• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What we don't need is global conspiracies, boulder punching moments

We totally need more of both of these.

'I don't know, a couple seconds out of 3 minutes looks kind of like, it could be what you guys want...

But stop whining you have no reason to complain...'

You really don't. You're getting Revelations, and no one is forcing you to play this game. I could bitch and moan about how much I hate the 2k Marin XCOM FPS, but now I've found out that we're getting a turn based strategy XCOM by Firaxis. I would look like a fucking dope now if I continued to complain about the FPS XCOM.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't necessarily true though. or at least we don't know it yet. Capcom hasn't even tried to do things another way. It's not like they made a big budget survival horror-oriented RE and it completely bombed. All they've been doing is action shit without giving survival horror a chance.

Why should they? Maybe in a reboot; as for now the series is only moving forward.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
"Previously on 24..."

This isn't Resident Evil at all, it's some kind of GoW COD: Raccoon City Warfare.

Normal human beings, a sense of isolation, limited ammo, twisted characters, atmosphere, scary monsters, etc. What we don't need is global conspiracies, boulder punching moments, Chloe O'Brian wannabes, over the top action scenes, huge groups of people and the like.

Come on, it's not that hard!

1995 was a long time ago brah.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Regarding this point, I can't be the only one who likes this style of Resident Evil. It makes sense in the franchise's universe to incorporate warfare as the series progresses. Shit hits the fan over the course of the franchise and it's all about escalation. From a mansion to a town and so on.

This doesn't mean that there isn't room for the old-school survival horror that many people want but that also doesn't mean that this action horror hybrid is unacceptable. Quite the contrary.

This is Resident Evil. Gameplay styles do not dictate a franchise's branding and status. I think that's a silly mistake to make.

I seriously cannot agree more with this post. I'M AGREEING SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Escalation is a great way to show progression in the story. Things are only getting worse. Things can't stay confined to creepy mansions forever.

Angry Fork

You really don't. You're getting Revelations, and no one is forcing you to play this game. I could bitch and moan about how much I hate the 2k Marin XCOM FPS, but now I've found out that we're getting a turn based strategy XCOM by Firaxis. I would look like a fucking dope now if I continued to complain about the FPS XCOM.

I don't care about the 3DS and it's shitty lack of a 2nd analog stick. If a real Resident Evil was put on Vita then I wouldn't be raging that much.

Why should they? Maybe in a reboot; as for now the series is only moving forward.

Capcom themselves said they were going to change things up from RE4/5 formula which is why this trailer is even more annoying.

Kusagari

This isn't necessarily true though. or at least we don't know it yet. Capcom hasn't even tried to do things another way. It's not like they made a big budget survival horror-oriented RE and it completely bombed. All they've been doing is action shit without giving survival horror a chance.

It's a fact though that the series was becoming increasingly marginalized in the west until RE4. And whether people want to admit it or not RE5 and 6 were the direction they were clearly heading with RE4.

The only thing RE5 was truly missing was any of the horror elements, and it seems like they're going to be giving people some of that with the Leon campaign.

thetrin

I don't care about the 3DS and it's shitty lack of a 2nd analog stick. If a real Resident Evil was put on Vita then I wouldn't be raging that much.

Get a 3DS and the analog add-on. Problem solved!

The only thing RE5 was truly missing was any of the horror elements, and it seems like they're going to be giving people some of that with the Leon campaign.

This was my point earlier. People are shouting doom and gloom, but Leon's portion looks like an awesome return to RE2 style darkness.

This is a really dumb way to view video games. Games are made by huge teams of people, not just the whims and vision of one guy.

yeah but huge teams need leaders to focus everything into a playable fun product.

If you don't have a leader you end up canceling your game and sending it to Platinum Games to salvage what's left.

The game wont suck, but we cant deny that if Mikami was involved the game would rise to another higher level that capcom's staff wouldnt be capable of doing on their own... Unless they found a new talent :p

pulga

Banned
Ugh. The problem I have with this stems from the fact there are so many TPS with cover mechanics and sliding and brosplosions, RE didn't need to become one of them. RE4 was brilliant, the mood was amazing. It, theoretically, was the perfect middle ground for action fans and classic RE fans. RE5 sent the atmosphere and tension to hell, in many ways thanks to the CO-OP. Revelations seemed to be getting the franchise back on track for those who want an isolated, creepy and tense game.

Bottom line: Those bitching they want a more classic RE experience should support Revelations with their money.

You're missing out, Revelations is looking fantastic. Second analog stick is not needed, the gyro controls are surprisingly intuitive.

apana

Wow this doesn't look so good, should of let the franchise rest for a while. Also I want the old Leon back, this sad attempt at masculinity is just annoying.

Davey Cakes

It's growing on me. Not sure I like his cutscene look, but his artwork looks good.
Leon has a pretty good look. He appears appropriately older and I like how he seems even rougher around the edges than in RE4.

He was a pretty boy in RE2 but since then he's gotten older and tougher in a way that I appreciate, unlike Chris who just bulked up too much.

Honestly, I like that they keep Leon's look relatively the same, with the 90's hair and all. It makes him less generic, in my opinion. Chris and "Cole" are pretty bland, with no real outstanding features. Leon hair for life!

pulga

Banned
So what hairstyle do people want Leon to rock? I can't wrap my head around him not having his trademark do.

Capcom UK's head of marketing, Dave Turner, pointed out to MCV ahead of the Resident Evil 6 reveal that action-focused Resident Evil 5 is in fact the series' biggest seller, and even revealed aspirations to attract Call of Duty players.

:(

2scoops

I'm not gonna lie, i'm so damn excited for this!

Chris' action packed campaign? So what, looks awesome and crazy. Leons horror ish campaign? Hell goddamn yeah. New character and possible Ashley campaign? I'm very open to the idea. Plus who knows what kind of unlockables there will be. (Ada?)

Trailer looks so damn good! Very excited. Then again, thats my opinion. For me, any Resident Evil is like pizza and sex, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

SkylineRKR

RE5 is an impressively poorly designed game. Enemy spawns, positions, encounters and overall level design is just terrible compared to RE4. Mikami was so smart with RE4, designed everything around the limitations of the tank-like controls, that's why rarely if ever would someone attack you from your blind side. That shit constantly happens in RE5.

Absolutely this.

RE5 copy pasted a shitload off RE4, then it increased enemy counts and cheapness (such as the amount of shots the chainsaw dude could take), made the levels very linear and crammed much like any given TPS but they forgot to properly update the controls along with all of this. That was my biggest gripe with RE5.

The Gigante fights illustrate the difference between the 2 games. First of all the gigante has been completely copy pasted in RE5, secondly the RE5 version of the fight is a completely brainless and boring as fuck shoot the core affair. Its pathetic.

The ironic thing is that I likely played RE5 more than 4. But its solely because of its online Mercs.

ironcreed

Banned
I honestly think this divide more or less boils down to the fact that some gamers are just jaded as hell because, "things are just not the they were back in the good old days." In which case, seeing the series do something different, with improved gameplay is deemed unacceptable because they firmly believe that things should have stayed the same as they were all those years ago when zombies crowding you in a narrow hallway was something fresh.

In reality, those tense, claustrophobic moments that are so revered were mainly because of a horrible fixed camera and archaic, tank controls that most budget games do not even employ anymore. They can't keep releasing the same shit over and over again. Like anything, it needs to evolve or it will be left for dead, with only a small and jaded cult-like following to support it.

More action and intense holy shit moments coupled with gameplay that is finally modern and more fun to control is not something to be frowned upon. It is called getting with the times. Despite that, there looks to be more crazy infected monstrosities to surround and overcome you than ever to me. Even ones that yank your ass out of cover if you just sit there. 'Dudebro' my ass, lol.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm not gonna lie, i'm so damn excited for this!

Chris' action packed campaign? So what, looks awesome and crazy. Leons horror ish campaign? Hell goddamn yeah. New character and possible Ashley campaign? I'm very open to the idea. Plus who knows what kind of unlockables there will be. (Ada?)

Trailer looks so damn good! Very excited. Then again, thats my opinion. For me, any Resident Evil is like pizza and sex, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

5082f7ea_Slow-Clap.gif

Though I'd prefer more survival horror than action, a good game is still a good game. If it can suck me in, I'm there.

I know a lot people hate on RE5 for clunky controls and absolutely no survival horror elements, but I still love the game.

I don't know what everyone's talking about, the Shanghai part looks incredible. Even if there's cover, it looks like they've improved the mechanics around it (sliding). Okay, so I know the problem is that there's cover in the first place, but eh :/

I really think the sales were so big due to the hype of coming of it being a sequel to one of the best games of all time. I don't think it's because they sacrificed things into making it more like a western shooter that gave it high sales. I think most of it came from the hype train. I think the sales were very frontloaded which would help prove my point.

Although I guess we'll wait and see with how ORC in comparison to Revelations and how well RE6 sells.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Is its really logical to have a 3rd Person Shooter without a cover option this day and age?

why do people comeplain about that..

Any 720 or 1080p downloadables for this trailer yet? I wanna throw this sucker on the PS3 and show my roommate.

I showed her on the phone and she said it looked less good than RE5 - like it wasn't as quality. Truth be told I couldn't see the difference. Maybe on big screen I will.

EDIT: Got an MP4 here. Dunno the quality.
http://www.shacknews.com/file/30113/resident-evil-6-announcement-trailer

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_resident_evil_6_trailer_en_-25479_en.html

thetrin

Not if you have a partner with you the whole time (which the trailer seems to indicate). Then its just another Gears of War clone.

Yes. Obviously. The only thing separating RE2 and Gears of War is another person playing with you. YOU'VE CRACKED THE CASE.

This whole "it's not horror if another person is playing with you" shit needs to end. It can still be horror if you're with someone. To think otherwise is short sighted.

I'm sorry that you love being anti-social and RE used to be your outlet, but I've got a roommate that's constantly saying "Man, this is would be awesome if I could play with you". And guess, what? Now we can. And it's awesome.

(And yes, we had a blast playing RE5 together. And yes, I love old school RE. I've just moved past it because I'm not trying to hold on to the past in a desperate attempt to recapture something that's long gone.)

Is its really logical to have a 3rd Person Shooter without a cover option this day and age?

NO YOU SEE BECAUSE COVER = DUDEBRO OBVIOUSLY YOU JUST DON'T GET IT BECAUSE YOU ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY

Yeah, a lot of people were kind of hoping Arkham City would be co op. After playing through it about six times, I understand that it wouldn't have worked very well.

Games like RE I would prefer the co op option.

thetrin

no kidding, that`s the most poetic thing i`ve read in while. lol.

You've never heard that before?

"Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad...it's still pretty good."

Yeah, a lot of people were kind of hoping Arkham City would be co op. After playing through it about six times, I understand that it wouldn't have worked very well.

Games like RE I would prefer the co op option.

There's really no excuse why there aren't co-op arenas in AC, though.

Kinyou

This whole "it's not horror if another person is playing with you" shit needs to end. It can still be horror if you're with someone. To think otherwise is short sighted.
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with the SP experience.
Sheva in RE 5 was a pain in the ass, Gears of War 3 had the opposite problem with the stupid ass 4 player coop so that you'd always have 3 AI partners with you that mowed down everything before you even got a chance to do anything.

And let's be honest, why even the need to directly integrate the co-op? Like if anyone cared that there were suddenly two Master chiefs in Halo 1 but that only one of them appeared in the cut scenes.

thetrin

I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with the SP experience.

And that's what they really need to work on. I feel for people that want to play the game by themselves, but I like to play co-op. I hope they fix it so SP isn't broken this time. I want everyone to love the game.

Let's all just be friends :D

Your point about Halo is perfect. Those people don't need to be there ALL the time. Just spawn another person when it's coop. Why that needs to be persistent is beyond me.

While I'm still unsure about the game (I don't like the new Leon and there seems too be way too much action), I can already say that it looks miles more intense and fun than Resident Evil 5. I'll be buying this day 1.

TedNindo

Because part of what made the mechanics of RE4 so good won't work with a cover system. It also doesn't need a cover system. The only reason to have a cover system is if enemies fire back. Which I don't want in an RE game. It should be about other kinds of enemies overwhelming you. And running from them and trying to survive, keep control of the situation. Which isn't shooting from behind cover. Otherwise it would just be Gears Of War or Uncharted with zombies that fire guns. Which is a completely different game.

Top Bottom