• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

Darkone

Think I'll play hud-less now to keep it fresh.

Yep. Stealth part isn't so bad once you figure you can sneak kill the enemies though. The beginning of Jake 2 and the beginning of Leon 1 are the worst parts of the game.

Well yeah. What about it? You will die quickly if you are not careful.

Whats the difference from one Difficulty lower?

Riposte

Whats the difference from one Difficulty lower?

It is fairly noticeable I'd say. I think Professional is easier than RE5's Professional, especially if you play RE6 solo (and that's before the broken partner skills). It is probably because how much maneuverability you have now. There are also fewer instant deaths I think, which are even scarier with RE5's system.

What sets No Hope Left apart is the complete lack of skills. Kind of annoying at first, but it certainly makes you earn everything. Damage in particular can get quite high with skills. I think it actually plays out best in the end, but some gun wielding enemies can be quite a problem in some spots (this game is best played without cover).

EDIT: Oh, another thing that may be an issue with No Hope could be the zombies being real annoying to deal with in Leon campaign before you get the faster, stronger guns (so like chapter 1-2). He has the weakest pistol in the game and you feel it most here. I realized I got pretty used it while playing a fresh No Hope game.

Decided to switch down from Professional to Normal. The difficulty of the enemies and everything was good on Professional, but the complete absence of ammo just annoyed the hell out of me, to the point I ended up having Chris with only a knife and his fists taking on the spike shooter enemies. I know the games not really a shooter, but it can get to the point of absurdity at times.

nbthedude

Decided to switch down from Professional to Normal. The difficulty of the enemies and everything was good on Professional, but the complete absence of ammo just annoyed the hell out of me, to the point I ended up having Chris with only a knife and his fists taking on the spike shooter enemies. I know the games not really a shooter, but it can get to the point of absurdity at times.

You can turn on infinite ammo, can't you?

You can turn on infinite ammo, can't you?

You can, but I'd prefer not to cheat. I don't mind ammo scarcity when its done right (I think the first Dead Space got it perfect), and I'm getting by better on Normal, but the toughness of the enemies on professional mixed with the reduced ammo drops (and thats with the increased item drop skill) mean you just end up with Chris running into machine gun fire to smash an enemy in the face with his fists, or hiding behind a wall while the AI take them out.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In center of subway between rails next to pillars.

"Look out train!"

"Ugh....."

"LEOONNNNN!"

That's fucking lazy gameplay design. I wasn't even near the tracks.

Has anyone played this on a laptop with a GT 650m?

If so, how does it run?

I don't have a GT 650m, but I've a laptop with a graphics card more than 2.5x weaker than a 650m (ATI Mobility Radeon 4670), and the game runs pretty smoothly(35-45 FPS) at 1440x810 resolution, High settings (Textures,Shadows and Screen Quality = High except for AA = Off, Motion Blur = Off)

I've yet to suffer any of the pitfalls some other AMD cards have with this game, it's been pretty smooth so far. (No crashes, framerate drops (except for the prelude))

legacyzero

Banned
Playing through the Ada section. DAMN it's so nice playing Resident Evil without a Co-op partner jammed up your ass all the time. Most fun I've had with the game so far I think.

iuP9C0NzphmwI.png

iNs58dKpnN9PP.png

In center of subway between rails next to pillars.

"Look out train!"

"Ugh....."

"LEOONNNNN!"

That's fucking lazy gameplay design. I wasn't even near the tracks.

I actually died at that part many, many times (HELENAAAAAA!!!) even though I wasn't anywhere near the damned train tracks until I decided say fuck it, and I pulled the horde all the way back the way I came up the elevated platform at the start of that sequence.

Worked out just fine I took out the undead one at a time, and train didn't hit either of them (Leon or Helena).

Playing through the Ada section. DAMN it's so nice playing Resident Evil without a Co-op partner jammed up your ass all the time. Most fun I've had with the game so far I think.

2 more months... Just 2 more months until we get the authentic classic solo non coop RE experience on the PC, for an entire game. (Revelaitons)

Iorv3th

The player population is noticeably lower than what I can recall for the 360 launch or at least the first week of it. It could just be that me trying to do No Hope and The Mercs, whereas a lot of people are probably aiming for lower difficulties for the campaign.

Anyone sticking to playing with strangers? How has joining games been like. I haven't had that much of a problem, but I haven't had many choices. (Of course everyone wants to play Leon's campaign first, even though that's the one campaign I don't want to play.)

I got mine set to play with friends. Just for the fact I don't want someone else joining and running through doing everything for me (guiding me). I want to figure things out on my first play through.

After I finish the campaign on normal i'll add my steam name ot the list and will group up with anyone from here that wants to play.

Katyusha

I don't have a GT 650m, but I've a laptop with a graphics card more than 2.5x weaker than a 650m (ATI Mobility Radeon 4670), and the game runs pretty smoothly(35-45 FPS) at 1440x810 resolution, High settings (Textures,Shadows and Screen Quality = High except for AA = Off, Motion Blur = Off)

Okay, that sounds pretty promising.

My friend has a laptop with a 650m and an i7 with a screen res of 1360x768, so he should be fine with this game then. That might convince him to double dip so I can have a co-op partner.

Oreoleo

Is there really no way for someone to join a co-op game in progress? When Steam community goes down it kicks your partner and as far as I can tell you have to quit the game and go back to the lobby to re-invite someone.

Riposte

2 more months... Just 2 more months until we get the authentic classic solo non coop RE experience on the PC, for an entire game. (Revelaitons)

I'm going to say in Revelations you are with an AI companion like at least half the time. They are less strict about it though.

Is there really no way for someone to join a co-op game in progress? When Steam community goes down it kicks your partner and as far as I can tell you have to quit the game and go back to the lobby to re-invite someone.

That shouldn't be right. I'm not sure about inviting people, but whoever wants to join should be able to join no problem. (You can set it to just friends IIRC.)

cvxfreak

Thinking on playing with No Hope difficulty, anyone tried it?

Yes, I've beaten it with every character.

Basically, no skills and extreme amounts of damage await you, as well as non-regenerating health after you die. It's particularly problematic in areas where you are inevitably going to get hit as it seems to be built into the set piece. If you don't learn to dodge and perfect your aiming, you probably can't clear it.

That said, it's not impossible to clear, especially if you've acquired all weapons. If you're not a purist, there are certain segments in each chapter where you can farm for ammo and health, so you can just heal yourself as necessary.

Oreoleo

That shouldn't be right. I'm not sure about inviting people, but whoever wants to join should be able to join no problem. (You can set it to just friends IIRC.)

You know what now that I think about it, I bet he was only trying to rejoin my game through the Steam friends list the way you would for a game of TF2 or L4D. There's the option to join a game through the RE6 menu isn't there :p How silly of us.

That said, it's not impossible to clear, especially if you've acquired all weapons. If you're not a purist, there are certain segments in each chapter where you can farm for ammo and health, so you can just heal yourself as necessary.

Is this possible? I always thought herbs were one time pickups in those segments. The mobs have a random chance to drop ammo and certain segments seem to have endless spawning mobs.

teh_pwn

I'm enjoying the game, but I feel it's forcing me to be casual. I want to decapitate every corpse I see, but they don't let you. Then some obvious trigger causes them to become active. I just don't care anymore. I'll leap over every zombie and if they grab me I'll dragon kick their ass.

nbthedude

I'm enjoying the game, but I feel it's forcing me to be casual. I want to decapitate every corpse I see, but they don't let you. Then some obvious trigger causes them to become active. I just don't care anymore. I'll leap over every zombie and if they grab me I'll dragon kick their ass.

I think that part of Leon's campaign is trying to evoke the horror movie tension of playing with your expectations. And I think they pull it off pretty well since not every zombie does come back to life, and most do not do it right when you step over them. They also often use it for misdirection while somethign else happens in front of or behind you. I kind of dig it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does this game force you to play with a braindead AI that constantly gets in the way if you play solo?

nbthedude

Does this game force you to play with a braindead AI that constantly gets in the way if you play solo?

Nope. Only for the first chapter. After that, there is an item you can buy (Lone Wolf) for a tiny amount if money that takes away the coop AI guy.

teh_pwn

Out of video memory!

Is this a general memory leak or is it driver specific?

6950 CF
Windows 8

Update: I had to replay the cathedral start. Once I got to the next area I ran out of memory. This time, I made it but the frame rate is like 5 fps. Something is wrong here.

teh_pwn

Possibly related, after exiting the game AMD CCC notified me that there was a problem and it lowered display settings. My monitor was set from 120 Hz to 60 Hz. Upon restarting Win8, I get the same notification but my second monitor didn't detect. I'll post whatever workaround I get. Could be AMD's fault, I've seen this problem in Windows 8 before.

Updates:
1. 120 Hz: Had to disconnect my second monitor AND restart to get this to stabilize. Kept getting popups about display port failures, lowered settings, blah.
2. Disabling crossfire dramatically improved performance in this second part of the Cathedral. It seems to be running mostly near 120 fps, but with frame latency issues causing it to be bursty. I don't remember it being this bad prior to this level with crossfire, so either it's because I've lost performance from CF or this level is just grossly inefficient in some area.

RyL

Banned
Can someone tell me what the default brightness setting was/is? There is no reset to default button in the menu...

// Thanks Sectus!

legacyzero

Banned
Ran the benchmark and got a lot of dips in low 20s managed an S rank though with over 7000.

Somehow I think the benchmark isn't right... I ran the Bench before game release and was getting a lot of dips too. The full game hasn't had any trouble yet.

I'm running a 670

flippeh

Out of video memory errors galore! When it does function, terrible performance no matter how much I mess with settings/resolution w/ a 7950 with CCC 13.3b3.

Benchmark on the other hand ran flawlessly.

Tendo

Me and my buddy started Leon's campaign last night. Really enjoying it - way more so than RE5. The voicechat thing sucks but we found a workaround.

How long are each of the campaigns?

Momentary

Banned
I don't know if it's me, but this game looks like it's a downgrade graphically from RE5. Textures look bad, character models look less detailed, environmental objects look less detailed.

As for the Biohazard thing... the game was never planned to be called Resident Evil. Since there was, and still is, a band in the US with that name, it couldn't be used... I don't know if that was mentioned already, but that's for the people who don't know.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it's me, but this game looks like it's a downgrade graphically from RE5. Textures look bad, character models look less detailed, environmental objects look less detailed.

The lighting and post-processing effects look quite a bit better, but texture detail is universally worse. The textures in this game are just sad.

legacyzero

Banned

It's not just you. RE5 looked amazing. Not sure why they downgraded this one..

Jawmuncher

Hmmm games running a little odd for me.
I'm getting fading of outlines staying on screen, and the AA doesn't seem to be working. Also the opening cutscene the road was all green pixels....

I'm running a GTX 660 with 16gb ram i7 and windows 7.

GHG

Gold Member
Hmmm games running a little odd for me.
I'm getting fading of outlines staying on screen, and the AA doesn't seem to be working. Also the opening cutscene the road was all green pixels....

I'm running a GTX 660 with 16gb ram i7 and windows 7.

What drivers are you running?

Soodanim

Gold Member
No Mercy looks like a lot of fun. Is there a melee move in Mercenaries similar in power and awesomeness to some of the ones in RE4 like Krauser's arm and kick or Wesker's Thrust Punch? They'd be a lot of fun there.

AEREC

Great port so far...constant 60 fps on my gtx 460.

My only issue is that it literally takes 2 minutes to get to the start screen after I start the game...anyone else have this issue?

nbthedude

Out of video memory errors galore! When it does function, terrible performance no matter how much I mess with settings/resolution w/ a 7950 with CCC 13.3b3.

Benchmark on the other hand ran flawlessly.

Something is wrong with your set up.

There may be another program you are running that causes instability (FRAPS does for example).

I have a 7970 and have played over 5 hours locked at 60fps at max settings and my processor is a 4 year old i920.

Top Bottom