• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

jediyoshi

i5 750 + 970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbSOL_Ffc8

Runs real well, pretty easy 75-90fps in the main house portions. Wonder what's different during the tape segment, fps shoots up to the 130-155 range. Guessing it's the lack of lights.

HBAO+ 87
SSAO 127
AO Off 135

What the hell is resolution scaling supposed to do, though? Kills my performance if I turn it up. Otherwise it runs fine for me.

Supersampling (if you're turning it up). It's rendering at higher than your native resolution and then scaling it back down to your screen.

Chumley

Banned
Looked up the way to get the "true ending" and fuck that shit, way too scary. If the whole game is like this I might just watch someone play it on youtube instead, Amnesia the dark descent was the same way for me.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Running on a 1080, i5 6600 overclocked to 3.9 GHz, with 16gb of RAM.

With no frame counter I can run acceptably at 4k on high with a rung below HBAO, but it does get rather...Slow in rooms with lots of geometry (kitchen so far).

Now if I switch to 1440p I can move everything to high and just keep HBAO lowered to the next tier and it seems I'm staying at around 50+, but there's really no way to tell until someone figures out how to view fps.

jediyoshi

Now if I switch to 1440p I can move everything to high and just keep HBAO lowered to the next tier and it seems I'm staying at around 50+, but there's really no way to tell until someone figures out how to view fps.

Doubt there's a built in counter if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise your regular Fraps/MSI Afterburners/etc should pick it up fine. Steam can do it as well, Settings -> In-Game -> In-game FPS Counter

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Doubt there's a built in counter if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise your regular Fraps/MSI Afterburners/etc should pick it up fine. Steam can do it as well, Settings -> In-Game -> In-game FPS Counter

Have that enabled, as well as the Geforce Experience one. I was just using both in Skryim before playing this. No reason they shouldn't be working in this unless somehow they disabled them. I've noticed that some games just won't allow them. I don't know if it's intentional or a side effect of how a particular game is made or what.

Core i5 (4690k), 16gb of DDR3 RAM, Radeon 6970, everything on whatever it defaulted to.

Runs 60fps for the most part but wandering around the kitchen area in present day tanks the framerate really hard with lots of stuttering. The kitchen area during the flashback is fine, though, for some reason.

It also feels unnaturally dark. I remember watching a couple of playthroughs when the first RE7 demo went up on PSN and this feels almost too dark to see a lot of the time

kuHhObB.png

Capcom's in-game brightness setting also doesn't help much (here's the stairwell on max brightness)

It's obviously a form of color correction because there are places where they pull back on the darkness a little bit and it looks "fine" (like near the locked door on the first floor) but this feels REALLY, REALLY dark compared to what I remember seeing a few months ago. Quite literally impossible to see at certain points.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Core i5 (4690k), 16gb of DDR3 RAM, Radeon 6970, everything on whatever it defaulted to.

Runs 60fps for the most part but wandering around the kitchen area in present day tanks the framerate really hard with lots of stuttering. The kitchen area during the flashback is fine, though, for some reason.

It also feels unnaturally dark. I remember watching a couple of playthroughs when the first RE7 demo went up on PSN and this feels almost too dark to see a lot of the time

Capcom's in-game brightness setting also doesn't help much (here's the stairwell on max brightness)

It's obviously a form of color correction because there are places where they pull back on the darkness a little bit and it looks "fine" (like near the locked door on the first floor) but this feels REALLY, REALLY dark compared to what I remember seeing a few months ago. Quite literally impossible to see at certain points.

Wow, there is something wrong with your darkness settings somewhere. Here's what my game looks like with darkness turned down by one since I thought it was initially too bright:

1F59E8BD8536E8C9F80A2C83822A36C91F5B5E33

26A371FBEC4275587A45D5E3FF787886A932C6F6

And that's turning the Darkness down by one below the default. Wonder what's going on there for you?

Espada

i5 4590 + 1070 here, I was able to run the game at 1440p really well. 60fps with no drops, and all I had to do was drop ambient occlusion to SSAO. Everything else was at very high or high. HBAO+ on makes the game dip into the mid 50s every once in a while, while its effect on the image isn't significant enough to keep.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor my framerate and I noticed that the game uses ~5GB of memory with the very high texture quality option selected (by comparison, Rise of the Tomb Raider used ~7GB). Still, I did noticed a lot of ugly textures, even from afar.

Still, it's great to see the game has all these options to play with. Definitely crank down AO and shadows for an immediate boost in framerate.

Fake Edit: Forgot to mention I used SMAA and Vsync. FXAA and FXAA+TAA made the image incredibly soft and blurry.

Wow, there is something wrong with your darkness settings somewhere. Here's what my game looks like with darkness turned down by one since I thought it was initially too bright:

1F59E8BD8536E8C9F80A2C83822A36C91F5B5E33

26A371FBEC4275587A45D5E3FF787886A932C6F6

And that's turning the Darkness down by one below the default. Wonder what's going on there for you?

Here I am on max brightness by the locked door.

It's the only room that looks "normal," and again, max brightness.

If I walk back down the hallway towards the kitchen...

In the graphics options I switched color spaces and it made it even darker

Settings 1, Settings 2

Oh, and I guess whatever lighting bug I'm getting, it doesn't effect the flashback segment because it looks fine

Maybe explains why the framerate in the kitchen is better during the flashback, too. It's not choking on whatever's killing my visibility

2560x1440, 5820k OC'd and 980Ti.

Everything on max, CA turned off and AA on SMAA got me 48fps-60+fps (the 48fps occured slightly weirdly, when looking at an object like the TV etc. In the normal hallways and rooms it was pretty much 60fps all the time). Using the supersampling stuff even at 1.1 seems to murder the framerate, comparatively, to 30-40fps...but weirdly even on 1.2 and 1.3 there's no further decrease in framerate.

BBboy20

Ok, they need to add in walking speeds because trying to be either very cautious or not taking point for NPCs is jarring.

Been getting hitches despite RAM not reaching 100 and that my CPU isn't being used that much; might be due to off-screen loading

Ok, they need to add in walking speeds because trying to be either very cautious or not taking point for NPCs is jarring.

Been getting hitches despite RAM not reaching 100 and that my CPU isn't being used that much; might be due to off-screen loading

You can click the stick to run, I think.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Crashes every single time after the initial cutscene for me, bummer.
EDIT: Seems to be a Phenom II problem.

Bl@de

My first impression: Fantastic job Capcom. This is how proper PC support looks like. Great performance, lots of customization and no problem with different resolutions or framerates. If this would be the release version I would be totally happy, but there is still one month for optimizations.

I have some suggestions (if anybody is reading this forum^^):
- Offer FOV options above 90°. I sometimes prefer 95-100° (and some people even more). But even at 90° it is so much better than the PS4 version.
- Volumetric lightning (on the highest setting) in combination with some anti-aliasing methods (FXAA+TAA) can cause shimmering on floor textures. No problem with TAA.
- Improve HBAO+ performance (this goes to Nvidia as well). It causes a drop from 120 to 70 fps, which is simply to much for that effect when comparing it to other games.
- Camera control seems to be "floaty" (like simulating the head of the character). An option to disable it (like camera movement when walking) would be great. I don't like "immersive effects" like that. They usually make controls worse and add little to the experience, especially at high mouse sensitivity settings.

Here are some quick screenshots (highest settings with SSAO and no CA, 2560x1440, TAA anti-aliasing):

My system: Xeon E3-1230 v3 (@MCE) | GTX 980 Ti @ 1.403/3.815 MHz | 16GB DDR3 | Crucial MX100 500GB

Unkle

cant even get the demo to start for me. :(

What error are you getting? Had a problem, too, but managed to solve it.

Demo's running well for me, getting an 95fps average at 2560x1440 with everything turned up with a 1070. Videotape scene was hitting 130fps average, too.

big_z

What error are you getting? Had a problem, too, but managed to solve it.

Demo's running well for me, getting an 95fps average at 2560x1440 with everything turned up with a 1070. Videotape scene was hitting 130fps average, too.

no error, click play and the little steam box pops ups for a second indicating its starting then nothing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the real FPS killer is Shadow Rendering. I can max it out sans HBAO and Very High shadows in 1080p and get a consistent 80+ FPS.

Turn shadows to Very High it goes to 28-40, with it being more in the lower end of that spectrum lol.

Very impressive, this is on a 280X with a stock FX6300 and 12gB of RAM. Capgod strikes again with quality PC ports, like god damn. Also it seems Reflections are better to have on Variable rather than On. With the option set to 'On' reflective surfaces start to shimmer if you get far away from them whereas Variable seems to disable the effect before shimmering, looks much better that way.

Dunno why Very High shadows causes my FPS to dip by 45-50 though, didn't notice a difference graphics wise? Maybe I'm just hitting a bottleneck, 280X is pretty old at this point. That said, fantastic looking game, if a bit blurry, like everything is covered in vaseline. Does the fact that it uses Denuvo make it impossible to inject some sharpening?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hello men, my wonderings to you: Does the mouse and keyboard function in this demo appropriately or does it misbehave?

Vazduh

Crashes every single time after the initial cutscene for me, bummer.
EDIT: Seems to be a Phenom II problem.

Not just Phenom II, it's the same with my Q9450. Crashes in the middle of the initial cutscene, i.e. the VHS tape. Allegedly it's the lack of SSE 4.2 instructions, but I wouldn't know, someone mentioned that on the Steam boards.

Too bad because from little I've seen, it actually ran pretty well with most settings on medium, and some high (Q9450, 8 GB DDR 1066, GeForce 750Ti OC 2 GB).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SO, here's a copy & paste of my instructions of how to do the hidden puzzle in Resident Evil 7 from what we know. DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED ALL THE DEMO, it has HUGE spoilers. Know there's a lot more to do in the demo outside of the 'bad' ending where you go out the backdoor, play the demo a second time and use what you learned in the VHS sequence to see what I'm talking about if you haven't already.

With that said, here's spoilers of how to do the cryptic puzzle, which unlocks a secret item in the final game:

In the basement is a monster. It doesn't matter for any of this if you kill it, don't kill it, get infected, or are not infected at all. If you are infected just make sure not to get near the ladder in the attic and you'll be fine. The monster will despawn if you pick up the attic key in the basement and leave (the attic key is in the side room on a shelf above eye level with a doll). This whole process will be much easier if you despawn or kill the monster. It also is possible to not spawn the monster (don't pick up the Valve yet and don't go to the side room yet), but you'll have to escape afterwards.

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I
go down there and grab the key and book it out to despawn it and go back?
? Because it seems to
spawn when I go into that room and can't dodge it, grab the key and dodge it again without dying
?

Dusk Golem

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I
go down there and grab the key and book it out to despawn it and go back?
? Because it seems to
spawn when I go into that room and can't dodge it, grab the key and dodge it again without dying
?

Basically
When you grab the valve, the monster will spawn, when you grab the attic key and leave the room, once you've left the monster will despawn. The thing I usually do is grab the valve then try to get the heck out of the room, and then go back in and grab the attic key and try to get out before it gets me. You can kill it, but know just don't die. To get the Old Coin, it 100% doesn't matter if you're infected or not (but if you are infected, just don't touch the ladder in the attic).

Kareha

Fucking hell this really scared the shit out of me. Also it runs great on my PC, 2560X1440p everything maxxed out on my 6700K/980 Ti. Capcom so far have done a good job, will hold judgement for the final release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Basically
When you grab the valve, the monster will spawn, when you grab the attic key and leave the room, once you've left the monster will despawn. The thing I usually do is grab the valve then try to get the heck out of the room, and then go back in and grab the attic key and try to get out before it gets me. You can kill it, but know just don't die. To get the Old Coin, it 100% doesn't matter if you're infected or not (but if you are infected, just don't touch the ladder in the attic).

I didn't grab that and it still spawned when I went into the side-room. So I'm not sure what causes that to trigger?
I went for the key first, got bit/infected. Grabbed the key, got attacked again. Tried to hit the stairs (to despawn it?), but got disoriented/couldn't find the stairs and died

KainXVIII

My two cents - RE7 demo in current state is not very good port.
On consoles it optimized to 60 fps output, so it should run very good on most of computers, but not in this case, on my i5-3570/gtx 970 i get some framedrops (even if i lower shadows quality which is super taxing) and graphics is not that good (Oulast 2 demo looks and runs better) to demand such requirements.
No triple buffering AND no borderless windows support, so you get drops to 30 fps very often.

Dusk Golem

My two cents - RE7 demo in current state is not very good port.
On consoles it optimized to 60 fps output, so it should run very good on most of computers, but not in this case, on my i5-3570/gtx 970 i get some framedrops (even if i lower shadows quality which is super taxing) and graphics is not that good (Oulast 2 demo looks and runs better) to demand such requirements.
No triple buffering AND no borderless windows support, so you get drops to 30 fps very often.

One mention, Borderless Window support is in the game itself, and I believe will be patched into the demo, but wbacon mentioned they had to take it out last second due to a bug, and they decided to keep it out for the time being instead of delay the demo to fix it, but it should be good for the final game. The demo is a good window into how the game will do on PC, but they're still doing further optimizations and tweaks and listening to demo feedback and all that.

I didn't grab that and it still spawned when I went into the side-room. So I'm not sure what causes that to trigger?
I went for the key first, got bit/infected. Grabbed the key, got attacked again. Tried to hit the stairs (to despawn it?), but got disoriented/couldn't find the stairs and died

That's how I met the monster the first time too. XD; More correctly if you grab the valve OR go into the side room, that way you can't just pick up the attic key, I should of clarified. But you can stay in the morgue room without it spawning until you either pick up the valve or go to the side room. One tip is you can kick the body in the center into the monster to stun it for about five seconds, but it's possible to kick down the door after grabbing the valve before the monster can hurt you, but you need to be quick on your feet and it did take me a bit of practice to get it down.

KainXVIII

The demo is a good window into how the game will do on PC, but they're still doing further optimizations and tweaks and listening to demo feedback and all that.

Cool, then i need to bug Wbacon about new Dualshock 4 support (which have different ID) =)

Playing this is difficult for me.

Definitely pre-ordering.

They nailed the art and audio. In for a full game of PT.

You mean difficult like...you find it tense?

It's a case of that for me :p Granted I don't really go in for horror much but the atmosphere feels pretty thick and foreboding to me from the off, like I press F to open a door then when I press W to move it further I'm expecting the worst and almost want to close my eyes.

Over time I'd breeze past things but it seems really good to me so far, and I think I'll definetley be pre-ordering.

Mat-triX

For some reason, booting up the demo starts it in windowed mode, and I have no cursor/control in the game. I can alt+enter to full screen it, but I still get no control. Anyone know a way to fix this?

Top Bottom