• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VR is possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had to date

ChouGoku

Hopefully they patch in PC support when the Sony contract expires, I'd love to replay it in higher resolution with proper scale and reduced pupil swim. With your real IPD entered in PSVR, everything looks slightly miniturized (might be intentional to reduce motion sickness, or Sony/Capcom botched the code that handles the proportion/size scaling relative to IPD). The distortion and warping as you look off center of the PSVR lenses is also light years behind Rift/Vive.
It looked fine to me, if anything everything was slightly to large. But that was before I fixed my IPD, after that it was perfect

Still haven't played it, waiting for the PC to have it added. If they don't get around to it I guess I won't get around to buying it.

Wollan

Just an update on the PSVR user numbers. The RE.net website keeps track of all users who manually opted-in to register online and their statistics:

_23t3KQ6fP_1zAHwRwJaQ-vnf1notTgWGE8ycunS87v6q3A-ZWntWa7CjE73hM-RhHeD91NTSYeMeWnKU4zAfT2i1DgTEhQf1Ay6XLWbiTBem1sgQgOh-4pFW_T79HVdAlr9vInBi5iaYeKXEQTrCGIWdDcOMDAMQWuWapBLGTzGDz4AGbi4uGX0H3pJ4zykie4d0Q5rs_mnRR7Home46kQfd4GV1EyNapomKojWFAc70uOeC1k7dxKh-RJ4V8BrEu2GGSZNeAV6wEgITrdsSFGzavICS9_jltSCnnvFAQ__v3J3NxD80swOuOH9Vj8BkSHWwvYj8GZuwEUbagJno3zXOHCXnGB0H9MRqOQm3db9DwAzhmrh-5Yf4EP3PDFpsyAI6YG7RYOAqru41Wa9GThM2uxo5zUFMNAMY9wLLXraeZ3i30CV5qKBzO557BdeTsXHE-PFXl6cnOEQ08c6kRQ1ZyEF0iiubOSQXztOaOcyJgSnvHXtrgj-TC8CXPtE8WJOiVeboSMOuuOK6jlurc8b_A0WDehS-pam9V4JWW_3uw7R7d84tOROU5L1NEDeSdD8Cmu2y20fVTtchHhvxdbnVT00E-9ZLqikuY46j0gcraTWQLyImfPyeU351o5NEdlzgDRViaRklG3Ef1vIIS-rfeKqUNrMafcb=w1020-h433-no

With there now being 4 million+ RE7 copies shipped on October 17th, x 0.1139 ( 11.39 is percentage of PSVR users historically ) = 455 600 PSVR players.
Depends a bit on sell-through but should be north of 400k RE7 PSVR players out there.
They're aiming to ship in total 6 million copies by March 2018.

Bramble

Finished this in VR a few weeks ago. It was an awesome experience. Played while seated with free aiming/walking. Soon I'm gonna hit the DLC.

Plasma

Banned
Hopefully they patch in PC support when the Sony contract expires, I'd love to replay it in higher resolution with proper scale and reduced pupil swim. With your real IPD entered in PSVR, everything looks slightly miniturized (might be intentional to reduce motion sickness, or Sony/Capcom botched the code that handles the proportion/size scaling relative to IPD). The distortion and warping as you look off center of the PSVR lenses is also light years behind Rift/Vive.
I hope they patch in motion controls though I never really feel fully immersed in VR without them.

ChouGoku

Read the thread and love the impressions. I felt the exact same way as many posters in this thread. RE7 VR is possibly the greatest gaming experience I have ever had in my life, by itself its a good game but with VR its like a generation leap or 2 ahead. I didn't find the first 35-40 mins to be that scary, entertaining but not that scary. But when it got into the actual game and Jack is chasing you around I had to play in short bursts because my anxiety was going crazy. The atmosphere is incredible, you really feel like you are in a house with crazy stalkers. This game set a very high bar for VR, its sad because no PSVR game I have played has even come close to the level that RE7 has for me. My only mistake was not playing this on a Pro first as it really enhances the visuals.

Fingers crossed this comes out on PC. I picked up a rift in the summer sale and I have to say it has completely reinvigorated my love for gaming. Robo Recall has given me that "holy shit I can't believe this is happening" moment but despite the fantastic gameplay it doesn't have the content or the story of a AAA game like Resident Evil.
I am now playing through Lone Echo which I am thoroughly enjoying. It is hard to explain why but it has felt more realistic than any game I have ever played before.

If I am being honest horror in VR has absolutely terrified me. I need to grow some bigger balls for this game in particular. I am going to try and work my way up to this via some less scary games and zombie shooters that I picked up in a VR horror sale last week.

Newk86

Does anybody else get flashbacks to this game whenever they smell rubber now? Like as in from the PSVR device? To me that's what the house smelled like.

RE was my first VR game, I beat it in around a month. I played standing, mostly at night, with in-ear headphones. I think it's the music that really gets you, I had to legit take intensity breaks during this game which is a first for me. Never during any action mind you, but just after a section or whatever I just had to go for a walk for ten minutes or so and take some deep breaths.

It really is next level. I don't want to spoil anything but there were certain parts late game where I had to actually psych myself up in order to move forward by yelling at the TV. Full on stuff like "yeah, what? yeah what bitch? I know you're there, what are you going to do? I don't give a shit!" stuff like that. It was ridiculous.

When trying to explain the experience to people who haven't played VR or who aren't gamers, I usually just say the following: "There are things that have happened to me that haven't happened to you". And that's how it really feels, like I have actually experienced things playing this game.
Like being stabbed by somebody holy shit! Somebody actually came at me with a knife who had their own height and depth in 3D space relative to mine and man it really feels like it happened. I had to defend myself, it was borderline traumatising. Oh and that boss that climbs the walls!? Nothing realistic but it was like being in an old chinese horror movie. God damn what a ride.

Edit: Oh and I recommend playing with no crosshair! The aiming system actually reminded me of PS1 Resident Evils in the end, where it was just as much about timing your shots as it was about getting the angle right. Funny how it kind of came full circle in that way.

RangerX

Banned
I'm going to pick up the gold edition and would absolutely love to play this in vr. Its been so long since I played a really scary horror game. I want to be terrified.

super

Neo Member
My GOTY2017 and the most impressive gaming experience in years .
it was a truly new experience I felt like I walked in the house. it felt new.

mcfizzle4

I will eventually pick it up, probably around Christmas. I loved the demo in VR but it freaked me out. I'm not sure if I can handle the entire game in VR!

Newk86

There's not a single game, outside simulation I could experience that would lead me to believe that room scale doesn't just improve things immensely.

I've only ever had PSVR and it doesn't even cross my mind to play a game sitting down unless it's got a cockpit view etc. Just intuitively, I need to be 1:1 with whatever my character is doing if I can.

I will eventually pick it up, probably around Christmas. I loved the demo in VR but it freaked me out. I'm not sure if I can handle the entire game in VR!

Do it! You owe it to yourself!

There are moments in the game that are just not possible in 'flat' gaming.

Mid-game spoiler:
the section in the old house when you finally make it through the lantern door and your torch flickers and dies.
Being suddenly plunged into darkness in VR is a shock, and someone whispering in your ear was just too much!

raven777

I wish I could play... but its just too scary for me. I tried the Kitchen demo and freaked out lol... I dont think I can handle the whole RE7, let alone in VR..

Wollan

I wish I could play... but its just too scary for me. I tried the Kitchen demo and freaked out lol... I dont think I can handle the whole RE7, let alone in VR..
Kitchen demo is more intense than the full game RE7. There's plateaus that are close but you are in control, the full game is within what I would call comfortable limits.

MazeHaze

Banned
Man, I sure would love to play my PC copy of this on my Oculus Rift.

Have they even said anything about that happening? Being exclusive to PSVR really sucks.

Daggoth

It's up there for sure.

Playing in VR was pretty cool, but I will never forget the feeling after completing the first playthrough in VR, taking off the headset, looking up the trophies, then re-loading a save outside a certain room to get the "duck" trophy, then when the game loaded:

1) Wow the lighting's so much better outside of VR. (non-Pro PS4)

2) THIS DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT. I'm not playing the same game anymore, I'm just staring at a TV screen. It's a different game! I can't play this, this is all wrong!

That feeling wore off after about 15 minutes, but yeah, that was the thing that hammered it home: being in that world for hours, and then coming out and trying to compare it ... it just doesn't.

Then you have zero idea how game design works.

Obviously given the context I'm referring to VR, but...

Ok-then-look-away.gif

When it comes to VR, this is like saying that playing with a locked camera, or a single analog stick, if limited by the hardware, is the best possible experience.

Man, I sure would love to play my PC copy of this on my Oculus Rift.

Have they even said anything about that happening? Being exclusive to PSVR really sucks.

If they do, it'll likely be some kind of standalone or require a DLC or something. I really don't think we'll get it for free. (Just guessing, would like to eat crow).

I played it all in VR while share playing it so my friend could watch it back on his TV in a different part of the country.

When people moan about graphical power or Tflops or RAM, Take a moment and just realise that i was playing Resident Evil in virtual reality while someone else was watching me play it on his TV because of share play.

That is why consoles are made, To be new and inventive with innovation.

Try playing Resi 7 on a TV after completing it in VR, It's such a step back and it doesnt matter what graphical settingd you throw at it, Or TV resolution, It will not be as good or immersive as what VR offers.

VR is now letting you experience games rather than just playing them.

SomTervo

No really no. The game was designed to be played while sitting.

It's not really about design - the immersion factor when you can physically walk around a large space and can use both your hands to pick up and look at things, shoot enemies loosely, juggle objects, duck under things, etc is out of this world and it's a pity RE7 is missing that.

Immersion will still be huge as a seated experience, way higher than non-VR, but it won't approach the immersion madness of roomscale and hand-tracking.

Hopefully they chuck roomscale and hand tracking in with the PCVR builds.

It was one year exclusive so should be out in January technically.

To say I'm looking forward to it would be an understatement.

While you're waiting, you can check out the Vive and Rift-friendly VR horror game we literally just released today called Organ Quarter.
You can play the free Pre-Alpha Demo if you're not sure - be warned this doesn't have built-in Rift support but it should work with a wrapper. The full game should work natively with Vive and Rift.

Organ Quarter is a low-budget fare but we made sure to leverage hand-tracking and roomscale VR, which should hopefully make it novel over RE7 (which will probably be much higher, to say the least, on the polish and features factor).
Will give it a try. Thanks!

No worries - hope you enjoy it!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Wollan said:
Depends a bit on sell-through but should be north of 400k RE7 PSVR players out there.
That may even be conservative - there are(full-priced) PSVR only games that sold about half that, so given the RE7 total sales, I wouldn't be surprised more than 400k PSVR players tried it.

Aztechnology said:
Obviously given the context I'm referring to VR, but...
It's still wrong in any context. The best use of VR mechanically, that I've seen/experienced to date, is Statik, which employs neither room-scale nor any artificial locomotion. And I say this relative to a plethora of experiences across all headsets and platforms, some of which I've worked on myself.
It's also a game that fundamentally has nothing to gain from room-scale.

That may even be conservative - there are(full-priced) PSVR only games that sold about half that, so given the RE7 total sales, I wouldn't be surprised more than 400k PSVR players tried it.

It's still wrong in any context. The best use of VR mechanically, that I've seen/experienced to date, is Statik, which employs neither room-scale nor any artificial locomotion. And I say this relative to a plethora of experiences across all headsets and platforms, some of which I've worked on myself.
It's also a game that fundamentally has nothing to gain from room-scale.

Sounds to me like you enjoy puzzle games. No offense, but the point of VR to me is to put the player and their body into the virtual space. Sure these games are great. But I don't see how not being able to crouch, peak, move in relative space etc. Would be a bad thing for RE7.

I got this game last week and I've been slowly making my way through it. Really liking it overall. I'm not playing it in VR, but it's the first game I've played that actually makes me want to try VR.

What a boring gaming career you have, try Breath of the Wild and that will become a joke

I got this game and a Switch a couple of weeks ago, and it's alright. Granted I'm still pretty early on, but so far I've had more fun RE7.

zoukka

It's not really about design - the immersion factor when you can physically walk around a large space and can use both your hands to pick up and look at things, shoot enemies loosely, juggle objects, duck under things, etc is out of this world and it's a pity RE7 is missing that.

Immersion will still be huge as a seated experience, way higher than non-VR, but it won't approach the immersion madness of roomscale and hand-tracking.

No doubt. But some games dont' just work in room-scale, moving physically in the room vs moving with a controller both bring whole different kind of restrictions to what the tempo and gameplay the game has to adapt to.

Room scale is great for certain types of games and RE7 isn't one of those games.

KalBalboa

Banned
Resident Evil 7 in PSVR was some Mario 64 level "wow" for me.

I'm waiting a year to replay it. Hoping I can forget as much as possible to keep it fresh. Finally playing some DLC next week.

SomTervo

No doubt. But some games dont' just work in room-scale, moving physically in the room vs moving with a controller both bring whole different kind of restrictions to what the tempo and gameplay the game has to adapt to.

Room scale is great for certain types of games and RE7 isn't one of those games.

Of course - although it's not that "some games don't work roomscale", it's simply that they're not designed for it.

RE7 needed to A) be a non-VR game first and foremost, and B) work for PSVR (which can't be room scale (yet) and is more expensive for hand tracking). As such its design, from the ground-up, was for a seated experience.

Had RE7 been released later in the VR gen cycle, say in 2019 or 2020, it's entirely possible it might have been designed from the ground up as a roomscale VR game, and the immersion would have been even higher.

But of course roomscale is not a be-all-end-all and it's important to have seated/non-roomscale experiences too. I'm just saying in a parallel universe where RE7 was built from the ground up as roomscale the immersion would objectively be higher.

kinggroin

Banned
Still haven't played it, waiting for the PC to have it added. If they don't get around to it I guess I won't get around to buying it.
Exactly this.

I owned it and a PSVR, sold both. RE7 is insanly good, and all I could think was "damn I need to experience this in it's best possible form"

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Aztechnology said:
But I don't see how not being able to crouch, peak, move in relative space etc. Would be a bad thing for RE7.
Oh for RE7 sure - I mean hand-tracking aside you already have those options in current iteration. I was just arguing that it isn't necessarily a benefit in 'every' type of VR game.

Sounds to me like you enjoy puzzle games.
Well - obviously I wasn't suggesting everyone would like the core-game, genre preferences are just as much a thing in VR as ever. But what VR does for the genre in Statik, is the kind of generational leap people have been talking about for the medium in general, and then some.

Neff

Couldn't justify it.

Even though RE is my favourite gaming franchise, it's still the only real reason to jump into VR, and since I'm blind in one eye, meaning 3D is of little (ie no) importance to me, I'd basically be paying £350 for a visually downgraded version of the game with jerky head tracking. Immersive, maybe, but it looks better on my TV. So no, not worth it.

Just like the original.

smh

I’m hoping for more games too push the envelope in terms of VR like RE7 did.

I know it’s not really anything special but starting to have full single player games taking use of this would be great (FPS games)

I don't really see how this is true at all. PSVR, maybe. Not VR as a whole.

There are a lot of experiences which also shouldn't be hampered by only seeing one VR screen.

Yea, certainly. VR, especially on PC is getting to the point both price wise and title wise where it's a pretty great time to jump in. We are still a little ways off AAA becoming a regular facet, but we're genuinely seeing some interesting indie titles now.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Neff said:
I'd basically be paying £350 for a visually downgraded version of the game with jerky head tracking
I've spent years with these headsets (Vive, Oculus and PSVR) and I wouldn't call "headtracking" on any of them jerky. Controllers yes, especially on Move (but on the others as well more frequently than I'd like), but head-tracking is generally stable.

That aside - even without stereo-vision, VR works much different from 2d panels - head-tracking element is what plays a bigger part in establishing presence for me than Stereo-depth (have done a fair share of experiments with stereo-technique manipulation). Granted the visual downgrades are still a thing regardless.

Personally I think RE shouldn't need any of the rendering downgrades it has in VR mode, but that's another story all-together.

Top Bottom