• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VR is possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had to date

bumpkin

Yeah I found RE7 in VR to be an amazing experience. As cliche as it sounds, it put me inside the game which really changes your perception and gaming experience. Even the graphics downgrade becomes negligible when the immersion is so strong. There's really no going back to the non-VR version of 7 after that =P
Agreed 110%. I have yet to play the game without VR. The immersion of VR is what makes the game so damn compelling and invigorating (and terrifying) to play.

I recently bought the Banned Footage DLC during the PSVR Anniversary Sale, and after not having touched the game in months, I fired it up late one night and started playing one of the story episodes. I got to a part where I was suddenly left in the dark with just a lighter. I got about ten steps down the hallway, heard noises coming from somewhere and said to myself, "Nope, I can't do this right now." and stopped playing. lol.

I did go back and play it the next day - earlier in the evening - but I tell you, the terror is real. I just wish the game hadn't (spoilers for anyone who hasn't finished it)
devolved into a shooting gallery during the last third of the game. They did such an amazing job making the first two-thirds so fucking creepy and atmospheric.

It actually made me really want a VR Myst type game. You get so lost in the environment. Every little detail is so much more impactful in VR. It's hard to explain but your brain actually switches to addressing every situation from a more logical thought process than just a gaming one.

What I mean by that is I was searching this one room for a clue and I started crouching down and looking at the underside of tables and chairs because it just seems like a logical spot to hide something. I would never do that when playing the game normally. I would run into a room look for the obvious things that stand out and go from there but everything stands out when you're in VR.

A fantastic game on its own, and with VR it's flat-out the most thrilling thing I've played in ages. I thought by now we'd see more games incorporate VR as seamlessly as Capcom did here, but so far it's an outlier in a space where there's still a hard divide between VR and non-VR games, and added VR modes often seem more experimental than integral.

Yeah I don't get it either. Especially after playing this you would think it would a relatively easy priority.

Leatherface

I've been stubbornly holding out on even playing this game until I can play it with my Vive. Anyone know how much longer until the VR portion officially launches on PC?

Toe-Knee

Lol wut.
I’m talking image quality. It didn’t look good on the base PS4 through the headset.

This is my concern. I think id rather play it in hdr on the pro.

However I also feel like I'm missing something not playing it on vr so I'm kinda stuck and haven't bought it.

This is my concern. I think id rather play it in hdr on the pro.

However I also feel like I'm missing something not playing it on vr so I'm kinda stuck and haven't bought it.

Honestly when you first start the game its the daytime and it really doesn't look good at all and you notice the low IQ but the second you get into the house and it switches to a darker setting you just become so engrossed I never noticed it again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So how is it for people who get motion sickness. I really want to try it. Psvr has not made me as motion sick as I had originally thought. But was curious is it actually free movement or teleporting?

Near unplayable for me. I only played the demo, but after a few minutes I was queesy and sweaty and needed to stop. Not as bad as Driveclub VR, but once I started feeling a modicum of the issues it was a natural stopping point.

I will agree that the immersion is insane though. Frightening with a real sense of place. Can't argue that it is incredible, but I will never play through it in VR due to PSVR giving me issues(haven't had the same problem with the limited Vive sessions I have tried)

DJChuy

I bought PSVR two days ago, and Resident Evil 7 was the first game I played with it. Seriously way different with VR mode. The jump scares are more terrifying, and level of immersion is just amazing.

The only bad thing is not being able to play more than an hour without getting sick.

Afrocious

I'm still in the beginning of the game. I'm playing it with a VR headset. I need to continue.

It's quite an experience. However, controlling Ethan is kinda cumbersome - especially when you're being stalked.

Mark MacDonald sang its praises on the Bombcast earlier this year and since then I've told myself not to play it until I have the money for VR and a Pro.

Betty

Banned
Mark MacDonald sang its praises on the Bombcast earlier this year and since then I've told myself not to play it until I have the money for VR and a Pro.

Good choice.

I already played through the game on a regular tv, but playing it again in VR feels like a completely different experience. You notice so many details that go unnoticed before.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
The only reason I haven't picked it up on PC yet, is because I'm waiting for the VR exclusivity window to expire. I own a PSVR and a Vive, but given the choice I want the best experience possible.

spad3

If it wasn't for VR, RE7 is legit a SLOG. like it's not even remotely as interesting/intriguing as VR mode.

That being said, I wonder if VR for Skyrim will have the same impact...

Afrocious

Can someone here answer this kinda spoiler-ish question without spoiling too much for me? A simple yes-no will do:

Does RE7 explain why Ethan is basically a Mr. Potato Head? I got my foot chopped off by the dad and I was able to put it back on with first aid. Same goes with his hand earlier in the game.

black070

Can someone here answer this kinda spoiler-ish question without spoiling too much for me? A simple yes-no will do:

Does RE7 explain why Ethan is basically a Mr. Potato Head? I got my foot chopped off by the dad and I was able to put it back on with first aid. Same goes with his hand earlier in the game.

Nope.

Mathieran

Banned
I have PSVR but I am too much of a coward to get RE7. I couldn't even get through the Until Dawn demo, and it took me a couple times to get through kitchen. Once something creepy starts happening I get these incredible shivers down my spine and a feeling of wrongness. Can't do it.

lmao jesus

I disagree.

The answer seems quite obvious to me, in the game, it just doesn't slap you in the face with the answer in a note somewhere.

Ethan is infected with the same virus Mia and the Bakers are.

Spoo

It's really a shame that there aren't more experiences like RE7 on PSVR. It was an incredible experience, selling me on the future of VR, while simultaneously just being one of the best games I had played in a long time.

I would really like to see more developers doing what they did, by building an engine for their games which can support VR out of the box. I understand it's a huge investment, though.

Hopefully Capcom is secretly working on a VR dino crisis or something.

Afrocious

Not gonna click on spoiler tags in response to my question, but I literally just
'defeated' the dad in the garage.
then stopped.

I also did feel like
the reason Ethan can lose limbs and get them reattached might be related to the family somehow since I see the son get his hand sliced off and he treats it like it's no big deal

I have a hard enough time with horror games as it is so I did a non VR playthrough of RE7 first. I had the intention of going back for a replay in VR and shit, I honestly can't do it. Even though I know what's going to happen, playing it in VR is just insane in the best way possible.

I am with the OP on this. Not only is it the best PSVR experience to date, but arguably one of the best gaming experience I have had in the last 15 years, maybe ever.

This is the VR killer app that everyone is waiting for but are too scared to play.

Afrocious

first boss fight in VR was intense. but yeah, you can aim based on where you're looking. it works well.

doing that shit without a targeting reticule and dot though? that's a true hard mode

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably the best VR game to date, mainly because they made a game first not a VR experience.
But as a Resident Evil it's.....well....it's not, it's definitely a Capcom game and I think thats what people think is Resident Evil, but they could have named it something else and nobody would have known
even as a game on a normal TV I'd say wait for a sale.
But if you have VR definitely get it.

I'm holding off on playing the game so I can play it in VR for the first time. I don't care how long it takes; I'm playing this game in VR.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Probably the best VR game to date, mainly because they made a game first not a VR experience.
But as a Resident Evil it's.....well....it's not, it's definitely a Capcom game and I think thats what people think is Resident Evil, but they could have named it something else and nobody would have known
even as a game on a normal TV I'd say wait for a sale.
But if you have VR definitely get it.

It is completely Resident Evil. It has a mansion to explore, with lots of backtracking,obscure puzzles with key items you have to figure out to place where, inventory management with limited ammo, it has save rooms (complete with Ink Ribbons/Cassette tapes on Hard) and files to collect and read.

It's the most Resident Evil game in a really long time.

I gave up on VR fairly early out of fear and I so genuinely regret it. I'll never get that first playthrough back and even though I liked 7 I felt slightly dissatisfied. The lack of VR was likely the source of that.

Sigh.

Rosol

Neo Member
Ended up playing the first half in hour long bursts - due to fear, then the last half was a long binge. Excellent VR game, mostly because the game itself is really good, it's not really coasting on "VR is neat" to keep it interesting. The vr menu screen was awesome (really sets the mood), and I really enjoyed just 'taking my time' in the safe places, as it was a relief from the intense parts in this game. It really is intense and they did add a few touches just for VR that were nice. The sections where you have to hide and 'peek' to see area whole other level of immersion you wouldn't get on a standard screen.

This game is an example of how games can be greatly 'elevated' by adding VR immersion. Though, I'm not sure how many games can successfully adapt into VR like this because you do move rather slowly (by default) which helps with sickness - I imagine walking around at faster speeds is going to make a lot more people sick. Hopefully they can decouple view-aim for those on PC to use motion controlled aim - though if not it's still a worthwhile game.

Top Bottom