• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City teaser trailer

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
~Kinggi~ said:
lol, that is false sir!
RE4 is the only game in the series where I can even remember the soundtrack vaguely. But otherwise it always seems to end up as forgettable background noise. I love the franchise to death but soundtrack is definitely one of its weak areas.

Gravijah

DevilWillcry said:
RE4 is the only game in the series where I can even remember the soundtrack vaguely. But otherwise it always seems to end up as forgettable background noise. I love the franchise to death but soundtrack is definitely one of its weak areas.

What in the hell? RE without the amazing music wouldn't be RE. All of the awesome themes in the games. So good.

Especially stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7g1S-HQlHI

DevilWillcry said:
hey, a soundtrack you don't notice isn't necessarily bad.

personally i imported the RE soundtrack box from Japan though, so maybe i'm not the best person to talk to about this.

todahawk

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
that would actually be WORSE.

i see what you mean though. the entire time i was watching the trailer i was confused as to why they made RE4/RE5 part of the main series to begin with. a drastic departure from the main series. the quote from the RE:ORC guy saying how it's for the shooter fans and it's super action oriented, but it's RE so it has to have horror elements REALLY put it into perspective how much they've lost their grip on this franchise. that would be like miyamoto making Mindjack Mario and saying "yeah this is for the sci-fi shooter fans but it's a Mario game so we gotta have someone with a mustache somewhere in there".

I think there's a huge difference between RE dancing between the action/horror genre compared to Mario going cyberpunk... but i get your meaning.

RE4 still felt like a horror game to me and while I enjoyed RE5 it felt like too big of a departure. I understand while people feel the same way about RE4 but at it retained enough for me. The line of tolerance is different for everyone.

ArjanN

ViralMarketingDrone said:
I personally don't see how RE5 was any less horror than RE4. Was it the lack of a spooky castle?
I found RE5 to be a bit more tense even.

RE5 has more daylight settings, and is definately even more action oriented than 4. Then there's the co-op.

But the biggest tension killer is that all the setpieces felt rehashed from RE4.

sleepykyo

ViralMarketingDrone said:
I personally don't see how RE5 was any less horror than RE4. Was it the lack of a spooky castle?
I found RE5 to be a bit more tense even.

Maybe it is because Sheva (or Chris if you're playing as Sheva) takes away that sense of isolation?

Yuterald

DevilWillcry said:

O_O WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?

RE4 is probably the only game in the series where I can't even remember the soundtrack. The best thing about RE4's soundtrack is the fucking save file music and the "approaching merchant/safe area" track.

RE1-3 & Zero & Code Veronica take all sorts of shits on RE4's soundtrack. Old school RE music is some of the coolest video game music ever. Saying it's one of the franchises weakest areas is madness!

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
that would actually be WORSE.

i see what you mean though. the entire time i was watching the trailer i was confused as to why they made RE4/RE5 part of the main series to begin with. a drastic departure from the main series. the quote from the RE:ORC guy saying how it's for the shooter fans and it's super action oriented, but it's RE so it has to have horror elements REALLY put it into perspective how much they've lost their grip on this franchise. that would be like miyamoto making Mindjack Mario and saying "yeah this is for the sci-fi shooter fans but it's a Mario game so we gotta have someone with a mustache somewhere in there".
This is a horrible comparison. Resident evil may have a stronger emphasis on action but it still has maintained the same core. Besides mario has transcended many different genres including rpgs, puzzles,sports, racing and minigames.

A far more accurate comparison would be the widely regarded mario 64 which revolutionized mario and the industry with a stronger emphasis on adventure and an open world compared the previous mainline games. Resident evil 4 did the exact same thing. Then super mario sunshine came a long and expanded on mario 64s gameplay. While it got good reviews the fanbase reacted negatively calling it the weakest mainline mario which is exactly what happened with re5

Huge resident evil fan but trailer was a load of tosh, I seriously don't need to see the games logo that many times in a minute, once is enough thanks very much.

commedieu

Banned
I wish that Capcom still had the ability to make a good Resident Evil game.

They are going to fail at mimicking Left 4 dead because for some retarded reason they think the controls are the most familiar thing fans want of the franchise, not the gameplay/story/puzzles/strategy/zombies...

I am officially hating on this game.

silky-johnson.png

sleepykyo

commedieu said:
They are going to fail at mimicking Left 4 dead because for some retarded reason they think the controls are the most familiar thing fans want of the franchise, not the gameplay/story/puzzles/strategy/zombies...

There was moving and shooting. To me it looked more like Slant Six kept the Confrontation controls over RE controls.

commedieu

Banned
sleepykyo said:
There was moving and shooting. To me it looked more like Slant Six kept the Confrontation controlsover RE controls.

Its worse than I thought.... :D

I'll stay away from this thread. I'm still sad that my favorite RE game is 1-3, and I keep falling for these remakes that just fail to hit the mark. Its like my love with the AvP series.... or Fear... :\

Doomsayer

Every RE thread turns into a list war.

REMake is Resident Evil, seriously. From the atmosphere to the shitty dialogue. REMake will never be topped, unless Resident Evil 6 has Jill as the main with fucking zombies and B.O.W.s.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yuterald said:
O_O WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?

RE4 is probably the only game in the series where I can't even remember the soundtrack. The best thing about RE4's soundtrack is the fucking save file music and the "approaching merchant/safe area" track.

RE1-3 & Zero & Code Veronica take all sorts of shits on RE4's soundtrack. Old school RE music is some of the coolest video game music ever. Saying it's one of the franchises weakest areas is madness!

CV save room music beats all others!

DennisK4 said:
Definitive list:

RE4 > RE2 > RE5 > RE

NAAAH!...

List should be like: RE2 > RE:Remake > RE3 > RE4 >>>>> RE:CV > RE5

But if you put scores to it the first three are almost alike:

RE2: 10
RE:Remake: 9.8
RE3: 9.7
RE4: 9.7
RE:CV: 8.0
RE5: 8.0

That's based on scenery, fear driven in the game, characters, monsters, etc.

The trailer didn't sold me the game at all, but I'm still undecided and don't know what to ultimately think. For now I'll wait for more gameplay footage and maybe a better trailer to better judge the game.

I just hope it doesn't end up as another failed attempt to milk the series, just because it still has the RE brand. We'll see how it ends up.

Afrikan

This is obviously a spin off. What did people expect/want from a spin off?

This isn't your RE6...this game was going to happen no matter what...just like RE6 is being worked on as we speak.

I liked Socom Confrontation... I wonder if they'll have huge environments...being able to snipe a Zombie from far away would be cool...but I don't think they are using that engine...so I wonder what multiplat engine they are using....or maybe it is the Phyre engine.

Zen

Banned
I think it would be in Capcoms best interest to not reveal the developer behind their western collaboration projects. It immediately casts this huge cloud of doubt over everything. Can yo imagine if we knew about the developers behind Street Fighter IV and Smash brothers Brawl from day 1?

sleepykyo

Zen said:
I think it would be in Capcoms best interest to not reveal the developer behind their western collaboration projects. It immediately casts this huge cloud of doubt over everything. Can yo imagine if we knew about the developers behind Street Fighter IV and Smash brothers Brawl from day 1?

People knew about Dimps and Blue Castle before the game came out anyway.

Top Bottom