• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VR is possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had to date

black070

I was never really keen on VR in all honesty, when it started taking off I kind of just hoped it wouldn't take resources away from conventional gaming..

That all changed once I got to try out Resident Evil 7 on PSVR. The artstyle, visuals, sound design, pacing, pretty much everything blends so masterfully when playing in VR that you actually get fully absorbed into the game. It's ridiculously immersive and even with people sitting around with me, I couldn't help but feel caught up in what transpires in the game. I can't stop gushing about it to all my friends, and I'm really keen on introducing them to it because it simply is an experience worth having.

I wasn't too keen on VR when it first started taking off, but after playing Resident Evil 7, I'm fully convinced that this is the definitive way to experiencing games.

Xion86

Good to hear! I've yet to play Resident Evil 7 and very tempted to give it a go on VR for the first time.

Jawmuncher

The quality wasn’t there when I tried VR on a the base PS4. Heard it’s better on Pro. But at this point I’d rather just wait for the PC access to hit.

It's not even the same game on a TV.

Boring a fuck by comparison.

The quality wasn’t there when I tried VR on a the base PS4. Heard it’s better on Pro. But at this point I’d rather just wait for the PC access to hit.

You obviously know nothing about quality. The game oozes quality.

Hazanko

Banned
I've been gaming as a kid and always loved when the tech changed and something cool came out. I thought it was amazing the dreamcast had Internet and chu chu rocket! I got bored with gaming because I didn't feel like game makers took those risks anymore but when I got Psvr and RE7.... WOW. It was like I was there! I turned off all the comfort stuff and explored. Im not even a fan of horror games but VR and this game really did make me think, this is the future.

Felensis

Banned
Yesterday I tried RE7 for the first time in VR and even though I've finished it earlier this year without VR it scared the shit out of me. Luckily no motion sickness here. Graphics and controls are unbelievably good, a masterpiece. Can't wait to finish it once again and this time even in it's final form :D

ffvorax

RE7 in VR is a game changer, really. I experienced all the game first on VR and it was a fantastic ride!
I played it again without VR, and it lost all the immersion of the VR.... still a good game, but VR is very well implemented, even playing with the pad is not a problem for the immersion.

I have to say that when it became too much "action" it's a bit hard to play more than 40minutes... it's an heavy VR game overall when action comes in for too long!

Telekap

So how is it for people who get motion sickness. I really want to try it. Psvr has not made me as motion sick as I had originally thought. But was curious is it actually free movement or teleporting?

So how is it for people who get motion sickness. I really want to try it. Psvr has not made me as motion sick as I had originally thought. But was curious is it actually free movement or teleporting?
Its free movement. Turning the camera can be done the usual way with the stick or shifting various degrees at a time tapping the stick.

I agree. Resident Evil 7 on PSVR is crazy amazing but too intense at the same time. It really puts you in the heart of a horror situation. Personally, i can't play more than an hour because of exactly that, too intense and scary.

Those who look for real immersion, i highly recommend RE7 VR.

Zutrax

Absolutely agree. RE7 standalone is a great game, but RE7 VR is a fantastic game and worthy of game of the year for me.

It's the game that elevated VR experiences for me, showed me VR can be more than a gimmick, allow full control/free movement, and give us full lengthy experiences we crave. It made that game into an immersive terrifying experience like no other I've felt before in regards to gaming. It was the first time since possibly the jump to 3D with the N64 that I've felt such strong feelings about an innovation in gaming technology. I really do hope some people notice and recognize this come game of the year time, it absolutely deserves its praises and I feel if more people were to experience this game this way, VR would get a bigger push than it already has.

Edit:

Also in regards to this question. It's 100% free movement, just as if you'd be playing without VR. You definitely will feel motion sickness at first, VR legs are a thing. I felt a pretty bad amount at first, but you just kind of have to stick with it. Stop playing when you feel it. Play again but a bit longer if you can the next time. Keep doing this and you will eventually become accustomed to it. A lot of people think the free movement and motion sickness you feel from it is a huge downfall of VR and a permanent thing. But I have noticed on many occasions with myself and friends/family that if you persevere with VR you eventually get used to it and you stop feeling motion sickness altogether. At the beginning of RE7 I couldn't play more than 15 minutes without feeling queasy. But now I did a complete full 6 hour run without taking off the helmet and felt totally fine.

EmryX

Neo Member
Capcom still planing support VR on PC after the PSVR exclusivity (one year, if i remember correctly) ?

I'm a giant pansy so i can't play this in VR (or period), but I watched my friend play a bit on mine. He seemed to have fun.

Surfside

Banned
Yeah i feel like not playing it, until i can save the money for a PSVR set. Because not knowing what awaits you behind the next corner will be glorious, in vr.
Man just thinking of playing Alien Isolation in vr..mmmmh. But to play it you have to shell out even more money.

emb

It's amazing. VR is a great fit for horror, as many predicted. RE7 is a masterful implementation of it. Real, substantial game to play. And VR makes it more immersive, rather than just being a gimmick. Playing it was one of those moments where you realize, 'yeah, this is a big deal'.

I wouldn't call it one of my best experiences, since I'm a complete wimp. Certainly one of the most memorable. It's so peculiar really being too nervous to walk through a dark door!

Yep, it really is fantastic. So good that I have yet to get past the intro. I played up until
your girlfriend tries to kill you when you head downstairs
and it was just incredible.

I'll never forget the feeling I had when I went into the crawlway, then there was that flooded area ---- the lighting, the dread, everything just made me go NOPE and I was frozen there for a good minute.

VR just takes the immersion to a whole new level. One of my most vivid memories was at the end of The Heist game on VR Worlds, when you fail to take down the mafia guy and
he stabs you in the gut
. I actually recoiled from that happening and felt like I'd been punched in the chest, like when something like that happens in a dream --- you can't register the pain, but you can register some sort of impact to your body.

And as crazy as it sounds, after my very first experience with VR, playing some Drive Club VR, it was so realistic being able to look in the rear & side mirror etc. that the next time I drove my real car, I was getting this strange sense of very, very slightly questioning my own reality.....

black070

You have the option between free movement and teleporting - I havent had many issues at all, I did find myself taking a few minutes break here and there, but that's to be expected when going on hours long binges.

And as crazy as it sounds, after my very first experience with VR, playing some Drive Club VR, it was so realistic being able to look in the rear & side mirror etc. that the next time I drove my real car, I was getting this strange sense of very, very slightly questioning my own reality.....

I had that recently as my friend bought an M4. Never sat in one before except for in Driveclub VR and when I got in it was a massive what the fuck de ja vu moment. It felt so familiar but everything was slightly off. So strange.

Yeah. I don't think it's the best game I've played, but it's absolutely one of the best *experiences* I've had gaming, if that makes any sense.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hell yes me boy! Very glad you pushed through the initial fear and now you are able to experience one of the best gaming experiences in VR. The sense of presence is fucking amazing and it truly makes this game for me. I couldn't bring myself to finish even 1 chapter in non-VR mode after beating the entire campaign in VR for the first playthrough.

It truly is a night & day difference in terms of immersion and the quality of the overall experience. Happy you're having a blast with it now black070; it'll only get better. :)

Edit: In regards to motion sickness, leave everything as default at first and play around for a couple of hours. I only experienced motion sickness in this game when I cranked everything to manual and the highest settings/speed.

As someone that came from the PC version running at high rez, playing it on regular PS4 in VR was a huge visual downgrade.

Liked the fact it was in VR, but I almost puked twice and I ended up quitting after like 40 minutes because I was in sweat and absolutely sick.

Wasn't too fond of the way they handled transitions from gameplay to cutscene... It imho broke immersion. Felt more immersed in the regular / pc version due to the gameplay not constantly fading to black to trigger a cutscene.

Would definitively play it on a high-end PC in vr if I can avoid the motion sickness (note that most other PS vr games don't make me sick).

Green Yoshi

I stopped playing after a few hours. The problem is not motion sickness but that jump scares in VR freak me out. It's the same with Until Dawn.

FiveSide

Banned
I'd say there were only 10 games in the history of the industry that were proof-of-concepts for an entirely new way of playing games. They weren't necessarily the first games to do these things, but they were the first ones to take these new mechanics and translate them into full-fledged, excellent games:

1972 - Pong (games in general)
1977 - Zork (adventure games)
1980 - Pac-Man (arcade games)
1985 - Super Mario Bros. (console games)
1989 - Tetris (handheld games)
1992 - Ultima Underworld (1st-person)
1993 - DOOM (multiplayer)
1996 - Super Mario 64 (3D 3rd-person)
2004 - World of Warcraft (MMO)
2017 - Resident Evil 7 (VR)

So I 100% agree, OP. RE7, above and beyond just being an amazing game, is a landmark title and one of the most significant gaming experiences I've ever had.

The Lamp

It's one of my worst gaming experiences personally. I took the VR headset back the next day. The graphics are nauseatingly low frame rate and pixelated, "skating" or teleporting around in a 3D environment is dizzying and disorienting, and the headset dims all the color and brightness of the game's true visuals. It's not as good as the Vive and the game doesn't move around well in 3D space. I never felt like I could move like a pro or with the freedom I wanted. But to each his own. I prefer flat visuals on my TV.

bobone

Its an amazing game. Easily my game of the year. It makes me sad to think not a single site will name it as GOTY because anything named Zelda automatically gets it.

Really excited for the DLC coming out, and I'm going to replay 7 yearly instead of REmake that I normally run through around Halloween.

bobone

It's one of my worst gaming experiences personally. I took the VR headset back the next day. The graphics are nauseatingly low frame rate and pixelated, "skating" or teleporting around in a 3D environment is dizzying and disorienting, and the headset dims all the color and brightness of the game's true visuals. It's not as good as the Vive and the game doesn't move around well in 3D space. I never felt like I could move like a pro or with the freedom I wanted. But to each his own. I prefer flat visuals on my TV.

Even on a TV/monitor its still an amazing experience. After the VR version I played it on my PC with a GTX1080 at 1440p, and its beautiful and still extremely atmospheric.

Koozek

I've yet to experience VR, and maaan, do I wish I could wipe my memory of RE7, which I absolutly loved, and play it on VR someday (maybe even on the next generation of VR headsets). Who knows, maybe RE8 will have a VR mode again.

Branson

Nothing yet unfortunately. I think the 1 year exclusive agreement with Sony ends in January though. Imagine this game on a 1080Ti with a Vive or Oculus? *Drool*
I’m counting on it. Haven’t played the game yet a big RE fan. Want the best version obviously

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nothing yet unfortunately. I think the 1 year exclusive agreement with Sony ends in January though. Imagine this game on a 1080Ti with a Vive or Oculus? *Drool*
Hell yes. Can't freaking wait to replay this in roomscaleVR with much better graphic fidelity as well.

Its an amazing game. Easily my game of the year. It makes me sad to think not a single site will name it as GOTY because anything named Zelda automatically gets it.

Really excited for the DLC coming out, and I'm going to replay 7 yearly instead of REmake that I normally run through around Halloween.
To be fair Zelda this year is easily one of the GOAT and that's not just because of its name.

Kumorin

Between the head-tracking, the sense of immersion, and the peerless presentation. RE7 showed me the future of horror gaming in a way nothing else has. I love and will support stuff like Evil Within 2, but VR really turned down the volume on everything else. I hear people grouse about the molded as being a poor enemy for the game but in VR, they are terrifying, squirming beasts and they come right up on you. I almost gave myself whiplash (due to head tracking) trying to get out of the basement. XD

I played about two hours on PC and stopped because I'm waiting on PC VR support before jumping back in. I've tried playing it using VorpX and it kinda works for the most part but I'll just keep waiting for proper VR support.

Top Bottom