• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

To be fair, what else would they say to the RE fans? "Yeah, we're ditching the whole 'horror' thing. Kinda played out. Action movie mode is in, baby!"

They could have said survival horror, survival action or action horror if they wanted to. They are of course trying to win over everyone, and by saying horror, so they can keep fans interested for now.

To be fair, what else would they say to the RE fans? "Yeah, we're ditching the whole 'horror' thing. Kinda played out. Action movie mode is in, baby!"

Well they didn't have to say anything about it either period and the trailer did show me some stuff that I wanted to see concerning that. The evidence seems a bit more real to me than GAF pessimism.

I can't say who's right or wrong at this juncture but it certainly looks more horror driven than RE5 was at the very least.

In the end, if I'm wrong or they're just full of shit, I'll be glad to take some told-you-so's, but until then I'd rather be excited and optimistic for the title instead of writing it off because the trailer had a lot of action. The game doesn't look that one-note to me. It looks like some parts have a lot of action and other sections are slower and darker.

TedNindo

Looks like RE5 chest high wall edition.

It's pretty funny a game like Gears Of War was somewhat inspired by RE4 and now Resident Evil is turning more into Gears Of War.

Look I loved RE4. And I really liked RE5 in co-op until the zombies with guns started showing up. But it looks like there will be even more mid range combat. Which isn't what made RE4 good. What made RE4 good was that you had to get close and take risks to survive. I'm sure there will still be parts that play like that. But please don't let anything shoot at me. If I wanted a cover shooter I'd play Gears Of War or Encharted.

What I want is the mercenaries kind of gameplay, like the village in RE4, mixed up with slower paced segments that are closer to the original games. I'm sure that it might be possible to combine these. A bit like how Deadspace does it. Slower paced sections and more action oriented parts mixed up. Only make it less linear like the old RE games and throw some puzzles in.

The capcom livestream had a 30 minutes presentation about resident evil 6.

I can't find a decent translation.

edit: It seems the co-op is completely optional. If you choose to play single player, the AI partner is not there with you.

Just rewatched the broadcast and no one said anything about the game's single player or co-op system.

Only new thing I can provide that I didn't tweet was the 150+ person dev team size. Other tidbits like "people may not be able to tell what is gameplay and what is a cutscene" go without saying.

(I'm reasonably fluent in Japanese so I wouldn't miss something crucial like this)

Well I'm worried unless they've reworked the companion AI completely from RE5. I know you can play in co-op with a buddy, but it's not always possible and I prefer to play RE solo. This news is very, very disappointing.

Would it really have been that hard to make Leon's campaign solo with Chris' and new dude's campaigns co-op. :(

masterkajo

I loved 4 and 5, so I'm definitely down for 6. I would have liked to see Claire back though. It's been a while.

I would like to see Co-op handled like RE2 handled the multiple storylines. 2 characters that are off doing there own thing but interact every now and then although it wouldn't be necessary. They would be able to communicate the whole !@#$%^&* though. So one character would be experiencing things and telling the other "I just saw some crazy monster, if you ever come across this area watch !@#$%^&*". Sometimes the scariest thing can be someone describing a possible threat. And if there are parts where they might worry about the other breaking tension the communicator can malfunction. I think that would be a cool concept.

!!! That would be soo awesome. Exactly what I would like. Playing with a body and only meeting them once in a while while talking over a radio (heaset) that is not working all the time. Then you still got the feeling of being alone but also have the chance to mix in some awesome player player interaction every once in a while. If you need some matches for a candle for instance and you can't seem to find one and tell your partner about it and he is like "Yeah, just saw some in this huge kitchen back under the stairwell"... and you go there and find them.
It can be though to implement though since you can't really make a scenario where both have to be there at the same time. What if one takes it very slow and the other one just rushes through? So it has to be playable totally on your own while still being able to interact when in the same place at the same time.
Awesome example you hear you body call out to you on your radio that he is just fighting this totally huge monster in a yard and you then try to go up to the roof and shoot it from the top. But you don't have to. The other player can defeat it on its own if you don't make it it time. It is hard of course.
Problem would be a player death as it would look strange if you from the roof see the other player die and then immediately reborn somewhere...

just some thoughts... because the idea is awesome!

Sadist

edit: It seems the co-op is completely optional. If you choose to play single player, the AI partner is not there with you.
VanDerBeekBasedGod.jpg

Just odd how i'm not excited about this trailer

I mean, let it be known, I ADOOORED RE5

Like I beat it several times, coop and single over the years. Both PS3 and 360

Cyborg

Damn those basterds :( RE6 looks like 5. I want the style from 1, 2 and 3 back. This is more a 3rd person action shooter.......than survivol horror! :(

Tantalus

Neo Member
As unlikely as it might be, I do hope that co-op is optional. For as much as I enjoyed playing through RE5 online with a friend, it would be nice to have the option of playing single player without an A.I partner.

It would be nice to have another new character instead of Chris, but all things considered this trailer was pretty good.

giobbs

Neo Member
The capcom livestream had a 30 minutes presentation about resident evil 6.

I can't find a decent translation.

Yes!

EDIT: Just saw the link above, d'oh.

ruxtpin

Banned
As an outsider to the RE series, can someone explain the RE5 hate to me? I played nearly all of RE4, thought it was great. I played about 3/4 of the way through RE5 shortly after it's release, and while I didn't care that a lot of it was meant to be tackled cooperatively - I thought the game mechanics seemed the same as RE4, if not more frantic trying to manage items during battle.

LiK

As an outsider to the RE series, can someone explain the RE5 hate to me? I played nearly all of RE4, thought it was great. I played about 3/4 of the way through RE5 shortly after it's release, and while I didn't care that a lot of it was meant to be tackled cooperatively - I thought the game mechanics seemed the same as RE4, if not more frantic trying to manage items during battle.
1. They hate Chris

2. They hate coop

3. They hate action

TedNindo

RE5 was a good game. But many people hate it for the forced co-op. But if you had a friend to play it with it was great.
But it was not as good as RE4. RE5 tried to copy most of the things RE4 did but did them worse imo. Everything they copied from RE4 was pretty solid but most of the things they changed or added made it worse. I also hated the last part of the game where you actually have zombie like creatures shooting back at you. Which completely changed the gameplay for the worse. It was no longer survival but it turned into a bad 3rd person shooter.

Mechanics don't tell the whole story. For me, the atmosphere was weak, the pacing was worse, no strafing despite them making it more of a shooter than ever, forced co-op annoyed the singleplayer folks, and was just less memorable as a whole. The way this trailer is presented, they're leaning even harder in the "GO GO GO" shooter direction. Some sections look straight up Gears of Evil.

But on the other hand, could just be how they cut the trailer. I'd trust them more with the "emphasizing fear" stuff if not for RE5.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Personally, RE4 felt like a great adventure game and RE5 felt like just another (poor) third-person shooter. The game mechanics were largely the same, but the overall design was not.

Himself

I'm thinking about giving RE5 a chance. I played the demo and thought it was horrendous. The complete lack of atmosphere, the Gears of War sized Chris, the non-stop action, the big screaming idiotic bad guys. Is this basically the whole game? Are there interesting settings? Is there any sense of pacing? Am I missing anything?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, RE4 felt like a great adventure game and RE5 felt like just another (poor) third-person shooter. The game mechanics were largely the same, but the overall design was not.

A poor third person shooter? It had the same gameplay mechanics as RE4. No way it's poor. Hyperbole at its finest.

LiK

I'm thinking about giving RE5 a chance. I played the demo and thought it was horrendous. The complete lack of atmosphere, the Gears of War sized Chris, the non-stop action, the big screaming idiotic bad guys. Is this basically the whole game? Are there interesting settings? Is there any sense of pacing? Am I missing anything?
RE5 demo was not a good representation. It wasn't all action in final game.

TedNindo

I'm afraid that the only one who would be able to make an RE game as good or better then RE4 is mikami.

I consider RE4 one of the best games ever made.

RE fans might not agree but I thought that the orginal RE games were average at best when it came to gameplay mechanics. And RE4 took it to a whole other level where there aren't many games out there that outshine it. The mechanics worked great and the levels were created perfectly around those mechanics.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
RE5 had some design issues but was NOT a bad at all.

To me it fell in the category of DMC4; good game, not a waste of money or time, but so much misopportunities and so much potential.

1. They hate (steroids user model) Chris

2. They hate (forced) coop (with idiotic AI when not online)

3. They hate (the focus on) action (instead of survival horror)

Fixed that for you.

I also think they're crazy though, I loved RE5 and completed it like 9 times between 360 and PS3. It's FUN. I also love the old games and played them on their respective release dates.

If you want survival horror this days, go play Siren: Blood Curse, Fatal Frame games or Amnesia.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
RE4 is not a great third-person shooter either, but it's still an amazing game. Kind of my point.

You're making them seem as if they're two completely different approaches, while they're not.

Thank Gad about the optional co-op. The AI partner in 5 was a fucking boat anchor you dragged around.

CVX posted that there's no mention of optional co-op in the presentation.

So it's safer to assume that there is forced co-op with an AI partner throughout until Capcom themselves confirm it's optional.

:(

Curufinwe

RE4 is not a great third-person shooter either, but it's still an amazing game. Kind of my point.

I know what you mean, but the actual shooting in RE 4 is still my favorite in any game. It just feels so satisfying and rewards skill and composure under pressure, while encouraging accuracy rates of 75% plus instead of the spray & pray method of games like Uncharted.

Sadist

Plus RE 4 is better balanced compared to 5.

It's also about leaving a good first impression. Playing RE 4 for the first time was a real "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME" moment for a lot people out there, something that doesn't happen very often. Everything felt new, fresh and exciting. RE 5 tried to copy that feeling but that was one of it's biggest faults imo. "Oh a village like in RE 4? Yeah that's cool. RE 4's village was better though." RE 5 didn't feature a lot of those surprises which made RE 4 so amazing.

jett

D-Member
RE5 is an impressively poorly designed game. Enemy spawns, positions, encounters and overall level design is just terrible compared to RE4. Mikami was so smart with RE4, designed everything around the limitations of the tank-like controls, that's why rarely if ever would someone attack you from your blind side. That shit constantly happens in RE5.

TedNindo

Plus RE 4 is better balanced compared to 5.

It's also about leaving a good first impression. Playing RE 4 for the first time was a real "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME" moment for a lot people out there, something that doesn't happen very often. Everything felt new, fresh and exciting. RE 5 tried to copy that feeling but that was one of it's biggest faults imo. "Oh a village like in RE 4? Yeah that's cool. RE 4's village was better though." RE 5 didn't feature a lot of those surprises which made RE 4 so amazing.

I agree. The great thing about RE4 is that they changed up the gameplay somewhat from location to location. It's as if they just experimented with all the new things they could do with the new mechanics and built maps around that. They just built playgrounds around the mechanics and tried to figure out what worked and what was fun. And all of them worked great or atleast well. This also provided varied gameplay and settings. It felt like they play tested a lot and the overal balance and pacing shows this. It was all very well designed and balanced. As if someone sat there and played everything and constantly changed things around untill it worked perfectly.

RE5 tried to copy most of these but did it less well. And the things they added just weren't designed as well.

Top Bottom