• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - How good/bad is this game?

It's not bad. Some campaigns are better than others. Not sure if I'd play it again solo but I might do it local coop as I think the game is most fun that way.

Beat Leon's campaign..

Doesn't compare to RE4 or 5.. feels like a lite version.

These campaigns better come together at the end, and give more content, because what we got in Leon's campaign was a joke.

All the characters are simplified parodies of their former selves.

• "Hi, I'm Leon, and I know the president. I've been through countless outbreaks, but I still act like I'm seeing zombies for the first time and ask the zombie president to please stop coming toward me to eat my brains. Also I say "SHIT" a lot."
  • "Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a military muscle man, and now I can fly jets."
  • "Hi, I'm Ada. I'm a sneaky spy and Leon has a crush on me. I will help sometimes."
  • "Hi.. I'm Derek. I'm the only antagonist in Leon's campaign and you fight me a few times. I inexplicably transform into mutations of a dinosaur and a beetle. You've never heard of me and you'll never hear from me again, because I'm even less interesting than the downsyndrome guy from RE5."

The plot feels nonexistent. One moment you're exploding in the White House. The next moment, you're exploding in China. There is one puzzle, and it involves shooting bells with a sniper rifle for 20 seconds.

It's certainly not 3 and 4/10 bad. But it's a shame this is now what is called Resident Evil.

I can't be the only one who realizes that the story of Resident Evil 5 and 6 are just the gradual progression of events that happened in previous Resident Evils right? I mean, the attempts at organizations and super mutant dudes (Wesker, whoever main bad is for the game.) are constantly getting thwarted but a few human beings. Their entire apocalypses getting brought down by a single man or woman or a small team, I mean a single human being killing 100+ biologically engineered monstrosities in a span of two days and it's crazy to think they stepped up their game?

These games even since the first Resident Evil aren't some artistic masterpieces that painted beautiful strokes of horror over a canvas of amazing story and layered with great gameplay. The storylines have always been cheesy, the characters mostly one dimensional, the villains extremely absurd and the horror/gameplay entertaining. There have been so many whys and wtfs throughout the entire history of this game, yet the latest adventures (RE5 & RE6) are held to some new high standard and their bullshit (Strong word, bullshit should be absurdity.) is unacceptable?

Where could these games have progressed naturally? These people are expert mutant mass murdering machines who in their first encounters with these threats prevented catastrophes every time.

And why is RE4 so much better than RE5 - RE6? RE6 was very little on the puzzles but outside of one or two actual difficult puzzle in RE4 they were mostly time sinks. RE5 & RE6's controls are a big step up from RE4 and the environments are pretty varied in all of the games. Guns are upgradeable all the same, monsters get just as ridiculous in each game. Each game has ridiculous story elements, Leon's absurd love/compassion for ada even though they've exchanged strictly superficial encounters in the second game. Why they only sent one agent to deal with the presidents daughter getting kidnapped in the first place? Why would they send him armed with solely a pistol when a foreign potential terrorist group has KIDNAPPED THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER.

There are parts of the recipe that differ in each game but they aren't so different that they can't be appreciated for the Resident Evil games that they are.

I'm ranting too much. RE6 is a perfectly good game and is a lot of fun to play, its controls are a great evolution in the TPS genre, the gunplay is really satisfying and the voice actors are pretty fun to hear in the situations they're put in. I enjoyed the game a lot, and potentially more than any previous resident evil due to co-op.

( Edit: My experiences with RE6 were post-patch on PC, so I can't vouch for launch RE6. I hear it was terrible and buggy. And I gave a little less credit to RE4 when you were in the cage dealing with the BoW trying to run around while it kept dropping. That was pretty great.)

I guess it's a matter of preference, and I can fully understand and envy someone who looks at it in that fashion.

Unfortunately, I find if hard to believe that someone can be so ridiculously adept at hand-to-hand and pull ninja moves against things that are largely designed to make mince-meat of anything that gets near them, especially when taking the setting into account. At least Jake has a good excuse. Even MGS had to make people cyborgs to achieve that level of overpowering functionality.

As for the cheesiness and absurdness of the games, that wasn't intentional design and largely was restricted in the delivering of lines (localization) rather than the content of them or everything else surrounding them. I know some people believe that before 4 it was intentional, but it wasn't and our resident GAF expert on RE can attest to it. And apart from Alexia, I'm finding it hard to recall an absurd villain through and through. Maybe faux-Marcus, but then that element was the outlier of the game and existed nothing more than to be a twist.

RE5 and RE6 suffer from trying to be both the classic games and RE4 in terms of narrative, and it just doesn't work [for me]. The absurd elements ruin the sense of it being serious business, while the serious elements ruin the enjoyment of the silliness. I think the team working on RE4 recognized this issue during development and went full speed in one direction with the narrative instead of trying to pander to both. That or felt why the hell not after the conclusion of CVX and Zero :p

As for why RE5 and RE6 fall short in regards to gameplay, see my previous post, especially why the great controls of RE6 weren't enough to pull that game through. IMO of course. And I truly am jealous of those who really perfected things over in Mercs and found that there was where the enjoyment of the game was located.

And REmake is a masterpiece at horror game design. Don't see how that's even remotely arguable outside of 'Tank controls!'.

Kagutaba

So Uncharted 3 is now a bad game?

To me yes. The jittery spinning top movement, the d-pad aiming and the mob of totally three enemy types alone makes Uncharted 3 a bad third-person-shooter. The climbing sections and the Set-pieces-before-story design is not going to save it either.

SoulClap

Resident Evil 6 is basically a good version of Uncharted 3; it still got the focus on awful set-pieces and nonsense story, but Resident Evil 6 actually makes up for it with great TPS mechanics.

It's nowhere near as enjoyable to play through as Uncharted 3. I would have liked RE6 if the combat mechanics were even remotely intuitive.

altez

Neo Member
Beat Leon's campaign..

Doesn't compare to RE4 or 5.. feels like a lite version.

These campaigns better come together at the end, and give more content, because what we got in Leon's campaign was a joke.

All the characters are simplified parodies of their former selves.

• "Hi, I'm Leon, and I know the president. I've been through countless outbreaks, but I still act like I'm seeing zombies for the first time and ask the zombie president to please stop coming toward me to eat my brains. Also I say "SHIT" a lot."
  • "Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a military muscle man, and now I can fly jets."
  • "Hi, I'm Ada. I'm a sneaky spy and Leon has a crush on me. I will help sometimes."
  • "Hi.. I'm Derek. I'm the only antagonist in Leon's campaign and you fight me a few times. I inexplicably transform into mutations of a dinosaur and a beetle. You've never heard of me and you'll never hear from me again, because I'm even less interesting than the downsyndrome guy from RE5."

The plot feels nonexistent. One moment you're exploding in the White House. The next moment, you're exploding in China. There is one puzzle, and it involves shooting bells with a sniper rifle for 20 seconds.

It's certainly not 3 and 4/10 bad. But it's a shame this is now what is called Resident Evil.

I mean to be fair in Chris's case, he has seen some crap and realizes his former Stars commander (I believe Wesker was?) is now a super mutant martial arts ninja master. Chris working out and preparing himself for the fight along with dealing with countless creatures and scenarios he would be put up against in the following years can't be too surprising. I too would try to get to the peak of my physical condition if I knew the things Chris did and had to deal with them. (At the very least in this game we see a somewhat reluctant douchey Chris which is step in fleshing out the character a little more other than stalwart hero who is doing what they must.)

Ada has basically always been this way through every single Resident evil game.

Leon always seems pretty surprised in his game that events could unfold this way.
Also a small theme in the game between Chris and Leon seems to be hope. Leon is hopeful while Chris is jaded and reluctant and he slowly moves to the hopeful side again when dealing with Pierce and his story. (This might be maybe another attempt at character development other than obvious reacting to environmental/monstrous hazards that we've seen before.)

And for Derek, I mean we see this similar event in Resident evil 1. It's other stuff happening, other stuff happening, other stuff happening, Wesker is a double agent, other stuff happening, Tyrant boss. Just because tyrant was your final boss doesn't mean he was the point of the game. More like another obstacle just like Derek was for Leon and Helena.

And did Derek need to be that interesting? I mean Tyrant was nothing other than a monster, Nemesis was a stalking BoW created to eliminate Stars members and these guys seemed fine and are iconic. Derek's trying to thwart your attempts and turns into a monster but isn't good enough to be that monster because he didn't have an elaborate agenda or great personality?

(I don't mean these things as an attack, more just a different opinion on matters to try to flesh out the game.)There seemed to be a plot unfolding throughout the game granted things were exploding everywhere they were blowing up for a reason.

Manu

[*]"Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a military muscle man, and now I can fly jets."

Chris has always known how to fly a jet as he was in the US Air Force before joining the RPD/STARS.

He pilots a jet in Code Veronica too, except you don't get to play it.

EDIT: beaten.

Uh, Chris was a pilot. He was the backup pilot for alpha team way back in the original. He piloted a harrier in CV as well. It's not like it's totally weird for him.

Was about to mention this, though I agree that Leon and Chris were parodies of themselves despite the effort they did put in for Chris. He/she forgot for Chris though:
'Why can't I keep bad things from happening to my partners/teams?'

On another note, I'm starting to wonder a bit about the TPS control arguments. I've been giving them a lot of praise too, but it's somewhat a narrower mindset of 'gameplay first' that is now 'controls first' that I've seen for those saying it's a great game due to the controls. For the most part I've been suspecting that they are referring to the controls when playing Mercenaries mode rather than the campaign, but now I'm not so sure.

Not that I'm discounting that the controls can't make the game for some. It's just that the rest of the game seemed designed without those controls in mind that is making me scratch my head a bit.

altez

Neo Member
I guess it's a matter of preference, and I can fully understand and envy someone who looks at it in that fashion.

Unfortunately, I find if hard to believe that someone can be so ridiculously adept at hand-to-hand and pull ninja moves against things that are largely designed to make mince-meat of anything that gets near them, especially when taking the setting into account. At least Jake has a good excuse. Even MGS had to make people cyborgs to achieve that level of overpowering functionality.

As for the cheesiness and absurdness of the games, that wasn't intentional design and largely was restricted in the delivering of lines (localization) rather than the content of them or everything else surrounding them. I know some people believe that before 4 it was intentional, but it wasn't and our resident GAF expert on RE can attest to it. And apart from Alexia, I'm finding it hard to recall an absurd villain through and through. Maybe faux-Marcus, but then that element was the outlier of the game and existed nothing more than to be a twist.

RE5 and RE6 suffer from trying to be both the classic games and RE4 in terms of narrative, and it just doesn't work [for me]. The absurd elements ruin the sense of it being serious business, while the serious elements ruin the enjoyment of the silliness. I think the team working on RE4 recognized this issue during development and went full speed in one direction with the narrative instead of trying to pander to both. That or felt why the hell not after the conclusion of CVX and Zero :p

As for why RE5 and RE6 fall short in regards to gameplay, see my previous post, especially why the great controls of RE6 weren't enough to pull that game through. IMO of course. And I truly am jealous of those who really perfected things over in Mercs and found that there was where the enjoyment of the game was located.

And REmake is a masterpiece at horror game design. Don't see how that's even remotely arguable outside of 'Tank controls!'.

I'm not saying the previous games were bad and I enjoyed them a lot even with the controls the way they were. I didn't think the controls were bad but were just different, but as for general controlling a character the more recent games were more responsive.

Then again those controls were what set the earlier Resident evil's in their cast of the type of games they were. REmake is a fun game (I don't personally find it a masterpiece at horror game design, but I agree that it is in fact a good and enjoyable game), I'm just more arguing towards all the games being fun games but just different for what they were trying to achieve. I don't personally think RE5 and RE6 were bad games but just different or possible intended evolutions of the series. I kind of figured the game was so tongue in cheek silly at times because of the translation issues like you said but I wonder if Capcom just rolled with it and played on it in later games.

I don't think the adeptness at hand-to-hand is that crazy considering they've been in these perils for nearly 10 years. I feel like that is a long time to train, hone, and become experts at some field. Some fights are pretty absurd and I'd love to see some boulder try to get in Chris's way again lol. They're pretty reasonable in a lot of the hand to hand fighting they pull off, experts against creatures who seem to have their mental state debilitated by mutation and etc. (Sherry berkin I'm not sure, she hasn't been of age to train for that long and seems out of place she can handle herself that well. But Leon and Chris have been around for a while. Helena was some kind of agent I can't recall, and Jake is son of Wesker grand ninja master supreme.)

The absurd villains more so from a power scale and their rationality. These people are always psychopaths reaching for an apocalypse or world domination. RE6 had that, as did RE4 and RE5. It's just these later REs are becoming global affairs which I think was Capcom's attempt at trying to amp up what Umbrella or Wesker had been trying to pull since the first game.

I mean to be fair in Chris's case, he has seen some crap and realizes his former Stars commander (I believe Wesker was?) is now a super mutant martial arts ninja master. Chris working out and preparing himself for the fight along with dealing with countless creatures and scenarios he would be put up against in the following years can't be too surprising. I too would try to get to the peak of my physical condition if I knew the things Chris did and had to deal with them. (At the very least in this game we see a somewhat reluctant douchey Chris which is step in fleshing out the character a little more other than stalwart hero who is doing what they must.)

Ada has basically always been this way through every single Resident evil game.

Leon always seems pretty surprised in his game that events could unfold this way.
Also a small theme in the game between Chris and Leon seems to be hope. Leon is hopeful while Chris is jaded and reluctant and he slowly moves to the hopeful side again when dealing with Pierce and his story. (This might be maybe another attempt at character development other than obvious reacting to environmental/monstrous hazards that we've seen before.)

And for Derek, I mean we see this similar event in Resident evil 1. It's other stuff happening, other stuff happening, other stuff happening, Wesker is a double agent, other stuff happening, Tyrant boss. Just because tyrant was your final boss doesn't mean he was the point of the game. More like another obstacle just like Derek was for Leon and Helena.

And did Derek need to be that interesting? I mean Tyrant was nothing other than a monster, Nemesis was a stalking BoW created to eliminate Stars members and these guys seemed fine and are iconic. Derek's trying to thwart your attempts and turns into a monster but isn't good enough to be that monster because he didn't have an elaborate agenda or great personality?

(I don't mean these things as an attack, more just a different opinion on matters to try to flesh out the game.)There seemed to be a plot unfolding throughout the game granted things were exploding everywhere they were blowing up for a reason.

Leon had the excuse in 4 for BOWs not being suspected or even resembling what he faced in Raccoon City with the T/G-virus. In RE6 that excuse isn't viable, though someone can argue that Leon was just dealing with having someone close to him having turned.

And I was rather harsh about Chris, and his progression is probably the most natural alongside Sherry's. The only unfortunate factor that outside of his PTSD, it's the same old story for him and factors nearly exclusively on what finally caused the PTSD rather than the events from the Spencer Mansion, Rockfort Island, Spencer's Estate, and Africa taken into account (from what I recall).

It would be nice to see some change to Ada. I mean, we don't go and play the sequels to most cinematic style games expecting characters to remain the same without change. All we got was some insight into what we already knew, and little else from what I recall. For the most part she's nothing more than a delivery device for the only bit of mystery left in the series.

The chief difference between Derek and those other end-game beings was that Derek was largely the drive of the game (him and consequences of his actions regarding Ada) and had a far reaching scope into every aspect. And he didn't have to be interesting, but the game unfortuneately made a big deal out of him beyond his means. Tyrant, Birkin, and Nemesis worked because they were simple, driven creations that didn't need some cheeseblock plot to keep them standing. Derek suffers somewhat how Wesker suffered in the end: Being too much and going too left-field when it mattered most to not go there.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
To me yes. The jittery spinning top movement, the d-pad aiming and the mob of totally three enemy types alone makes Uncharted 3 a bad third-person-shooter. The climbing sections and the Set-pieces-before-story design is not going to save it either.

I would hate to be you, then.

But I respect your opinion.

Lernaean

Banned
RE6 is the kind of game that tries to be too many things and ends up being all that but failing to be great at everything.

It's story is the grandest of all RE's and personally on my top5, but it suffers here and there to the point of breaking all immersion.

Visually it tries to be a powerhouse, and it does use all the tricks in the book, but it feels like a pizza that has too many materials, too many good, delicious and fresh ingredients, that in the end feels bland and tasteless.

And the gameplay. Oh the gameplay. This game has the foundations to be one of the greatest action games of all time. It's funny how many similarities it shares with Vanquish, like as if Mikami made RE4 and then from it, two games evolved. One is Mikami's own Vanquish and the other is Capcom's RE6. They are so different and still it's obvious they share the same DNA.

Play any of the two as a conservative cover shooter and you're doing it wrong. Can you play it like that? Sure you can, but you're doing it wrong. RE6 is fast, frantic, you stun an enemy and the run to beat the crap out of them and while you do that counter the one that comes behind you.

Chris and Leon and everyone else are not the cops that got stuck in that Mansion or that Police Station too long ago, they have seen their share of action and they have evolved, and with them so has the combat. Some don't like that, some think that after a decade of killing unspeakable horrors and hunting bioterrorists around the globe one would still be the same wary, slow, frightened rookie, well things change, evolve, and so does RE.
RE is not called Resident Evil, it's called Biohazard. A silly legal obstruction did not permit the title to be released as such in the west, but the series are not about an Evil in a Residence, it's about Bioterrorism, the plan of some crazies that started small and now it's spread all over, and RE6 delivers on that evolution.

For me it's my fourth/fifth best Biohazard and one of the best games last gen, and while i have many things in my mind concerning the evolution of the series, and another RE6 is not it, my dream RE game borrows too many things from RE6's combat.

Just to be a dick i'll say that even if i didn't convince you with my wall of text, know this : RE6 is 100 times better than that RE4 ripoff, re-skin with an African theme that was RE5.

I guess it's an argument of tastes.

I liked it when RE was survival horror, and the story gradually unfolded in notes, diaries, and the occasional NPC. Even RE4 is a masterpiece in this regard compared to RE5 and 6.

RE6, in my opinion, is basically this:

g-i-joe-intro.gif

I imagine a Japanese executive speaking to the development team.. ->

"Please make this game *shows slide of Uncharted 3*. This is big American success game. Make many explosions. We also know Western market loves Transformers 2.. please make it more like this film. American Hollywood movie is your inspiration."

altez

Neo Member
Leon had the excuse in 4 for BOWs not being suspected or even resembling what he faced in Raccoon City with the T/G-virus. In RE6 that excuse isn't viable, though someone can argue that Leon was just dealing with having someone close to him having turned.

And I was rather harsh about Chris, and his progression is probably the most natural alongside Sherry's. The only unfortunate factor that outside of his PTSD, it's the same old story for him and factors nearly exclusively on what finally caused the PTSD rather than the events from the Spencer Mansion, Rockfort Island, Spencer's Estate, and Africa taken into account (from what I recall).

It would be nice to see some change to Ada. I mean, we don't go and play the sequels to most cinematic style games expecting characters to remain the same without change. All we got was some insight into what we already knew, and little else from what I recall. For the most part she's nothing more than a delivery device for the only bit of mystery left in the series.

The chief difference between Derek and those other end-game beings was that Derek was largely the drive of the game (him and consequences of his actions regarding Ada) and had a far reaching scope into every aspect. And he didn't have to be interesting, but the game unfortuneately made a big deal out of him beyond his means. Tyrant, Birkin, and Nemesis worked because they were simple, driven creations that didn't need some cheeseblock plot to keep them standing. Derek suffers somewhat how Wesker suffered in the end: Being too much and going too left-field when it mattered most to not go there.

Yeah, even by Resident Evil standards Ada has been a consistently poor character across the games combined with Leon's seemingly unnatural connection to her. Mystery can only drive a character so far, but for 8-10+ years?

I think Resident Evil 6 was trying to be a little more broad in it's appeal, while we were all accustomed to what Leon had gone through and etc they wanted new players to the game to try to relate on Leon's level. I suppose we could have had Leon not acting too surprised over any of the matters but then again like you said, it was just the President that was killed in front of him. It could be the same kind of shock we see when someone loses a close friend/loved one and aren't acting rationally. (This is highly debatable and is just really my opinion on it.)

At the same time I don't believe the characters were too deep to begin with, what real character development did we see with many of the characters in previous games other than shock, disbelief, and heroism as they try to right the wrongs? In these later games, RE4, RE5 and RE6 it seems like Capcom's attempts to create intrigue where there wasn't too much of originally. While the Resident evil 6 version's of these guys were underwhelming at times, they were at the same time trying to make something more of these characters. In the original games these guys could nearly be replaced by any other rookie cop or beginning stars recruit. They weren't much outside of what we imagined them to be, I feel like with RE6 we're seeing even more of what capcom wanted for these guys and it's not like what we originally wanted.

In the vein of Resident Evil villains/antagonists I don't see Derek being that much of an anomaly, he had the buildup and the fight was going for that sudden surprise kind of feel with him showing you he injected himself. He set forth the motions of most of the game and influenced the outcome of most of it. Pulling strings in the background and being all around sinister. Seemed pretty typical Resident evil villain.

Manu

I think Resident Evil 6 was trying to be a little more broad in it's appeal, while we were all accustomed to what Leon had gone through and etc they wanted new players to the game to try to relate on Leon's level. I suppose we could have had Leon not acting too surprised over any of the matters but then again like you said, it was just the President that was killed in front of him. It could be the same kind of shock we see when someone loses a close friend/loved one and aren't acting rationally. (This is highly debatable and is just really my opinion on it.)

That's exactly what happened. The President had taken Leon under his wing since after RE2, he was actually the one who offered him the Government gig before being President, and they were close friends. Even knowing he's beyond saving, it makes sense for Leon to try to make one last attempt to reason with him.

RE6 is one of the best controlling and playing TPSs ever.. I really love to play this on PC now. On release on consoles my main complaints were the bad parts of the campaign, the tight FOV and performance problems. On PC now it runs amazing and I pulled the camera out, plus it has the ability to jump into any sub chapter so I can just skip the boring ones (Leon's forced walking early chapter).

Other TPSs really feel lacking in mobility after this, and especially in enemy variety. Even just one faction of RE6's enemies (they vary depending on which campaign) has more variety than 99% of other AAA TPS action games.

TheBear

So should I persist then?
Can I just avoid Jake's campaign? It's pretty fucking terrible so far.
I don't want to spend 30 hours with this game but I want to get some enjoyment out of it

Miker

So should I persist then?
Can I just avoid Jake's campaign? It's pretty fucking terrible so far.
I don't want to spend 30 hours with this game but I want to get some enjoyment out of it

Honestly? If you hate Jake's campaign, there's no real *need* to finish it, unless you want to play Ada's campaign, which I think can only be unlocked after you finish the first three campaigns. I think Mercenaries, which is regarded as far superior to the campaign by a lot of players (myself included), isn't tied to the campaign at all, so go ahead and drop the campaign and play Mercs if you want. FWIW, I hated the first few chapters of Jake's campaign, but I love playing as Jake in Mercs.

Neiteio

Do NOT get me started on this one! Just the sound of Resident Evil 6, from its spooky font to its monstrous manual, is enough to chill one to the bone. Zombies abound in this action-packed shoot-em-up from legendary game producer Shotawa Kuzikawa. Do not play this alone. Do not play this in the dark. And whatever you do, do not play it with a real gun! This one is so immersive that you may find yourself seeing a (zombie?) shadow, picking up the nearest loaded gun, and firing his head off, only to find that it's your neighbor! It's a mistake we all will make in life. Live and learn.
kenan.png

Game is great, but it's slow to reveal its greatness

I don't understand the GAF positivity for RE6. Maybe it's just a VERY vocal minority but man. Man. It's way more than anywhere else I've seen on the internet. Don't get it.

I really went into that game with an open mind, disregarded the initial poor reviews and...I could not play that game. The shooting felt absolutely awful to me, like peashooters with no impact which was weird because RE4 and RE5 have great feeling shooting. Not to mention the pacing was pretty bad, the game was way too long for the game that it was. After 6ish hours I just couldn't play the game anymore.

It's one of the few games I can't just brush off with "oh well, opinions." I can't understand it.

I don't understand the GAF positivity for RE6. Maybe it's just a VERY vocal minority but man. Man. It's way more than anywhere else I've seen on the internet. Don't get it.

I really went into that game with an open mind, disregarded the initial poor reviews and...I could not play that game. The shooting felt absolutely awful to me, like peashooters with no impact which was weird because RE4 and RE5 have great feeling shooting. Not to mention the pacing was pretty bad, the game was way too long for the game that it was. After 6ish hours I just couldn't play the game anymore.

It's one of the few games I can't just brush off with "oh well, opinions." I can't understand it.

S'not complicated. You have an excellent range of movement and get to beat up all manner of bioweapons with your bare hands.

Neff

If you can look past perceived expectations of survival horror, knowing that you aren't going to get them, are excluded from modern gaming's curious clique of players who will discredit a title that fails to deliver a sobering, pretentious, narrative-driven experience, and are the kind of person who just wants to play a really fucking good action game, then RE6 isn't bad at all. In fact, it's very, very good.

Also ignore the qte complaints because there are less than the previous games ans they can even be disabled now.

Thank you for backing this up. The volume of RE6's QTEs has always been greatly exaggerated. RE4 and 5 did indeed have more of them.

Riposte

A lot good, a little bad. It's one of the best TPS ever, but it has some variety moments that don't really work all that well.

If you are new player and want to hit the ground running, search for the original or PC version OT for some tips. Maybe play some The Mercenaries before you even start the campaign (though you'll be forced to playthrough an obnoxious intro either way).

like peashooters with no impact

I'm guessing you formed this impression based on Leon's handgun without skills? The enemy reactions are definitely still there, you just need to do enough damage (depending on the enemy/difficulty).

Mike Golf

I could not make it past the first ten to fifteen minutes. I think the controls for the combat are non intuitive, if they had an option to control the characters like how Revelations controls I would have been more obliged to play more. I attempted the Leon campaign first since Leon has always been my favorite character. They force feed the tension in the atmosphere to a point where it just isn't there. The first five minutes of story after the initial exposition you're not even allowed to aim your weapon, or do much really, until finally allowed to. Fighting the Zombies (?) is dull, and I think adding melee combat was a terrible idea outside the typical knife slash. Makes it far too easy to bowl through a group of enemies without worrying too much about actually being damaged.

These are just my initial thoughts, perhaps further into the game it comes into its own but frankly I couldn't bring myself to get there.

ArjanN

I feel most people never even learned the controls properly and just akwardly fumbled their way through the game.

That's not intended to be elitist or anything, it's true the game doesn't do a good job at all about teaching you the mechanics, but on the other hand I feel a lot of people don't want to put in any effort either.

Shosai

Banned
At the center of RE6 are a functional set of character actions in which a ramshackle of game is built around. I say "around" and not "upon" for a reason, as most of the moves serve little practical function besides maybe looking cool. As you can see in numerous mercenary run videos, playing effectively doesn't require more than activating QTE button prompts over and over again in order to maintain your invincibility frames. This will occasionally require pausing once in a while to shoot a face or a limb, should the button prompt not appear.

To get to the core of the games problem, consider the fact that RE6 had a change in directors. The game features a glut of content, four campaigns, and a bunch of ill-conceived game mechanics because they literally left nothing on the cutting floor. In past RE games, you would hear stories of how many times they would completely throw out months or years worth of work (RE4 was nearly completed something like three times). It's clear that RE6 didn't follow the same level of careful editing and directorial scrutiny.

Someone earlier mentioned how it felt like the campaigns and the core combat system felt like they were made by two different teams. Considering that Capcom had 650 people working on the game at one point, I guarantee that was the case. The introductions to basic controls are stuffed inside loading screen tooltips instead of the game itself, because they were finalized late in the development. That intro tutorial was made last.

That said, I really enjoyed playing it. But it's not a very good game.

Thank you for backing this up. The volume of RE6's QTEs has always been greatly exaggerated. RE4 and 5 did indeed have more of them.

HORSE HOCKEY. I am $20 serious go back and count the number of on-screen button prompts in the first 90 minutes of RE4, 5, and 6. We'll even be generous and ignore the zombie grabs.

Reebot

I don't understand the GAF positivity for RE6. Maybe it's just a VERY vocal minority but man.

Nail on the head.

The game's pretty disappointing and poorly received as a result, but it has its very loud defenders. I'd rate its quality as a general action game somewhere around average, some good ideas but terrible execution. Worst RE game though, no question.

I'm guessing you formed this impression based on Leon's handgun without skills? The enemy reactions are definitely still there, you just need to do enough damage (depending on the enemy/difficulty).

Even if that's true (not doubting you just didn't experience it for myself) then in 6 hours of playing the game I didn't get to use a single satisfying gun. That's a huge problem.

I feel most people never even learned the controls properly and just akwardly fumbled their way through the game.

That's not intended to be elitist or anything, it's true the game doesn't do a good job at all about teaching you the mechanics, but on the other hand I feel a lot of people don't want to put in any effort either.

I went into that thread before playing the game and studied up on how the movement stuff worked. The movement stuff was neat but it couldn't save the shooting, pacing, etc from being bad for me.

kodecraft

RE6 is my fave RE since RE4. Once you master the gameplay you can't go back to any other TPS' (except Vanquish) that do not have the same mechanics.

Sectus

I think part of the equation are people who care about modes beyond the campaign. If campaign is the only thing you ever touched, I can see this game being pretty underwhelming overall. But mercenaries is there, and it's a ton of fun.

Rozart

I honestly enjoyed it quite a lot. But I local co-opped my way through the entire game so that could be why the game was so fun.

Shosai

Banned
RE6 is my fave RE since RE4. Once you master the gameplay you can't go back to any other TPS' (except Vanquish) that do not have the same mechanics.

I played Max Payne 3 a few months after beating RE6, and it just seemed like a more balanced, more polished execution of what RE6 was going for.

Miker

I played Max Payne 3 a few months after beating RE6, and it just seemed like a more balanced, more polished execution of what RE6 was going for.

Funny, I played RE6 a month or so after Max Payne 3 and vastly preferred RE6. I don't think Max Payne 3 was in any way going for what RE6 was going for though. Max Payne 3 was an evolution of the Max Payne 1/2 shootdodge/slo-mo/John Woo formula, whereas RE6 was an evolution of the RE4/5 blend of shooting/melee/crowd control.

At the center of RE6 are a functional set of character actions in which a ramshackle of game is built around. I say "around" and not "upon" for a reason, as most of the moves serve little practical function besides maybe looking cool. As you can see in numerous mercenary run videos, playing effectively doesn't require more than activating QTE button prompts over and over again in order to maintain your invincibility frames. This will occasionally require pausing once in a while to shoot a face or a limb, should the button prompt not appear.

I've heard this criticism of Mercs being too sterile when played to maximize score, but it's just not true. First, play style is up to the the player - you can stand around and wait too counter everything, or you can slide around like a madman if you find that more fun. And as a round of Mercs goes on, enemies get more aggressive, more varieties spawn, and you won't be able to stand around waiting for counters. That's where the dodging and mobility of the game really shines. And besides, there's no way you'll get around to killing all 300 enemies just by meleeing them.

Funny, I played RE6 a month or so after Max Payne 3 and vastly preferred RE6. I don't think Max Payne 3 was in any way going for what RE6 was going for though. Max Payne 3 was an evolution of the Max Payne 1/2 shootdodge/slo-mo/John Woo formula, whereas RE6 was an evolution of the RE4/5 blend of shooting/melee/crowd control.

I don't think RE6 was an evolution of the RE4-5 style at all.

RE4-5 were focused on tactically and methodically managing a crowd using well placed shots and the occasional melee move, as well as constantly using the level design to your advantage, and managing your (somewhat) limited inventory.

RE6 is more about quick reflexes to counter enemy attacks and use overpowered melee attacks in conjunction with just blasting everything in sight. The result is a much faster paced, twitch based combat, but it sacrifices the slightly more cerebral approach, and renders the level design as simple arenas where you have to get from point A to point B, rather than actually having to navigate the levels as an integral part of your tactics to manage a crowd.

LeBart

This sums up why I don't like that game. Resident Evil was always over the top and cheesy but they went completely crazy with 6.
I mean there's the laser corridor in 4, there's the rock punching in 5, but the silliness knob in RE6 is turned up to 11 the whole fucking time.

I only played 5 hours of it, so I might give it another chance seeing how people really seem to like it in here.

Miker

I don't think RE6 was an evolution of the RE4-5 style at all.

RE4-5 were focused on tactically and methodically managing a crowd using well placed shots and the occasional melee move, as well as constantly using the level design to your advantage, and managing your (somewhat) limited inventory.

RE6 is more about quick reflexes to counter enemy attacks and use overpowered melee attacks in conjunction with just blasting everything in sight. The result is a much faster paced, twitch based combat, but it sacrifices the slightly more cerebral approach, and renders the level design as simple arenas where you have to get from point A to point B, rather than actually having to navigate the levels as an integral part of your tactics to manage a crowd.

You're not wrong - you're right, really - but I still think what you described is still an evolution of the combat in RE4/5. If you take a look at how a lot of people play RE4, it's headshot -> kick or kneeshot -> suplex. I haven't played Professional mode myself, but I'm guessing it's probably a necessary tactic in that mode. Then In RE5, they added more melee moves, and in RE6, they added even more melee moves. I also consider it an evolution because, to me, meleeing as a form of crowd control is what makes RE4+ combat unique, and RE6 took that idea and ran with it, for better or for worse. Also, the controls of RE6 make a huuuuuuuge difference - a lot of the methodical nature of RE4 was due to how slow it played. If RE6 controlled like RE4, there would probably be a lot of people praising it as a return to roots, and just as many people complaining about "lol tank controlz in 2013."

Top Bottom