming to love pork and bacon and don't care seeing a smart and lovable animal slaughterd. Sure they won't mind if we bred dogs for meat.

Big Blue

lots of butthurt meatheads in this thread. face the facts; you're in the wrong end of nutrition, ethics, environment and decency.

Sorry, I don't equate the life of a pig and a man. And I will continue to eat meat without guilt. None of your shaming works if the individual doesn't believe that man and animal are equal.

Jams775

So are dogs, my friend has eaten cat, I personally have tried dog, snake, snail (delicious) and other common meat. Thing I don't get is why dogs are giving special status in this country) this country being the US), if pigs can be bred for consumption why can't dogs? Because of sentiment? I bring it up because of those who are proudly claiming to love pork and bacon and don't care seeing a smart and lovable animal slaughterd. Sure they won't mind if we bred dogs for meat.

Simply because we raised and evolved them over hundreds of years to be for work and companionship and not eaten. If we used them only for food, there probably wouldn't be dogs, only wolves/hyenas etc. It's a little perverse to eat something that you evolved to be a companion. Not saying it's wrong or I wouldn't do it, just why I think at least western society frowns on it.

SaviourMK2

We eat animals. I get that. He's a farmer who raises pigs to be eaten. I get that too.
But it just seems a little messed up to serve fire fighters something they risked their life for to eat.
Can you imagine if something life changing happened to one of the fire fighters saving those pigs and their efforts where in vein because they where killed served anyway?

I guess im just baffled at the point in saving it if you're just going to kill it later.

Alx

So are dogs, my friend has eaten cat, I personally have tried dog, snake, snail (delicious) and other common meat. Thing I don't get is why dogs are giving special status in this country) this country being the US), if pigs can be bred for consumption why can't dogs? Because of sentiment?

Well it's more than sentiment, mankind has lived with dogs for more than 30000 years, long before we had written history or any kind of technology. At this point it is more symbiosis than just "getting along", and there are associated behaviour elements written into dog genes (and probably human ones too).
I'm not even shocked by people eating dogs in some cultures, but it's definitely an animal with a unique status to mankind, other animals like horses, cows, cats or pigs can't compare.

Chilikar

I feel disgusted by anyone who eats anything that casts a shadow.
Damn... I really enjoyed eating rocks, but not at the expense of making you disgusted

EDIT: as for the firemen eating bacon situation... At first I was shocked, my initial instinct was that it felt wrong. However after I thought about it more logically, the pig we're going to be killed and sold as sausages eventually. That was always going to be their purpose, so there shouldn't be any reason why the firemen should be judged for eating the sausages.

If there's anything that should be judged, it should be our current social acceptance of slaughterhouses. Mass raising pigs with the sole intention of killing them all and selling them as packaged meat for consumption is the core issue here if you ask me.

We eat animals. I get that. He's a farmer who raises pigs to be eaten. I get that too.
But it just seems a little messed up to serve fire fighters something they risked their life for to eat.
Can you imagine if something life changing happened to one of the fire fighters saving those pigs and their efforts where in vein because they where killed served anyway?

I guess im just baffled at the point in saving it if you're just going to kill it later.

Because killing it later means the farm can make money from it, and because letting a bunch of piglets die in a fire is not only a waste of money for the farmers but also incredibly cruel.

They didn't really risk their life to save the pigs. They risked their lives to put out a barn fire.

As for the bolded, they saved them to stop them from suffering a horrible death by being burnt alive. Sure, they were gonna be slaughtered anyway, but if you look at it from that view, then that's like saying 'my dog is ill and needs to be euthanized, but why don't I put it on a bonfire considering it's going to die anyway'.

*Splinter

Do these militant vegans actually think they're gonna win anyone over to their cause with the shit in this thread...
Of course not, noone could think these arguments are convincing. I can only assume the feeling of superiority is the sole motivation for those posts.

Well it's more than sentiment, mankind has lived with dogs for more than 30000 years, long before we had written history or any kind of technology. At this point it is more symbiosis than just "getting along", and there are associated behaviour elements written into dog genes (and probably human ones too).
I'm not even shocked by people eating dogs in some cultures, but it's definitely an animal with a unique status to mankind, other animals like horses, cows, cats or pigs can't compare.
Lol, I see what you did there

bosseye

I don't see the issue. Animal reared to become food is saved from a premature death, thus allowing it to continue to grow in order to become food in line with the originally intended timescales? Food then given to the firemen to eat as oppose to being sold to anonymous humans to eat.

The fire was a notable event in these pigs intended life cycle. What, they're supposed to save the pigs and then make them all pets or something because....why?

Diancecht

They saved the piglets' live not because so that they can go to college and have a career. They saved them so they could get eaten.

Lol. What the heck do you think went down? They kicked down the barn door and ran each pig out individually while "There Goes My Hero" played in the background? I doubt any of the firemen was emotionally affected.

Na, you can eat meat and be healthy, morally councious, care for the environment and not be a prick

whatever helps you sleep at night.

I dont see how environmentalism has any over lap with eating meat when the usage of water and natural resources to create meat far out ways that when you eat the same nutrition through plants.

When you have a balanced diet without added suffering, not doing so is morally dubious.
(If you live in a western 1st world country this is possible but it depends on each individual situation)

That said. Any reduction in consumption of animals is better for the planet and in almost all cases better for your diet as well.

Jerry

What a nice gesture by the farmers, I'm sure they are grateful for the firefighters service and I'm sure the firefighters were grateful for the meal.

Lovely story.

I dont see how environmentalism has any over lap with eating meat when the usage of water and natural resources to create meat far out ways that when you eat the same nutrition through plants.

When you have a balanced diet without added suffering, not doing so is morally dubious.
(If you live in a western 1st world country this is possible but it depends on each individual situation)

That said. Any reduction in consumption of animals is better for the planet and in almost all cases better for your diet as well.

See, I don't actually really care about this issue beyond the environment impacts, so this silly guilt shaming doesn't actually work.

Seems to be a common snarky response with this topic, which constantly fails to actually work because you're response is going after a point of emphasis people don't actually really care about or think about on a daily basis beyond watching a sad youtube video for five minutes.

cromofo

Horse and rabbit meat is pretty darn good.

Dunno about cat and dog meat lol. Will try if I ever get the chance tho.

Olli128

Anyone who finds this disturbing is disassociated from the food chain. These pigs are raised to be eaten, they were saved so they were not wasted not because they're cute or something. If you eat meat and have a problem with this you should consider becoming vegetarian.

Anyone who finds this disturbing is disassociated from the food chain. These pigs are raised to be eaten, they were saved so they were not wasted not because they're cute or something. If you eat meat and have a problem with this you should consider becoming vegetarian.

This

Elandyll

Banned

Environmentally conscious practices and a reduction in the amount of meat consumed (particularly in the US) is a reasonable discussion to have and a worthwhile pursuit.

Applying morality to the consumption of meat and going against the fact that we are omnivores, as well as trying to apply "ethical values" of superiority to those who make the choice to get away from meat based products is not.

Nothing in choosing to consume a strictly vegan diet makes you inherently superior to someone who eats a reasonable amount of meat, fish, eggs, milk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom