• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

RE5 demo was not a good representation. It wasn't all action in final game.
The first two and a half chapters were almost pure action recycling the village scenario tons of times over.
You're making them seem as if they're two completely different approaches, while they're not.

They had the same controls but the manner in which you used those controls were very different. Re4s pacing was much slower and much fewer enemies. It allowed you to soak in the atmosphere and it was pretty tense at times. Re5 had a lot more going on and everything was streamlined so that it took you right to the action and once the action ended so did the chapter. The way re5 played was much quicker and action/shooter based compared to re4 the controls simply didnt suit re5s nature.

With that said I did think re5 was a good game just a downright terrible RE game.

Interfectum

RE5 is really one of those games where you can see a tangible difference in developers. Mikami crafted an almost perfect game with RE4. They tried to replicate some of that magic with RE5 and failed miserably. All the pieces are there and look very similar but the craftsmanship is gone.

Lttp on this one, but I'm down for a good old fashioned bro-style, zombie killing romp. I just hope that they break it down better than RE5. I just couldn't do it, and I still feel kinda bummed.

jett

D-Member
Lttp on this one, but I'm down for a good old fashioned bro-style, zombie killing romp. I just hope that they break it down better than RE5. I just couldn't do it, and I still feel kinda bummed.

Because god knows we haven't got enough of those this generation

LiK

I mentioned this in past RE4/RE5 threads.

RE4 is an adventure game with some horror elements.

RE5 is primarily an arcade-like action game with coop.

Personally, I enjoyed both for what they were. I had fun with both. Neither were bad and both had flaws. I found neither game scary.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I mentioned this in past RE4/RE5 threads.

RE4 is an adventure game with some horror elements.

RE5 is primarily an arcade-like action game with coop.

Personally, I enjoyed both for what they were. I had fun with both. Neither were bad and both had flaws. I found neither game scary.

Just don't call it Resident Evil anymore. It's so far removed from that, it's pathetic.

Jett got part of it right in some of his posts.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The way re5 played was much quicker and action/shooter based compared to re4 the controls simply didnt suit re5s nature.
I think it did. Except the attacking from blind spots, the combat was great. Sure it was more fast paced, but the combat delivered the same adrenaline-pumping thrill RE4 did, without the scares.

LiK

Just don't call it Resident Evil anymore. It's so far removed from that, it's pathetic.

Jett got part of it right in some of his posts.
If they use the same characters, then why would it be anything else? RE4 changed the formula first. Maybe change that to Leon's Adventures?

RE4 was one of my favorite games of the decade, but I loved RE5 too, in terms of an easily-accessible RE-like co-op experience. It had a lot of the same flow that I love playing RE solo, in terms of item and inventory management, and upgrades, and so on, that actually do set it apart from random shooters.

After playing the Reberations demo I really can't get too angry over what this game is or is not. I'm getting my awesome horror RE in like two weeks, so more actioney co-op fun in the same year is all good.

RPGCrazied

A month before release. I'm going to buy and play RE 4 on PSN, RE 5 gold edition(had 360 ver, no longer have a 360) to get in the mood! I guess look into umbrella chronicles for some wesker action.

Carbonox

Yes, let's not call it Resident Evil anymore just because it's not a fixed-camera-tank-controlled-jump-scare game.

Makes sense right?

Right?

A month before release. I'm going to buy and play RE 4 on PSN, RE 5 gold edition(had 360 ver, no longer have a 360) to get in the mood! I guess look into umbrella chronicles for some wesker action.

I like this idea.

I own every single RE game. I have only beaten RE4 and 5.

Two months before the game comes out, I will play through all of them in the order they were released. Every. Single. One of them.

Will be the worst two months of my life.

LiK

Two months before the game comes out, I will play through all of them in the order they were released. Every. Single. One of them.

CVX was in heaven during his marathon last year. :p

K' Dash

I'll start right now, I'll be playing REmake tonight.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Uhh... cover system.... only the most boring gameplay mechanic ever but who cares?

Overused, perhaps. I wouldn't say boring. I'm glad cover systems are in shooting games as I've been wondering why we didn't have them most of my young gaming life. It wasn't such a big deal in twitch arcade shooters like Doom but as the genre progressed it was a natural evolution and I'm mostly happy for it.

Cover in an RE game, meh... it felt REALLY out of place in 5 and even the handful of times it managed to pop up in 4. At the point where you were taking cover from gun-wielding enemies in 5 it almost stopped being a Resident Evil game altogether.

Am I the only one that thought RE5 felt like one long game of Mercs?

Hah, that's surprisingly accurate. I never really thought of it that way but you're right, it felt like one long Merc stint with a partner.

AEREC

It's really important for the Vita and WiiU to have RE6 on it. Not sure how much third-party support either gets ever if it can't get a version of this.

Also, I loved RE4, but I've never played RE5. I heard the setpieces were designed worse and the forced co-op was poor, is that the general consensus? I'm still interested...

You heard right...RE5 was still a decent game though...just no where near the game that RE4 was.

Tarin02543

RE4 was really enjoyable to me as the game kept getting better and better towards the end. I have fond memories of the last castle level, some of the mechanics were based from a high quality zelda dungeon.

I hope RE6 has that magical element to it again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This was true for RE1-CV and maybe the first 5 minutes of RE4... maybe.

The horror parts were at the Regenerator sections.

RE5 had horror parts, the Lost in Nightmares DLC.

To me RE5 was not crap because it was more of an action game. The RE series has been more action oriented since RE2. What made RE5 a bad RE game was

-Level design
-Pacing
-No item management
-No yellow herbs
-Lame upgrading system
-Awful bosses
-No horror elements
-Lack of enemy variety
-Terrible enemy placement
-Shorter game
-Coop
-Censored deaths
-Over the top steroid Chris

RE6 cant be any worse than 5

This was true for RE1-CV and maybe the first 5 minutes of RE4... maybe.

I'm not sure what you're implying here so if I misunderstand what you're saying, my apologies. I just tend to see a lot of people downplay re4s horror elements.

Re4 had a ton of horror elements from the village scene, the chainsaw guy, el gigante, the blind wolverine guy, the regenerators, the boss that attacks you from the ceiling while the power is out, the invisible insects roaming the sewer attacking you and the boss battle that has you trapped in a claustrophobic maze.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This game will be shit if Mikami isn't involved.

This is a really dumb way to view video games. Games are made by huge teams of people, not just the whims and vision of one guy.

Luigiv

To me RE5 was not crap because it was more of an action game. The RE series has been more action oriented since RE2. What made RE5 a bad RE game was

-Level design
-Pacing
-No item management
-No yellow herbs
-Lame upgrading system
-Awful bosses
-No horror elements
-Lack of enemy variety
-Terrible enemy placement
-Shorter game
-Coop
-Censored deaths
-Over the top steroid Chris

RE6 cant be any worse than 5

Pretty much this. I'd also like to add,

-Less gratifying feel to shooting
-Bullet sponges in the Mercenaries mode

"Previously on 24..."

This isn't Resident Evil at all, it's some kind of GoW COD: Raccoon City Warfare.

Normal human beings, a sense of isolation, limited ammo, twisted characters, atmosphere, scary monsters, etc. What we don't need is global conspiracies, boulder punching moments, Chloe O'Brian wannabes, over the top action scenes, huge groups of people and the like.

Come on, it's not that hard!

I'm not sure what you're implying here so if I misunderstand what you're saying, my apologies. I just tend to see a lot of people downplay re4s horror elements.

Re4 had a ton of horror elements from the village scene, the chainsaw guy, el gigante, the blind wolverine guy, the regenerators, the boss that attacks you from the ceiling while the power is out, the invisible insects roaming the sewer attacking you and the boss battle that has you trapped in a claustrophobic maze.

I agree with you. RE4 had just as many horror elements as RE2-CV. RE1/REmake are probably the only 2 RE games that you can say are more "horror" like.

StuBurns

Banned
This is a really dumb way to view video games. Games are made by huge teams of people, not just the whims and vision of one guy.
There are games I would think of in that way, while I'd be interested in a Team Ico game with Ueda just out of curiosity, his absence would certainly make me very cautious.

I don't think it's the case here, Mikami headed 4, which is the best in the series, and REmake along with the original, but lots of people think RE2 is the best, and while having some influence in the game, it wasn't his game by any stretch.

If RE6 is garbage, it won't be the absence of Mikami that made it so, anymore than his absence in 99.9999% of video games has an effect. It'd be nice if he directed everything, but alas.

King Boo

you guys have horrible opinions. i like re5 more than re4 all because of wesker and that innocent boulder that was blocking chris.

Interfectum

you guys have horrible opinions. i like re5 more than re4

iYD8nLfbwqmV5.gif

Carbonox

"Previously on 24..."

This isn't Resident Evil at all, it's some kind of GoW COD: Raccoon City Warfare.

Normal human beings, a sense of isolation, limited ammo, twisted characters, atmosphere, scary monsters, etc. What we don't need is global conspiracies, boulder punching moments, Chloe O'Brian wannabes, over the top action scenes, huge groups of people and the like.

Come on, it's not that hard!

Regarding this point, I can't be the only one who likes this style of Resident Evil. It makes sense in the franchise's universe to incorporate warfare as the series progresses. Shit hits the fan over the course of the franchise and it's all about escalation. From a mansion to a town and so on.

This doesn't mean that there isn't room for the old-school survival horror that many people want but that also doesn't mean that this action horror hybrid is unacceptable. Quite the contrary.

This is Resident Evil. Gameplay styles do not dictate a franchise's branding and status. I think that's a silly mistake to make.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sometimes I think there wouldn't be so much controversy over the evolution of RE if the series had remained "Biohazard" in the west.

The original Biohazard is a spooky zombie horror game... for the first half of the game.

The entire twist of Biohazard is that the gothic horror theme gives way to industrial technology and viral mutation themes. It does remain "survival" oriented, but it's not "horror".

But "Resident Evil" sounds like a horror movie title.

The joke, from my point of view, is that after the first half of the original game, the series evolved and diverged constantly! RE2 was a disaster in the city scenario. RE3 was an escape from New York scenario. Code Veronica was actually the precursor to where the series was going... it was mostly about exploring the bizarre world of Umbrella conspiracy, unraveling a mystery, and fighting bizarre bio-engineered monsters.

RE4 was more about tension and survival, with a sense of dread in some places. And it was mostly about mutant monsters, not zombies.

RE5 was an action style game, and once again, it was about tracking down a conspiracy in progress to stop the outbreak of more bioengineered monsters and viruses.

RE6, based on the trailer, seems to take this all to its logical conclusion.

Sometimes, it sure feels as if American RE fans are a bit like N64 era Zelda fans. Their perception of what the series even is, is permanently colored by the very first game they played, and it is not taken into account how the series has changed with every entry. It has never been the same.

At any rate, RE6 just looks as if it'll be a multifaceted game with a lot more content than RE5. I still suspect it's because it didn't have as troubled a dev cycle as RE5. Perhaps its what they intended RE5 to be in the first place.

Varna

That's all well and good and I agree that it definitely had far better horror elements then RE5. But an action game with a horror backdrop is still an action game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dunno, the Leon sections look like they have the potential to be full of horror.

But hey, let's just hate on the trailer guys. That's more fun.

you guys have horrible opinions. i like re5 more than re4 all because of wesker and that innocent boulder that was blocking chris.

There was nothing innocent about that boulder.

Angry Fork

Capcom knows this direction means more sales in the west. They're not ever going back. People just need to accept it.

This isn't necessarily true though. or at least we don't know it yet. Capcom hasn't even tried to do things another way. It's not like they made a big budget survival horror-oriented RE and it completely bombed. All they've been doing is action shit without giving survival horror a chance.

They have no balls and are afraid of doing anything against what the competition does. I'm sure they don't even consider Dead Space competition, instead they look at Gears for gameplay stuff, Uncharted for 'cinematic' set piece shit and RE5 just because it sold a lot.

I dunno, the Leon sections look like they have the potential to be full of horror.

But hey, let's just hate on the trailer guys. That's more fun.

'I don't know, a couple seconds out of 3 minutes looks kind of like, it could be what you guys want...

But stop whining you have no reason to complain...'

Top Bottom