• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 Ships Over 4.5 Million

That's what all publishers do. Why do think retailers have clearance sales?

The retailer then buys significantly less of future games if the publisher massively overships.

This is why Mirror's Edge and PoP 2008 never got sequels despite EA and Ubisoft being able to trick retailers into carrying millions of copies.

Squire

Banned
I won't fail, but they can kiss that 6m goal goodbye. Months of bad, pre-release word of mouth isn't something RE5 had to contend with. People complained after launch, but pre-release the game always looked good and demoed well, too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gonna pick it up new or used here in the next couple weeks for $40. I've already seen it at $50. Played two of Chris' chapters with my brother, it's a good time. And SOOO long. Took us More than 70 minutes per chapter.

As far as mechanics and controls go, it's down to preference. I have absolutely no problem with them and adapted pretty quickly. It's similar enough to RE5 that if you were good at that, you'll be at least decent with RE6. Things like shooting in the head -> melee are still present, but now share space with mechanics like melee combos and quickshot -> melee.

CronoShot

I just got through playing the first couple hours of Leon's campaign. I think it's quite fun. Better than RE5 at any rate.

sleepykyo

FWIW, I really have no idea how this game is going to do. Is it review proof like Transformer movies? Is it a vocal minority of pissed off survival horror fans and people who are tired of AAA video games making most of the noise? Or do people really not like it?

I'm going with Nirolak's view. This game will do great, RE7 is going to need a monumental advertising campaign to avoid RE6 being the Resistance 2 of the franchise though.

Wouldn't the opposite also be true that you are buying games regardless of quality? Wouldn't that also make you just a sheep?

People buy games because the game interests them, at least I would hope that is why people buy it. I don't think people are buying the game simply cause others told them to do so.

scitek

untitled-1a0bmh.gif

AHAHAHA

Jawmuncher

I'm going with Nirolak's view. This game will do great, RE7 is going to need a monumental advertising campaign to avoid RE6 being the Resistance 2 of the franchise though.

Agreed it's going to do fine being Resident Evil and the first Big Game of the Holiday.
But RE7 is definetly going to need to change things up mainly in polish since this isn't something capcom wants to repeat.

Unless they want to be like Silent Hill.

kswiston

Any game can ship 4.5 million copies no matter how shitty.

If that was true there wouldn't have been any studio closings this generation. Any (big budget) game can ship 1-2 million copies, but 4+ is still difficult.

If Capcom was smart, they would hold off on any new Resident Evil titles until we are a year or two into next gen and everything is new and shiny again. The last two games must have hurt any goodwill they had with current gen customers.

Squire

Banned
I am willing to buy it right away if they fix the fov. I just can't play because of 3D sickness.

Someone asked me earlier today if I'd get the game if they fixed the camera and controls. My resonse: They had four months to fix those things after the first demo and never did, so why would they now?

I wanna point out, Capcom makes stupid decisions, but they're not entirely dumb and their ears aren't plugged. People were talking major shit when the first demo dropped and we know for sure they noticed because they commented on the FR issues. If they noticed that, they noticed everything.

This is it. This is how the game plays.

People buy games because the game interests them, at least I would hope that is why people buy it. I don't think people are buying the game simply cause others told them to do so.

If someone who has an opinion I respect, tells me I'm probably not going to enjoy a game, then it's probably wise for me to follow their advice.

Like dahbomb said, it would be more sheepish to buy a game regardless on brand name alone, and then try to extract something out of it.

I don't want it to outright bomb so bad Capcom in a panic abandons any future games and focuses soley on MH but I do hope it is drastically below their projections so they are forced to really take a hard look at the franchise.

I don't know...I just listened to the Giant Bombcast, and they tore it a new one.

It's honestly not worth some of the vitriol it's getting IMO. Some parts are good and some parts are bad but the sad thing is when everything lines up I actually think its better than RE5. Unfortunately those highs didn't come often enough for me. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to buy it but I would also say if you had a chance to pick it up cheap to go for it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Marketing

All it is is brand name and marketing dollars.

Yes video games are commercial products

If someone who has an opinion I respect, tells me I'm probably not going to enjoy a game, then it's probably wise for me to follow their advice.

Like dahbomb said, it would be more sheepish to buy a game regardless on brand name alone, and then try to extract something out of it.

I disagree. I think even if something is bad, if you have an interest in it it's worth experiencing and learning why it's bad. That's why I played DMC2 on the collection

I like to experience things for myself is all

Much preferable than just adopting another opinion as your own

iLLmAtlc

Retailers were going to be demanding this game, that's not a surprise. What's going to be interesting is to see how many of those copies go off the shelves given the bad press it has been getting.

Rockstar touted 3 million copies shipped of Max Payne 3 8 days after launch but it turned out pretty disappointing with about 400k sold in the US (they even acknowledged sales were lower than anticipated).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348764/max-payne-3-ships-3-million-copies/

ohlawd

I don't want it to outright bomb so bad Capcom in a panic abandons any future games and focuses soley on MH but I do hope it is drastically below their projections so they are forced to really take a hard look at the franchise.

I'd welcome more Rathalos in my life.

Its absolutely wise for you to follow their advice. But don't sit here and flat out say the game is garbage when you have not played it. I see that mentality all over this board, just using someone elses opinion to substitute for your own.

Riposte

Retailers were going to be demanding this game, that's not a surprise. What's going to be interesting is to see how many of those copies go off the shelves given the bad press it has been getting.

Rockstar touted 3 million copies shipped of Max Payne 3 8 days after launch but it turned out pretty disappointing with about 400k sold in the US (they even acknowledged sales were lower than anticipated).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348764/max-payne-3-ships-3-million-copies/

If RE6 bombs even half as hard as this people might chalk it up to it being a lackluster game, but it could be a sign of things to come. Console performances seem to be having trouble lately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
>> cvxfreak @cvxfreak
>> I hate to say it, but RE6 is a huge, steaming pile of mediocrity.

It must be true, when even cvxfreak is not on board.

I said Goddamn. I feel so bad for CVX. I am a Biohazard freak like him, but I don't purposely eat Capcom's turds in hope of getting a good one. :(

la_briola

I disagree. I think even if something is bad, if you have an interest in it it's worth experiencing and learning why it's bad. That's why I played DMC2 on the collection

I agree, but not if I have to pay 50$/€.

A.E Suggs

It will still sell at least 3.5mill. ORC sold 2 million for a spin-off so RE6 should be good for at least that much since there's nothing else really competing with it either. People forget sometimes that bad games still sell well.

Shinta

Banned
If that was true there wouldn't have been any studio closings this generation. Any (big budget) game can ship 1-2 million copies, but 4+ is still difficult.

If Capcom was smart, they would hold off on any new Resident Evil titles until we are a year or two into next gen and everything is new and shiny again. The last two games must have hurt any goodwill they had with current gen customers.

Agreed. Next gen they'll have a perfectly fine opportunity to try and correct mistakes. RE3 didn't set the world on fire either, and they went back to the drawing board and came back with RE4.

Also, Mikami's Z.W.E.I. will be out soon and could provide the inspiration people need for another round of survival horror games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I agree to the game and thi, but not if I have to pay 50$/€.

Never said anything about price lol

Not going to run out and pick this up at MSRP. Wasn't going to do that if it was getting perfect reviews

Just disagree with the statement I quoted

Dahbomb

Its absolutely wise for you to follow their advice. But don't sit here and flat out say the game is garbage when you have not played it. I see that mentality all over this board, just using someone elses opinion to substitute for your own.
Oh that is wrong for sure, I agree completely. You can't make a claim on game quality like that but you are allowed to make informed decisions on your purchases and shouldn't just blindly buy games due to hype, brand name or marketing. That was the point of the question I posed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Retailers buy the game from the publisher. It's not a worthless statistic. This shows that the game, almost surely, is already profitable.

Assuming all that stock does get sold. If it doesn't and just sits there taking space, retailers are going to want to reduce that. Returned stock as well as stock sold at reduced prices before a certain amount of time has passed does have a financial impact on publishers and is part of any particular game's P&L.

I haven't said the game is outright garbage. But from what I have played of the demo its quite flawed and I can see why people can say its a bad game.

That said, the only reason I even tried the demo was to see if it was as bad as everyone was saying. Otherwise I really don't care about this series at all.

The PS3 game is sold out on Amazon Japan. They won't restock until Saturday.

Take that for what you will.

It only released today as well.

Maybe, but videogames are a significant time investment these days.

There are so many games that I know I'll love, personally. I haven't got the time to give everything a try.

If a demo doesn't wow me, and I'm not impressed by the media surrounding a game, I'll look at reviews and follow trusted opinions. It rarely steers me wrong.

And deciding not to buy a game, because you feel it may not be worth your time is not the same as playing the game and then saying with conviction a game is shit. That I agree is something that people should be called out on, even if I myself do it from time to time.

Lucent

Yes yes...let the hate flow through you~

I'm enjoying the game. I don't let reviewers speak or think for me.

Top Bottom