• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A video of actually competent players! The first stage of Mercenaries being done by two people online as Chris and Leon, get a 150 combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYpxFj6SQk

I also learned two things from this video about mercs in RE6:
-You can slide into time crystals to gain time, didn't know that and much faster than kicking them.
-Doing a 'strikeback' (reflecting an enemies attack back at them at the millisecond before they hurt you) gives you a 10 second bonus instead of 5.

Mercs is going to be amazing.

That mercs video is worrying, it's the only mode I felt I could count on 100%.

It just never escalated, mostly zombies that are barely a threat.... Looked incredibly easy and boring honestly.

Other than the counter there didn't seem to be any reason to use the slide or any of the other new mechanics against these enemies. Looks bad.

It'll surely be like it always was with different enemy types in each map. This video got me pretty excited for the potential.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am hoping they pull some of the monsters from the campaign more though. There's actually a really good variety of monsters in the campaign, I think there may be more types of monsters in this game than any other RE game.

Lakitu

st5fu
I am hoping they pull some of the monsters from the campaign more though. There's actually a really good variety of monsters in the campaign, I think there may be more types of monsters in this game than any other RE game.

Is there anything like Mr. X or Nemesis in the campaign/s?

JoeFenix

Only 1 music track in mercs, no voice acting for chopper support. Losing faith here...

Game has such a fun set of mechanics but it just seems content not to do anything cool with it.

I was really hoping that they would do some cool stuff with the enemies requiring you to slide and dodge but it really seems like they don't get it. I'll give the full thing a shot but in coop mercs looks really boring, zero intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJseEL2b3t8

RE5 mercs looks WAYYYY more exciting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm sure they will, even if it ends up in something like the map in RE5 that becomes a licker clusterfuck.

GS gave ORC a 4.5. If they give RE6 a 4.5 it better be a broken game, which from everything I have heard it is not. This is where GS scoring just blows my mind, i know they try to say you cant compare scores across games, but then what is the point of scores. If they give RE6 the same score as ORC they better absolutely believe RE6 is as bad as ORC.

This is what annoys me the most about reviews. IGN gave Tekken Hybrid a higher score than Tag Tournament 2. Hybrid is nothing but a demo for Tag 2, a 12 year old PS2 game virtually untouched and a shitty CG movie packed in.

I know they were reviewed by different people, but how about some fucking consistency?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is there anything like Mr. X or Nemesis in the campaign/s?

Well, Ustanak in Jake's campaign is the obvious answer, but there is two potential other answers.

There's a Chainsaw enemy that keeps on coming back to life in one chapter, and in each campaign there's a section where our character must collect three things and they're attacked by these monsters that cannot die, when shot at their limbs detach but grow a mind of their own and regenerate and multiply.

Nemesis_

Well, Ustanak in Jake's campaign is the obvious answer, but there is two potential other answers.

There's a Chainsaw enemy that keeps on coming back to life in one chapter, and in each campaign there's a section where our character must collect three things and they're attacked by these monsters that cannot die, when shot at their limbs detach but grow a mind of their own and regenerate and multiply.

DIS TEMPTATION.

I challenged myself to post this reply to this quote without looking and I SUCCEEDED

Only 1 music track in mercs, no voice acting for chopper support. Losing faith here...

Game has such a fun set of mechanics but it just seems content not to do anything cool with it.

I was really hoping that they would do some cool stuff with the enemies requiring you to slide and dodge but it really seems like they don't get it. I'll give the full thing a shot but in coop mercs looks really boring, zero intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJseEL2b3t8

RE5 mercs looks WAYYYY more exciting.

Wow, I think they did it....I think they f'd up Mercs. Watching that RE5 video then comparing it to RE6 makes RE6's mercs look so dull and boring. And only one music track? Yeah, Capcom f'd up.

I cancelled my preorder and wait for the "real" reviews. 4.5 from Gamespot (yeah it's not confirmed)...maybe there's something broken with the game. I'm not convinced.

Mantorok

Let's be clear about this, RE4 was great, refreshing and pretty much perfect in every way.

RE 5 was a graphical showcase but it wasn't RE and shouldn't even bear the name, having enemies firing guns at me was the final straw.

RE 6 is a great looking action game, but like RE 5 it's boring already, it's predictable and again, should not bear the name of RE, and oh look, in one of the campaigns I have enemies firing guns at me, again.

In my opinion they have relied too much on the action, it's become too tedious and boring, it really is rinse and repeat over and over, they should either ditch the RE name and just "feature" the RE characters, or they should MTFU and get back to making it a survival-horror genre again.

Do...not.....like, but then I always was a bigger fan of the old games.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
A 4.5? OK seriously as "polarizing" as this game is going to be, a 4.5 means the game is broken beyond repair and that no one could possibly have any fun with it.

This game is really polished, has great graphics, and is giving us a 30 hour campaign. To give it a 4.5 means its mechanics have to be extremely broken to the point that the reviewer was unable to play the game. For fuck's sake, Skyrim PS3 got a 9.0 on Gamespot. To give RE6 half that score means there is something fundamentally wrong with the game, which I'm not buying.

Mantorok

For fuck's sake, Skyrim PS3 got a 9.0 on Gamespot. To give RE6 half that score means there is something fundamentally wrong with the game, which I'm not buying.

It doesn't have to be broken to be crap, it could just be the same old shit over and over again like RE5, which was a fucking bore-fest, not once did I feel refreshed by it.

Mr_Zombie

RE 5 was a graphical showcase but it wasn't RE and shouldn't even bear the name, having enemies firing guns at me was the final straw.

RE 6 is a great looking action game, but like RE 5 it's boring already, it's predictable and again, should not bear the name of RE, and oh look, in one of the campaigns I have enemies firing guns at me, again.

Funfact: there were regular enemies with guns in earlier RE games too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjrnzG3H_-Q

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A 4.5? OK seriously as "polarizing" as this game is going to be, a 4.5 means the game is broken beyond repair and that no one could possibly have any fun with it.

This game is really polished, has great graphics, and is giving us a 30 hour campaign. To give it a 4.5 means its mechanics have to be extremely broken to the point that the reviewer was unable to play the game. For fuck's sake, Skyrim PS3 got a 9.0 on Gamespot. To give RE6 half that score means there is something fundamentally wrong with the game, which I'm not buying.

Save your indignation for when the score actually comes out. VanOrd said on twitter that the review wasn't written yet and the score wasn't assigned, so that 4.5 was a mistake. Maybe he's just covering his ass, I don't know. But be prepared for a wide range reactions since the game was designed to be a Frankenstein's monster that has parts for every kind of gamer. If the parts are as disjointed as it sounds like they are from recent impressions, then lots of people are going to find that unevenness to make for an overall shitty experience.

People keep using the word polarizing, but so far what we're really seeing is an actual normal-ish distribution of scores. This game isn't going to get all 9s and 3s, it's going to cover a range. What's actually surprising is that opinions are so much more uniform on most big games.

Also, wouldn't the ultimate bio weapon be a human that can turn itself into a weapon? You know the whole point of the viruses so to speak? And did people forget in RE4 Krauser had the ability to transformer his arm into a blade... at will!

The thing about Krauser is that he fucking owned and had a memorable encounter to boot. Dude-in-tracksuit-with-AK does not own and is not memorable in the least.

Mantorok

Also, wouldn't the ultimate bio weapon be a human that can turn itself into a weapon? You know the whole point of the viruses so to speak? And did people forget in RE4 Krauser had the ability to transformer his arm into a blade... at will!

I'm getting more at the automatic-weapons, I know it's an action game and all but I don't think RE is sustainable in this form, RE was driven on horror, story, scares and puzzles, not action.

I did enjoy RE4 but I would've preferred the next game to be darker and slower, not fast paced and lighter!

Nemesis_

I would've thought they would've preferred animals as animals would be easier to curate (and also no humans have to volunteer to be infected).

Hence why they branched off into Hunters, Gorillas etc.

omonimo

Banned

Well it's exact my though after to have played the demo. If the final code of the game is the same, controls & ai are a fuck°ng disaster. Not that surprise about the score if the game is like per like to the demo gameplay. It's a putrid mess.

Lol wat? is that different to the demo? I don't call it exactly really polished, controls & ai are a fuck°ng disaster. Not that surprise about the score if the game is like per like to the demo gameplay. It's a putrid mess.

I’m honestly baffled every time someone says the game is polished and has good graphics after playing the demos.

Famitsu has a really pro japanese games mentality. Since this Capcoms work...they would lean towards more positive reviews for "their" games.

Stop posting Famitsu reviews.

I'm getting more at the automatic-weapons, I know it's an action game and all but I don't think RE is sustainable in this form, RE was driven on horror, story, scares and puzzles, not action.

I did enjoy RE4 but I would've preferred the next game to be darker and slower, not fast paced and lighter!

Well I've just always felt the games were leading up to a global crisis ever since RE4 and 5 at least. It only makes sense to increase things to this level in a natural progression of sorts in my opinion. How many times storywise can you do "in a remote location, with a remote outbreak" scenario? It's already been done to death. This game truly feels like the world is about to be fucked from what I've played.

Let's be clear about this, RE4 was great, refreshing and pretty much perfect in every way.

Also having completed Leons first chapter, I found it anything but boring, and yes I'm a RE fan since the first originally released so I've seen it all.

In my opinion they have relied too much on the action, it's become too tedious and boring, it really is rinse and repeat over and over, they should either ditch the RE name and just "feature" the RE characters, or they should MTFU and get back to making it a survival-horror genre again.

Do...not.....like, but then I always was a bigger fan of the old games.

the only thing RE about 4 was Leon, Ada and a little bit of Wesker.

That has happened plenty of times over on Gamespot and every time that is what the review ended up being. I was expecting some low reviews, but not quite that low. Oh well, still going to play and enjoy it.
Yeah the mistanekly put up review is always the right score at Gamespot.

omonimo

Banned
Jump to the 3 minute mark of this video and tell me with a straight face that the graphics are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxasrkamZ74&feature=related

Well, I have played the demo, I repeat to me the graphic seems not that different to RE5, with deferred light added. I don't understand when people claims RE5 was better: it's the exact same tech, with terrible texture & no physic in the objects. RE6 adding more details, light, I'm confused about the general perception, to me the graphic it's the only thing good about the game, fps a part.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Or maybe Capcom didn't pay for the review like Bethesda did? If it's 30 hours of boring crap then a 4.5 sounds about right (assuming we are talking about a rational use of a 1.0-10.0 scale).

Top Bottom