• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Remember when Bosman said that the best way to be good (talking about RE7) is to have a great ending?

I would die of laughter if Chris dies as an ending.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

strafer

dbYJVLE.jpg
RA7S7pq.png

Who plays a horror game in a well lit room? Come on son.

Astral

It is so dangerous for me to be in this thread since I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I'm too impatient to wait for an impressions thread. I was so patient until today. Now I can't wait for this to come out. My biggest question is, is it scary? I'm guessing "not really" but I need to know.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Astral

Game isn't in most people's hands yet, everything we know is from bits of information. So really it'd be best to wait for the impressions thread since none of this spoiler talk is from people playing the game yet, things outside of it since I don't think the game itself has leaked at all yet.

When it does leak is when I'll be bailing, because while I don't care much for spoiling the story for myself (I think RE stories are enjoyable, but usually in a cheesy way and don't care as much for getting spoiled on them as much as some other series), what I don't want spoiled is the 'gameplay experience', IE things like videos, how certain boss fights go down, etc. I'm fine with some spoilers, but I wouldn't want to know things like the best method to defeat a certain enemy, when a scare will happen, etc. I like to experience the gameplay experience first-hand, so when that is starting to get out there in videos and such is when I'm gonna' bail until I've beaten it.

Oh I thought some of these images were from someone who already had the game. And the spoilers out right now spoil no gameplay moments whatsoever?

Dusk Golem

Linkura

No Wesker (though the only reason I care about this at all is because of the datamining), Chris possibly dies?

Jesus, Capcom. Still really hoping this is good. Chris dying would be a huge fuck you though.

Simo

I guess this is out on the east coast. I was surprised to see someone in my friends list playing but then they always get games a week or 2 early. Lol

No Wesker (though the only reason I care about this at all is because of the datamining), Chris possibly dies?

Jesus, Capcom. Still really hoping this is good. Chris dying would be a huge fuck you though.

Im a huge fan but that would be such a massive "fuck you" I honestly don't think i'd even finish the game.
There is absolutely no way to make that remotely work in the context of 7.

I only skimmed through the locations since I don't want to be spoiled there. Really hope Chris doesn't die. If he does, though, I wonder if it'll be part of alternate endings? Like, doing certain things will cause him to die, but the canon ending is him living. Most of the endings of the original RE had major characters dying, after all, the canon endings had them all getting out alive.

JayEH

If Chris dies in this fucking game I will never buy a Resident Evil again,
Not REmake and not Revelations 3 even if both are incredible.

If they wanted to kill him off it should have been 5, 6 or a Revelations 3.

I agree I think it'd be very disrespectful if they kill him off without him being the main character in the game or saving Jill etc. Even if he ends up knowing ethan or mia or whatever it will feel forced. There's no emotional payoff that way.

Dusk Golem

It also seems super weird to kill Chris and then have him in Vendetta. I realize Vendetta is set between RE6 and 7, so it wouldn't contradict canon if he does die, but I don't know, that just seems like a weird move to make.

If they were to kill him it should have been during RE6 like intended. To kill him off when he's not even the focus let alone a MC is kinda shitty but there's no telling this is even true or not.

I'll wait and see.

I think without any context or even much information about RE7 it will seem forced because it's isolated and with no context. Not to mention it may very well not be true, so just hold the horses until then.

Imo there is no possible way for any context of 7 to make it work.
He dies as a secondary character saving this nobody in a lower tier event with none of his supporting cast around.
It would be a stunt to make 7 seem more vital to the mainline and a cheap way to incite drama from series fans.

There are a million ways for Capcom to do it if they have to and make it work perfectly but not in 7 imo..

Revelations 3 for example:
have Alex kill Chris early on or at the end because she knows how much of a thorn he was to Wesker and Umbrella
then you'd also have direct Barry and Claire involvement. Hopefully Jill as well.

I really hope this is just the same speculation and discussion that has been going on since RE5 previews started.

dlauv

Leon honestly should have died after his character assassination in RE6.

But if we're losing RCS then, well, maybe it's for the best.

I hope they keep giving us new characters in new situations.

Fury451

Banned
I always found Leon to be a way more interesting protagonist than Chris personally.

Oddly, I tend to like Leon the least.

He was fine as a rookie cop in 2, but then he got Raidened into "an ultra badass super agent" and I've disliked him since.

He was fine in 6, but he was almost a different character then anyways.

Should've kept him in the Steve role in CVX.

I like him the least of the re protaganists.

I'd like Leon a tiny bit if they just stopped with the "will they, won't they" with Ada,
In either way.

RE4 Leon was cool for that game but that was it, otherwise I don't like Leon at all.
This is also a problem as RE4 Leon forever would be boring.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Mifec

I probably shouldn't of watched that, I wasn't expecting that last bit at all. But I think it might be topic worthy.

lemme just sprinkle some healing fluid on my severed leg and have it healed and have full use of it

this is so dumb in a good way

yeah magical liquid that fixes severed limbs.

That is the most RE thing I've ever seen, in the level of how dumb it is.

I honestly hope this is basically just classic RE in first person, I'd be okay with that. The demo gave me heavy RE1 vibes.

yeah magical liquid that fixes severed limbs.

That is the most RE thing I've ever seen, in the level of how dumb it is.

I honestly hope this is basically just classic RE in first person, I'd be okay with that. The demo gave me heavy RE1 vibes.

I'm pretty sure I read a quote from Capcom where they said that (ReMake specifically) was one of their inspirations. Return to the roots, but have a new perspective so it forces innovation from them, but still have Resi flavour. They said that they were surprised people find the series "cheesy" so I'm not sure they could make a deadly serious game if they tried :p

Does anyone know if there's any Artbook or Strategy Guide being produced for this?

I'm pretty sure I read a quote from Capcom where they said that (ReMake specifically) was one of their inspirations. Return to the roots, but have a new perspective so it forces innovation from them, but still have Resi flavour. They said that they were surprised people find the series "cheesy" so I'm not sure they could make a deadly serious game if they tried :p

Does anyone know if there's any Artbook or Strategy Guide being produced for this?

I think it was actually the original they spoke of, not REmake, from that first Capcom Unity interview/stream.

So far there hasn't been word of either. Would love a dedicated art book.

I think it was actually the original they spoke of, not REmake, from that first Capcom Unity interview/stream.

So far there hasn't been word of either. Would love a dedicated art book.

Ah, ok. I think in a broad sense their point is still applicable as it seems they want a return to survival horror and that sort of gameplay (although obviously updated). Now you mention it (original Resi) I seem to remember them saying a very early prototype for that was as a first person game.

An art book would be nice (I hear Resi 5 has a good artbook, no idea about 6) so hopefully they might announce something post release.

Are you sure the insects are enemies and not just swarm attacks Margherette uses against you?

Personally, I think it would be hilarious to have Chris show up all "Come with me if you want to live.. Ergh!" - takes ax to the back and keels over.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Scotia

Banned
In the soundtrack, the final boss's music theme is titled, "Daidara-bocchi".

A Daidara-bocchi is a Japanese Demon which is mistaken for a mountain or a mass of land. It stays dormant for centuries and people build homes, live on it, think it's just a mass of land, until one day it awakens and stands up from the ground and reveals it was actually a demon all along, one bigger than mountains even.

From a really old leak there was a mention of BOW in RE7 that was bigger than any other monster in the series to date. I actually think a twist in RE7 is that the Baker Plantation isn't hiding a secret within it, the whole goddamn plantation is actually a giant B.O.W., the whole place is nested on-top of a giant monster.

But we shall certainly see if that pans out. But from a leak from ages ago that even revealed Chris supposedly in the first place, it mentioned there was a monster in RE7 that was bigger than anything else the series had seen so far. And with the final boss theme on the soundtrack being named Daidara-bocchi, a Japanese Demon who's head is mistaken for a mountain and then reveals it's actually a demon even to people living on-top of it, it does paint quite a colorful possibility.

This sounds amazing. Hoping this ends up being the case.

Top Bottom