• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

samwizered

This thread just reaffirms that I really need to get round to playing RE 1-3. I've always been a huge fan of PS1 and survival horror, but for some reason I've skipped right over these.

If/when I begin playing them, should I go with the PS1 or Dreamcast versions? I'm leaning towards Dreamcast.

SkylineRKR

This thread just reaffirms that I really need to get round to playing RE 1-3. I've always been a huge fan of PS1 and survival horror, but for some reason I've skipped right over these.

If/when I begin playing them, should I go with the PS1 or Dreamcast versions? I'm leaning towards Dreamcast.

Well the first is best played on Gamecube. But if not possible i'd recommend Directors Cut on Ps1. As for 2 and 3, DC versions are better but PSX has better pad. I just went with PSN for all 3.

Draft

Gamecube versions :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Even though the RE2 demo that came with RE1:DC was based on the final version, it still had Elza as the female reveal at the end, didn't it?

They must have added Claire very late in development...

Andrefpvs

This is for the best, this was never going to be released anyway (talking about Capcom, I really respect the work of the people working on restoring this).

I don't know how legal it is to download this, but at least it's out there.

SkylineRKR

Even though the RE2 demo that came with RE1:DC was based on the final version, it still had Elza as the female reveal at the end, didn't it?

They must have added Claire very late in development...

I have that demo but I can't remember this. All I know is that it ends at the parking lot or office desk with Ada pointing a gun?

News Bot

Banned
First footage I saw back then was from 1.5. So I expected that game. Then when I got RE2 it looked very different from the preview pics. I actually think Elza looked terrible.

I think they didn't can RE1.5 for the sake of it, Mikami and Kamiya aren't retarded. They must have had their reasons. RE2 as it was became one of my PS1 favourites. Its a great game still, enjoyed the PSN version a few years back. Leon A felt really tame and easy nowadays but the B-scenarios are where its at.

Almost everyone on the 1.5 team (even the composer!) disliked the game. I think that's pretty telling.

Also interesting to note is that Leon's personality in 1.5 is completely opposite of what it is in BH2 (for better or worse). In 1.5, he was a descendant of Italian immigrants who "didn't necessarily have a sense of justice" and was more of an average lay-about.

kunonabi

I wouldn't suggest RE3 for DC since they messed up the button config and the additions aren't great. DC port of RE2 is great though.

thefit

Crows just ate my face :(

So you need a PS1 emulator?

yes I already tried epsxe and psx and they both ran it fine you could also convert the bin/cue files to iso and burn it and play it on a modded original PS if you have one around.

Sylver

Banned
-Devil May Cry
-Hookman
-Fog
-Final version

3.5 beta were used to some Remake Concept/new locations
3.5 Beta:
pNmOAbf.jpg
ilIvrKQ.jpg
REMake concept:

kunonabi

That sure explains why BH2 was the best selling game in the franchise for a long time, something they knew 1.5 wouldn't be. Not that it was a functionally bad game, just inferior. No elements from 1.5 made it into any games in the series, I've yet to see any actual examples of this.

Also, are you seriously having a go at BH2's voice acting as if it's somehow worse than 1.5 was going to be? Have you not seen Elza's "A secret entrannceee?" video? BH2 is a master-class in acting by comparison.

Larger amount of zombies on screen, bigger variety of zombie body types, running zombies(RE3 had some fast ones that pretty much ran) and grenades all made it into later entries. Limping is pretty much the only thing RE2 added that stuck.

Not to mention all the other elements that got dropped like extra enemy behaviors and animations, the vests, and real time battle damage. I also would taken the extra automatic weapons over the goofy shit Claire got saddled with.

I'm not saying re1.5 would had better voice acting I'm just saying Elza probably wasn't going to come off like such a creeper.

News Bot

Banned
3.5 beta were used to some Remake Concept/new locations
3.5 Beta:

REMake concept:

They weren't concepts for the remake, they were just examples of the new background technology. The Castle version was also originally intended to use the same type of pre-rendered BGs, I believe.

Larger amount of zombies on screen, bigger variety of zombie body types, running zombies(RE3 had some fast ones that pretty much ran) and grenades all made it into later entries. Limping is pretty much the only thing RE2 added that stuck.

Not to mention all the other elements that got dropped like extra enemy behaviors and animations, the vests, and real time battle damage. I also would taken the extra automatic weapons over the goofy shit Claire got saddled with.

I'm not saying re1.5 would had better voice acting I'm just saying Elza probably wasn't going to come off like such a creeper.

Bigger amount of Zombies on screen at the cost of graphics, BH3 has the same amount as BH2. There weren't a variety of Zombie body types, there was one fat Zombie in the whole of BH3. I don't recall seeing any Zombies move very fast in 1.5 at all. Grenades were used in BH4 and beyond because they actually fit that new style of gameplay, they weren't deliberately reused from 1.5.

Armor was removed because it shifted the focus from surviving to running around looking for power-ups. Battle damage was removed presumably because it wasn't actually very functionally helpful because you could barely see shit (again due to the inferior graphics), and limping did a better job to convey health status than pretty much anything else while also adding a lot more tension to the game.

Bowguns and grenade launchers are "goofy shit"? What?

Semajer

Pity that it got leaked before it was finished. I'll be waiting until the team releases their finished build before I give it a go. It'll be nice to play a decent
I hope
Resident Evil game again.

And still areas in Demento looks like they have been taken out of BH4 fog version trailer, might just be a coincidence but they look to similar to not be copied/inspired in some way.

Sure might be a tad stretchy but they look similar.
Demento (11.28 ish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzDedhngXE
BH4 Fog: (00:18 ish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nFKfGbbRVg

So, wait, how does the story work in RE4? There are ghosts now? How does that tie into the confines that the series set up, it was [reasonably] realistic with the zombies due to mutated genetic experiments, but ghosts? What an interesting turn for the story to take. Is there any further info?

jbueno

So you need a PS1 emulator?

I loaded it up on PSP and plays just fine, provided you convert the image file to something the PSP would understand. I imagine burning it to a CD and playing on a PS1 would work fine, but I haven´t tried it yet.

Here´s some pics I took running the game on PSP and using TV Out, sadly my phone battery died before I could take pics of Ada and who seemed to be Sherry Birking running away.

News Bot

Banned
So, wait, how does the story work in RE4? There are ghosts now? How does that tie into the confines that the series set up, it was [reasonably] realistic with the zombies due to mutated genetic experiments, but ghosts? What an interesting turn for the story to take. Is there any further info?

In the Hallucination version (the official term for what people call "Hookman"), Leon was infected with a virus and was hallucinating, and the virus meant his arm could mutate into black tentacles and be used as a weapon. Still grounded in reality, Leon is just going through a Lost Souls/Jacob's Ladder experience due to a viral infection screwing with his head.

This version had no plot and consisted solely of two enemies (Hookman and Dolls) and a small mansion. It was an experiment to try making the game scarier. It is not to be confused with the earlier Castle version (the official term for what people call "Fog").

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HOLY SHIT!

I've been waiting for this to leak forever. I can't wait to see all the differences from the final game.

DO NOTE this isn't the "Capcom only" leak/release. This is 80% Capcom 20% the fan remakers.

In the Hallucination version (the official term for what people call "Hookman"), Leon was infected with a virus and was hallucinating, and the virus meant his arm could mutate into black tentacles and be used as a weapon. Still grounded in reality, Leon is just going through a Lost Souls/Jacob's Ladder experience due to a viral infection screwing with his head.

This version had no plot and consisted solely of two enemies (Hookman and Dolls) and a small mansion. It was an experiment to try making the game scarier. It is not to be confused with the earlier Castle version (the official term for what people call "Fog").

Oh awesome, that is really cool sounding! RE + insanity effects. I can barely play through RE games as-is, that would have made me shit myself.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
-Devil May Cry
-Hookman
-Fog
-Final version

Those are the only ones I know. Where did Haunting Ground come from?

There was another version between Fog and Final which was never shown. A lot of Haunting Grounds castle, as well as the design of Fiona and the dog, came from the Fog version I believe.

Capcom had bought the Clock Tower licence in the mid-2000s and published Clock Tower 3 (as well as help them end development of) and then made Haunting Ground, a spin-off of the Clock Tower series that started development as Clock Tower 4. The development of Haunting Ground took place during the development of Resident Evil 4, and it seems that during development, a lot of the assets that were unused for Resident Evil 4 went into Haunting Ground (and a bit visa-versa). Hewie is the most obvious connection, as an older model of Hewie that you can see in screens of Haunting Ground pre-release appears in Resident Evil 4 as "That Dog".

However, in some of the old videos of Resident Evil 4, you can see some assets that were in these early trailers that also appear in Haunting Ground. They both were set in a castle, so it does make sense from a development stand-point. Some people in the community have hacked both games further and have found even more interesting connections. The main villain of Haunting Ground looks suspiciously like Ozwell E. Spencer in Resident Evil 5, and deeper than that, an older beta version of Saddler looks EXACTLY like the main villain of Haunting Ground. There is also a list of rooms that were supposed to be in Resident Evil 3.5 that was hacked out of the trial version of RE4, and the names of some of the rooms are very reflective of rooms that appear in Haunting Ground.

However, some scrapped things from Resident Evil 4 went into 5 actually. The most obvious one being Uroboros.

resi4790screen003.jpg

re4beta10.jpg

ryan13ts

The guys that are repairing the game have done quite a good job. Compared to the original beta that they're working from, ALOT has been fixed, even in this buggy WIP. Many of the rooms I see in this build aren't there in the original beta, and have been added based on the ripped backgrounds that have been floating around for some time, as well as some added scenes and English being added obviously.

I'm fairly sure with enough time, they'll get the game as close to be finished as can possibly be without an offical release from Capcom.

kunonabi

They weren't concepts for the remake, they were just examples of the new background technology. The Castle version was also originally intended to use the same type of pre-rendered BGs, I believe.

Bigger amount of Zombies on screen at the cost of graphics, BH3 has the same amount as BH2. There weren't a variety of Zombie body types, there was one fat Zombie in the whole of BH3. I don't recall seeing any Zombies move very fast in 1.5 at all. Grenades were used in BH4 and beyond because they actually fit that new style of gameplay, they weren't deliberately reused from 1.5.

Armor was removed because it shifted the focus from surviving to running around looking for power-ups. Battle damage was removed presumably because it wasn't actually very functionally helpful because you could barely see shit (again due to the inferior graphics), and limping did a better job to convey health status than pretty much anything else while also adding a lot more tension to the game.

Bowguns and grenade launchers are "goofy shit"? What?

RE3 had way more variation in zombies than 2 did. Period. You had more male types, more female types, fast zombies, and fat zombies. There were some faster zombies in the trailers 1.5 that shuffled pretty close to RE3 speed. I wouldn't classify it as running though. Didn't RE2 cap off at 7 zombies? RE3 had more than that.

The bowgun was shit as was her electric zapper.

I'd much rather have to hunt down armor for increased defense than just take an extraordinary amount of damage like you could in RE2.

News Bot

Banned
Capcom had bought the Clock Tower licence in the mid-2000s and published Clock Tower 3 (as well as help them end development of) and then made Haunting Ground, a spin-off of the Clock Tower series that started development as Clock Tower 4. The development of Haunting Ground took place during the development of Resident Evil 4, and it seems that during development, a lot of the assets that were unused for Resident Evil 4 went into Haunting Ground (and a bit visa-versa). Hewie is the most obvious connection, as an older model of Hewie that you can see in screens of Haunting Ground pre-release appears in Resident Evil 4 as "That Dog".

However, in some of the old videos of Resident Evil 4, you can see some assets that were in these early trailers that also appear in Haunting Ground. They both were set in a castle, so it does make sense from a development stand-point. Some people in the community have hacked both games further and have found even more interesting connections. The main villain of Haunting Ground looks suspiciously like Ozwell E. Spencer in Resident Evil 5, and deeper than that, an older beta version of Saddler looks EXACTLY like the main villain of Haunting Ground. There is also a list of rooms that were supposed to be in Resident Evil 3.5 that was hacked out of the trial version of RE4, and the names of some of the rooms are very reflective of rooms that appear in Haunting Ground.

However, some scrapped things from Resident Evil 4 went into 5 actually. The most obvious one being Uroboros.

I'll repeat. There are no BH4 assets in Demento and vice versa, however Fiona and Hewie are based on the girl and dog concepts in the Castle version of BH4. In terms of level design, at best, they are based on the same reference material. People need to stop jumping to conclusions.

I bet some people still think Leon was infected with the Progenitor Virus in the Castle and Hallucination versions. Another assumption that is simply untrue, along with the idea that the black tentacle creature has anything to do with Progenitor or the game had anything to do with the bastard plot of Gaiden.

klee123

It's true though, Leon had a much better arsenal than Clare. The saving grace for Clare's arsenal was the grenade launcher, but even then it paled compared to the upgraded Magnum.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll repeat. There are no BH4 assets in Demento and vice versa, however Fiona and Hewie are based on the girl and dog concepts in the Castle version of BH4. In terms of level design, at best, they are based on the same reference material. People need to stop jumping to conclusions.

I bet some people still think Leon was infected with the Progenitor Virus in the Castle and Hallucination versions. Another assumption that is simply untrue, along with the idea that the black tentacle creature has anything to do with Progenitor or the game had anything to do with the bastard plot of Gaiden.

I'll see if I can get some referential material. I'm actually playing through Haunting Ground right now, and think I could at least point out some similarities. Though you may be right that this is all down to referential material, but for example I was just a couple of days ago comparing the doll enemy from Biohazard 4's early gameplay video, and that doll has a replica of it hanging on the wall in Haunting Ground's doll room. Also the room has knives in it, which was the weapon the dolls in Biohazard 4's Hookman version used (knives are common obviously, but a room like that could work well for a game where dolls are an enemy, which they are not in Haunting Ground).

Uroboros I don't mean anything other than design-wise. I don't believe it was going to serve the same purpose, or even the same name, but just that they look the same, it was scrapped in development, and then a monster who looks the same was brought back in Resident Evil 5.

Anyways, excited to try this out tonight.

So wait, let me get some clarification on this project. How much of it is fan-made? Is the entire thing fan-made? Is it a mod of Resident Evil 2? Resident Evil 1?

The way the OP makes it sound, this is being built from an unfinished build of the real Resident Evil 1.5. But surely that would've been bigger news if such a thing was discovered, right? I feel like I would've heard about that.

But hearing the guy talk about unfinished menus and everything being in Japanese definitely makes it sound like this is being built from the real RE1.5.

So either the internet has failed at making such a fact well-known, or these guys are REALLY good at keeping secrets and laying low.

never release or even announce when you're WIP doing this kind of shit, you'll get C&D'd and it'll never get finished. Every. Time.

ryan13ts

So wait, let me get some clarification on this project. How much of it is fan-made? Is the entire thing fan-made? Is it a mod of Resident Evil 2? Resident Evil 1?

The way the OP makes it sound, this is being built from an unfinished build of the real Resident Evil 1.5. But surely that would've been bigger news if such a thing was discovered, right? I feel like I would've heard about that.

But hearing the guy talk about unfinished menus and everything being in Japanese definitely makes it sound like this is being built from the real RE1.5.

So either the internet has failed at making such a fact well-known, or these guys are REALLY good at keeping secrets and laying low.

It's based from a real, beta built. The guys that are putting this out have just corrected and edit some stuff from the build, to make it more complete and playable. The original beta build isn't anything too impressive after the "Wow" factor wears off, trust me (LOTS of missing rooms, all in Japanese, glitches, ect).

And obviously even when these guys are done, it's still not going to be the whole game, right? At best, just a completed "demo". Like an hour of gameplay tops, I'm assuming.

Diablos

*piccy pics*
This makes me sound arrogant I'm sure... but why put so much effort into such a project? Seems like a waste of time, and if this were to happen it should have been at least a few years ago.

The graphics hurt my eyes, I don't think I could play through it, even for purely... uh, scientific purposes.

I'm sure the C&D will pop out of nowhere at some point, btw.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
And obviously even when these guys are done, it's still not going to be the whole game, right? At best, just a completed "demo". Like an hour of gameplay tops, I'm assuming.

Well if I recall correctly the game has maps of all the areas that would be available in the full game so they could probably construct a full game.

randomwab

They're not really public, so how can they be C&D'd? I mean, no site, one person/account does all there public stuff and they just dropped this out there anonymously.

Diablos

They're not really public, so how can they be C&D'd? I mean, no site, one person/account does all there public stuff and they just dropped this out there anonymously.
Because it is code that Capcom owns and they can basically do whatever the fuck they want. Doesn't matter if it's public or not, commercial product or not, etc. I'd agree that the legal fees associated with a C&D, even if minimal to Capcom, are a waste... I can't see this project hurting their bottom line in any way, the ship has long sailed to do anything with RE1.5 unless they wanted to remake it or something, but even then that would be pretty dumb imo. But, I still fully expect them to C&D.

randomwab

I'm not saying they wouldn't want to C&D them, I'm saying how could they? I don't really get the whole C&D thing, but if none of the team behind this is public, how can Capcom stop them?

Top Bottom