• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - How good/bad is this game?

GatorBait

2014 began almost a mere two months ago, and it was at that point that I decided I would aggressively tackle my "virtual backlog" so that I could send my PS3 off into the sunset at the end of the year and replace it with a shiny, new PS4. (As a side-note, I say "virtual backlog" because a few years ago I finally weaned myself off the practice of buying games and then letting them sit for months/years before finally getting around to playing them. Now I just keep a Google Document with the games I want to play and make my way down it when I'm ready to play one.)

I open my mail this week and that white and orange Gamefly sleeve is staring back at me...inside: Resident Evil 6. I barely know what to expect from this game. I don't know if I'm excited to play it, or if I'm just doing so out of obligation at this point. What do I have to look forward to with this one? Is it a fun ride or a disaster? What did you love or hate about this game? (Full disclosure: RE4 is one of my top-3 favorite games of all time, whereas I thought RE5 was a very average 3rd-person shooter.)

Archurro

Make sure you read the GAF guide before-hand. There's a bunch of stuff in the game that the game doesn't teach you, which are vital to playing well. But I thought it was really fun, better than GAF gives it credit for.

Ein Bear

The core mechanics are really great (I forsee most of the positive replies in the thread mentioning Mercenaries mode), but the campaign is a bit dodgy.

It's not as bad as Internet hyperbole makes out, especially post-patches, but it's by far the weakest entry in the series. I'd give it a whirl, but try and keep the god-tier glory of RE4 out of your mind whilst you play it. It's a decent enough romp, and especially fun in co-op.

I heard the combat is rad and everything else is bad, never played it but as an action game fan I have a bit of biased and combat focused mentality. So im looking forward to trying it.

Recall

Underwhelming and uneven. It moves even farther away from its roots and whether that's for the best is up to the individual.

Expect a little frustration though there are highs just very few and extremely far between. It is all about expectations and what you want from a Resident Evil title.

X-Factor

RE6 is a terrible game.

I really liked RE4 and RE5.

RE6 felt very lazily designed. Capcom should avoid outsourcing to China.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Honestly it's very very boring, even in coop, and I loved RE5. I genuinely wouldn't buy it, not much fun, gunplay is awful, enemies are uninspired, overall really boring game.

Levyne

Banned
Story mode with a friend is dumb fun, you can enjoy the absurdity and set pieces. A fun romp even if you don't finish it all.

Mercenaries mode is pretty great, and can be some fun even single player as well, great fun in co-op.

AEREC

Gameplay was good...story was Meh.

Leon had the best campaign and closest to the classic RE feels, while Jakes campaign was probably the worst. Chris campaign was somewhere in between. Havent tried Ada's yet.

I thought it was really bad. And I really liked RE5 and RE4 is one of the best games of all time.
There were some sections I actually enjoyed but most of the time I was just embarrased on how bad it was. I have no idea how anybody at capcom could have played it and thought it was good. Those QTE's, I can't even describe how bad they are.

SmithnCo

Mercs is fun. I thought story had too much filler and occasional QTE BS. They could've cut it down because it's pretty long as it is.

Best third person shooter ever made. Incredible combat and great diversity in the campaigns that works to the game's advantage more often not. If nothing else the Mercs mode is worth the price of admission alone. Just read a combat guide before you get started as the game teaches you nothing despite being incredibly technical.

Also ignore anyone who says it is a gears ripoff because it's nonsensical. Also ignore the qte complaints because there are less than the previous games ans they can even be disabled now.

Whompa

bad story and clunky gameplay. NOT SURVIVAL HORROR IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Sherry was an awesome return character though. Shame her first return had to be in this game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's great, it's a melting point of ideas and scenarios thrown together to make this huuuuuuuge game of which some parts work and some parts don't. Hell I admire it for ambition alone tbh. However its combat IS fantastic and well worth experiencing, doubly so if you are on PC (it's one of the action games where I felt 60fps makes especially a good difference)

Leon: Great
Chris: Good
Wesker Jr.: Okay, frustrating at times

They all suffer from wtf moments, though. I enjoyed it, though. My friend and I played re5 so many times so we had to play re6. 5 is better, but 6 isn't bad.

KarmaCow

It really feels like a game made by a bagillion people, with different teams having different, sometimes conflicting agendas.

There are some good parts (combat mechanics for the most part), a lot of bad parts (pretty much everything else) and fails to be a cohesive package.

Beck

I mean, I had a lot of fun while playing it with a friend, but single player isn't any good.

Timmy00

The gameplay/shooting mechanics is pretty good but I found most of the campaigns to be pretty crappy. There were a few good moments but that's about it. Mercenaries is pretty damn fun though.

joe2187

Banned
bad story and clunky gameplay. NOT SURVIVAL HORROR IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Sherry was an awesome return character though. Shame her first return had to be in this game.

RE hasnt been survial horror in ten years man, stop coming to RE for that.

Campaign was terribly clunky, but the gameplay was like smooth butter on a toast of sex.

Play it for the Co-Op, play it for the Mercs, dont play it expecting survival horror or anything resembling a coherent narrative (since RE has never had that)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They all suffer from wtf moments, though.
True, but I think if you stick with it, the game really, really grows out of them.

If you are only in it to play through single player once, those moments are going to stand out, but that obviously isn't what the game was made to be about. You can replay anything in any number of co-op settings for a reason, and the multiplayer modes are extensive for a reason. The innovations it makes for both gameplay mechanics and online play are pure genius. Once you have played through a chapter once, you know the tricks, so it's all about fun. And this late into the game, pretty much any co-op matching is going to pair you with someone who knows what is going on, so you can follow them.

My only lasting issue with the game is actually not the game itself, but how slow the website it. The idea of the website is really great, and provides an external momentum to try different things and replay stuff in different ways, but the slow performance of the site makes it less enticing.

RE hasnt been survial horror in ten years man, stop coming to RE for that.
This too. And even when it was survival horror, those who received the games most enthusiastically didn't treat it like that. Hardcore fans played hard, and hardcore fans loved the more action-oriented special modes that have existed since Battle Game in RE1. It has been the trajectory the series was on since then, and RE6 basically perfected the integration with the main story modes as far as I am concerned. That doesn't mean the campaigns are without some design flaws, but the overall gameplay flow and the way it ties with campaign is perfectly in line with how the series has progressed.

LogN

The gameplay was great, but the story was terrible. It is a fun co-op game though, it also managed to look worse than RE5 in my opinion.

It's really, really bad. There seems to be a subset of people on GAF that love the game because of the combat system, but even if you like the combat I don't see how you can still ignore the numerous glaring flaws in the game. Even judging it as an action game instead of a horror game, it's still bad.

Even though Resi 5 was a worse version of Resi 4, it still had two things going for it: 1) it's still fairly similar to Resi 4, so it has a decent foundation like the awesome combat, upgrading weapons, and a few tense moments with guanado's and chainsaw guys (although again, definitely not on the level of 4) and 2) it's an amazing co-op game that really fosters teamwork strategies like watching each other's backs, setting up traps, managing inventory between two people. Especially on the harder difficulties the game really makes you work together and is a total blast.

Resi 6 deviates from the Resi 4 mold, and is quite an ambitious game, but suffers for it. It has 4 distinct campaigns which is neat in concept, but in execution you get 4 half-baked campaigns with recycled elements towards the end. The art design is substantially worse in this game with very few memorable, or freaky creatures (so while 5 might have just had re-skinned enemies from 4, they're still better than the J'avvo and co.). All the campaigns also feel cobbled together by bland recreations of set-pieces from better big budget action games, and are scattered with deviations from the core gameplay--ostensibly to add variety--but the mechanics are just so broken that they are a chore to play. Seriously, whoever put the driving segments or "scale the skyscraper by alternating holding down the shoulder buttons while a giant monster is chasing you" in the game, can fuck right off.

And whereas Resi 5 was saved by being an amazing co-op experience, 6's co-op adds absolutely nothing to the game. I beat both 5 and 6 with the same friend in split screen, and while in 5 we were always communicating, planning, and giving eachother ammo, in 6 I don't think we exchanged any items or came up with any strategies besides 'run around in the same general vicinity and beat the shit out of everything we see". I firmly believe co-op makes even bad games fun, so while 6 wasn't a total waste of time, me and my friend spent more time talking and laughing about how bad the game was while playing it, rather than actually having to communicate to play. I found 5 to be bland in single player, so I can't even imagine how bad this game would be playing solo.

Also the beginning of 6 isprobably the worst of any game I've played, the complete opposite of 4's perfect opening.

I didn't even like the gameplay somehow.

Heh, I mean to each his own. It isn't a game I love to defend per se because it's not at all what I personally want the series to be, but I would be lying if I said that I thought the gameplay sucked. I'd be lying if I said I thought the gameplay was anything less than awesome. The controls and movesets I found to be terrific, and as usual the extra modes were tons of fun.

It's really, really bad. There seems to be a subset of people on GAF that love the game because of the combat system, but even if you like the combat I don't see how you can still ignore the numerous glaring flaws in the game. Even judging it as an action game instead of a horror game, it's still bad.

Even though Resi 5 was a worse version of Resi 4, it still had two things going for it: 1) it's still fairly similar to Resi 4, so it has a decent foundation like the awesome combat, upgrading weapons, and a few tense moments with guanado's and chainsaw guys (although again, definitely not on the level of 4) and 2) it's an amazing co-op game that really fosters teamwork strategies like watching each other's backs, setting up traps, managing inventory between two people. Especially on the harder difficulties the game really makes you work together and is a total blast.

Resi 6 deviates from the Resi 4 mold, and is quite an ambitious game, but suffers for it. It has 4 distinct campaigns which is neat in concept, but in execution you get 4 half-baked campaigns with recycled elements towards the end. The art design is substantially worse in this game with very few memorable, or freaky creatures (so while 5 might have just had re-skinned enemies from 4, they're still better than the J'avvo and co.). All the campaigns also feel cobbled together by bland recreations of set-pieces from better big budget action games, and are scattered with deviations from the core gameplay--ostensibly to add variety--but the mechanics are just so broken that they are a chore to play. Seriously, whoever put the driving segments or "scale the skyscraper by alternating holding down the shoulder buttons while a giant monster is chasing you" in the game, can fuck right off.

And whereas Resi 5 was saved by being an amazing co-op experience, 6's co-op adds absolutely nothing to the game. I beat both 5 and 6 with the same friend in split screen, and while in 5 we were always communicating, planning, and giving eachother ammo, in 6 I don't think we exchanged any items or came up with any strategies besides 'run around in the same general vicinity and beat the shit out of everything we see". I firmly believe co-op makes even bad games fun, so while 6 wasn't a total waste of time, me and my friend spent more time talking and laughing about how bad the game was while playing it, rather than actually having to communicate to play. I found 5 to be bland in single player, so I can't even imagine how bad this game would be playing solo.

Also the beginning of 6 isprobably the worst of any game I've played, the complete opposite of 4's perfect opening.

Bingo, I'm constantly surprised how many people on GAF liked RE6 so much. I feel like it's the only place on the internet that I see this, too. I went into that game with a pretty open mind and after 5 hours I...just had to stop.

eXistor

It's both very good and very bad at the same time. It's such an interesting mess that I've ended up having an unexpected blast with the game. I've always imagined the initial brainstorming session as a room full of development staff writing their individual ideas on a piece of paper and throwing them all randomly at a wall smeared with glue. Instead of seeing what would and wouldn't work, they just decided to use everything on the wall, no matter the order it was in.

It's a glorious trainwreck of a game and I love it.

legacyzero

Banned
Game was terrible. The only good thing about it was Assignment Ada, which felt like a great RE addition. The rest? Terrible, forced co-op garbage.

At first it can feel like a drink of orange juice after you've brushed your teeth, but over time it can become much more palatable if you understand that the campaign is flawed but the gameplay mechanics are not. It's a weird game.

Seriously, RE6 has some of the best TPS mechanics out there today, but they're held back by a campaign where you aren't taught them well enough (though simple button experimentation will let you figure some out on your own if you've ever played video games). The mechanics then become a godsend for Mercenaries, and they make going back to the older games a bit more difficult.

The Mercenaries is fun, but The Mercenaries No Mercy on PC is \o/ \o/ \o/ So much action, so much death, so many clutch moments... So. Fucking. Good.

And if you can find an online buddy to play it with, get the Onslaught Mode DLC. It's 1v1 goodness.

Manu

It's both very good and very bad at the same time. It's such an interesting mess that I've ended up having an unexpected blast with the game. I've always imagined the initial brainstorming session as a room full of development staff writing their individual ideas on a piece of paper and throwing them all randomly at a wall smeared with glue. Instead of seeing what would and wouldn't work, they just decided to use everything on the wall, no matter the order it was in.

It's a glorious trainwreck of a game and I love it.

This, pretty much. It's a game with an amazing and tight combat system hidden on four of the crappiest, most linear, QTE and setpiece ridden campaigns ever.

I loved it. Got the platinum trophy.

Top Bottom