• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 Ships Over 4.5 Million

ED Cantu

I'm surprised, I never thought that reviews could influence people so much but it seems I was wrong, or maybe it's just that I'm in a minority where I play the game before deciding if it's good or bad.

I agree that RE6 is not a good Resident Evil game but it's much better than RE5.

i think all the reviews are overrated ..

capcom is the "not cool" thing these days ..everyone is happy tearing this game appart and while everything isn't perfect it certainly doesn't deserve all of this.

The game isn't perfect but it's far from being the garbage some of them are spouting out loud because it's "cool to bash capcom".

BTW this has nothing to do on my RE past experience but i do played them

YES chris section could have been better ( it's for me a clear low point ) but does this game deserve a 3/10 ? hell no.

apana

We live in the age of blockbusters, nothing surprising. Besides half of those "shipped" copies have been shipped to the bottom of the ocean.

With all the negativity backlash against this game and the fact that the retailers seemingly believed that they needed all shipment they can get are probably wetting their pants right now. I'm afraid they may have to cut prices or make special deals in order to sell out the stock lest they fill their inventory as a RE6 exhibition.

Oh that is wrong for sure, I agree completely. You can't make a claim on game quality like that but you are allowed to make informed decisions on your purchases and shouldn't just blindly buy games due to hype, brand name or marketing. That was the point of the question I posed.

Cool then we agree.

Miburou

Man, all this talk makes me want to check out the game for myself, but I want to wait for the PC version!

Oh, and cvxfreak is a swell guy.

Resident Evil is a series that transcends critique. It's a huge brand. Look at Operation Raccoon City, for example. But Capcom has a huge problem on their hands. Two or three poorly reviewed RE titles is going to damage the franchise irreparably.

Whompa

Nobody read the reviews?

I got more excited after seeing some of the reviews. A 3/10 reeks of fanboyism. Also Giantbomb's review was done by Brad, so I don't really give it much merit.

I bought the game because it looks good and within the first half hour I started to really enjoy it.

Even though I read some of the people's replies and looking at reviews, I still won't buy the game now. Probably later if I'm still interested and when it gets cheaper.

Resident Evil was always a niche series and was slammed for being different due to controls and camera angles.

Resident Evil is now a mainstream series and is being slammed for being the same as other shooters due to controls and camera angles.

What the hell do you people want?

Great .

The game is amazing , give me the DLC Mercenaries Maps Capcom ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

meiavolta.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil was always a niche series and was slammed for being different due to controls and camera angles.

Resident Evil is now a mainstream series and is being slammed for being the same as other shooters due to controls and camera angles.

They are different people and you can't please everyone

Zampano

For what it's worth (not much), anecdotally even my more mainstream gamer friends have gotten wind of bad reviews and it's put them off. These are people that bought RE5. Cannot see this selling 4.5m.

Shipping's the easy part.

Though I guess it'll sell a couple million on name value alone. As long as it sells less than the previous entry. Or not enough to make a profit. 600 people teams must add up quickly.

Replicant

For what it's worth (not much), anecdotally even my more mainstream gamer friends have gotten wind of bad reviews and it's put them off. These are people that bought RE5. Cannot see this selling 4.5m.

Mainstream gamers are not the only people who buy these games though. I think there'd be a lot of salty tears and crow eating at the NPD reveal. If RE: ORC can sell 2 million, I don't doubt that this can sell twice of that.

I got more excited after seeing some of the reviews. A 3/10 reeks of fanboyism. Also Giantbomb's review was done by Brad, so I don't really give it much merit.

I bought the game because it looks good and within the first half hour I started to really enjoy it.

Why not? He loved RE 5 and 4 is one of his favorite games.

If anything, all the people who loved RE 5 saying they think RE 6 is bad rings out alarm bells.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The most interesting thing is not how much it sells at launch ( it was destined to have a BIG start), but how it sells after the launch. In the following weeks, we'll know if reviews will influence people or not.

Valnen

Nobody read the reviews?

Game Internet loves - Internet tells you to ignore the reviews and buy it.

Game Internet hates - Internet tells you to listen to the reviews if they're negative, says the reviews got paid off if they're positive.

Don't trust the internet folks. Play it for yourself and make your own judgments.

If RE6 bombs even half as hard as this people might chalk it up to it being a lackluster game, but it could be a sign of things to come. Console performances seem to be having trouble lately.
Seems a little alarmist after ORC's performance. I think games like Max Payne and other run of the mill(hold the pitchforks, I'm gonna explain!) shooters/action games are just experiencing a slump because big retail has evolved into a blockbuster affair and not everyone is on board. Games like Resident Evil ORC and Mass Effect 3 managed to do well from the start because people were looking for a particular experience that they couldn't find anywhere else imo. You can try all day, but the experience you get from ME3 or a high quality RE game is just something that was not easily replicated in a GTA game, Max Payne, Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, Uncharted or Gears of War. It was unique it was enough to get people off their seats when RE4 Wii edition was released, when RE5 came hot off the heels of the greatest third person shooting game ever made, etc. The same could be said for the atmosphere and world of Max Payne.

Now that we have so much homogenization people are in the dumps. Who needs another game they perceive as an Uncharted Ripoff? What about a Gears of War ripoff? Maybe a CoD inspired affair? yawn

I know games like RE6 and ME3 are not some carbon copy of any of the aforementioned games, but we may just be seeing a serious case of apathy towards the "sameness" people see in today's games. It's all speculation until sales come in, but I've always felt that chasing the hardcore blue ocean was a dangerous affair if you lose your old fans and new folks are content with the current offerings(the staple hardcore titles). The reaction towards RE6 in particular is very strong because it's been a slow and painful transition for fans who've been attached to the series for a long time now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Waiting on the PC version to play with my roommate. Might wait even longer for a Steam sale at this point.

It's hard to tell, though. There are a lot of people in the OT really enjoying it at the moment.

gconsole

Whats worse than a bad game is the people judge game they havent play ...

I can avoid the game if i see bad review from either journalist or gamer. But i wont go to the thread saying its shit and hope its fail just because someone else said that. Thats pathetic.

Zaventem

I only read 8-10 reviews.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dramatic over-shipping, count on it. This is definitely true in Australia, at least.

Finaika

The first one.

omonimo

Banned
Why this announce sound like how a control damage to me? This is why I hate so much Capcom this generation. Who cares of critics, see people, it sells.

zoukka

It will ride on the series name and the previous game for sure. Resident Evil 7 won't have that backing it up anymore though.

Spazznid

Loved 4, LOVED 5, and amd loving 6.

The controls are VERY different, but they grow on you and soon, when I replay 4 & 5, I'll be missing them.

Only gripe is that due to lack of ammo/Herbs, this game can be very hard to solo.

Which is ok, since COOP is the main way I play RE5 and RE6.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Let's see how much negative reviews affect the sales of the game.

AHA-Lambda

I wouldn't be surprised if this sells great.

Medal of Honor was ultra panned and ended up over 6 million copies in the end despite only shipping out two million in the first few weeks.

The trick Capcom will have to face is that RE7 will have to prove itself very hard prior to release to not get ill effect.

So just like the upcoming Medal of Honor Warfighter then?

Top Bottom