• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VR is possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had to date

black070

I played about two hours on PC and stopped because I'm waiting on PC VR support before jumping back in. I've tried playing it using VorpX and it kinda works for the most part but I'll just keep waiting for proper VR support.

I'd honestly recommened anyone who has yet to play it to hold off until they can experience it in VR.

cakely

I'm really glad you liked it! The game has its flaws (the jarring transition from gameplay to "cutscene" could have been handled much better) but it was a terrific, unique experience.

ffvorax

I'm really glad you liked it! The game has its flaws (the jarring transition from gameplay to "cutscene" could have been handled much better) but it was a terrific, unique experience.

In VR is really terrible, terrible! I have to agree on this point.

Gitaroo

texture steaming in and out kills whatever they got going, that should be the number 1 thing they need to address but nope. Tried the game last week before I trade it in and still not fix and I am even using a pro+SSD.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was never really keen on VR in all honesty, when it started taking off I kind of just hoped it wouldn't take resources away from conventional gaming..

That all changed once I got to try out Resident Evil 7 on PSVR. The artstyle, visuals, sound design, pacing, pretty much everything blends so masterfully when playing in VR that you actually get fully absorbed into the game. It's ridiculously immersive and even with people sitting around with me, I couldn't help but feel caught up in what transpires in the game. I can't stop gushing about it to all my friends, and I'm really keen on introducing them to it because it simply is an experience worth having.

I wasn't too keen on VR when it first started taking off, but after playing Resident Evil 7, I'm fully convinced that this is the definitive way to experiencing games.

I loved it too, but it's ONE of the ways to play games. Think of it as more as an addition and not a replacement.

I agree with this COMPLETELY.

I still consider this moment to be one of the most impactful experiences in gaming I've ever had:

It's the scene in the beginning when Jack is chasing you around the first house right after the dinner scene. I was terrified in VR and I ran to the garage entrance. I spent 45 minutes there, occasionally creeping around the corner or entering the hall briefly, but always went back to this safe spot.

Seriously - amazing.

KalBalboa

Banned
RE7 is to VR as Super Mario 64 was to 3D gaming.

I want to replay it again in a year or so once I've forgotten enough of it. It's my GOTY for 2017, still.

I actually got to demo RE7 on the PlayStation VR awhile back and I completely agree with the OP.

I was going to grab a VR when they first came out but decided it wasn't worth the price of admission, everything out just seemed like a tech demo. I was actually more impressed with the stuff I played on the Oculus Rift on Xbox One. I have alot more content for my PS4 though so I wanted to wait for something epic.

Although I only got to demo RE7 for a short time, it was every bit as epic and immersive as the OP describes. Even just the bugs flying around you before you entered the Baker house, was enough to make me wanna swat them away with my hands. I was also in a room full of people when playing but they were all lost to the experience I was having within the VR experience of this game.

I'm still not saying I'm going to run out and buy a VR right now, when I do though that is the experience I'll be going back too.

TheRed

Welp still waiting to replay it when I'm allowed to use my Vive on it. Should be able to push higher graphics than PSVR so looking forward to it.

ChazGW7

Ive completed RE7 (non vr) and own a Rift. I can only imagine the intensity of the game translating into VR very well, so im waiting for the PC VR version to come out after January. Can't wait to go through it again in VR.

Bridges

Has there been any word at all on this coming to the PC version or is this a permanent PSVR exclusive? No way I'm buying a second headset but I really want to experience this.

black070

Has there been any word at all on this coming to the PC version or is this a permanent PSVR exclusive? No way I'm buying a second headset but I really want to experience this.

t3_55hw86

Orbis

I no longer own a PSVR, or any VR solution, but my time with the RE7 demo was quite simply mindblowing. Probably the most memorable VR experience I've had. Once VR is more refined I will jump straight back in because it was the most unique way to experience a game.

Nezacant

It was a 1 year PSVR exclusive that ends in January. There has been no official word on any PCVR version yet.

Still play Nightmare dlc in VR from time to time. Even though I get so easily scared by Jack and the molded, I love the adrenaline rush. I actually never played the story in VR, though.

Watching family and friends play this is such a treat because of all the funny reactions that occur. In my first blind attempt at Nightmare, I literally curled up into a ball when the molded swiped at me inside the room you first spawn in. Stayed in that position for half a minute until my little brother whispered into my ear "you're such a bitch..."

KageMaru

This is the only game I care to have on PSVR so far. My biggest disappointment is more games didn't support VR nearly as well.

Eylos

Banned
I envy you guys, im a little scared chicken when playing true horror games, i think its Impossible for me to play re7 vr.

I only imagine If there's silent hill 2/3 vr,
I wouldnt sleep for months

Tain

It was really fucking good.

Even if it remains a gamepad-only game, I would wholly recommend it to PC VR players.

I hope that it at least adds decoupled motion aiming, though.

Unison

I agree... as much as Breath of the Wild is a major achievement, RE7 on PSVR was a next-level thing...

For me no other VR game has held my interest remotely, so it's not just the technology. Virtually all of RE7 was incredibly immersive and scary. I would creep around every corner, terrified. If you haven't played it in VR, you haven't played it.

Only the last 20% of the game, which was essentially a shooting gallery, fell flat for me.

black070

I envy you guys, im a little scared chicken when playing true horror games, i think its Impossible for me to play re7 vr.

I'm probably the biggest wuss there is, believe me it's worth experiencing all the same. I went from this:

I lasted 10 minutes in Resident Evil 7 before bailing.. and the worst part is, nothing even happened ! I had to enter a dark room and I just noped out, it feels too damn real. I really want to keep playing since its probably one of the best VR experiences available to date, but I just can't. :(

To making this thread after binging the game to completion over a few sessions in the span of a day !

I tried RE7 in VR for a couple minutes and just couldn't do it, it was incredible. But now that I beat it I'm going to go back and replay it in VR

Bridges

It was a 1 year PSVR exclusive that ends in January. There has been no official word on any PCVR version yet.

Huh, somehow missed that. I can wait til January, assuming they're secretly working on PCVR support that'll drop when the deal is up.

Alucardx23

So far Resident Evil 7 is the best showcase game that I have tried for PSVR and one of the best VR games in general. It really shows how there can a transition from tradicional games to immersive VR games. For those that complain that VR games have to keep you up and moving, try RE7. I'm counting the seconds until it is released for Oculus/Vive as well.

Unison

Is there any PSVR game that people would suggest is even a ballpark experience to RE7 in terms of quality?

Stuff like Farpoint has left me pretty cold in comparison.

You know those games wouldn't fit well in VR

Let's get Silent Hill The Arcade as the most reasonable choice

LuckyDingo

Neo Member
I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt this way. I was sort of ambivalent about VR as well, but my friend brought RE7 and his VR kit to my place and I got hooked! Seriously give it a try if you have the means to do so. The only problem I had with it was that I felt like a giant. Everyone in the game looked small, it was really weird to me. My friend said he didn't feel that way, but he's 6 feet tall, so I don't know if it's just normal to him or what.

Also, take a break every 30 minutes, no joke. I had to stop playing after an hour or two and lie down because I was getting so nauseous. Though, I'm not sure if that's so much RE7's problem or the VR headset.

Lucent

Yep. Lots of amazing games this year, but nothing compares to RE7 in VR. I was hooked and immersed from beginning to end. Luckily I had a friend who could lend me his PSVR. As much as I love RE7, I can't justify the cost for the one game. Feels like the support for the PSVR just isn't there. I really want more horror games in VR though.

Dreez

When I traded in all my games couples weeks ago towards the PS4 Pro this was the only one I kept... can't wait for the DLC.

I agree. I would say it's one of the best, for sure. VR completely changes the game and puts you in the middle of it. I stood in front of doors for minutes, dreading opening them, where I would have fearlessly speed ran the entire game had I played it on a TV.

Probably my 2017 GOTY as well and VR is responsible for at least half of that.

black070

I think I'm going to need a break from gaming before I try playing on the TV again - the desire to go back to other games couldn't be any lower at the moment.

darscot

Its an amazing experience I will say that. I will also say I hated playing it and never finished it. It wasn't so much that I noped out. Just that it is not enjoyable. It is way too much just being in the middle of a fucking horrible experience. I have no desire to wind down after work by throwing myself into the middle of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Playing it for an hour and you heart is pounding, sweating, creeped the fuck out, there was just nothing fun about it.

border

I played up until the spider boss thing in VR. I thought the controls were not very well-suited for combat and that the image quality was downright terrible. Tons of jaggies and aliasing.

If I ever go back to the game I'm not sure if I would want to play it in VR, or just buy the PC port for cheap and enjoy the immensely upgraded graphics.

RE7 was my first Resident Evil game, played it without VR and loved it, the only VR I tried was some Gear VR demo and I thought it was amazing.

I can't wait to try Resi7 when PS VR price gets a cut, 400$ is way too much right now.

black070

Its an amazing experience I will say that. I will also say I hated playing it and never finished it. It wasn't so much that I noped out. Just that it is not enjoyable. It is way too much just being in the middle of a fucking horrible experience. I have no desire to wind down after work by throwing myself into the middle of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Playing it for an hour and you heart is pounding, sweating, creeped the fuck out, there was just nothing fun about it.

Haha, I like that description.

FSLink

Banned
The quality wasn’t there when I tried VR on a the base PS4. Heard it’s better on Pro. But at this point I’d rather just wait for the PC access to hit.
I personally already own a Vive so yeah image quality is important to me for VR. Been wanting to pick up a PSVR and RE7 but since the VR support is coming to PC eventually I might as well wait... especially since Sony's track record on peripheral support isn't the greatest.

YaGaMi

It's a great game but the thought of feeling sick again has stopped me from returning to it and completing it. I wish I can get over the motion sickness.

t hicks

Banned
Man I wish I could play in VR, but when I had PSVR the tracking on mine was so bad I had to return it. Did the setup right and the room was calibrated idk, RE7 was the main reason I bought it too so I was very bummed out :(
That being said, RE7 is still an incredible game, probably my GOTY, and I was still able to be immersed with the first person somewhat... maybe I'll see if I can find a cheap PSVR and try to fix the setup because I reallly wanna play in VR, it would be so cool

So I've played a handful of VR games that were pretty cool but Resident Evil 7 VR is the first genuine - OMG I can't believe I'm experiencing this gaming moment I've had as an adult. The last time I felt that way was SM64 and MGS2 after that.

The detail is so astounding and enveloping that I probably spend a good 3-4 minutes in each new room in this game just looking at everything. Things on shelves. Under couches. Oh whats behind this desk. Being VR 100% changes the game and how I think about it. I am in this world. It also makes me more terrified and unnerved than I have ever felt with a game before. I am so scared of this family. When I hear the dad walking behind me I get a true level of anxiety.

Everyone needs to experience this. Its just truly incredible.

Hahaha. This is spot on and also why I loved it. Turned my brain completely off

Yeah I found RE7 in VR to be an amazing experience. As cliche as it sounds, it put me inside the game which really changes your perception and gaming experience. Even the graphics downgrade becomes negligible when the immersion is so strong. There's really no going back to the non-VR version of 7 after that =P

I agree. Resident Evil 7 on PSVR is crazy amazing but too intense at the same time. It really puts you in the heart of a horror situation. Personally, i can't play more than an hour because of exactly that, too intense and scary.
This would be my concern. I played the Kitchen Demo a few years back at PSX and, though it was exhilarating, it was extremely stressful. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was a similar experience for me, too. I did enjoy Rush of Blood, a lot, but I don’t think being stressed out is the experience I want with my gaming.

A fantastic game on its own, and with VR it's flat-out the most thrilling thing I've played in ages. I thought by now we'd see more games incorporate VR as seamlessly as Capcom did here, but so far it's an outlier in a space where there's still a hard divide between VR and non-VR games, and added VR modes often seem more experimental than integral.

Top Bottom