• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

ironcreed

Banned
Wouldn’t be surprised at all if this doesn’t end up getting a 4.5 from Gamespot....

Could indeed be a glitch. But they have briefly flashed review scores plenty of times in the past just like this and they always ended up being the same after finally going up. Don't get me wrong, I am kind of hoping it was just a glitch this time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
what was the story behind kane & lynch bad review. why did gerstmann got fired? not just because of the bad score right? anyone know what exactly happened?

Lingitiz

what was the story behind kane & lynch bad review. why did gerstmann got fired? not just because of the bad score right? anyone know what exactly happened?

It was heavily advertised on the site at the time, and the higher ups (which were fairly new at the time and didn't really have a grasp on how the industry worked) caved to external pressure and fired him.

This video explains it much better.

cgcg

4.5 to 5 out of 10 sounds about right based on the demo. From the retarded tripping over corpse animation to zombies that only come to life after obtaining the key in Leon's demo or that you can't damage zombies in their getting up animation. WTF? What a shitty designed game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So basically this game is the FFXIII of the RE series? It'll be very polarizing (yes, there are people who enjoyed FFXIII like me).

raven777

wasn't there a tweet while ago where some reviewer said he felt like breaking embargo to tell people how bad something is? Was this this guy who is reviewing RE6?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think there's a big misunderstanding here!

When you die in Resident Evil 6, you have as much ammo as you had at the checkpoint, not how much ammo you had when you died. Where were people getting this idea? There's a reason the guy streaming would die with no ammo, and then when he continued he started at the checkpoint with the ammo he had before he entered the area he died at.

Yeah, that's really confusing reading some of the above comments. No reason to keep killing yourself if that happened, so that tweet must not be about RE6.

ironcreed

Banned
well, this means that 4.5 could be legit? Someone asked him on tweeter and he didn't exactly deny it.

Very much so. I am actually expecting it based on seeing Gamespot leak and remove reviews plenty of times before. But I am still leaving the door open that it could have been a mistake. Who knows?

This is pretty much all that needs to be said regarding reviews, period.

So you don't trust people on gaf or friend recommendations either? Because reviewers are just people, totally normal people, who out a number next to their opinion and get a medium to express what they think of a game. Reviews are subjective, like everything else.

rekameohs

Banned
Dusk Golem's semi-review makes it seem like RE6 is the most uneven game ever made.

To me (and by watching some of the stream), it seems that this game tries extremely hard to do a lot of things. It takes tons of elements from other games, movies, etc and throws them in here, hoping to make something Bigger and Better. There's action adventure game elements, there's survival horror elements, there's cover based shooter elements, there's stealth elements, the list goes on.

It seems like it's up to the player whether they extreme amount of gameplay variations sticks or falls flat, and from what I've seen, they fall a little short more often than not in my opinion. That might be the cause of the negative reviews.

Definitely will be a polarizing game though. I could see some loving it a ton.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Dusk Golem's semi-review makes it seem like RE6 is the most uneven game ever made.

It kind of is, I just wrote an in-depth opinion in the spoiler topic going chapter by chapter, but in my personal opinion I felt the game has very uneven levels of quality throughout, and I think different parts of it will attract different people. I'll just say when they said they were trying to make a game that had elements to 'please everybody', they were not kidding. The flip side to this is chapters designed with other people in mind might not tickle your own personal fancy.

There's moments where this game is slow-paced with jump scares, moments where it's straight-up dudebro action, moments where it's a stealth game... I want to say more but, spoilers.

This variety has it's appeals and disappeals. As a gamer who plays a lot of genres it was really interesting, but my break-down varies from chapter to chapter.If anyone wants to see that, here it is, but be warned there are some pretty big spoilers I mention: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42587667&postcount=485

Personally speaking, I like the game a lot.

ALSO, something I should add!

This game has a MUCH better single player experience than RE5. BUT, I also think this will be a REALLY fun game in co-op. From what I played locally recently (my copy arrived~) and have seen, this game is actually a really good co-op game. Somehow, the variety and continuous twists of expectations makes it pretty fun with friends. Weird, I know.

Teknoman

Well I know its always different reviewers taking on different games, but if you want to take the site's review record for the series into account, RE2 got a 7, 0 an 8, and Code Veronica a 9.5. Would have thought that it would have been the other way around, but I guess it just depends on the person doing the reviewing.

So you don't trust people on gaf or friend recommendations either?

Uh...my friends (save for maybe 3) only play Gears, CoD, NBA2K and GTA, and then complain about there being no good games out, so HELL no. And GAF hates almost everything in my opinion, so the answer to that would be "eh, not really." In GAF's defense, the games they hype up are usually pretty good.

Well I know its always different reviewers taking on different games, but if you want to take the site's review record for the series into account, RE2 got a 7, 0 an 8, and Code Veronica a 9.5. Would have thought that it would have been the other way around, but I guess it just depends on the person doing the reviewing.

Those scores are spot-on.

gconsole

October 1st, embargo goes down that day (not sure time, though).

A day before release? Wow Capcom is really not confident about this. I remember when we know RE4 got 10/10 a month before game release. Now they spoil so much of the game except review --"

Im sure i will enjoy this game. But i hope the director get fire if this game turn into shit. Too much for 3 years waiting for my most belove series.

A day before release? Wow Capcom is really not confident about this. I remember when we know RE4 got 10/10 a month before game release. Now they spoil so much of the game except review --"

Im sure i will enjoy this game. But i hope the director get fire if this game turn into shit. Too much for 3 years waiting for my most belove series.

All games do this now. Some have embargos lasting till the release day.

It kind of is, I just wrote an in-depth opinion in the spoiler topic going chapter by chapter, but in my personal opinion I felt the game has very uneven levels of quality throughout, and I think different parts of it will attract different people. I'll just say when they said they were trying to make a game that had elements to 'please everybody', they were not kidding. The flip side to this is chapters designed with other people in mind might not tickle your own personal fancy.

There's moments where this game is slow-paced with jump scares, moments where it's straight-up dudebro action, moments where it's a stealth game... I want to say more but, spoilers.

This variety has it's appeals and disappeals. As a gamer who plays a lot of genres it was really interesting, but my break-down varies from chapter to chapter.If anyone wants to see that, here it is, but be warned there are some pretty big spoilers I mention: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42587667&postcount=485

Personally speaking, I like the game a lot.

ALSO, something I should add!

This game has a MUCH better single player experience than RE5. BUT, I also think this will be a REALLY fun game in co-op. From what I played locally recently (my copy arrived~) and have seen, this game is actually a really good co-op game. Somehow, the variety and continuous twists of expectations makes it pretty fun with friends. Weird, I know.

I LOVE variety in my games. I think MGS4 is a masterpiece because of how it amazingly switched up the game basically taking you back to its roots and trying out all new things constantly. So it seems this game will be perfect for me.

Spazznid

Played the demo.

Leon with Laser and no hud.

Chris with indescriminate blazing guns of glory.

Jake with Non-stop Melee action.

Loving it. I like the control and feel of 5 more, but I barely learned any of the dodge/roll/etc mechanics and I feel like they'll make hard mode even more crazy.

Will get the PS3 version maybe but will also get the PC version.

(PC version of 5 never got a lot of the DLC for it, so I'll keep the PS3 version handy just in case.)

I understand why people would dislike it and assume it's bad. But I love it. Others love it. so it did SOMETHING right. It's not for you, it's for us. :D

Anyone who wants a non-spoiler stream, this guy is just starting the game (he's just starting the Prelude right now) and will answer questions and opinions he says:

http://www.twitch.tv/jed05

"That's not gameplay, that's an interactive cutscene.... That's... not ok..."

Seems like this dude is a bit new to the series or he just dislikes QTE's.
RE kind of standardised QTE's in RE4. I'd love a few QTE's in MGS4... other than R1 to look at bewbs.

He either already made up his mind or bought this game knowing NOTHING about it...
I'll assume he just likes to rant about stuff he dislikes.

AlexBasch

Anyone who wants a non-spoiler stream, this guy is just starting the game (he's just starting the Prelude right now) and will answer questions and opinions he says:

http://www.twitch.tv/jed05

some twitch admin said:
As Resident Evil 6 isn't out yet, you can't stream it. Please wait for the release date or i'll have to close your channel
Hahaha.

Well, the stream is over, Tnose is clearly a RE6 hater or a No-fun-allowed bot.

Dusk Golem

Hahaha.
Well, the stream is over, Tnose is clearly a RE6 hater or a No-fun-allowed bot.

Very short lived. Capcom most likely are going after streams after what happened earlier, but I think it's kind of silly for them to. The game is legitimately out in several places. I placed my order online about a month ago and just got my copy this evening (I've played some but I'm mainly waiting for friends to get it so I can play with them), I know it's being sold now and in some other countries is already publicly available. But guess Capcom want to crack down on it.

AlexBasch

Very short lived. Capcom most likely are going after streams after what happened earlier, but I think it's kind of silly for them to. The game is legitimately out in several places. I placed my order online about a month ago and just got my copy this evening, I know it's being sold now and in some other countries is already publicly available. But guess Capcom want to crack down on it.
Really? Should ask for my copy tomorrow. It's an Anthology edition, so I'm not sure if the codes for 4/5GE/CV are in a card inside the case or if they're given by the retailer. If it's the latter, then it's waiting until tuesday.

gconsole

Just dowload latest Play magazine on ipad only to read RE6 review. One thing which seems to be in sync with other review is 'You cant be all thing to all people'. Look like RE6 try too much to capture as much as audience.

I've played the entire first chapter of Leons campaign. What I can say is... I absolutely love it. A few things come off a bit much like the quick time events, not that I don't love them, I do. Many others HATE quick time type events so can see them just totally hating on that. The first chapter took me 2 hours total after deaths and re spawns at checkpoints. Also some stutter animations at times when enemies leaps at me caused some disorienting moments. Overall the atmosphere and the style is leaps and bounds over 5... so far. I have much more to play but what I can say is that, if the game continues to only get better. I'm totally satisfied. Will check more out tomorrow.

Dusk Golem

A video of actually competent players! The first stage of Mercenaries being done by two people online as Chris and Leon, get a 150 combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYpxFj6SQk

I also learned two things from this video about mercs in RE6:
-You can slide into time crystals to gain time, didn't know that and much faster than kicking them.
-Doing a 'strikeback' (reflecting an enemies attack back at them at the millisecond before they hurt you) gives you a 10 second bonus instead of 5.

Dusk Golem

Some good mercenaries gameplay.The lack of enemies still bothers me.Or the map is way too big i don't know.

Edit: late by 2 mins lol.

We are in-sync here. Completely in-sync. Also by playing a round it's kind of both. The maps are actually really big, but also the enemies are spread out. However, it does matter a bit less further in as the monsters do get stronger and stronger and some of the later ones can be a hassle.

A video of actually competent players! The first stage of Mercenaries being done by two people online as Chris and Leon, get a 150 combo.

-You can slide into time crystals to gain time, didn't know that and much faster than kicking them.
-Doing a 'strikeback' (reflecting an enemies attack back at them at the millisecond before they hurt you) gives you a 10 second bonus instead of 5.

Looks fucking awesome. Slide -> quick shot is pretty hilarious. An option to pull the camera back would still be nice though.

Beth Cyra

This more then anything has me so hyped for this. I don't even like Mercs, but the idea of Chirs and Leon working together even if it's only in Mercs is something I've wanted since RE2.

The lack of enemies is worrying. The fact that shooting for the head has no consequences is also worrying.
The level is graphically bland and ugly too.

**cries**

JoeFenix

That mercs video is worrying, it's the only mode I felt I could count on 100%.

It just never escalated, mostly zombies that are barely a threat.... Looked incredibly easy and boring honestly.

Other than the counter there didn't seem to be any reason to use the slide or any of the other new mechanics against these enemies. Looks bad.

Top Bottom