• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VR is possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had to date

bumpkin

Thinking of getting this as it’s on sale. Is the DLC worth it?
I snagged them because they were discounted pretty well (30% off) and I don't regret the purchase. Mind you, nothing in the package is super long or super replayable - outside of "Nightmare" - but I've gotten less and paid more before, so I don't feel ripped off. RE7 was *the* example of how AAA should handle VR, so any reason I get to go back and play something new in that world/style is welcome.

Probably the best VR game to date, mainly because they made a game first not a VR experience.
But as a Resident Evil it's.....well....it's not, it's definitely a Capcom game and I think thats what people think is Resident Evil, but they could have named it something else and nobody would have known
even as a game on a normal TV I'd say wait for a sale.
But if you have VR definitely get it.

Really? Maybe its cause I grew up on 1 and 2 but this feels more like Resident Evil than the series has felt in a long long time.

Reallink

Hopefully they patch in PC support when the Sony contract expires, I'd love to replay it in higher resolution with proper scale and reduced pupil swim. With your real IPD entered in PSVR, everything looks slightly miniturized (might be intentional to reduce motion sickness, or Sony/Capcom botched the code that handles the proportion/size scaling relative to IPD). The distortion and warping as you look off center of the PSVR lenses is also light years behind Rift/Vive.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
So many VR games on PSVR (I don't have vibe or oculus) are like bite sized tech demos. RE7 is one of the only truly robust narrative and gameplay experiences I know of in the VR realm. It's simply an awesome game that happens to have a really sound VR application.

It's really stressful and takes a lot out of you though. Heart palpitates. Actually getting the depth and feeling like your in the space of the bakers mansion. Definitely would take a stone cold badass to marathon that game in VR.

elohel

The quality wasn’t there when I tried VR on a the base PS4. Heard it’s better on Pro. But at this point I’d rather just wait for the PC access to hit.

I felt like it’s arguably the best experience I’ve had on PlayStation VR and I’m on a base too.

Scales well too when you lean into stuff

valeu

No other game I've played has the intensity level of RE7 in VR. I almost had panic attacks I was so scared. You really feel like you are in that horrible Baker house and all the locations. And when the characters get up in your face it seems like they are really there - you can almost smell them. I screamed out loud at least 6 times, there were many moments where I noped out. The fact that you can physically peek around corners and duck behind things took the hide-and-seek / hunter vs hunted gameplay to the next level. If you have an opportunity to play it in VR and are new to VR and happen to get motion sickness, just stop when you get dizzy and play a little the next day, and after two or three days the motion sickness will go away and never be an issue again. We call that "getting your VR legs". It's totally worth going through to get to play this phenomenal game and experience in VR

To date, My best gaming experience bar none, Took me back to the ps1 era for gaming immersion. It just worked and makes you feel inside that game world rather than playing a game on the TV.

Truly hoping R8 sticks with the VR formula as it truly is a step back playing on a TV no matter what resolution you play it at.

Just waiting for it to comes to Oculus and I will be giving it a go!

For those saying it is a great VR experience, have you tried Space Pirate Trainer, Robo-Recall or Super Hot? Just wondering how it stacks up?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Reallink said:
or Sony/Capcom botched the code that handles the proportion/size scaling relative to IPD).
IPD "is" what determines the size/scaling in stereo-3d, there's nothing relative to it. If it looks off, the renderer is most likely doing wrong things with IPD values - or their art is in incorrect proportions to begin with.

Though it's worth noting that I found scale "feeling" wrong when I play VR seated and character in the game is standing (happens with any headset/game for me).

The distortion and warping as you look off center of the PSVR lenses is also light years behind Rift/Vive.
If you're talking about periphery distortions in RE specifically - that's not hardware. Their implementation of lens-matched rendering is pretty terrible, especially on base PS4.

shaneo632

I played it in VR on launch with two friends. We swapped the headset every time we died or lasted 30 minutes.

I'm glad I played it this way because there's just no chance I could've played the full game in VR on my own. Way too stressful. We played most of the game over one afternoon and I legit felt like I had PTSD by the end, I was just totally mentally frazzled.

An incredible experience though.

Just waiting for it to comes to Oculus and I will be giving it a go!

For those saying it is a great VR experience, have you tried Space Pirate Trainer, Robo-Recall or Super Hot? Just wondering how it stacks up?

I always think its rude when people are dismissive but truly lol on all 3 of those comparatively. Its not even remotely close.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? Maybe its cause I grew up on 1 and 2 but this feels more like Resident Evil than the series has felt in a long long time.
Me too played the original when I was 15.
But it felt just like a Capcom game to me which isn't a bad thing, it a good thing.
but the only reminiscent thing of RE was to the newer games, Boss battles was very post RE3 and Jack was another chainshaw guy that you couldn't really kill until the story choose to let you.
It had a house and doors to unlock but it was a very watered-down lite version of how RE was and I guess thats what people cling to for comparison, hell just play REmake HD and it's obvious
Resident Evil has lot more depth in both it's design and atmosphere.
Speaking of which, RE knew when to be silent and when to play haunting atmospheric music, it something Silent Hill does and even The Evil Within
Other than the save room, outside the SFX it's pretty much dead atmosphere wise, RE used Music to set the tone of the area, hell people remember the rooms from RE by music alone.
And Characters, I remember Jack and Zoe, I could name every Character in RE.
And I'm still not sure what it's connection to Resident Evil is other than Chris popping and the light sprinkling of Umbrella evidence.
Don't get me wrong it still a good game......mainly in VR, but I'm still pining for a Resident Evil game because RE7 wasn't it, it was just a good VR experience and thats because I wasn't being VR babysitted in it.
I guess it best we're gonna get until RE2Remake is made.

Nategc20

Banned
I'd say there were only 10 games in the history of the industry that were proof-of-concepts for an entirely new way of playing games. They weren't necessarily the first games to do these things, but they were the first ones to take these new mechanics and translate them into full-fledged, excellent games:

1972 - Pong (games in general)
1977 - Zork (adventure games)
1980 - Pac-Man (arcade games)
1985 - Super Mario Bros. (console games)
1989 - Tetris (handheld games)
1992 - Ultima Underworld (1st-person)
1993 - DOOM (multiplayer)
1996 - Super Mario 64 (3D 3rd-person)
2004 - World of Warcraft (MMO)
2017 - Resident Evil 7 (VR)

So I 100% agree, OP. RE7, above and beyond just being an amazing game, is a landmark title and one of the most significant gaming experiences I've ever had.
GoldenEye 007 legitimized both multiplayer and license gaming. I think that deserves a spot.

I'd say there were only 10 games in the history of the industry that were proof-of-concepts for an entirely new way of playing games. They weren't necessarily the first games to do these things, but they were the first ones to take these new mechanics and translate them into full-fledged, excellent games:

So I 100% agree, OP. RE7, above and beyond just being an amazing game, is a landmark title and one of the most significant gaming experiences I've ever had.

Great list I would also add Warcraft (RTS) and Goldeneye (Console FPS)

Me too played the original when I was 15.
But it felt just like a Capcom game to me which isn't a bad thing, it a good thing.
but the only reminiscent thing of RE was to the newer games, Boss battles was very post RE3 and Jack was another chainshaw guy that you couldn't really kill until the story choose to let you.
It had a house and doors to unlock but it was a very watered-down lite version of how RE was and I guess thats what people cling to for comparison, hell just play REmake HD and it's obvious
Resident Evil has lot more depth in both it's design and atmosphere.
Speaking of which, RE knew when to be silent and when to play haunting atmospheric music, it something Silent Hill does and even The Evil Within
Other than the save room, outside the SFX it's pretty much dead atmosphere wise, RE used Music to set the tone of the area, hell people remember the rooms from RE by music alone.
And Characters, I remember Jack and Zoe, I could name every Character in RE.
And I'm still not sure what it's connection to Resident Evil is other than Chris popping and the light sprinkling of Umbrella evidence.
Don't get me wrong it still a good game......mainly in VR, but I'm still pining for a Resident Evil game because RE7 wasn't it, it was just a good VR experience and thats because I wasn't being VR babysitted in it.
I guess it best we're gonna get until RE2Remake is made.

I get what you're saying now. I still felt that the atmosphere just dripped old school resident evil. Especially when your in a silent room and just hear the clock swinging back and forth. Brought back so many memories

Yeah, I've played it beginning to end in VR and really loved. First game I finished in VR and I can't wait for more experiences like that.

Same here.

1. RE7
2. Superhot VR
3. Lucky’ Tale (Oculus - I guess I’m one of the few that loved the world, the sense of immersion, the nice touches of the side scrolling diorama levels and the great graphics)

gt86

Same here.

1. RE7
2. Superhot VR
3. Lucky’ Tale (Oculus - I guess I’m one of the few that loved the world, the sense of immersion, the nice touches of the side scrolling diorama levels and the great graphics)

Yea Lucky's tale is awesome. I liked robo recall more than super hot but love both. Also rez

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I'm a HUGE scaredy-cat when it comes to first-person horror and combined with me getting a bit woozy playing the demo in VR, I skipped RE7 almost completely until a month ago when out of boredom and having a free rental at Redbox, I decided to give it a go. Man alive was I hooked. I still got a little sick, but it passed in time and by the end of the game I was fine. Outside of some awkward boss fights, everything about that experience was top notch. In fact, most VR I've played since has paled in comparison. I think what surprised me most about my play-through was how not-scary it was. Foreboding, tense and exciting, but I was rarely terrified like I'd assumed I would be.

All in all, It made me want a VR game that was just a huge mansion full of puzzles and mysteries for me to explore: keys to find, doors to open, weapons to upgrade and unlock. Gone Home but with guns, and boxes to break with my knife. Someone please make that game.

Speaking of weapons, shooting in this game with head tracking was so, so good. Always felt satisfying to land that precious headshot.

Didn't expect RE7 to be one of my top games of 2017, but it's up there with BOTW and Horizon: ZD, and all thanks to an impulse purchase I made after I got my tax return.

Wollan

On paper RE7 doesn't sound like the best VR experience: Originally a 2D monitor game? Seated experience w/free movement? No 3D hand-input? We've played several such VR games before and... and we've seen the light technologically with a few room-scale Vive titles...

But hands-on this experience is sublime. Great gameplay. The smooth head aiming, the traditional RE mansion crawl w/inventory management and short bursts of ultra violence fits like a glove to the particulars of the medium. The dread and atmosphere in this game is just perfect. They found the level which would make normal players nope-out and took one half-step back from that. Very little jump scares overall thankfully.

For 2 thirds of the campaign in VR it was the very best game of this year & generation. It's one of those experiences that makes you wish that "all games should be like this". Last time I felt that was likely Demon's Souls.

SomTervo

Will this ever come to PC?

It was one year exclusive so should be out in January technically.

To say I'm looking forward to it would be an understatement.

While you're waiting, you can check out the Vive and Rift-friendly VR horror game we literally just released today called Organ Quarter.

You can play the free Pre-Alpha Demo if you're not sure - be warned this doesn't have built-in Rift support but it should work with a wrapper. The full game should work natively with Vive and Rift.

Organ Quarter is a low-budget fare but we made sure to leverage hand-tracking and roomscale VR, which should hopefully make it novel over RE7 (which will probably be much higher, to say the least, on the polish and features factor).

jryeje29

Damn I don’t have a psvr so I couldn’t try this but reading through some of this thread really makes me excited for the possibility of a PC VR port. I played through it on pc and it was awesome I can’t imagine VR.

FiveSide

Banned

While you're waiting, you can check out the Vive and Rift-friendly VR horror game we literally just released today called Organ Quarter.

You can play the free Pre-Alpha Demo if you're not sure - be warned this doesn't have built-in Rift support but it should work with a wrapper. The full game should work natively with Vive and Rift.

Organ Quarter is a low-budget fare but we made sure to leverage hand-tracking and roomscale VR, which should hopefully make it novel over RE7 (which will probably be much higher, to say the least, on the polish and features factor).

Nice I'll check this out. Is there an ETA for a full release date?

SomTervo

Nice I'll check this out. Is there an ETA for a full release date?

It's out now! Launched about 5 hours ago!

We'll be doing frequent hotfix updates and at least one substantial QoL update over the next few months, but the entire thing is technically complete right now. A good few levels, a complete 'story', a couple of weapons, puzzles, enemies, etc.

RedSnake

It really is an amazing experience.

It's not only a great game but it shows how VR games should be done.

I haven't really found any other VR game that's actually a game.

Raonak

Banned
pzOu7Gm.jpg

The problem with RE7 VR is that it's so immersive that I get too creeped out to finish it.

I love the game, but fuck.

Drain You

Being the first Resident Evil I haven't been interested in a long time, I'm kinda glad I'm holding off on this till I have a capable PC and VR set. The more I read about it the more I'm thinking it is gonna be an awesome game, gonna keep my expectations in check though.

FiveSide

Banned
It's out now! Launched about 5 hours ago!

We'll be doing frequent hotfix updates and at least one substantial QoL update over the next few months, but the entire thing is technically complete right now. A good few levels, a complete 'story', a couple of weapons, puzzles, enemies, etc.

Oh my bad I misunderstood your post, thought you were saying that the demo had just released.

Organ Quarter is a VR survival horror game focused on what made survival horror great: labyrinthine environments, resource management and well-balanced puzzling. An homage to the slow, methodical survival horror experiences of the '90s, explore the compelling nightmare world of the Organ Quarter and enjoy the most intimate horror experience yet.

Yea this sounds awesome.

Yep.
I dont get scared playing video games but this in VR is as close as its going to get.

RE7 in VR is the scariest thing I've encountered in a narrative medium. VR is the future for horror, it's on a different level.

I wish RE7 didn't plummet in quality after the first act, because that first and possibly second part are amazing. Feels like Condemned 3 after that then peters out.

RE7 in VR is the scariest thing I've encountered in a narrative medium. VR is the future for horror, it's on a different level.

It is really hard to explain to someone that hasn't experienced the game just how terrifying it is. The immersion is so complete that the normal part of you that is always chanting - "Its just a game" when your playing anything else is gone. I not only have screamed out loud and kicked and jumped reflexively but I have had long moments of sustained fear where my adrenaline actually kicked in.

hollomat

Banned
Game seems amazing but I’m way too much of a scaredy cat to play it. Tried the demo and it was too intense for me.

For horror fans though I can’t imagine it gets much better than this. I’m hoping a non horror game comes out that is similar in scale to RE 7.

FiveSide

Banned
It is really hard to explain to someone that hasn't experienced the game just how terrifying it is. The immersion is so complete that the normal part of you that is always chanting - "Its just a game" when your playing anything else is gone. I not only have screamed out loud and kicked and jumped reflexively but I have had long moments of sustained fear where my adrenaline actually kicked in.

That's the thing. The immersion is so complete that it transports you into a different state of mind. There isn't really a conception anymore of "playing a game," as you mentioned. In the moments where your blood is pumping and something happens, your brain is straight-up triggering fight or flight in a very real way.

There were several times where a sudden ambush happened, and I had a full-blown combat high for a few seconds where I was just unloading ammo and not even fully in control of myself. Pure fight or flight reflex, VR has arrived and it is insane.

Glassboy

On paper RE7 doesn't sound like the best VR experience: Originally a 2D monitor game? Seated experience w/free movement? No 3D hand-input? We've played several such VR games before and... and we've seen the light technologically with a few room-scale Vive titles...

But hands-on this experience is sublime. Great gameplay. The smooth head aiming, the traditional RE mansion crawl w/inventory management and short bursts of ultra violence fits like a glove to the particulars of the medium. The dread and atmosphere in this game is just perfect. They found the level which would make normal players nope out and took one half-step back from that. Very little jump scares overall thankfully.

For 2 thirds of the campaign in VR it was the very best game of this year & generation. It's one of those experiences that makes you wish that "all games should be like this". Last time I felt that was likely Demon's Souls.
It really was. Shame they couldn’t finish strong. The boat was so damn boring and the molded get really old to fight against. I want RE1 remixed in VR. Give me that enemy variety.

Is there any info about this coming to PC? I hate to port beg but God damn I need this and can't afford a PS HMD right now
Though I can't even finish Affected The Manor so maybe I shouldn't get it anyway lol
I get spooked by the crawling robots in Raw Data's dark levels, too

kungfuian

I agree with the OP 100%. Played a lot of really solid games this last year or so and RE7 in VR is a game changer. If you haven't played it yet you are in for a treat. It's like nothing your ever experienced, like being transported into some type of surreal lucid nightmare as much as it is like playing a game. I have a PSVR and Vive and tons of games for ref, and it's easily the best VR game I've played to date (by far).

If you stop and think about just how immersive RE7 is vs a regular game it's really represents a massive step forward for the medium. Just like Mario 64 did with 3D gaming, the magic of new hardware is made to serve and enhance what is in and of itself a solid well designed old school video game. It's the perfect mix of old and new just like Mario 64 was, and the flag bearer for a new type of game.

The next best examples of this type of full fledged traditional gaming experience are Dolphin VR with games like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime. If you have the privilege of having Vive I strongly recommend going through the hassle of getting them to work. Totally worth it. Both those games in particular are transformed by VR into something even more magical than the originals; actually being in the worlds instead of staring at them on a rectangle. Also hear Alien Isolation and a few other mods are great.

Will give it a try. Thanks!

erlim

yes, that talented of a member

I definitely agree with this list on the level of execution. I've never experienced anything like RE7---truly unsettling and intense. But I don't think RE7 has anywhere near the cultural impact of those other games. Sucks we went 13 years between influential games.

Top Bottom