• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

man...

Between this and my indifferent reaction to the RE:Revelations demo, I think I'm done with Resident Evil =(

...kinda scary after being a superfan for so long.

wrowa

Oh God, after reading cvxfreak's tweets I really hope that Ashley isn't going to be on a stupid revenge mission. "Leon, I hate you so much, you killed my daddy!"

Resident Evil should put more focus either on the action or the horror. I'm satisfied with this, it looks like it might be a great shooter experience, something that RE4 wasn't.

FreeMufasa

Resident Evil should put more focus either on the action or the horror. I'm satisfied with this, it looks like it might be a great shooter experience, something that RE4 wasn't.

i agree, which is why I prefer RE5 over 4. RE4 wasn't much outside of being revolutionary.

When I first played RE5, I didn't like it much. I went in with the mindset that I wanted a SH and ended up criticising everything. I replayed it again last year knowing exactly what it was (a 3rd person action game) and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Zen

Banned
So this is the reason why they took the 'action' route with the game. RE5 is the best selling RE game.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...e-dream-says-capcom-action-route-makes-sense/

Bad form Capcom, just like when people talk about how Devil May Cry 4 is the highest selling Devil may Cry game as proof that the series wasn't getting stale, you get a tremendous amount of sales from going day and date multiplatform in conjunction with it being the first (long known and delayed) entry on the HD consoles.

It doesn't hurt that, like Devil may Cry, Resident Evil 5 was coming off one of the strongest entries in the series ever (Resident Evil 4 for RE, and Devil may Cry 3 for Devil May Cry).

Sure RE5 is the highest selling RE game, but that's because of circumstance.

StuBurns

Banned
Are these two teams really capcoms finest now?
For all the talk of 'CapGod', they're been pretty poor this generation I think. Lost Plant 2 was the best of a bad bunch for me. Outside of their fighting game revival, which has been nice.

But being amazing last generation didn't seem to pay off all that well really.

News Bot

Banned
The director, Eiichiro Sasaki, was the director of the Outbreak games. Kobayashi has been involved in every "good" RE game. Yoshiaki Hirabayashi was one of the scenario (script) writers behind BH5.

Take from that what you will. Personally, I think it's a good set-up. I don't like Masachika Kawata very much (UC, DC and ORC, the rather lower spectrum of the series) so I'm glad he doesn't seem to be involved in this.

Okay that was awesome. Looks like Resi 4 + a Platinum Games influence. Looks like a lot of fun, more fun than what we got with Resi 5.

I never expected them to go back to their roots so at least this next step away from them looks like it has potential to be fun.

Anteater

For all the talk of 'CapGod', they're been pretty poor this generation I think. Lost Plant 2 was the best of a bad bunch for me. Outside of their fighting game revival, which has been nice.

I thought dmc4 was pretty good, just not as good as the previous entry, I still think capcom games are really decent and fun to play, at least compare to the other action adventure games this generation.

Globox_82

Banned
Wow, the dialogues in the trailer really sucked. Is it intentional to be that cheesy, or can they just not do anything better? :)

very Japanese. That crossed my mind first time I saw it. I even rolled my eyes somewhere at the end

BTW: I bet demo will be at MS press and every US journalist will act stupid and pretend it is exclusive to xbox. Like they always do...

StuBurns

Banned
I thought dmc4 was pretty good, just not as good as the previous entry, I still think capcom games are really decent and fun to play, at least compare to the other action adventure games this generation.
I think it could have been great, if it wasn't for the very cheap backtracking and reuse of bosses. I think the combat was great, and I liked what that crazy arm brought to it (a lot of GAF seem to hate that), but the reuse of everything really soured me on the game. It felt cheap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If it sticks to city environments with some cool alternate outdoors like RE1 AND makes it scary with them zombies, it's half good already. They have to prove the rest. I don't see how some can get so blindly excited after mangling what the series is in the last 2 installments.

You can make a reboot without getting rid of the series root game play elements.

PnCIa

I am not entirely sure what this is. What the hell did i just watch? Infamous-parkour-bro-Gears-of-Evil-something-action? Trailers are always very "in your face", but this could be a trailer for on of those horrible Resident Evil films :p
Graphics seem to be good, strangely expected them to be better though.

SkylineRKR

Clover and Mikami were responsible for Capcom's best games of the last gen. They all departed.

theDeeDubs

5 was my favorite in the series, and this one looks to up the ante a little. Can't wait. Besides Lost Planet 2, Capcom has been amazing this gen.

.la1n

Where is Outbreak Defense Force GAF? I expected some people going nuts over who's directing this (well, I guess there's God's Beard & his JoJo fetish, lol).

Anyway, I like what I see.
Was I hoping the 'Nightmare' DLC from RE5 an indication of what 6 would be like? Sure, but I like how this seems to be multiple stories with multiple levels of action, converging into a centralized RE story. I hope it's pulled off well.

Looking forward to more details.

I am hoping the story isn't pre-RE5 though. :/

I don't see how when Chris looks older. Of course who knows the game is a year out.

Luigiv

I dunno, Capcom still had some amazing productions this gen, especially on handhelds (ironically enough, their worst work is on mobiles).

I'm no CVXfreak but I own every mainline RE, the GC remakes and some spinoff titles like UC, so you can say I'm pretty invested in he franchise. For me personally, "RE" died with RE5. I didn't like the direction Capcom went for.

This trailer does nothing to me, RE wise. I must say the Leon parts look interesting, but wow @ steroid Chris doing a janky version of Gears of War, fighting armed enemies. That stuff looked as janky as the armored "cover" encounters in the final stages of RE5 were. Those few seconds turned me off on the game already. It's a bit unfair though and I will of course buy the game, but I guess I suffer a bit from oldmancloud syndrome. This is not the RE as I would like it. (slow, methodical, puzzle, creepy remote location). But I can understand the direction Capcom went with it. To me it has become more of a Dead Rising type game which takes itself seriously.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm no CVXfreak but I own every mainline RE, the GC remakes and some spinoff titles like UC, so you can say I'm pretty invested in he franchise. For me personally, "RE" died with RE5. I didn't like the direction Capcom went for.

This trailer does nothing to me, RE wise. I must say the Leon parts look interesting, but wow @ steroid Chris doing a janky version of Gears of War, fighting armed enemies. That stuff looked as janky as the armored "cover" encounters in the final stages of RE5 were. Those few seconds turned me off on the game already. It's a bit unfair though and I will of course buy the game, but I guess I suffer a bit from oldmancloud syndrome. This is not the RE as I would like it. (slow, methodical, puzzle, creepy remote location). But I can understand the direction Capcom went with it. To me it has become more of a Dead Rising type game which takes itself seriously.

How the mighty have fallen. I basically agree with you. I liked part of what I saw but I'm not full on in after the last game. Some here are already going "take my money" like it's already signed, sealed, delivered!

Helscream

Banned
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that ''Maybe'' Capcom is taking the route of Action/Horror because of Dead Space. I say Dead Space because after how disappointed I was with RE5. Dead Space was truly able to hit the sweet spot for me. And I personally liked being able to defend myself and having a fighting chance to stay alive while at the same time feeling the extreme tension that at any moment a necromorph could bust through a vent and take my head clean off. I know that Resident Evil is the one that started it all, but it has been disappointing me with the last few installments of the series.

I remeber when Resident Evil use to be truly ''Survival Horror'' when you really had to conserve ammo and decide whether or not engaging a enemy was necessary or if you should just downright avoid them. Then fast forward to Resident Evil 4. Even though the game was great, near the end of that game it really became a 3rd person shooter and really lost any sense of ''horror''. The trailer seems promising, even though it seems to retain some of those 3rd person shooter elements. It still doesn't mean it cannot have moments of extreme tension.

I am hopeful but not delusional. I really hope Capcom can return Resident Evil to its former glory. I for one greatly desire to see this happen.

Xpliskin

The capcom livestream had a 30 minutes presentation about resident evil 6.

I can't find a decent translation.

edit: It seems the co-op is completely optional. If you choose to play single player, the AI partner is not there with you.

Luigiv

edit: It seems the co-op is completely optional. If you choose to play single player, the AI partner is not there with you.

That sounds alright, though that's only half the equation. Hopefully the enemies/hordes have been hand balanced for each mode individually.

i'm glad, not because i didn't love RE5 co-op, but because i didn't love the single player (beat co-op 3 times... never beaten it by myself).

also, do close friends of the president really call him 'Mr President'?

Rpgmonkey

Well I'm not seeing much emphasis on fear with Chris and the other guy, but they seem to be doing a great job with Leon. It appears to be a middle-ground between the slow (and IMO, rather boring) zombies of the older games and the silly gun-toting super zombies of the newer ones that I was hoping they would go for, complete with some dark, atmospheric environments and (hopefully) more fluid and interesting controls. Hopefully it has puzzles too.

I want to see more of the other two parts to see how they'll bring in the horror element if they're going for that with them as well, right now they seem to be more about over-the-top action with mutant creatures as enemies. :p

Great news! Now I'm even more interested.

That's fantastic. The coop in RE5 was fun, but it always bothered me to have a robotic AI with me when I played alone. The Jill/Wesker fight was also completely broken on higher difficulties, because Sheva always messed up.
So that's great news!

Xpliskin

I can't stop imagining how this RE 6 feels to the father of the series, or how he would have handled it.

Like, tango gameworks has got the very core resident evil team members and his creator.
too bad I don't know japanese, someone should interview him.

Top Bottom